[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
There is no process.
View Quote

If purchased retail you just RMA.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
They will replace them all with foreigners in a few months after putting hiring adds out and refusing to hire Americans
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Anybody who thinks this is related to DEI has no clue how this industry works. Semiconductor companies may be the vanguard of this nonsense, but the demands are such that ability is what rules the roost. If you actually relied on DEI, you'd be dead in a year.
View Quote

@Zhukov Have you been following the Intel CPU issues with the supposed contamination/oxidization found on, at least, some of the 13th Gen parts as well as the micro-code over voltage issue that causes stability issues and potential degradation?
I was wondering if my theory makes sense at all, obviously without knowing the full picture of both those issues with specific details, but I'd imagine you would have much better knowledge on the issue than my layman/hobbyist understanding.

Intel has this supposed oxidization issue in the vias, I believe affecting both power and data, that can lead to continuity issues and increased resistance.
Intel notices potential issues while also working on the microcode and goes a bit aggressive with pushing high voltage to keep clocks high and the chip stable.

This causes a feedback loop of... the oxidized chips having higher resistance, causing more heat, which causes more resistance, which causes the microcode to up the voltage to keep everything stable, which just makes it worse and worse.
This same microcode is also used on 14th Gen chips that may not have the oxidization issue but because the microcode profiles are so aggressive with voltage, overtime is degrades the silicon, which then effectively starts the same feedback loop.

I could be way off base but that was my understanding of the basics back when I was doing my sub-zero overclocking with dry ice and the info I've absorbed over the last 20years.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Anybody who thinks this is related to DEI has no clue how this industry works. Semiconductor companies may be the vanguard of this nonsense, but the demands are such that ability is what rules the roost. If you actually relied on DEI, you'd be dead in a year.
View Quote
Their #1 issue is that their product doesn't really have any super profitable end markets.  Laptops/desktops/servers aren't what they used to be.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
They will replace them all with foreigners in a few months after putting hiring adds out and refusing to hire Americans
View Quote

Offshoring is the new (old) thing. They're not even bothering to import them on visas now. They can work from there without having to pay for US benefits, etc.

Those paranoid posts about wfh during the pandemic backfiring have come true.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By LordEC911:

@Zhukov Have you been following the Intel CPU issues with the supposed contamination/oxidization found on, at least, some of the 13th Gen parts as well as the micro-code over voltage issue that causes stability issues and potential degradation?
I was wondering if my theory makes sense at all, obviously without knowing the full picture of both those issues with specific details, but I'd imagine you would have much better knowledge on the issue than my layman/hobbyist understanding.

Intel has this supposed oxidization issue in the vias, I believe affecting both power and data, that can lead to continuity issues and increased resistance.
Intel notices potential issues while also working on the microcode and goes a bit aggressive with pushing high voltage to keep clocks high and the chip stable.

This causes a feedback loop of... the oxidized chips having higher resistance, causing more heat, which causes more resistance, which causes the microcode to up the voltage to keep everything stable, which just makes it worse and worse.
This same microcode is also used on 14th Gen chips that may not have the oxidization issue but because the microcode profiles are so aggressive with voltage, overtime is degrades the silicon, which then effectively starts the same feedback loop.

I could be way off base but that was my understanding of the basics back when I was doing my sub-zero overclocking with dry ice and the info I've absorbed over the last 20years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You're accurate in what has been reported so far.

13th and 14th Gen are very similar. A lot of outlets gave 14th Gen a lot of shit for being barely any better than 13th Gen.

Remember when Intel was on the tick-tock schedule? The tock was basically binned/optimized variants of the tick generation. Thats what they did with 14th Gen because they 'had' to throw something out there to compete with AMD 7000 series chips. AMD is about to release 9000 series and Intel doesn't appear to have anything thats going to compete especially when you look at power use. A 7800X3D is HALF the TDP of the 14900k and you will never notice a difference in gaming (assuming everything else is the same).

