BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 49
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By XNARC:

Hey that’s great… thank you your service, but to see if there is some relationship here, or the ‘same exact scenario’ , just afew questions: you’re you know tooling around Baghdad, maybe stopped for some tea at the local  Starbucks, single man unit in your humvee,  get a call about a disturbance at a house,  you roll up leave the m4 between the seat and radio, you keep your beretta on safe and holstered, and then announce yourself at the door?  You’re at the door , or in the house and then someone appears with an kalashnikov, or a pistol and…take it from there?  And, if you used deadly force, you would be in some federal prison? Your branch of service sued for millions… just trying to see the similarities that’s all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:

I give a lot of people the benefit of the doubt in these circumstances because what happened is obviously a tragedy. But it is clear that lots of people don't have any ability to think critically about these types of incidents.

Lets say YOU, not a police officer, were walking door to door in this apartment complex, with your daughter, because she wanted to sell Girl Scout cookies. So you knocked on each door, yelled "Girl Scout Cookies", and waited. At this particular door, after knocking and announcing your purpose, the door swings open and our young Airman is standing there, holding a pistol. You draw your concealed pistol and shoot him.

Was that murder? Was that first degree murder? Using your logic, he is in his house with a firearm. He has brought that firearm to his door. Using your logic, no one at the other side of the door has any right to feel threatened, because a gun in a hand isn't threatening.

But of course the truth is that it is complicated and really boils down to how you, as the shooter, understood the facts presented to you. And if you thought the gun was MEANT to be threatening, you would have made a reasonable conclusion and even the most progressive anti-gun DAs office would have a hard time convincing anyone to the contrary. And a jury in most states, especially Florida, would have a hard time convicting you of any type of murder in the scenario presented above. And that is the standard that the sheriff will be held to, "what facts did he reasonably understand at the time of the shooting". And it is why when police show up at my door, or people I believe to be the police, I make sure that my hands are clear and visible. And it is also why I generally NEVER have a firearm in my hand when I am interacting with strangers. Which is very different from saying I am ever unarmed.

None of this is saying that the officer had to shoot the young man. But the mental dynamics so many people, including you, are applying to why he COULDN'T LEGALLY have shot him misses that there isn't a law enforcement agency that I know of in this country, and most other countries, where this shooting would be against law or policy. And that is what makes it a tragedy. No one loved this kid enough to tell him answering the door this way was a bad idea, or he had done it for long enough he thought it was good idea, and the exception proved it all wrong.
View Quote

No.  In your hypothetical I would not shoot the guy.  I would move myself and my girl scout out of the fatal funnel.  If I saw what that officer ACTUALLY saw, I probably wouldn’t have done anything.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

If he doesn't show hostile intent, I don't shoot him. This isn't theoretical to me. I cleared houses in Baghdad and Talafar for 2 years. I've been in this exact scenario, more than a few times. Lots of people with guns in houses, on the street...If they aren't making a move, you don't have to get it on.  

If I would have done what this Deputy did, in Baghdad, I would have violated the ROE. The enemy has to show hostile intent. So even if your claims that this was a legal shoot were legit (they aren't) it's a VERY sad day when our Army does better at protecting the basic rights of people in a 3rd world country we are occupying, than a Deputy can do in Florida.

The Deputy fucked up. He murdered a guy.

Thanks for playing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Existence of guns is not a threat. Cops can't just shoot someone open carrying on the street, nor can they do so in your own house. The Deputy had no provocation for his attack, and has no justification for claiming it was in defense of himself or others. It is murder / manslaughter.

I give a lot of people the benefit of the doubt in these circumstances because what happened is obviously a tragedy. But it is clear that lots of people don't have any ability to think critically about these types of incidents.

Lets say YOU, not a police officer, were walking door to door in this apartment complex, with your daughter, because she wanted to sell Girl Scout cookies. So you knocked on each door, yelled "Girl Scout Cookies", and waited. At this particular door, after knocking and announcing your purpose, the door swings open and our young Airman is standing there, holding a pistol. You draw your concealed pistol and shoot him.

Was that murder? Was that first degree murder? Using your logic, he is in his house with a firearm. He has brought that firearm to his door. Using your logic, no one at the other side of the door has any right to feel threatened, because a gun in a hand isn't threatening.

