BCM
User Panel

Why did rock 'n roll... (Page 3 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Happy_Hour_Hero:

There was a lot of good music in the 80s, but you're delusional if you don't admit mainstream 80s was gayer than cum on a mustache.

Remember when dimebag Darrell was Diamond Darrell? Glam rock is much worse than grunge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CzechMate5:
Because 90s grunge shit wrecked the most awesome decade of rock ever. Nothing will ever be as good as what was produced in the 80s.

There was a lot of good music in the 80s, but you're delusional if you don't admit mainstream 80s was gayer than cum on a mustache.

Remember when dimebag Darrell was Diamond Darrell? Glam rock is much worse than grunge.

The 80s marked a steep decline in rock.  Lots of trash forced on us by MTV where the visuals often trumped the music.

THE WHO - Long Live Rock (1973 UK TV Appearance) ~ HIGH QUALITY HQ ~
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Rock music was the first salvo at the cultural destruction of America and the undermining of decency and promotion of the degenerate.

Rap music started to be pushed next to accelerate the collapse of traditional American values with the promotion of excessive greed, selfishness, violence, etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
Have you payed attention to how rock bands are treated these days? Look at what happened to Greta Van Fleet. Excellent music drowned out by "real" classic rock fans claiming they're copycats.
View Quote

Because it was derivative copycat stuff that got them airplay.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

I knew there was a reason why Glenn Miller isn't popular anymore. Thanks for clearing that up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kraquine:
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Am I crazy to have a hunch that the "woke" agenda (or at least the beginnings of it) might have had a bit to do with it?  Rock music wasn't "diverse enough"?  I'm probably nuts, but it would make perfect sense.

I knew there was a reason why Glenn Miller isn't popular anymore. Thanks for clearing that up.

He’s dead Jim and Big Band, as good as it was,  was too expensive.

Try to stay on topic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:

View All Quotes
Have you payed attention to how rock bands are treated these days? Look at what happened to Greta Van Fleet. Excellent music drowned out by "real" classic rock fans claiming they're copycats.

All rock music is derivative.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

And there it is.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

View All Quotes

Some more than others.

You could also say all music is derivative.

I don’t care if someone loves GVF, I enjoy cover bands, it doesn’t get more copycat than that. I just don’t deny it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#8]
And there it is.
View All Quotes

And there it is.

Truth is truth.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Some more than others.

I don’t care if someone loves GVF, I enjoy cover bands, it doesn’t get more copycat than that. I just don’t deny it.
View All Quotes

Some more than others.

Robert Shrub doesn't make them a cover band.  They have their own thing musically and it happens to be the sort of thing that a lot of folks were grumping was missing from modern rock.  Turns out a lot of people don't really know what they want.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Robert Shrub doesn't make them a cover band.  They have their own thing musically and it happens to be the sort of thing that a lot of folks were grumping was missing from modern rock.  Turns out a lot of people don't really know what they want.
View All Quotes

Some more than others.

They intentionally made music to sound like LZ and released it. They chose that path. Don’t blame people that noticed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:32:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thawntex] [#11]
Originally Posted By martininTN:

This. Electronics has taken the place of real musicianship. Whatever "talent" is easier to promote. Point in case, Tay Tay.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By martininTN:
Originally Posted By davekd7ds:
Modern studio & recording electronics have made it easier to manufacture trash music without the benefit of talent. One used to have to be proficient at playing an instrument or carrying a vocal tune.  

This. Electronics has taken the place of real musicianship. Whatever "talent" is easier to promote. Point in case, Tay Tay.
Stop being lazy. Go look at the personnel list on any given Taylor Swift album. Sure, there are electronic elements, but there are also tons of instruments being played by the best of the best.

It's comical how some people think that all pop music is electronically generated nowadays. It isn't.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#12]

They intentionally made music to sound like LZ and released it. They chose that path. Don’t blame people that noticed.
View All Quotes

Some more than others.

Swap the singer.  Do they still sound like LZ?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it possible that Rock 'N Roll has just run it's course?

There was a TON of innovation in the genre up through the end of the 1990s but what has been done since then that is uniquely distinct to the modern era?

Alternative blew up so big in the 1990s because the mainstream had never heard anything like it before.  Same could be said about every prior decade and the type of rock that typified it.  The 80s was definitely a break from the 70s and so on and so forth all the way back to Elvis and Chuck Berry.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:58:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jackslack] [#14]
Here. Talk radio is in the same boat.