Intel was feeling the heat and their only option was shove as much power into their chips as they could which has come to bite themselves in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:25:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rebel31] [#8]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:

Offshoring is the new (old) thing. They're not even bothering to import them on visas now. They can work from there without having to pay for US benefits, etc.

View All Quotes

Those companies that think they can pay an Indian to replace an American are suffering but the executives that sign off on it get to walk away laughing all the way to the bank.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:40:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LordEC911] [#10]

I've been following a little bit, but when it comes to that kind of stuff you pretty much need a PhD in physics and I just ain't that smart.

Let's just say I'm super happy not to be an engineer involved on that debug because it must be hell. You really don't know stress until silicon comes back, and you start getting Teams messages or emails from people in the lab that your shift isn't working. Once you progress to multiple-times-a-day debug meetings which include ever-higher levels of management, you start reevaluating your chosen profession and a job at Home Depot starts sounding pretty good...
View All Quotes

I've been following a little bit, but when it comes to that kind of stuff you pretty much need a PhD in physics and I just ain't that smart.

Let's just say I'm super happy not to be an engineer involved on that debug because it must be hell. You really don't know stress until silicon comes back, and you start getting Teams messages or emails from people in the lab that your shift isn't working. Once you progress to multiple-times-a-day debug meetings which include ever-higher levels of management, you start reevaluating your chosen profession and a job at Home Depot starts sounding pretty good...

Aww dang... thought this would be right up your alley with your power management expertise.Thanks for your response and insight.

I used to be the guy that would have to send the email from the lab about how, "Device XXX is completely fucked, here is the data I have gathered so far. What do you want me to do?"
Then over the next week, my original email has 40-80 replies to it while adding more people and departments. If I got bored, I would read through it and try to figure out WTF they were talking about.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:
Who remembers Cyrix? We need a resurgence….
View Quote

Oh fuck no!
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

It was happening before Covid on a large scale and it fucking sucked.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Tell me you haven't worked there without telling me you haven't worked there.

I spent many years there in pre-si, post-si, platform architecture, and SoC architecture. While the problems they face aren't strictly DEI, the general trend of rewarding the wrong behavior and making questionable hiring decisions has been occurring there for over 20 years
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 12:15:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LordEC911] [#15]

So you're one of them? I plain out told the guy that he's not allowed to do that on a Friday afternoon (uncannily, it happened that way several times) and that he should let me enjoy my weekend before dropping a boulder on my mood.

In regards to power management: I work on things that reduce/affect power consumption at any given moment. The stuff you're talking about are long-term silicon effects that are a completely different animal.
View All Quotes

Aww dang... thought this would be right up your alley with your power management expertise.Thanks for your response and insight.

I used to be the guy that would have to send the email from the lab about how, "Device XXX is completely fucked, here is the data I have gathered so far. What do you want me to do?"
Then over the next week, my original email has 40-80 replies to it while adding more people and departments. If I got bored, I would read through it and try to figure out WTF they were talking about.

So you're one of them? I plain out told the guy that he's not allowed to do that on a Friday afternoon (uncannily, it happened that way several times) and that he should let me enjoy my weekend before dropping a boulder on my mood.

In regards to power management: I work on things that reduce/affect power consumption at any given moment. The stuff you're talking about are long-term silicon effects that are a completely different animal.

Well I was running the lab at night, up until a few years ago, dealing with legacy semi microcontrollers and such. I recall saying something to one of the maintenance guys shortly after I started about how some of our testing equipment was old enough to buy it's own beer.
I worked nightshift, so I was the evil email you would see right away in the morning. I'm happy to realize now that I wasn't ruining people's weekend, well other than sending an email Thursday night that would be read Friday morning.
I moved on to engineering development dealing with projects to support all our different tools/systems/software while the rest of the team does the real software development.