But of course the truth is that it is complicated and really boils down to how you, as the shooter, understood the facts presented to you. And if you thought the gun was MEANT to be threatening, you would have made a reasonable conclusion and even the most progressive anti-gun DAs office would have a hard time convincing anyone to the contrary. And a jury in most states, especially Florida, would have a hard time convicting you of any type of murder in the scenario presented above. And that is the standard that the sheriff will be held to, "what facts did he reasonably understand at the time of the shooting". And it is why when police show up at my door, or people I believe to be the police, I make sure that my hands are clear and visible. And it is also why I generally NEVER have a firearm in my hand when I am interacting with strangers. Which is very different from saying I am ever unarmed.

None of this is saying that the officer had to shoot the young man. But the mental dynamics so many people, including you, are applying to why he COULDN'T LEGALLY have shot him misses that there isn't a law enforcement agency that I know of in this country, and most other countries, where this shooting would be against law or policy. And that is what makes it a tragedy. No one loved this kid enough to tell him answering the door this way was a bad idea, or he had done it for long enough he thought it was good idea, and the exception proved it all wrong.

If he doesn't show hostile intent, I don't shoot him. This isn't theoretical to me. I cleared houses in Baghdad and Talafar for 2 years. I've been in this exact scenario, more than a few times. Lots of people with guns in houses, on the street...If they aren't making a move, you don't have to get it on.  

If I would have done what this Deputy did, in Baghdad, I would have violated the ROE. The enemy has to show hostile intent. So even if your claims that this was a legal shoot were legit (they aren't) it's a VERY sad day when our Army does better at protecting the basic rights of people in a 3rd world country we are occupying, than a Deputy can do in Florida.

Thanks for playing

I can't comprehend living a life where the mere sight of a weapon causes me to fear for my life, as seems to be the case for a few posters here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Hey that’s great… thank you your service, but to see if there is some relationship here, or the ‘same exact scenario’ , just afew questions: you’re you know tooling around Baghdad, maybe stopped for some tea at the local  Starbucks, single man unit in your humvee,  get a call about a disturbance at a house,  you roll up leave the m4 between the seat and radio, you keep your beretta on safe and holstered, and then announce yourself at the door?  You’re at the door , or in the house and then someone appears with an kalashnikov, or a pistol and…take it from there?  And, if you used deadly force, and charged, would your jury be made up of btdt soldiers, or would they draw from the citizens of Baghdad, and then you would be in some federal prison? Your branch of service sued for millions… just trying to see the similarities that’s all.
View All Quotes

Thanks for playing

Hey that’s great… thank you your service, but to see if there is some relationship here, or the ‘same exact scenario’ , just afew questions: you’re you know tooling around Baghdad, maybe stopped for some tea at the local  Starbucks, single man unit in your humvee,  get a call about a disturbance at a house,  you roll up leave the m4 between the seat and radio, you keep your beretta on safe and holstered, and then announce yourself at the door?  You’re at the door , or in the house and then someone appears with an kalashnikov, or a pistol and…take it from there?  And, if you used deadly force, and charged, would your jury be made up of btdt soldiers, or would they draw from the citizens of Baghdad, and then you would be in some federal prison? Your branch of service sued for millions… just trying to see the similarities that’s all.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Thanks for playing
View Quote

This department struggles with the other ROE requirement too... positive ID... they don't let that stop from mag dumping their own cruisers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Pioneer1:
This is the huge disconnect.

People need to know these things. If a cop can smoke you for holding a remote in your hand at your door, there should literally be public service warnings on billboards saying 'citizens be aware, if you have anything in your hands when you open a door, a cop can by law, and is likely to smoke you in the name of him going home safe that night.

Then, knowledge and conversations can be had, and the laws that allow this be addressed to citizens' satisfaction.

Just the statement by cops, after the fact that "well, dumbass, you shouldn't have come to the door with a gun" when it is legal and a constitutionally protected activity just doesn't cut it.
And then they are cleared of any wrongdoing by the investigation. Either we have the right, and can expect not to get executed over it, or we really don't have the right.

I've personally never answered the door for anyone with a gun in my hand. I HAVE however, answered the door for a rando with a gun tucked in my back waistband.

From now on, I'm just not answering the door period they can just FO.
View Quote

Good post regarding the disconnect between the law and law enforcement.  Essentially the disconnect is that citizens must comply with the law while LEO must only comply with “policy”.  Example:  You open up on a stranger that answers the door with a gun in his hand, business end in a safe direction, nothing but daylight seen through the trigger guard:  Life in prison.

Cop opens up on a stranger that answers the door with a gun in his hand, business end in a safe direction, nothing but daylight seen through the trigger guard: Cop followed department policy regarding deadly use of force and he enjoys his vacation.