How Corruption and Greed Led to the Downfall of Rock Music
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:59:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glck1911] [#16]

Truth is truth.

View Quote

Who cares if they did intentionally sound like LZ?  Is it good Music or not?  This right here is the problem.

Use the old recipe = Poser/copycat

Use a new recipe = Eww. We want the old recipe

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#17]
The masses need something to chew on, people. Always have.

I personally despite Luke Bryan, for example, but the Luke Bryans of the world are the ones who create big industry.

You may hate big industry, but without it you don't have any of these smaller artists making it. Without it guys like me are delivering pizzas instead of working in cool little venues.

There simple is no economy for the small, independent, creative musicians of this world without large scale pop. And some of these smaller independents go on to greater things. But they don't do it without the infrastructure created by big media.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
Here. Talk radio is in the same boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reesdiAbvk4
View Quote
God that guy is a wet blanket.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#19]

They intentionally made music to sound like LZ and released it. They chose that path. Don't blame people that noticed.
View Quote
The word for what you're describing is "influenced". Calling bands that are heavily influenced by other bands "copycats" is boomer logic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
iHeartMedia/Clear Channel happened, they've killed most of the good radio programing in the US
View Quote

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll give an example of what I talked about in my last post.

People love to hate on Live Nation, but give me a Live Nation show any day of the week vs. some of the shit I get from these local promoters and venues.

Live Nation knows how to buy, promote, and produce a show. And they give out checks that night.

They have their flaws, but they create a stable environment, without which the lunatics would be running the asylum.

The music industry needs the lunatics, of course, but someone has to be there to build and maintain their recreational areas.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Seem to fall off the face of the earth towards the end if the nineties?  Of course, it's still there, and there are still new great bands making music, but you won't hear it on mainstream radio anymore.  It's all "pop cuntry" and hip-hop sounding garbage.  WTF happened?  They said it would never die, but, for all intents and purposes, it did.
View Quote

@Bronsonburner

You should stream 95.1 WIlL out of Wisconsin or TK 101 out of Pensacola.  You won’t be disappointed 🤘✌️✌️
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah but most modern "country" seems have a healthy dose of hip-hop influence added.  It's like hip-hop (cRap) took over everything.
View Quote

Hic-Hop.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Country is where rock went to die.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By thawntex:
It's funny hearing the comments about rap music being easy to produce. It's true in a sense; I've done a few shitty rap show recently, but I recently did a show with Juvenile, and he had a full live band that was awesome. The whole show was off the chain.
Apparently he just did one of those NPR Tiny Desk things, and it went so well that he decided to take it on the road.
It was probably the best live rap show I've ever done. His band was badass. Super cool guys, very chill, courteous, and professional.
View Quote

I popped up the tiny concert thing, I listened to it until the started throwing out nxxxxx this and nxxxxx that.
Click.
Full band? Guitar, bass, keyboards, drum, sax and a trumpet is not a "full band".
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Corvette-Racer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Knw_GxXPHg
View Quote

It's about Jim Ladd, the last free-form DJ left on earth.
RIP Jim, you Roger Waters loving libtard!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TOGVET:
Check out Rick Beato on YouTube.

He has many videos discussing this very issue. Thank Clearchannel and their ilk.

Corporate has ruined main stream music.

92.5 KZPS? Ugh.
View Quote

That guy is very informative. If you like him, check out a gal named Mary Spender for some more musical education vids.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#28]
The word for what you're describing is "influenced". Calling bands that are heavily influenced by other bands "copycats" is boomer logic.
View All Quotes

They intentionally made music to sound like LZ and released it. They chose that path. Don't blame people that noticed.

lol

You can kid yourself all you want.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I remember discovering the White Stripes in the early 2000s. Being someone who didn't like the 90s grunge sound, I really liked how they sounded like actual rock music.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Interesting.  I guess that means there may be hope that it WILL "come back around" someday when people "forget".  What's old is new kinda thing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
I heard someone explain this on a podcast recently.

By the 90s all possible variations were played out. Nothing more to be done.

Interesting.  I guess that means there may be hope that it WILL "come back around" someday when people "forget".  What's old is new kinda thing.

