BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 6:37:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prezboi44] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
I've still been rolling out 12th Gen Intel processors laptops/desktops for my customers.

Sad state of affairs. Intel is like Boeing now. Wtf is happening with our large American companies?

View Quote

Marketing MBAs and management are making decisions in a vacuum and they are not consulting tech and engineering. Much of the experience and institutional knowledge has left the building.

Standards have been lowered for so long. It's just coming home to roost now.  Tech people are looked down upon in favor of lies on glitzy powerpoint presentations.  You can't believe it's universal, but it's getting there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah. Glad I’m on AMD. The Intel guys are sweating wondering when their CPU is going to die.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Up 7.5% today.

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 1:14:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#4]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:
Up 7.5% today.

View Quote

Intel workforce?
Intel prices?
Intel Stock price?
T_M_S's penis?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Gator:

You DEFINITELY need to look at AMD, that's outdated line of thought now.  They have been leapfrogging each other the past few gens on best gaming performance, but Intel has only been clawing by by pumping ridiculous amounts of power through the CPUs.

They get absolutely clobbered when it comes to efficiency.  If the electric bill doesn't bother you, it still matters running with a high end GPU without the room getting hot.
View Quote

I'm about to log off work early and play some games on my desktop with a 13900k and 4090.  It's going to be 100 degrees ambient temp today.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Tech is getting hit hard.  Intel cutting jobs, Dell cutting like 12,000, Cisco 7%.  Got to love Bidenomics.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:46:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lexington] [#12]
Originally Posted By moreammoplz:
Tech is getting hit hard.  Intel cutting jobs, Dell cutting like 12,000, Cisco 7%.  Got to love Bidenomics.
View Quote

"Demand destruction is the name of the inflation reduction game." ~ probably Jerome Powell
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
My last several builds have all been AMD. The price/performance ratio can't be beat. They have really leveled-up since they introduced the Ryzen processors. Now there is really no reason to consider Intel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:
AMD is so brat. It's her turn.
My last several builds have all been AMD. The price/performance ratio can't be beat. They have really leveled-up since they introduced the Ryzen processors. Now there is really no reason to consider Intel.

One of the big demos at defcon last month was a massive security flaw in AMD processors that allowed control over the system.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Link?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By whollyshite:

One of the big demos at defcon last month was a massive security flaw in AMD processors that allowed control over the system.

Link?

Yeah, in for link.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Link?
View Quote
I think This is  what he's taking about.
just like a lot of other low level potential vulnerabilities, it requires privileged access to the physical system already.

in other news, people who have keys can let themselves in.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:52:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MolonLabeFBHO:

They fly the gay flag for the whole gay month
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MolonLabeFBHO:
Originally Posted By kychas:
What is the percentage of H1 employees who are involved in design and manufacturing these CPUs?
How woke is intel?

They fly the gay flag for the whole gay month

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 2:00:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
just like a lot of other low level potential vulnerabilities, it requires privileged access to the physical system already.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

Link?

All kinds of these come out every year. If you already have physical access to the computer with admin rights you're already fucked.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#21]

This website tracks layoffs in the tech sector https://layoffs.fyi/
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I've despised Intel for nearly 35 years, but it still pains me to hear they're laying off 15,000 people. Having been through my fair share of layoffs, they suck and it must suck infinitely more when you get hit by one.
View Quote
The fun voluntary phase has closed and now the fun involuntary phase has begun.

I've deleted the majority of this post a couple of times. When I joined 2017, I'd hoped this would be the company I retired from. It felt a lot like the IBM of the 90s where good ideas tended to win.

Today, I'm not really sure what I am hoping for. Clearly it's better to have a job, but the reality of the aftermath is going to be more work with less hands and increased brain-drain as people with institutional knowledge depart. I'm a software guy doing software stuff so I don't have any insight into the hardware side of things beyond "Wow, what have you guys been doing?"
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#25]

So when the PRC attacks Taiwan, they'll get all of TSMC and we'll be fooked even harder.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I've despised Intel for nearly 35 years, but it still pains me to hear they're laying off 15,000 people. Having been through my fair share of layoffs, they suck and it must suck infinitely more when you get hit by one.
View Quote

I'm all for less government intervention, but this is one area where the government needs to step in. Companies are far too comfortable with layoffs these days. They need to feel the pain before upending so many lives.

Corporations want to have all the benefits and advantages of being an American company, without any responsibility to the American people.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

I'm all for less government intervention, but this is one area where the government needs to step in. Companies are far too comfortable with layoffs these days. They need to feel the pain before upending so many lives.

Corporations want to have all the benefits and advantages of being an American company, without any responsibility to the American people.
View All Quotes

well, there's a different school of thought, that, painful as it is, layoffs free up talent to start new companies and re-allocate human resources into more profitable businesses, leading to growth for new sectors and businesses.

Yet, losing your job when you're not ready to lose it seems potentially devastating on a personal level.

I will say, the severance terms are incredibly generous.  Even reasonably new employees who are laid off this time around are going to be ok for a while, plenty of time to find other work or start a new venture.  Painful, but necessary.

That said, it does seem to be the result of repeated mismanagement over and over and over again and the folks who take the brunt of the mismanagement are generally not the ones managing it.  How is management of the company so bad that you need an involuntary layoff every 5 or 6 years?
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:10:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#28]

View All Quotes

As someone in that industry, keep the government the fuck out of it.  Yeah at-will employment and the prospect of getting laid off at the drop of a hat sucks, but no problem has ever been improved by throwing government at it… ever.

And yes, I’ve survived dozens of layoffs and been hit by several over the years.

I was once the last person laid off in a big RIF. We were all standing around at the end of the day talking about how rough it was and how good it felt to survive another layoff, when one of the angels of death flagged me down - “hey, can I talk to you for a minute…”
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#30]
They should have learned how to code.  Nevermind.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top