Cops love their policy carve out in the law.  Citizens hate the thought of being killed by mistake and a cocksucker walks because “policy”.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:

I can't comprehend living a life where the mere sight of a weapon causes me to fear for my life, as seems to be the case for a few posters here.
View Quote

This right here.  This thread has seriously made me reflect upon my own thought process regarding the presence of weapons.  Is there something wrong with me?  I just assume EVERYONE is armed, and in my AO I don’t think that’s far off from reality.  If I happen to see it my first thought is “Oooh, what’s that?”.  It just doesn’t raise my blood pressure unless someone is being stupid/unsafe or acting with malice.

Also the issue of “Brandishing”:  Police officer unholsters weapon, possibly even points it because of window tint he can’t see through:  Not brandishing

Citizen holding weapon in ANY fashion: Brandishing
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

What an idiotic response.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: XNARC] [#9]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:

View All Quotes

Why would I respond to an idiotic ‘I cleared houses in a combat zone with the same exact scenario and if I would have done what the deputy did I would have violated the roe’  posting, with anything other that an idiotic response?

Did you read the post I responded to or just talking out your ass? He goes on to say, after combat ops of clearing occupied houses, he did more to protect the rights of 3rd workd citizen than this deputy? To draw any parallells to this incident is beyond  laughable to almost an bizarre obsession with maintaining outrage against police

I’m waiting on the ‘ I work in a gun shop and I faced the exact same scenario this deputy had, and if I shot someone for just holding a gun in his hand, I’d be charged and thrown under the jail’ posting… or did I miss it!?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

Attachment Attached File

View Quote
The cop has the drop on him and he is not making any aggressive move

Pulling the trigger at that point is murder
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:53:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixgunner45] [#11]

Why would I respond to an idiotic ‘I cleared houses in a combat zone with the same exact scenario and if I would have done what the deputy did I would have violated the roe’  posting, with anything other that an idiotic response?

Did you read the post I responded to or just talking out your ass? He goes on to say, after combat ops of clearing occupied houses, he did more to protect the rights of 3rd workd citizen than this deputy? To draw any parallells to this incident is beyond  laughable to almost an bizarre obsession with maintaining outrage against police

I’m waiting on the ‘ I work in a gun shop and I faced the exact same scenario this deputy had, and if I shot someone for just holding a gun in his hand, I’d be charged and thrown under the jail’ posting… or did I miss it!?
View All Quotes

Doubling down on idiocy
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]

This right here.  This thread has seriously made me reflect upon my own thought process regarding the presence of weapons.  Is there something wrong with me?  I just assume EVERYONE is armed, and in my AO I don’t think that’s far off from reality.  If I happen to see it my first thought is “Oooh, what’s that?”.  It just doesn’t raise my blood pressure unless someone is being stupid/unsafe or acting with malice.

Also the issue of “Brandishing”:  Police officer unholsters weapon, possibly even points it because of window tint he can’t see through:  Not brandishing

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:

For me, 1. it's the McChicken. 2. If I'm going to get shot by someone with a gun, odds are I'm not going to see the gun, and if I do see the gun it's probably already leveled at me, it's going happen before I can doing anything about it. So in most circumstances, fait accompli, otherwise cover and draw.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Thanks for playing

Soldiers fall under UCMJ. Investigating officers (essentially DA's) are appointed for suspected ROE violations. Most of these people are probably not best characterized as BTDT. They are more commonly paper pushing administrative people. Depending on the severity of the charge it can be decided a few ways: By Commanders essentially acting as judges, and or Juries.

And yes, when you wrongfully kill someone in a warzone, death payments are typically made to the family. The amounts vary.

In my experience, a shoot first and ask questions later Soldier, doing what this Deputy did, would be held accountable under the most common ROE (depending on where/when and the ROE that can change). With a video like this (we didn't have body or helmet cams in my day) I would suspect that a Soldier would be fired and summarily punished (loss of rank and pay) and a bad conduct discharge, at a minimum. It's very possible that they get charged for crimes for violation of ROE and LOAC. Keep in mind that this is for killing someone who is not a US citizen, in a declared warzone.