Back in the early 90's a woman I was seeing told me her daughter came in telling her about a new band that was really good called Aerosmith.

She said, baby, they're not new, and pulled one of their albums from the 70's out of the bookcase. Daughter was shocked and upset she was listening to her "mothers music"

We got a good laugh out of it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:46:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#31]
Originally Posted By bcw107:
Singles are the root cause. No need for talent if you don't have to make a full album.
View Quote

Rock & Roll started with singles that eventually became albums.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#32]

lol

View All Quotes

lol

They definitely leaned into it hard.  Not just the music, but the look, the hair, the Les Paul's.  That being said I've got no problem with it, the more rock out there the better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#34]
What is rock?

Is Dick Dale?
Polyphia?
Some of Olivia Rodrigo?
Hardy?
Chris Stapleton?
Maneskin?
Linkin park?
Brothers Osborne?
Del Shannon?

They all sound so different but seem like rock to me. Don’t know why
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CzechMate5:
Because 90s grunge shit wrecked the most awesome decade of rock ever. Nothing will ever be as good as what was produced in the 80s.

Glam for all its faults had a few things going for it.  There were some excellent guitarists in that genre.  It was party music, lets get laid music. Like all music trends it was strip mined for all its worth and then some leading to horrifically derivative bands.

Grunge, which I used to enjoy more when I was more angsty and in my early 20's. was "life sucks and need a pity party since mommy didn't love me enough." music. There were some great songs out of that era and some great bands but I have to be in a certain mood for it these days.  I used to travel out of state to see Pearl Jam but I just don't connect with it anymore.  Still love Smashing Pumpkins and Stone Temple Pilots though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 0311SKI:

They definitely leaned into it hard.  Not just the music, but the look, the hair, the Les Paul's.  That being said I've got no problem with it, the more rock out there the better.
View All Quotes

lol

Yeah, I don’t really care, even Robert Plant likes them but to blame others for noticing is silly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:
Who cares if they did intentionally sound like LZ?  Is it good Music or not?  This right here is the problem.
Use the old recipe = Poser/copycat
Use a new recipe = Eww. We want the old recipe
View Quote

The "music" is good.
If Greta was a unique vocalist then it would have been OK.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Seem to fall off the face of the earth towards the end if the nineties?  Of course, it's still there, and there are still new great bands making music, but you won't hear it on mainstream radio anymore.  It's all "pop cuntry" and hip-hop sounding garbage.  WTF happened?  They said it would never die, but, for all intents and purposes, it did.
View Quote

It’s honestly a very interesting question.   I think good Rock songs would still be incredibly popular, but nobody seems to be able to pull it off in the mainstream.    The heart of R&R stopped beating about 5-7 years after this..

Huey Lewis & The News - The Heart Of Rock & Roll

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#39]
It's a half truth. There is still a lot of country music that is being made organically, and in places other than Nashville.

There's some good music coming out of Oklahoma right now. Guys like Josh Meloy are making names for themselves.

I do live sound in a 1,000 cap venue, and I'm occasionally surprised by some of these bands that seem to come out of nowhere. I'll go into work having no idea what I'm facing, and then be blown away by some band I hadn't heard of until that day.

It's gets repeated a bazillion times on this forum, but never seems to sink in with some people. If you're tapping mainstream sources you're going to get processed, formulaic crap from Nashville. If you want something different and raw, something made by creative people who are passionate about their craft, you have to tune that shit out, get your boots on, and go out to a small venue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
My guess is cost.  Wife listens to country which sounds too much like hip hop for my taste.  From what I understand much of the recording for virtually everything is in Nashville now and to cut costs it sounds like they're just using background music that's computer generated, set to some auto tuned vocals and put on the radio.  It sounds flat and it honestly just sounds thrown out there compared to music someone sat down and developed on their own.

Wow thats depressing. It sounds true, but depressing.
It's a half truth. There is still a lot of country music that is being made organically, and in places other than Nashville.

There's some good music coming out of Oklahoma right now. Guys like Josh Meloy are making names for themselves.

I do live sound in a 1,000 cap venue, and I'm occasionally surprised by some of these bands that seem to come out of nowhere. I'll go into work having no idea what I'm facing, and then be blown away by some band I hadn't heard of until that day.

