BCM
User Panel

Why did rock 'n roll... (Page 4 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kcobean:
The "new rock" all sounds the same.  It's emo-scream crap.  Rock died, IMO, in the 2000's.  As kids we grew up on rock, the later generations grew up and are growing up on N'sync and Back Street Boys and Justin Bieber and Brittany Spears and Taylor Swift.  They don't want grit, they want feel-good.  Rock ain't that, so it died.
View Quote

Same thing my Dad told me in the late 80's early 90's.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Kokodude:
My pet peeve is when some asshat rolls up next to me at a light playing some type of shitty hip-hop or rap where all you hear is base and some autotuned dude slow talking about nothing.
Gone are the days of talented artists who could write intelligent and meaningful lyrics, sing with incredible range and control, and play an instrument through utter genius and flair.
Sure, there's always been inane faddy stuff (like the Macarena) but at least it was somewhat exotic or diverse in style and sound.
Remember Despacito? People still yearn for this stuff.
Whenever I get depressed about the state of music today, I listen to songs like "How Deep is Your Love".
Yes, it's Bee Gees, but they were incredible song writers, and Barry wrote that song in less than a day upon request from the Saturday Night Fever Producer.
The lyrics are heartfelt and really convey how beautiful love can be when two people fight off the forces of the world that try to tear them apart.
IDK... I think the world is going sideways partly because art has lost all meaning, and Western society has lost all grounding in a common uplifting culture that holds people to higher standards.
View Quote

I don't think we should get into a debate about songs having meaningful lyrics.  I've listened to a ton of 60's/70's/80's and yeah...
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Network_Daddy:
Same thing my Dad told me in the late 80's early 90's.
View Quote

The Simpsons - I Used To Be With It (Abe Simpson Rant)

I suppose I can take some comfort in the fact that at no point in my life have I ever been "with it."
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I think with a lot of music now the barrier to entry is too low to weed out the trash. It used to be that it took a large financial commitment to record and release an album. Now every asshole with a MacBook can mumble out some trash and put it on Soundcloud.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I've found a lot of great metal made that way.  Sure you get trash but you no longer have to whore yourself out and compromise what you want to do in order for the label to stick it in your ass.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

Albums are roughly the amount of music a band needs to put together to play a show.

REAL rock and roll (and jazz) is music in the moment and OF the moment.  It's live.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:
Originally Posted By bcw107:
Singles are the root cause. No need for talent if you don't have to make a full album.

Rock & Roll started singles that eventually became albums.

Albums are roughly the amount of music a band needs to put together to play a show.

REAL rock and roll (and jazz) is music in the moment and OF the moment.  It's live.

That is not the point I was making. Rock (actually all popular music since the 40s) started with bands that would make a single and send it to a local radio station. My response was counter to the claim that the fall of rock was due to musicians only making singles.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Guns and Roses killed hair metal and burned it to ashes

Grunge ground the ashes to dust, took a big post heroin shit on them, and burned it again

MTV treated anything that wasn’t hiphop or grunge like it was radioactive AIDS.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Because the people who listened to it got old.  Only 4 rock bands could fill a stadium.  The Who and the Stones are two of them.  One quarter of the fans bring oxygen tanks with them to the stadium.

For a while pop, technology and dance music top the charts.  Music is much more personal and eclectic than ever.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:

No body is blaming anyone for noticing they're similar to Led Zeppelin.

Putting negative labels on em like "copycat" is the issue.

Stop gatekeeping artists.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:
Originally Posted By 0311SKI:

They intentionally made music to sound like LZ and released it. They chose that path. Don't blame people that noticed.
The word for what you're describing is "influenced". Calling bands that are heavily influenced by other bands "copycats" is boomer logic.

lol

You can kid yourself all you want.

They definitely leaned into it hard.  Not just the music, but the look, the hair, the Les Paul's.  That being said I've got no problem with it, the more rock out there the better.

Yeah, I don't really care, even Robert Plant likes them but to blame others for noticing is silly.

We aren’t supposed to speak the truth?  

Stop suppressing other’s opinions. Especially when they are rooted in reality.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Guns and Roses killed hair metal and burned it to ashes

Grunge ground the ashes to dust, took a big post heroin shit on them, and burned it again

MTV treated anything that wasn’t hiphop or grunge like it was radioactive AIDS.

View Quote

MTV screwed rock in both the 80’s and 90’s.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Little white kids admire black culture because they think its cool. Blacks mainly listen to rap.  

Although lately Ive noticed more younger black guys wearing rock band t-shirts and if you talk to them they arent just sporting it to be different, they actually listen to the music and will readily talk about it.  I mean look at some of these young white rappers and its no wonder they are distancing themselves from it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:09:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#13]

I'm agreeing.  Real rock bands play live.  Therefore, they write/play more than just one song at a time.
View Quote

Yes, but those early bands spent their time in the trenches as dance bands playing other’s songs, while trying to earn the $200-300 to record a single song. Which is probably why they were so good. They played big band hits with guitars, and really learned the jazz elements that are very crucial to rock.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

They intentionally made music to sound like LZ and released it. They chose that path. Don't blame people that noticed.
The word for what you're describing is "influenced". Calling bands that are heavily influenced by other bands "copycats" is boomer logic.

lol

They definitely leaned into it hard.  Not just the music, but the look, the hair, the Les Paul's.  That being said I've got no problem with it, the more rock out there the better.