Personally, if I used this shoot first approach; of shooting someone for being armed at, or just through the door... I would have killed a half dozen Iraqis who really weren't threatening me. They were just armed at their home. Since I don't like killing people, murder or jail, I chose to assess the threat and give them a chance to submit, which they all did. Which is what 99% of armed people will do when confronted by an armed agent of the state.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#14]

No.  In your hypothetical I would not shoot the guy.  I would move myself and my girl scout out of the fatal funnel.  If I saw what that officer ACTUALLY saw, I probably wouldn’t have done anything.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583190/592C06B9-7C30-47EE-AD9B-72F8506CB060_jpe-3212478.JPG
View All Quotes

No.  In your hypothetical I would not shoot the guy.  I would move myself and my girl scout out of the fatal funnel.  If I saw what that officer ACTUALLY saw, I probably wouldn’t have done anything.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583190/592C06B9-7C30-47EE-AD9B-72F8506CB060_jpe-3212478.JPG

I'm guessing he had already decided to shoot by the time that left hand went up. It seems most likely, given the timing that he made the decision, drew and shot the instant he saw a weapon.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

We can't know that the victim knew it was a cop, he's dead.  Kinda hard to ask him what he knew.

100% bullshit that he was brandishing.  Holding a gun pointed down by your side is not brandishing.  May be tactically poor, but not brandishing, and not illegal, ESPECIALLY in your own residence.

Cops own worst enemies are cops and departments like this.
View Quote

Well, he or another male voice in the apartment says "police". That is on the audio from the bodycam.

Now, did he think it was the police? Who knows. We have no idea. We have no idea what occurred prior to or during the initiation of the contact. It will take time to see.

If he did think it was the police and chose to come armed to the door, it is not a choice I can't see any reasonable GDer choosing. Shoot, I wouldn't have done it. This isn't a case of where you are a victim calling the police but you are likely involved in a criminal incident and the police are showing up.

Now for a tactical analysis- that apartment sucks. End of a walkway with no easy sidestep. He can't just step back to increase distance and we don't know the location of the officer without doing a comparison to the bodycam from a known position. He showed up alone and tried to make contact, when there was no rush to. Bad position and then likely shocked to have a guy open the door holding a gun. Especially when you can hear the person probably thought it was the police at the door.

So, why would a person involved in a likely criminal incident answer the door for the police holding a gun?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#16]

No.  In your hypothetical I would not shoot the guy.  I would move myself and my girl scout out of the fatal funnel.  If I saw what that officer ACTUALLY saw, I probably wouldn't have done anything.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583190/592C06B9-7C30-47EE-AD9B-72F8506CB060_jpe-3212478.JPG
View All Quotes

No.  In your hypothetical I would not shoot the guy.  I would move myself and my girl scout out of the fatal funnel.  If I saw what that officer ACTUALLY saw, I probably wouldn't have done anything.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/583190/592C06B9-7C30-47EE-AD9B-72F8506CB060_jpe-3212478.JPG
Yeah, there is no way I'd blast the guy. I'd pull my daughter away and around the corner as quickly as possible rather than initiating a gun fight with someone inside their own home.

I'd also be inclined to think the firearm was a defensive mechanism on their part, whereas the slamming and yelling is an "offensive" (or "initiating") move on my part. That would be part of my consideration in this circumstance.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#17]

I'm guessing he had already decided to shoot by the time that left hand went up. It seems most likely, given the timing that he made the decision, drew and shot the instant he saw a weapon.
View All Quotes

Absolutely. There was no actual threat assessment done. It was nothing more than “see gun = shoot”.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By UV18:

Well, he or another male voice in the apartment says "police". That is on the audio from the bodycam.

Now, did he think it was the police? Who knows. We have no idea. We have no idea what occurred prior to or during the initiation of the contact. It will take time to see.

If he did think it was the police and chose to come armed to the door, it is not a choice I can't see any reasonable GDer choosing. Shoot, I wouldn't have done it. This isn't a case of where you are a victim calling the police but you are likely involved in a criminal incident and the police are showing up.

Now for a tactical analysis- that apartment sucks. End of a walkway with no easy sidestep. He can't just step back to increase distance and we don't know the location of the officer without doing a comparison to the bodycam from a known position. He showed up alone and tried to make contact, when there was no rush to. Bad position and then likely shocked to have a guy open the door holding a gun. Especially when you can hear the person probably thought it was the police at the door.

So, why would a person involved in a likely criminal incident answer the door for the police holding a gun?
View All Quotes

We can't know that the victim knew it was a cop, he's dead.  Kinda hard to ask him what he knew.

100% bullshit that he was brandishing.  Holding a gun pointed down by your side is not brandishing.  May be tactically poor, but not brandishing, and not illegal, ESPECIALLY in your own residence.

"Likely criminal incident"? I thought that the victim being alone in the apartment was generally agreed upon. As such, did the dead guy know that he was engaged in a "likely criminal incident" by himself in his home?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

What a foolish take.

The cop was the only criminal here
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

My AV sucks, and my hearing sucks. But I don't take it as a given fact that anyone said police or even if it was heard, that it was from him or even his apartment.

