Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:03:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mikepiet] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:
Who remembers Cyrix? We need a resurgence .
View Quote

I had one!

I think after that I went AMD Athlon then onto my Celeron 300A and overclocked that bad boy.

So should I undervolt my 13600kf? It's running fine with a Deepcool AH620 and I don't overclock.

Can't seem to find anything definitive.

p4 ownage
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
You'd probably feel pretty dumb if you were spending your time replacing the words "master" and "slave" (like in the context of I2C) in all your documents and design instead of actually doing useful things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

35 years (but not at Intel). Started in product/test, then design verification, and RTL design since 2002.
You'd probably feel pretty dumb if you were spending your time replacing the words "master" and "slave" (like in the context of I2C) in all your documents and design instead of actually doing useful things.

My boss actually threw a rant about that to a bunch of interns recently. It was embarrassing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I worked inside many years ago.  I am not sure what has happened since, but back then it was a very autocratic management philosophy.  Companies run this way tend to rise and fall with the cadre of leaders.  In the beginning there is ground breaking innovation.   Technical leaders are promoted and manage in an autocratic fashion and new blood never has the chance to learn to take risks and learn hard lessons.  New products that aren't top down from the original gang are less likely to happen and overall innovation is stifled.

A sharp contrast to this is Amazon.  They constantly branch into new areas and bring external services in house.  I think the same is true of Apple.  This creates a stream of new products and branches into entirely new market spaces.

This is all unfortunate as the US desperately needs a healthy semiconductor industry.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 12:00:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#6]
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Initiator and Target.

[ETA] Funny now that you mention it: I use very long names for wires and registers to keep things straight. I have hundreds of signals like "AbcMasterToXyzSlaveWrDataAck". Maybe, at some point in time, the guy who comes after me will be all offended and change the names to be more politically correct.Doesn't matter to me, because I'll be retired.  
View All Quotes

Initiator and Target.

[ETA] Funny now that you mention it: I use very long names for wires and registers to keep things straight. I have hundreds of signals like "AbcMasterToXyzSlaveWrDataAck". Maybe, at some point in time, the guy who comes after me will be all offended and change the names to be more politically correct.Doesn't matter to me, because I'll be retired.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2024 3:48:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rebel31] [#8]
Intel down 27% today
Intel shares slump 27% as turnaround struggle deepens

Aug 2 (Reuters) - Intel (INTC.O), opens new tab shares sank nearly 27% on Friday and were set for their worst day since 1974 after the chip manufacturer suspended its dividend and slashed its workforce to fund a costly turnaround after losing its once-dominant global position.

The company was set to lose more than $30 billion in market value after it gave a disappointing forecast and said it would cut 15% of its workforce, deepening worries about its ability to catch up with Taiwan's TSMC (2330.TW), opens new tab and other chipmakers.

"Intel's issues are now approaching the existential in our view," Bernstein analyst Stacy Rasgon said.
View Quote
https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-shares-set-fall-most-24-years-it-struggles-with-turnaround-2024-08-02/

And they are adding 2 years of warranty support for 13th and 14th Gen which is the right thing to do.
Intel announces two extra years of warranty amid chip crashing and instability issues   longer warranty applies to 13th- and 14th-Gen Core processors

Intel told us today that it will extend the warranty on its boxed Intel Core 13th- and 14th-Gen processors by two additional years. Intel's warranty extension comes as a result of the crashing and instability issues that have plagued its 13th- and 14th-Gen chips for months. Those issues impact all 65W and higher models, meaning the crashes have a widespread impact ranging from the flagship models down to even the pedestrian mid-range chips. Intel's processors typically come with a three-year warranty period, so the extension will bring the warranty for most boxed processors to five years.