The really fun issues in the lab were when you could see with your naked eye something was wrong with the wafer- contamination, misaligned layers, or plain incomplete wafers. I would still set them up and try to test them even though I knew they wouldn't pass continuity.
Other than the qual checks at the fab, we were the first line of defense running both parametric testing and then full tests, so I had no issues sending emails to try and give good information to minimize the issue as fast as possible.
Lots of the team was worried about sending emails about issues, that somehow it would comeback on them for doing something wrong. Night shift always gets so ostracized from the day shift and other departments who are supposed to support us.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By McGuy:

I don't know what this means.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By McGuy:
Originally Posted By norseman1:

https://gifdb.com/images/high/oh-snap-kenan-thompson-shock-p52iozfklqixttoz.webp

Intel is one of the most woke-shit companies out there ... they are the Boeing of the chip industry.

Faggety-fag who joined our zoom at work was just incredibly stupid and insisted on pronouns before kicking things off. "It" didn't like how I said (coldly), "Lets just get started. Shall we?"

I just saw the "it" change their LI caption to with the green-halo-of-shame

Sometimes, HR gets it right

I don't know what this means.

Hashtag for "OpenToWork" = looking for a job (often laid off or fired)

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#17]
It's surreal watching all of these huge corporations self-sabotage themselves on behalf of an utterly absurd and laughably ridiculous social fad that isn't helpful to the company mission in any way whatsoever. They have to know they're committing suicide yet they're aggressively pushing it anyway.

It seems odd that the left would be so fascinated with ruling over the smoking rubble, but they are. I don't know what the eventual fallout of all of this mass insanity is going to be, but I think it's fair to say it's going to be ugly beyond our wildest imagination. My guess is the saboteurs running these companies into the ground will be pulling their $20B golden parachute cords when the massive houses of cards come tumbling down. A lot of people are going to get sold down the river so a select few can retire like kings of old. What a strange time to behold.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
learn to code.
View Quote

It's actually pretty easy, just pick something current and be ready to continue expanding the portfolio until you retire.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:
Who remembers Cyrix? We need a resurgence….
View Quote

Remember? I might still have one in the basement somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FMJ3:

It's actually pretty easy, just pick something current and be ready to continue expanding the portfolio until you retire.
View Quote
cobol
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
It's surreal watching all of these huge corporations self-sabotage themselves on behalf of an utterly absurd and laughably ridiculous social fad that isn't helpful to the company mission in any way whatsoever. They have to know they're committing suicide yet they're aggressively pushing it anyway.

It seems odd that the left would be so fascinated with ruling over the smoking rubble, but they are. I don't know what the eventual fallout of all of this mass insanity is going to be, but I think it's fair to say it's going to be ugly beyond our wildest imagination. My guess is the saboteurs running these companies into the ground will be pulling their $20B golden parachute cords when the massive houses of cards come tumbling down. A lot of people are going to get sold down the river so a select few can retire like kings of old. What a strange time to behold.
View Quote

I’ll go out on a limb and claim that most companies don’t support DEI to score points with women, minorities, or activists.

They do it because they can pay less to women and minorities. It’s a “put a larger quarterly bonus” in my pocket decision, not a “gee we care about social good.” It’s capitalism turned cancerous where short term gains are all that’s considered.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:20:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#22]
Originally Posted By Mooseless:

But as other posters (and Intel’s rapid decline) have confirmed, they’re not just preaching it, they’re living it.

https://media.tenor.com/7qVw67QWvyUAAAAM/fuck-em.gif
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mooseless:
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

Every big company in this country has a page like that.

But as other posters (and Intel’s rapid decline) have confirmed, they’re not just preaching it, they’re living it.

https://media.tenor.com/7qVw67QWvyUAAAAM/fuck-em.gif

So is every other company in the industry.

DEI is a problem - it’s not the only reason (or even the main reason) why INTC is where it is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:28:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LordEC911] [#23]
Originally Posted By Silence:
cobol
View All Quotes

cobol

Yep.
Knowing and being competent in Java, Python, SQL, will get you an interview and potentially in the door.
Knowing Cobol, Perl, Ruby, will be game changing.