Does anyone actually hear someone say police in the video? I can't hear anything. I just see the subtitle... That subtitle I assume was put there by the acorn shooting sheriff department.

At the end of the day, the deputy instantly shot a guy answering his door, for holding a gun in his own home. A guy who showed no signs of hostility or threat. Everything else is pretty irrelevant.  

Here is a future look at Deputy shoot first meeting with his lawyers and Union rep in a few weeks

Heat (1995) - I Had To Get It On

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#21]

My AV sucks, and my hearing sucks. But I don't take it as a given fact that anyone said police or even if it was heard, that it was from him or even his apartment.

Does anyone actually hear someone say police in the video? I can't hear anything. I just see the subtitle... That subtitle I assume was put there by the acorn shooting sheriff department.

At the end of the day, the deputy instantly shot a guy answering his door, for holding a gun in his own home. A guy who showed no signs of hostility or threat. Everything else is pretty irrelevant.  

Here is a future look at Deputy shoot first meeting with his lawyers and Union rep in a few weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gdbUZXC3Go
View Quote

3:40 mark in the video.

Here it is on Reddit-

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThisIsButter/comments/1cokiha/bodycam_video_shows_fatal_shooting_of_air_force/
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:45:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: XNARC] [#22]

Soldiers fall under UCMJ. Investigating officers (essentially DA's) are appointed for suspected ROE violations. Most of these people are probably not best characterized as BTDT. They are more commonly paper pushing administrative people. Depending on the severity of the charge it can be decided a few ways: By Commanders essentially acting as judges, and or Juries.

And yes, when you wrongfully kill someone in a warzone, death payments are typically made to the family. The amounts vary.

In my experience, a shoot first and ask questions later Soldier, doing what this Deputy did, would be held accountable under the most common ROE (depending on where/when and the ROE that can change). With a video like this (we didn't have body or helmet cams in my day) I would suspect that a Soldier would be fired and summarily punished (loss of rank and pay) and a bad conduct discharge, at a minimum. It's very possible that they get charged for crimes for violation of ROE and LOAC. Keep in mind that this is for killing someone who is not a US citizen, in a declared warzone.

Personally, if I used this shoot first approach; of shooting someone for being armed at, or just through the door... I would have killed a half dozen Iraqis who really weren't threatening me. They were just armed at their home. Since I don't like killing people, murder or jail, I chose to assess the threat and give them a chance to submit, which they all did. Which is what 99% of armed people will do when confronted by an armed agent of the state.
View Quote

Yes thanks for the reply, I wouldn’t know I just spent my time  2004 thru 2007 playing call of duty or  my police experience ends with grand theft auto… so, when you say protect the rights, there is no real due process when youre conducting combat ops, is there, no warrants to intercept phone calls, email, you didn’t require a written consent or go find a neutral magistrate to issue a search warrant for those houses, or picking up or detaining a hvt, or anyone for that matter, you protected rights by gaining an arrest warrant thru a  judge… and more likely than not during that time period if charged and went to a jury, a better percentage of soldiers on the jury would have at least one deployment and considering the numbers deployed, actually be hard pressed to find a cubicle jockey who never deployed?

So the exact scenario would have the deputy, pretty much entering houses based on nothing more than at the most, an order from sheriff leadership? And, even not mentioned in your response, but with an overwhelming armed team, m4s, a saw amongst the team  somewhere, maybe, just maybe a perimeter with more, or are you saying you went alone? To parallel your experience, If he was brought up on charges, it would only be by command staff at the sheriffs office, and based on what you said instead of soldiers, his jury would be made up of sheriffs office deputies? If needed, instead of  a CAG making  a payout for the unwarranted death, it would become an office within the sheriff’s department that cuts a check for say $2,500? I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because i just dont see any similarities to your experience and the deputy’s incident.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TGE:
"Likely criminal incident"? I thought that the victim being alone in the apartment was generally agreed upon. As such, did the dead guy know that he was engaged in a "likely criminal incident" by himself in his home?
View Quote

Can I punch you in your face and you leave, but a crime still occurred?

A DV incident is a likely criminal incident.

But if he thought it was the police, why would he answer the door holding a gun?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Seriously, you would have gotten fired, or really just adding to the outrage? Have you looked at say the past dozen shootings involving any of the federal law enforcement agencies and applied that triangle, and if not followed, anyone arrested, was anyone fired, and that would include the marshals task force guys since they operate under federal guidelines.
View Quote

Well it sure was drilled in to us that if we didn’t have the triangle met and pulled the trigger, we were unfit to be a federal LEO and wouldn’t be graduating. Which wouldn’t have gotten me “fired” since my rating is as a mechanic and being a CG boarding officer was just another job I had to do at the same time.