Intel will issue a microcode update by mid-August to address the crashing issues, which cause PCs to crash/BSOD inexplicably during gaming and other workloads due to what Intel attributes to excessive voltage. The issue can cause permanent damage, and the pending microcode update will not 'fix' processors that already suffer from crashing. As such, users with chips that are already crashing will have to return their processors for replacement. However, Intel says the update should prevent chips that haven't experienced issues from degrading.
View Quote
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/cpus/intel-announces-an-extra-two-years-of-warranty-for-its-chips-amid-crashing-and-instability-issues-longer-warranty-applies-to-13th-and-14th-gen-core-processors
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Scumbag Intel: Shady Practices, Terrible Responses, & Failure to Act
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Laptop CPUs are not affected, only CPUs with a TDP of 65W or higher.
View Quote

65W or higher?  Where'd that come from?
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess that explains why I've had a few recent Dell Optiplex models just stop working right out of the box after only a couple days' worth of use.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:21:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#12]
Originally Posted By MkTwain:

View All Quotes

It's stated in the second article posted above by Rebel41.
Intel told us today that it will extend the warranty on its boxed Intel Core 13th- and 14th-Gen processors by two additional years. Intel's warranty extension comes as a result of the crashing and instability issues that have plagued its 13th- and 14th-Gen chips for months. Those issues impact all 65W and higher models, meaning the crashes have a widespread impact ranging from the flagship models down to even the pedestrian mid-range chips. Intel's processors typically come with a three-year warranty period, so the extension will bring the warranty for most boxed processors to five years

Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

From Intel.
Should be noted that partners are now starting to suspect some mobile parts are affected.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:34:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By LordEC911:

From Intel.
Should be noted that partners are now starting to suspect some mobile parts are affected.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LordEC911:

From Intel.

The problem with a lot of laptops is the CPU or package is directly affixed to the board along with the RAM. They are all going to blame each other like Intel tried to do with motherboards a couple of months ago.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 11:59:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Socio] [#15]
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
F in chat for the guy on Reddit who put $700,000 of his Grandma's inheritance in INTC stock before market close...
View Quote

Here is a tip for that guy and anyone else that invests in stock, you see a company that is doing well and looks like a sound investment always check who the major shareholders are, if you see BlackRock, The Vanguard Group, that company is going to go woke and tank, it is what those investment groups do.

Intel Corporation (INTC)

That guy just needs to sit on his stock, from what I was told once it is driven into the ground those same investment groups buy up a lot more stock then back off and let the company purge the wokeness and recuperate. Then once the company has triumphantly made comeback, they sell for a huge profit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 12:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#16]
Originally Posted By Socio:

Here is a tip for that guy and anyone else that invests in stock, you see a company that is doing well and looks like a sound investment always check who the major shareholders are, if you see BlackRock, The Vanguard Group, that company is going to go woke and tank, it is what those investment groups do.

Intel Corporation (INTC)

That guy just needs to sit on his stock, from what I was told once it is driven into the ground those same investment groups buy up a lot more stock then back off and let the company purge the wokeness and recuperate. Then once the company has triumphantly made comeback, they sell for a huge profit.
View Quote

Isn't Vanguard just a company that produces a bunch of mutual funds?

I own a bunch of shares in Vanguard products, so technically when it says Vanguard that's like 0.00001% me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#17]

I own a bunch of shares in Vanguard products, so technically when it says Vanguard that's like 0.00001% me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Socio:

Intel Corporation (INTC)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:25:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#19]
We’ll have a better idea of INTC’s path after they launch their new technology (next year?)…

If they shit the bed on this effort, theyre in a bad, bad, spot. If it rocks, they’ll have a chip in the game.

I’d love to see them succeed, but it’s anyone’s guess.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:
Man we need to have better management and less DEI.
View Quote

Ideas like yours are why we have systemic racism.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Intel still owns 75% of the market. They may not be doing as well, but they're still making a lot of money.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
We'll have a better idea of INTC's path after they launch their new technology (next year?)

If they shit the bed on this effort, theyre in a bad, bad, spot. If it rocks, they'll have a chip in the game.

I'd love to see them succeed, but it's anyone's guess.

Intel still owns 75% of the market. They may not be doing as well, but they're still making a lot of money.

It’s amazing they can be That big, and suck That bad.  

75% of the market, as measured by what. (?)
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Only 20-25%?