It's gets repeated a bazillion times on this forum, but never seems to sink in with some people. If you're tapping mainstream sources you're going to get processed, formulaic crap from Nashville. If you want something different and raw, something made by creative people who are passionate about their craft, you have to tune that shit out, get your boots on, and go out to a small venue.

Music hipsters constantly say that, and yeah, it’s great that we have unlimited choice.     But OP is asking why there aren’t any big Rock bands or stars in popular culture.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Yutes I know listen to a lot of rap.  However they also will jump to grunge, metal, or modern rock in the same playlist.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Music hipsters constantly say that, and yeah, it’s great that we have unlimited choice.     But OP is asking why there aren’t any big Rock bands or stars in popular culture.
View Quote

He answered the OP's question.  Over-saturation of produced-by-committee pablum drowning out the handful of bands putting out content that is both quality and distinct.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#42]
MSM gave you your opinions and news AND MUSIC.

i think they've cut costs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#43]

He answered the OP's question.  Over-saturation of produced-by-committee pablum drowning out the handful of bands putting out content that is both quality and distinct.
View Quote

It was funny seeing the response to Gojira at the Olympics.  They've been around for over 20 years, but 3 minutes on TV got them more exposure than a lifetime of grinding.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By KA3B:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KA3B:
Originally Posted By Corvette-Racer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Knw_GxXPHg

Jim was great

The days of small independent stations with a local DJ spinning obscure or non-main stream music are pretty much gone. Now we get computer generated play lists, canned DJs with a few mega companies monopolizing the air waves so you get the same cookie cutter format everywhere.

Of course you also have this:

iHeartMedia and all of its more than 860 broadcast radio stations are dedicated to inspiring and creating positive change that improves the lives of others. The company's community programs are built on the idea that through public awareness and education we can drive attention and action that directly addresses today's most pressing issues.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 2Frosty:
What is rock?

Is Dick Dale?
Polyphia?
Some of Olivia Rodrigo?
Hardy?
Chris Stapleton?
Maneskin?
Linkin park?
Brothers Osborne?
Del Shannon?

They all sound so different but seem like rock to me. Don’t know why
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#46]
The "new rock" all sounds the same.  It's emo-scream crap.  Rock died, IMO, in the 2000's.  As kids we grew up on rock, the later generations grew up and are growing up on N'sync and Back Street Boys and Justin Bieber and Brittany Spears and Taylor Swift.  They don't want grit, they want feel-good.  Rock ain't that, so it died.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Some of the all time best rock is new from young people in Australia and the UK
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#48]
The cultural cohesion that the Boomer generation enjoyed is dead and isn’t coming back. Everything is atomized.

As stated by that recent Rick Beato video. For all of Taylor Swift’s current success, she’s the most successful cult artist in her generation. There are millions of people who’ve never heard her music. She’ll never reach the level of popularity and cultural awareness that Cyndi Lauper did in the 80’s much less Madonna or Michael Jackson.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#49]
My pet peeve is when some asshat rolls up next to me at a light playing some type of shitty hip-hop or rap where all you hear is base and some autotuned dude slow talking about nothing.
Gone are the days of talented artists who could write intelligent and meaningful lyrics, sing with incredible range and control, and play an instrument through utter genius and flair.
Sure, there's always been inane faddy stuff (like the Macarena) but at least it was somewhat exotic or diverse in style and sound.
Remember Despacito? People still yearn for this stuff.
Whenever I get depressed about the state of music today, I listen to songs like "How Deep is Your Love".
Yes, it's Bee Gees, but they were incredible song writers, and Barry wrote that song in less than a day upon request from the Saturday Night Fever Producer.
The lyrics are heartfelt and really convey how beautiful love can be when two people fight off the forces of the world that try to tear them apart.
IDK... I think the world is going sideways partly because art has lost all meaning, and Western society has lost all grounding in a common uplifting culture that holds people to higher standards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#50]

Yeah, I don't really care, even Robert Plant likes them but to blame others for noticing is silly.
View All Quotes

lol

Yeah, I don't really care, even Robert Plant likes them but to blame others for noticing is silly.

No body is blaming anyone for noticing they're similar to Led Zeppelin.

Putting negative labels on em like "copycat" is the issue.

Stop gatekeeping artists.
Page / 6
Why did rock 'n roll... (Page 3 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top