But I guess looking back since I never wore a body camera, I had a free pass to murder the duck hunters with shotguns not pointed at us, the commercial fisherman just because they had a gun for shooting sharks in their nets, and everyone else who happened to be holding a gun just because you know… going to level 6 is a lot more fun than verbal tasks, consequences, LEAPS… I mean fuck all that boring stuff, let’s get it on
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Here it is on Reddit-

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThisIsButter/comments/1cokiha/bodycam_video_shows_fatal_shooting_of_air_force/
View Quote

That is an amazingly clear video and the best one I’ve seen so far.  I honestly can’t make out ANYTHING the victim is saying until the door is open.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Considering that the neighbor heard a supposed “slap through the wall,” I don’t know how the Airman could have known he was even suspected of domestic violence. I guess if he had actually been beating the shit out of the girlfriend he probably should have expected a LE knock on the door.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#27]

But if he thought it was the police, why would he answer the door holding a gun?
View Quote

The probability that he DID NOT know it was the police is significant to a degree it cannot be ruled out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

The only reasonable answer to that last question is he either thought he could win a gunfight with the cops GTA style, or it was suicide by cop. And if that was his plan, he sure did both options wrong by opening the door with the gun down low and his left hand up
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TAG_Match] [#29]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

Considering that the neighbor heard a supposed “slap through the wall,” I don’t know how the Airman could have known he was even suspected of domestic violence. I guess if he had actually been beating the shit out of the girlfriend he probably should have expected a LE knock on the door.
View Quote

If a slap actually WAS heard it was the airman enthusiastic spanking the monkey.  I’m not convinced he said “police”.  It is at least equally probable that he had no prior knowledge that he was involved in a police encounter.  If it had been suggested first he approached the door saying “ni&&a please” as many would have latched on to that as fact.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By xd675:
Pay attention to the gif.  Even the FoV on that extended view unit does not clear the area against the wall just beyond the door frame where the officer spends much of his time.

Unless the deceased happened to be looking through the peep at just the right time when the officer crossed the door its doubtful he sees anything.
View Quote

That gif is BS.  I live in a high end complex that was built within the last decade and just checked my peephole. Based on where the deputy was standing when the door opened I wouldn't be able to see him.  At best if I looked down I might see his foot. Like you say the only time he would have been identifiable was when he crossed the path of the peephole and he intentionally avoided that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:19:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prolapsed_cranium] [#31]
View Quote

You wouldn't be hiding like a burglar while doing this among other things and would have only knocked once.

Take a Xanax and come back with a non-woman-ish argument that fits the situation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#32]

The probability that he DID NOT know it was the police is significant to a degree it cannot be ruled out.
View Quote

Correct. Police and polease could sound close enough. Nothing to say it is 100%.

Either way, answering the door at 1630 with a gun in a nice apt complex is not a typical response.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Yes thanks for the reply, I wouldn’t know I just spent my time  2004 thru 2007 playing call of duty or  my police experience ends with grand theft auto… so, when you say protect the rights, there is no real due process when youre conducting combat ops, is there, no warrants to intercept phone calls, email, you didn’t require a written consent or go find a neutral magistrate to issue a search warrant for those houses, or picking up or detaining a hvt, or anyone for that matter, you protected rights by gaining an arrest warrant thru a  judge… and more likely than not during that time period if charged and went to a jury, a better percentage of soldiers on the jury would have at least one deployment and considering the numbers deployed, actually be hard pressed to find a cubicle jockey who never deployed?

So the exact scenario would have the deputy, pretty much entering houses based on nothing more than at the most, an order from sheriff leadership? And, even not mentioned in your response, but with an overwhelming armed team, m4s, a saw amongst the team  somewhere, maybe, just maybe a perimeter with more, or are you saying you went alone? To parallel your experience, If he was brought up on charges, it would only be by command staff at the sheriffs office, and based on what you said instead of soldiers, his jury would be made up of sheriffs office deputies? If needed, instead of  a CAG making  a payout for the unwarranted death, it would become an office within the sheriff’s department that cuts a check for say $2,500? I guess we will just have to agree to disagree because i just dont see any similarities to your experience and the deputy’s incident.
View All Quotes

But here's the thing. None of the things you are yammering on about are the critical thing being examined here. What are the critical things that happened? A door opened, and an armed agent of the state, met an armed civilian. The key question is if and when to shoot said civilian?