Everybody has a legacy, being able to work with it is priceless.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#24]
cobol
View All Quotes

cobol

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:29:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#25]

View All Quotes

We're going to get techno-feudalism, with a few rich bastards lording it up over a drastically reduced world population that is squabbling over the last few scraps of resources, plus dribs and drabs from their master's bountiful generousity (so long as they are good little slaves and do as they are told).

Originally Posted By macros73:

I’ll go out on a limb and claim that most companies don’t support DEI to score points with women, minorities, or activists.

They do it because they can pay less to women and minorities. It’s a “put a larger quarterly bonus” in my pocket decision, not a “gee we care about social good.” It’s capitalism turned cancerous where short term gains are all that’s considered.

Possibly.  But there is also the big ass sword of Damocles hanging over companies if they don't embrace the DIE insanity.  They might be cut off from investments, or banking, or just socially ostracized for not being DIE-enough.  When you have large banks and investment companies saying go DIE or we'll put you out of business... well the execs say its DIE time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By billclo:

We're going to get techno-feudalism, with a few rich bastards lording it up over a drastically reduced world population that is squabbling over the last few scraps of resources, plus dribs and drabs from their master's bountiful generousity (so long as they are good little slaves and do as they are told).

Possibly.  But there is also the big ass sword of Damocles hanging over companies if they don't embrace the DIE insanity.  They might be cut off from investments, or banking, or just socially ostracized for not being DIE-enough.  When you have large banks and investment companies saying go DIE or we'll put you out of business... well the execs say its DIE time.
View All Quotes

I dont actually believe the banks and investment companies care about it. All they care about is $$$. So how does it make them money? It doesnt.

So whats the driver behind it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

I'll go out on a limb and claim that most companies don't support DEI to score points with women, minorities, or activists.

They do it because they can pay less to women and minorities. It's a "put a larger quarterly bonus" in my pocket decision, not a "gee we care about social good." It's capitalism turned cancerous where short term gains are all that's considered.

The gov't wields even more power over these big companies, especially if they provides services for the federal gov't.  The gov't can really turn the screws on businesses, some industries more than others.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:

This and I'm sure it's accelerating. I was a knuckle dragger at RA until a few years ago and mod2 was trash compared to mod1. The brain trust that builds and maintains these facilities is aging out and not be replaced with equal competence.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
I have a friend who's an engineer there.  He said all the promotions last year were straight DEI.

This and I'm sure it's accelerating. I was a knuckle dragger at RA until a few years ago and mod2 was trash compared to mod1. The brain trust that builds and maintains these facilities is aging out and not be replaced with equal competence.
Its that way everywhere unfortunately.  In our industry I cannot believe I'm one of the few people left who knows what I'm doing and there is absolutely no interest in training the next generation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mark9000:

I dont actually believe the banks and investment companies care about it. All they care about is $$$. So how does it make them money? It doesnt.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mark9000:

I'll go out on a limb and claim that most companies don't support DEI to score points with women, minorities, or activists.

They do it because they can pay less to women and minorities. It's a "put a larger quarterly bonus" in my pocket decision, not a "gee we care about social good." It's capitalism turned cancerous where short term gains are all that's considered.

False beliefs in the technology and a philosophy that it will work because they're so awesome.

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I've always preferred AMD.

And ive been building comps since ~2000 (may have been 1999)
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:54:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#31]
Originally Posted By fike:

View All Quotes

Offshoring has been around forever and very very few companies have the managers and structure to make it work.

Managing remote teams is hard, which is why managers hate it.

Managing remote teams with culture, language, and timezone challenges? An order of magnitude harder, and that's before you add in the wrinkles of contractors with fake credentials and turnover - not to mention the significant learning curve for the new resources and the loss of institutional knowledge when the existing workforce is trimmed. Most companies can't handle it. I've seen it attempted numerous places over the past 20 years, and the most common result is a massive failure and a painful costly rebuild of the onshore team.