Laughs in 3rd gen Toyota Tundra.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:05:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#24]

View Quote

It sounds like they are making a lot of money but somehow they seem to burn most (sometimes all) of it

Intel may be a "too big to fail" company but I think the risk from an investment standpoint is you end up like the guy who bought it for $20 in 1998 and a quarter of a century later your shares are worth . . . . .  $20
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Knocking on wood my 2 year old i9 12990k lasts.  But man it's already a dinosaur now after 28 months.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:

It sounds like they are making a lot of money but somehow they seem to burn most (sometimes all) of it

Intel may be a "too big to fail" company but I think the risk from an investment standpoint is you end up like the guy who bought it for $20 in 1998 and a quarter of a century later your shares are worth . . . . .  $20
View All Quotes

That’s me.   2003-2004.   It was up, but not by a lot.   Now, it’s in the red.   I’ve been waiting 20 years for the turnaround.  
My worst investment.      Thank God I had a lot of others which did well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Intel has huge multi billion dollar expansions going on all over the world. Just  Intel in AZ alone is currently building 2 factories at once. They've never done that. Let alone all the other factories they are buying other places. That's probably where a lot of their money is going
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MolonLabeFBHO:

Intel has huge multi billion dollar expansions going on all over the world. Just  Intel in AZ alone is currently building 2 factories at once. They've never done that. Let alone all the other factories they are buying other places. That's probably where a lot of their money is going
View Quote

Are the factories/expansion being financed by the taxpayer via the Chips Act?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Some money from that, but obviously, not all.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

8.5 billion was paid for by the chip act. Intel had first thought that it would cost 22 billion for the 2 factories but with the cost of materials and everything costing more it is going to be over 30 billion. This is just in AZ, they are also doing the same thing at multiple locations around the world.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

View Quote

I've been on the fence about buying.

I mean if they had so much organic growth they were doing this on their own dime I think the company would be in a very different spot.

My other concern is what the marketplace will look like in 3-5 years. Lots of companies are going to be making similar investments in this space since there's just so much of a carrot involved and the mark-ups are so high right now.

On the other side of the spectrum it wouldn't surprise me if Intel leaned up, got a hot shot new CEO, and in a couple years we're seeing ATH's.

Saw this earlier today, wonder what's playing out behind the scenes

https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-board-member-quit-after-differences-over-chipmakers-revival-plan-2024-08-27/
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Yeah, but only Fab 52 will be used. For Fab 62 the plan is the same like they did with Fab 42. Puting a roof on it and that’s it until they need it, which won't be before 2026 or 27 if at all. Somewhere they will figure out that all that space in Fab 12 isn’t used also so why using 62.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By darg508:

Yeah, but only Fab 52 will be used. For Fab 62 the plan is the same like they did with Fab 42. Puting a roof on it and that’s it until they need it, which won't be before 2026 or 27 if at all. Somewhere they will figure out that all that space in Fab 12 isn’t used also so why using 62.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By darg508:

That could be. They are still a couple years from finishing 52 and 52.2 is only 18 months behind it
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#34]

I mean if they had so much organic growth they were doing this on their own dime I think the company would be in a very different spot.

My other concern is what the marketplace will look like in 3-5 years. Lots of companies are going to be making similar investments in this space since there's just so much of a carrot involved and the mark-ups are so high right now.

On the other side of the spectrum it wouldn't surprise me if Intel leaned up, got a hot shot new CEO, and in a couple years we're seeing ATH's.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-board-member-quit-after-differences-over-chipmakers-revival-plan-2024-08-27/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

My fear is they could declare bankruptcy and wipeout the shareholders.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
Originally Posted By FistPeso:
Man we need to have better management and less DEI.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:16:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
We'll have a better idea of INTC's path after they launch their new technology (next year?)

If they shit the bed on this effort, theyre in a bad, bad, spot. If it rocks, they'll have a chip in the game.

I'd love to see them succeed, but it's anyone's guess.

They’re spending a ton of money. They’re going to need a return on that investment.  That’s also just the PC market, not servers, AI infrastructure, IoT, mobile, etc.  