This is a scenario I have trained for and seen. You typically aren't allowed to just presume armed people mean to kill you, and kill them preemptively on sight. They have to do something threatening, make a football move so to speak. You have to give them an opportunity to either surrender or begin to get it on. This Deputy immediately drew, and shot the Airmen on sight of a weapon. That's murder, and unacceptable in a law enforcement context, as well as most military context.  

It looks real bad that while the deputy was getting it on, the victim did nothing but show signs of submission. If the Deputy had taken a fraction of a second to evaluate, he would have seen that. Instead he shit his pants and murdered a guy as fast as he could.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Good post regarding the disconnect between the law and law enforcement.  Essentially the disconnect is that citizens must comply with the law while LEO must only comply with “policy”.  Example:  You open up on a stranger that answers the door with a gun in his hand, business end in a safe direction, nothing but daylight seen through the trigger guard:  Life in prison.

Cop opens up on a stranger that answers the door with a gun in his hand, business end in a safe direction, nothing but daylight seen through the trigger guard: Cop followed department policy regarding deadly use of force and he enjoys his vacation.

Cops love their policy carve out in the law.  Citizens hate the thought of being killed by mistake and a cocksucker walks because “policy”.
View Quote

Policy is more times than not, more restrictive than state law federal law, which is why you can see this deputy ‘canned’ for being outside policy, but not face criminal charges as a prosecutor doesn’t think they can prove a crime. So yes, regardless of the gd chatter, he will be held to a higher standard
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Unless you believe in pre-crime, or thought crime, the answer to your question is irrelevant. The Airman never presented a threat to the Deputy, did not do anything illegal in the presence of the Deputy, nor did he ever say or do anything of the slightest threatening manner to anyone.

He could have been thinking to himself "man let me get my pistol, I'm going to go shoot this pig in the face" and it changes nothing about what actually happened. Unless you can post up the FL thought crime statute. Then I will stand corrected.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Here it is on Reddit-

View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gdbUZXC3Go

Here it is on Reddit-

I turned my volume all the way up, and it does kinda sound like he says "poh-lease" in an accent that reminds me of watching the wire.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Correct. Police and polease could sound close enough. Nothing to say it is 100%.

Either way, answering the door at 1630 with a gun in a nice apt complex is not a typical response.
View Quote

Blasting a dude in his own house upon initial contact isn’t typical either.  Granted it’s becoming more popular authority asserting tactic among the police, but still pretty atypical at this time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
NOT A CRIME!!!   Yet he's dead.  Fuck that
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Policy is more times than not, more restrictive than state law federal law, which is why you can see this deputy ‘canned’ for being outside policy, but not face criminal charges as a prosecutor doesn’t think they can prove a crime. So yes, regardless of the gd chatter, he will be held to a higher standard
View All Quotes

You seem to be unusually pessimistic when it comes to an officer facing repercussions.  I do not share your opinion that he will face any significant professional sanctions.  Maybe we will revisit this subject in the future?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#40]

You seem to be unusually pessimistic when it comes to an officer facing repercussions.  I do not share your opinion that he will face any significant professional sanctions.  Maybe we will revisit this subject in the future?
View Quote

That’s me, Mr Pessimistic, so many variables. I’ve seen criminal charges and a law enforcement agency and if union, the union stand behind the guy. And, I’ve seen policy where the sheriff can pretty much can you because a deputy parted his hair the wrong way ( just an exaggeration, i have no proof) but policies can be vague enough to can someone for bad optics.

That’s why I say it’s not a good shoot not a bad shoot, is it within policy and the law..
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

A new theory emerges! He was beating his g/f but she left right before the cop arrived lol
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#42]

Considering that the neighbor heard a supposed "slap through the wall," I don't know how the Airman could have known he was even suspected of domestic violence. I guess if he had actually been beating the shit out of the girlfriend he probably should have expected a LE knock on the door.
View All Quotes

Considering that the neighbor heard a supposed "slap through the wall," I don't know how the Airman could have known he was even suspected of domestic violence. I guess if he had actually been beating the shit out of the girlfriend he probably should have expected a LE knock on the door.
The alleged slap, heard but never actually seen, and no one knows who slapped who, which apartment the alleged slapping sound came from, or even if a slap ever actually occurred at all... That was from a couple weeks ago, long prior to this guy getting lit up.

To the best our knowledge, victim was alone in his apartment when Quickdraw McGraw came around pounding on the door and yelling.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:32:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thesquidliest] [#43]
25 pages in and it looks like GD is failing to realize the plain, ugly truth.