Yeah, I don't really care, even Robert Plant likes them but to blame others for noticing is silly.

Um, no.  Josh Kiscza sounds like a Robert Plant/Geddy Lee cross when he chooses to.  Now do the rest of the band.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Given its longevity, it's amazing that rock music lasted as long as it did, compared to the music trends of the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s.

But nothing lasts forever.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have Apple Music and Sirius XM and have no problems at all finding good stuff. Granted I’m not pigeon holing myself.  There’s a lot of great sub genres of rock.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I think just about any rock band that makes it main stream / top 40 becomes the butt of mikes like nickleback.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ClayHollisterTT] [#18]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

Um, no.  Josh Kiscza sounds like a Robert Plant/Geddy Lee cross when he chooses to.  Now do the rest of the band.
View All Quotes

lol

Nobody gives a shit who else he can copy. Their first main exposure was a clearly and intentionally mimicking of LZ.

What is even funnier is that when they were called out on it they denied it and claimed it was Aerosmith.  

I find it hysterical that you guys are butthurt by this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Nobody gives a shit who else he can copy. Their first main exposure was a clearly and intentionally mimicking LZ.

What is even funnier is that when they were called out on it they denied it and claimed it was Aerosmith.  

View All Quotes

lol

Nobody gives a shit who else he can copy. Their first main exposure was a clearly and intentionally mimicking LZ.

I find it hysterical that you focused on the least relevant portion of my post.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

lol

None of your post is relevant to the point.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#21]
It all depends on what the music industry feels is profitable.

It use to be ( and I say that not knowing what is standard practice now) is labels told band bands when they would go in to the studio next and the labels decided how much support a band would get on the next album. It was always about the labels controlling the outcome.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

lol

It is if you actually listen to music and can appreciate what sets LZ apart from other bands.  Hint:  It's not really Robert Plant.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:04:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#24]

It is if you actually listen to music and can appreciate what sets LZ apart from other bands.  Hint:  It's not really Robert Plant.
View All Quotes

lol

Thank you for telling me how to enjoy music.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

GVF goes way beyond “influenced”…
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SchizoPathica] [#26]
Originally Posted By Alembic:
Guitar hard, synth noise and beatz easy.
View Quote

Screen name checks out
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By thawntex:
Yes they do. Kids also sing and play guitar, drums, bass, and keyboards.

Places like School of Rock wouldn't exist if they didn't. A couple of weeks ago I sat behind the mixing board for an entire day of kids playing rock music. Some of them were really good, too.
View Quote

But are those kids creating new stuff or playing covers?
I have been in a Guitar Center a couple times last week and there were parents buying their kids guitars. One kid playing an e-drum set. There were 10 or so boomers finger fucking the cheap guitars. I don't see rock expanding anymore. It's a very small market unless you are a legacy band. Kansas, Foreigner etc. Hell, Kansas only has one original member left. They are literally dying off. The radio gods aren't interested in originality anymore. Pulp crap written on a computer is what they want.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:25:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#28]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Clown show bands like poison made a mockery of it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmnoid77] [#30]

View All Quotes

lol

You can enjoy what you like.  What I told you was how to appreciate music, which is informative for discussions of whether one band is a copycat of another.

ETA:  I don't particularly enjoy GVF.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Seem to fall off the face of the earth towards the end if the nineties?  Of course, it's still there, and there are still new great bands making music, but you won't hear it on mainstream radio anymore.  It's all "pop cuntry" and hip-hop sounding garbage.  WTF happened?  They said it would never die, but, for all intents and purposes, it did.
View Quote

No it didn't....there's more of it than ever, and a surprising amount of it is great quality too. You just won't find it on the radio...but who cares? If you have an internet connection you can find more good rock and metal than at any other time in history.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:52:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#32]
Originally Posted By smarquez:

I have been in a Guitar Center a couple times last week and there were parents buying their kids guitars. One kid playing an e-drum set. There were 10 or so boomers finger fucking the cheap guitars. I don't see rock expanding anymore. It's a very small market unless you are a legacy band. Kansas, Foreigner etc. Hell, Kansas only has one original member left. They are literally dying off. The radio gods aren't interested in originality anymore. Pulp crap written on a computer is what they want.
View All Quotes

Places like School of Rock wouldn't exist if they didn't. A couple of weeks ago I sat behind the mixing board for an entire day of kids playing rock music. Some of them were really good, too.

There are a huge number of rock and metal bands creating new stuff. In fact, there's a huge resurgence of traditional metal right now.

Rock and metal didn't die, the way people consume it simply changed and some people haven't figured that out yet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I believe it has more to do with our perception of it. I can’t imagine people used to watching 15 second TicTok videos sitting down and listening to an LP start to finish like us old timers did.