Maybe they need to hire Lisa Su, lol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 7:36:37 AM EDT
[#37]
What is the percentage of H1 employees who are involved in design and manufacturing these CPUs?
How woke is intel?
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:20:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#38]
Originally Posted By kychas:
What is the percentage of H1 employees who are involved in design and manufacturing these CPUs?
How woke is intel?
View Quote

You ever try to hire good engineers?  Every engineering company is going to at least put on a strong DEI face, because if you don’t, you’ll get cancelled.  Tech hubs also tend to be in Uber-liberal areas (Bay Area, Austin, for example), so most of the HR is drawn from true believers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#39]
This is all my fault. I switched to Intel in my last gaming rig. I'm currently on CPU #2
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 11:10:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andrewsky] [#40]
How woke is intel?
View Quote
Most electrical engineering offices are kind of like this:

-30% Indian
-30% Chinese
-10% Whites from misc. countries from around the world (e.g. a random guy from France or Serbia or something like that)
-20% Whites from the US
-10% Non-White from the US

White female engineers are extremely unusual.

I'm kind of making the numbers up, that's just a rough guess.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
This is all my fault. I switched to Intel in my last gaming rig. I'm currently on CPU #2
View Quote

AMD from here on out for the near future brother.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mooseless:
Attachment Attached File
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Most electrical engineering offices are kind of like this:

-30% Indian
-30% Chinese
-10% Whites from misc. countries from around the world (e.g. a random guy from France or Serbia or something like that)
-20% Whites from the US
-10% Non-White from the US

White female engineers are extremely unusual.

I'm kind of making the numbers up, that's just a rough guess.
View Quote

Concur with those numbers but imo slightly more women than your mileage mine varies

Lately seems Chinese heading to 25% Indian to 35% and 20% White to 10% White with Asian American mostly replacing that
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I used a 12900ks for my last build and it is problem free so far. I guess that will be my last dance with Intel for a while.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm one that has an affected CPU, well... likely affected. I've got my newest BIOS to handle the overvoltage issue... but I'm not sure anything can be done with the oxidation issue. I haven't seen any issues yet... but I paid a good premium for that CPU so I better get 10 years out of it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 2:04:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#46]
Intel's R&D hub is Oregon based in Hillsboro. They have 22,000 Oregon Employees. The tech industry is essentially what catapulted Oregon into being a deep blue state in the 1980's . The payrolls and tax revenues dwarf the timber industry.

Just Intel's latest announcement of wage cuts was noticed by the state:

In a rough calculation, state economist Josh Lehner estimated Intel’s pay cuts could reduce Oregon’s aggregate wages by $150 million to $200 million – about 0.15% of all wages statewide.
View Quote

They hire a broad mix of nationalities, and the pay is very good if you can get into being an Intel employee and not work on site for a contractor. I've heard the annual review process can be grueling, and that the entire campus is stressed during that period.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#47]
How woke is intel?
View Quote

They fly the gay flag for the whole gay month
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn...just started looking at replacing my i7-7700k build (OCed 5.0ghz) that's been humming along since early 2017.

Have always used Intel but may need to take a look at AMD.

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 5:24:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LordEC911] [#49]
Originally Posted By Antisocial1:
Damn...just started looking at replacing my i7-7700k build (OCed 5.0ghz) that's been humming along since early 2017.

View Quote

7600x3d should be launching soon and will be a pretty amazing price/performance option at ~$250.
7800x3d offers top of the line performance and has gone on sale recently for ~$320-$350.
A quality B650 mobo would cost ~$200 and 32GB of DDR5 6000 CL30/32 should be <$100, but ram prices have jumped a bit.
Toss in a $90 P41 1TB nvme ssd and you have a top of the line system for ~$650-$750 and ready for the new GPUs that should release in the next 6months.
It sounds like AMD will have some pretty nice GPUs in the $400-$600.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Antisocial1:

View Quote

You DEFINITELY need to look at AMD, that's outdated line of thought now.  They have been leapfrogging each other the past few gens on best gaming performance, but Intel has only been clawing by by pumping ridiculous amounts of power through the CPUs.

They get absolutely clobbered when it comes to efficiency.  If the electric bill doesn't bother you, it still matters running with a high end GPU without the room getting hot.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top