Just like Deckard's boss told him in Blade Runner , "You're not cop, you're little people."  Cops can and will get away shit that the little people can't, up to and including executing individuals inside their homes doing lawful activities, regardless of the circumstances.

I personally don't think there's any point to continue arguing about shit that isn't going to change, no matter how egregiously cops fuck up.  Just treat all police encounters accordingly (especially if you are a minority), and don't open your door to cops unless they have a search warrant in hand; the risks of doing otherwise are obviously too great.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#44]

But here's the thing. None of the things you are yammering on about are the critical thing being examined here. What are the critical things that happened? A door opened, and an armed agent of the state, met an armed civilian. The key question is if and when to shoot said civilian?

This is a scenario I have trained for and seen. You typically aren't allowed to just presume armed people mean to kill you, and kill them preemptively on sight. They have to do something threatening, make a football move so to speak. You have to give them an opportunity to either surrender or begin to get it on. This Deputy immediately drew, and shot the Airmen on sight of a weapon. That's murder, and unacceptable in a law enforcement context, as well as most military context.  

It looks real bad that while the deputy was getting it on, the victim did nothing but show signs of submission. If the Deputy had taken a fraction of a second to evaluate, he would have seen that. Instead he shit his pants and murdered a guy as fast as he could.
View Quote

Yeah, my bad just trying to figure out how you equate the deputy’s actions and  your version of combat operations clearing houses.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Has it be hypothesized yet that the airman also heard the DV? He armed himself thinking it might be a neighbor in danger knocking at his door?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

Possibly.  Indeed possibly.

Or is it a possible criminal incident.  Did it happen?  You dont know, but its possible, not likely.  Responding to every call for service believing a crime has likely been committed without an investigation beginning is poor form.

Its not just "the door"...  Its his door.  And further y'all TBL'ers seem to have a problem, on what is supposed to be a pro-gun board, with someone exercising their 2nd Amendment right on a private domicile.  It would be one thing if the airman possessed a firearm and acted out with aggression and malice, but I didnt see any of that.  If its OK to shoot people with guns because of mere presence, that slope gets awful slippery with the blood of innocents and perpetrators whether they have a badge or not
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By thesquidliest:

I personally don't think there's any point to continue arguing about shit that isn't going to change, no matter how egregiously cops fuck up.  Just treat all police encounters accordingly (especially if you are a minority), and don't open your door to cops unless they have a search warrant in hand; the risks of doing otherwise are obviously too great.
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Deepsouth:

Yep, 'cop sees black man with a gun' .... bang bang bang bang bang bang

That's all you need to need to know the direction this will go

View Quote

Crump is a advocate for crump… but he has a template for this, demand an outside agency review, there will be, but he’ll then say the fbi, he’ll say if it was a white airman, they would have already convened a grand jury, all they want is for the facts and circumstances to be heard by a grand jury, so he’s saying grand jury regardless of the investigation outcome, if the grand jury convenes and will not indict, he’ll continue on saying the family is just seeking justice, where’s his day in court, if the deputy is indicted and goes to trial and not convicted, he’ll demand a conviction and go on and systemic racism, and he’ll be probing to see how apt that county is to a settlement (does anyone know if he had ever sued in court  by way of actual trial or all just settled?), maybe there’s a state limit imposed, or he’ll look at the makeup of the county board that will ultimately vote to approve any settlement.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By thesquidliest:
25 pages in and it looks like GD is failing to realize the plain, ugly truth.

Just like Deckard's boss told him in Blade Runner , "You're not cop, you're little people."  Cops can and will get away shit that the little people can't, up to and including executing individuals inside their homes doing lawful activities, regardless of the circumstances.

View Quote

Never get out of the boat open the door.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Crump is a advocate for crump… but he has a template for this, demand an outside agency review, there will be, but he’ll then say the fbi, he’ll say if it was a white airman, they would have already convened a grand jury, all they want is for the facts and circumstances to be heard by a grand jury, so he’s saying grand jury regardless of the investigation outcome, if the grand jury convenes and will not indict, he’ll continue on saying the family is just seeking justice, where’s his day in court, if the deputy is indicted and goes to trial and not convicted, he’ll demand a conviction and go on and systemic racism, and he’ll be probing to see how apt that county is to a settlement (does anyone know if he had ever sued in court  by way of actual trial or all just settled?), maybe there’s a state limit imposed, or he’ll look at the makeup of the county board that will ultimately vote to approve any settlement.
View Quote

And that guy that was someone’s son will still be dead as fuck.
Page / 49
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top