I can remember trying to find the LZ track, “Hey Hey What Can I Do” late 70’s; it was a B side on a single and it didn’t exist except for occasional radio play. Hard to explain the pre-CD, streaming instant music days to those who didn’t experience them.

It was different, not better, not worse- different. Same as what’s happening today, different. Good stuff is out there, gotta go find it like the old days.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:
I believe it has more to do with our perception of it. I can’t imagine people used to watching 15 second TicTok videos sitting down and listening to an LP start to finish like us old timers did.

I can remember trying to find the LZ track, “Hey Hey What Can I Do” late 70’s; it was a B side on a single and it didn’t exist except for occasional radio play. Hard to explain the pre-CD, streaming instant music days to those who didn’t experience them.

It was different, not better, not worse- different. Same as what’s happening today, different. Good stuff is out there, gotta go find it like the old days.
View Quote

Fuck. Now I have that Zepplin song going through my head.

“I got a woman stay drunk all the time…”
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:

View Quote

There was definitely something special about throwing on an album and just dedicating the time to listen front to back (CDs in my case)  I also got burned more than a few times from a good single and a truly shit record.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#36]

When was the last time you went to see a band that you've never heard of, live in a small venue, or in a garage?
View Quote

It’s been months.  I hate that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:42:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#38]

That's where it's at.

...and wherever my kids find their stuff.

"Dad, this band only has 700 people following them online!"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

When was the last time you went to see a band that you've never heard of, live in a small venue, or in a garage?

It’s been months.  I hate that.

That's where it's at.

...and wherever my kids find their stuff.

"Dad, this band only has 700 people following them online!"

I once saw a Mexican punk band sing “Girl’s Got Rhyhm”, by AC/DC, under a carport.  I’m pretty sure they didn’t have 10 words of English among them.

Back in the day, sometimes crappy bands provided the best entertainment.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
There are a huge number of rock and metal bands creating new stuff. In fact, there's a huge resurgence of traditional metal right now.

Rock and metal didn't die, the way people consume it simply changed and some people haven't figured that out yet.
View All Quotes

This is very true.  You can't compare music consumption habits of my generation with the current one. And the media landscape is different.  But if you want to find the most niche genre bands you can go on Bandcamp or other services and rock to your hearts content.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By zach_:

92.5 KZPS might be available on internet radio. They are not perfect, but they are the best radio station around here. Music Choice on Spectrum has several good rock channels.
View Quote
BRING BACK KLOL
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Plenty of good R&R still being made (in Australia)

Amyl and the Sniffers
The Chats
Dennis Cometti
Aborted Tortoise
The Stiff Richards

The Aussies have a great garage rock/punk scene.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

They're playing covers because that's what they're taught at SoR, and it's like a recital.

That's how virtually everyone starts out, though. When I first started playing guitar at age 15, I was playing Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Patience.

Sure, I was experimenting here and there with my own riffs and songwriting ideas, and me and my high school friends did little improvisational jams, but it wasn't until age 18-25 that I really got creative and played in an actual original band.

Some of the kids at the recital I did will certainly form their own projects in their young adult years. We'll probably never hear about them, but they'll do it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#44]

This is very true.  You can't compare music consumption habits of my generation with the current one. And the media landscape is different.  But if you want to find the most niche genre bands you can go on Bandcamp or other services and rock to your hearts content.
View All Quotes

I love Bandcamp. Not only can you find pretty much anything you want, but bands can self release stuff there too. Exposure like that from no-name bands wasn't possible in the "good ole days"
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#45]
The premise of the OP is false.

Rock and Roll did not "fall off the face of the earth towards the end if the nineties."

Rock and Roll did not change.  Rather, your metric for what IS or is NOT on the "face of the earth" needs to change.

MTV?  The radio?  "Guitar Center"?  lol

View Quote
Rock was meant for kids, and kids don't listen to the radio anymore.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Because rap was easy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By FlashHole:
I blame Kurt Cobain.   Grunge absolutely killed Rock N Roll
View Quote

I came here to post something similar.
Grunge killed Rock 'n Roll, because it sucked and that's the truth.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhotonKV] [#48]
Some old friends of mine are still making Rock 'n Roll.
The Tearaways with Clem Burke on drums,,
The Tearaways "Are You Effing Kidding Me"

The Tearaways - Charlie Keith and Ringo

California Sun (The Rivieras) - The Tearaways

The Tearaways - Easier Done Than Said
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#49]
This thread needs an enema.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:

Who cares if they did intentionally sound like LZ?  Is it good Music or not?  This right here is the problem.

Use the old recipe = Poser/copycat

Use a new recipe = Eww. We want the old recipe

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glck1911:

Truth is truth.

Who cares if they did intentionally sound like LZ?  Is it good Music or not?  This right here is the problem.

Use the old recipe = Poser/copycat

Use a new recipe = Eww. We want the old recipe

Post your favorite GVF lyrics or lyrics that you think are deep.
Page / 6
Why did rock 'n roll... (Page 4 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top