H1Bs are popular in tech because they are essentially indentured servants. Their presence in the country is tied to their jobs, to management can happily bury them in workloads that would send anyone with job mobility running for the exits.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#32]
It doesn't make me feel good but I saw this coming year ago.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#33]
those who shorted Intel and went long on Apple are feeling their oats today
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
those who shorted Intel and went long on Apple are feeling their oats today
View Quote
Intel brought this on themselves. That's why Apple bolted
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#35]

All over the place on-site.  It's a joke. I can't wait to see what's gonna happen when I go back shift Monday.  Morale has been in the toilet for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I know of an all-hands meeting last year where Pat said, "I spent too much too fast." It was a surprising mea culpa. He over-ran his ambition and it is costing the company dearly. This isn't about DEI. This is about gross mismanagement.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#37]
This is an extremely big deal for Intel, and how they respond to the situation will determine the future of the company.  I say that as a 13900K owner that's been on Intel for decades, after having some negative experiences with ATI back in the day.  I'm going to upgrade in the fall, and there is a 99.87% chance I will be going with a 9000x3d variant this time.

I hope Intel can turn this around and decides to take care of its users.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#38]
fuck. I think this sell off of INTC is worse than CRWD
I was still overall up 22% at the close yesterday, now down 9% overall.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:47:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#39]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
Well if it's a laptop

dell precision don't have replaceable cpu it's an entire motherboard replacement

towers are able to but still
View Quote

Laptop CPUs are not affected, only CPUs with a TDP of 65W or higher.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:02:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#40]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
I've still been rolling out 12th Gen Intel processors laptops/desktops for my customers.

Sad state of affairs. Intel is like Boeing now. Wtf is happening with our large American companies?

View Quote

Dei
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

Offshoring has been around forever and very very few companies have the managers and structure to make it work.

Managing remote teams with culture, language, and timezone challenges? An order of magnitude harder, and that's before you add in the wrinkles of contractors with fake credentials and turnover - not to mention the significant learning curve for the new resources and the loss of institutional knowledge when the existing workforce is trimmed. Most companies can't handle it. I've seen it attempted numerous places over the past 20 years, and the most common result is a massive failure and a painful costly rebuild of the onshore team.

H1Bs are popular in tech because they are essentially indentured servants. Their presence in the country is tied to their jobs, to management can happily bury them in workloads that would send anyone with job mobility running for the exits.
View All Quotes

You forgot a few things:

-Anti-Americanism. Once a H1B/former H1B gets into management he brings in his buddies/family/whomever. Your department becomes foreign very quickly as the push out the native born Americans. On top of this its kickback city and the grift. ALL these guys are kicking back $$ to their bosses under the table if they want that job.

-Native wage suppression.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#43]
They just built a new building in AZ and hired a bunch of people just to turned around and cut people to the tune of 15,000 so they could save $10B by the end of the year. Wonder how big the bonuses will be for the higher ups.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Great time to switch over to AMD products. Their laptop CPUs are better anyway.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#45]

35 years (but not at Intel). Started in product/test, then design verification, and RTL design since 2002.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By libb:

I spent many years there in pre-si, post-si, platform architecture, and SoC architecture. While the problems they face aren't strictly DEI, the general trend of rewarding the wrong behavior and making questionable hiring decisions has been occurring there for over 20 years

35 years (but not at Intel). Started in product/test, then design verification, and RTL design since 2002.

Pfft… what do you know, anyway?
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Just five months earlier

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
You'd probably feel pretty dumb if you were spending your time replacing the words "master" and "slave" (like in the context of I2C) in all your documents and design instead of actually doing useful things.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

To be fair, in most cases our offshore group was competent enough to get the job done (which were pretty basic roles). The issue I had was specific to an analyst position that was doomed to fail from the beginning.

These were Colombians, fwiw.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:40:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fourman] [#49]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By libb:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Over the past years with the likes of AMD, Intel, and newer player NVidia, there are always ups and downs in this industry.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top