Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
What I'm saying is that if goldman sachs rolled in and bought up all of the food in your area and resold it at a much higher price, you probably wouldn't like that.
View Quote

I think you're overestimating the average arfcommer.  If they followed it with a marketing campaign with American flags and Lee Greenwood songs, some of us would try to give them whatever money they had left while bragging about their starving children.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

lol no.  Read Adam Smith.
View Quote

lol yes. Why do you think 100+ years ago we got the Sherman act and the Clayton act? There were a lot less rules back then and it became clear it was problematic. The new thing to enslave the consumer is subscription based services and micro transactions.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]

I turned my first residence into a rental in the late 80s.  Borrowed against it for my second, etc.  It was rough for years, until it wasn't.

No nerves hit. I did it, so you can too.  Or not.  It's your choice.
View Quote

Housing prices are quite a bit different now than they were in the 80s.  Did you have a paper route to work your way through college too?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If you got rid of 50-60 million illegals in the country you would eliminate the housing shortage .
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I hated being a landlord.  I made a lot of money at it, but it sucked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Jkees:

Rule #2: Profit off of your fellow Americans making misguided mistakes?
View Quote

To an extent, yes.  But they don't see their lifestyle choices as "mistakes", and neither do I.  If I make a profit from them, how is that a bad thing?

I don't grow my own food, I buy it at retail.  I don't make my own shoes.  I don't make my own cars.  That's not a mistake, it's a choice.

See: Adam Smith
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:32:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 999monkeys] [#7]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
The older I get, the only difference between communism and capitalism, is under communism, you can't opt out.   You don't show up to work, off to the gulag, hence the massive drug use and tent cities in western cities where it's becoming more and more palatable to die, laying in a pile of your own shit with a needle in your arm, than slugging it out for 80 hours a week to afford a roach infested studio apartment and be "civilized"...just my take.
View Quote

What you are seeing is the distortion of relativity, or “keeping up with the Jones”.  People benchmark themselves against people they know, or people they read about in the news.

Even poor Americans are rich by historical standards and cross geography.  It’s obvious when you begin to notice that our poor people are fat.  They aren’t starving like poor people in Africa or India.  They mostly have cars, TVs, phones, computers, plenty of food to eat.  They live better than kings of old.

But, because they compare themselves to their neighbors, or someone on Facebook, perception is very skewed.

Capitalism has been so effective, that people who are rich by historical standards actually feel like they are poor.  That is how successful it has been.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]

My offspring just bought a first starter home.  It was north of $1M.  Offspring & spouse saved for 4-5 years to get a big down pmt.

That's how it's done.
View Quote

Wtf? Offspring? Who talks like that? People who don’t have “offspring” or get laid for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TheBootDude:

lol yes. Why do you think 100+ years ago we got the Sherman act and the Clayton act? There were a lot less rules back then and it became clear it was problematic. The new thing to enslave the consumer is subscription based services and micro transactions.
View Quote

My subscription service fees total less than $150/mo. and they are all OPTIONAL.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: THOT_Vaccine] [#10]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

Townhouses are still being built if the local government allows it. There are minimum Sq foot and set back requirements along with minimum garage size and system development fees that frequently make them not possible to build at a profit or at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
One guy's definition of a "starter home" is different than the next. Old-ass Sears shacks and WWII tract housing sell for millions in some spots. What's morally reprehensible is the lack of developer interest in building lower cost houses. This is historically the way "The housing problem" has been solved in the United States.

It the past, some dude would just buy up 100 acres. Slice it into 1000 Sq ft lots. Throw a million crackerboxes on it and sell them at a 50% markup.

I'm not sure why Banks? Developers? Fuck if I know?

Where the fuck are the one bedroom crackerbox houses?

Townhouses are still being built if the local government allows it. There are minimum Sq foot and set back requirements along with minimum garage size and system development fees that frequently make them not possible to build at a profit or at all.

With texas as an example: You can just do it in an unincorporated area and none of that shit applies. Pay the city to bring out water and sewer. Pay the power company to throw up transformers. Build to something vaguely resembling code. Bipity bopity boop.

None of that though. It isn't happening,
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Colt1860:

Housing prices are quite a bit different now than they were in the 80s.  Did you have a paper route to work your way through college too?
View Quote

I had several jobs during college, yes.

Housing prices ARE different.  But so are salaries.  My first professional job out of college paid $14,400.  PER YEAR.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Elijah1:
Why would you limit the free markets?
View Quote

Are the corporatists not limiting the free market buy buying it up excessively?

Fuck hedge funds and Blackrock and the corpos.

Bring back the middle class.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Taboot:
I hated being a landlord.  I made a lot of money at it, but it sucked.
View Quote

Yup.  I did a thread on being a landlord.  IT'S NOT FREE MONEY.  It's a J.O.B.  Most people don't like work, esp. "extra" work.  Being a landlord is not for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Paul:
Why would government want to restrict who can buy a home in a free country except to create housing crisis and higher costs?

View Quote

Bc that govt created the housing crisis by importing people and keeping interest rates artificially low while printing money to keep costs higher and now they want to unfuck America.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:

What you are seeing is the distortion of relativity, or “keeping up with the Jones”.  People benchmark themselves against people they know, or people they read about in the news.

Even poor Americans are rich by historical standards and cross geography.  It’s obvious when you begin to notice that our poor people are fat.  They aren’t starving like poor people in Africa or India.  They mostly have cars, TVs, phones, computers, plenty of food to eat.  They live better than kings of old.

But, because they compare themselves to their neighbors, or someone on Facebook, perception is very skewed.

Capitalism has been so effective, that people who are rich by historical standards actually feel like they are poor.  That is how successful it has been.
View Quote

You are 100% correct.  The poorest people have smart phones.  Imagine that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]

I had several jobs during college, yes.

Housing prices ARE different.  But so are salaries.  My first professional job out of college paid $14,400.  PER YEAR.
View Quote

Housing price to median income is nothing like what it was then.  I know that's inconvenient but it's a fact.  You can't have any experience with real estate if you don't know that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Did I hit a nerve?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure:

lol.

Don't worry about me sugar tits, I barely post on this place because I have a life and have a damn fine nest egg.

I hear there are other threads here you haven't wowed everyone with your presence in so I won't monopolize your time.

Did I hit a nerve?

Not possible. I actually agree with you on a lot of things, I live way below my means and save 50%+ of my income every year. I just have better shit to do with my time than make tens of thousands of posts desperately trying to make my e-dick bigger by talking down to everyone.

Have a great evening.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Wtf? Offspring? Who talks like that? People who don’t have “offspring” or get laid for that matter.
View Quote

If you don't like my wording the exit is thataway.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
why are you pretending that is some amazing high cost thing?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Elijah1: Why would you limit the free markets?
Paul: Why would government want to restrict who can buy a home in a free country except to create housing crisis and higher costs?
View All Quotes
Elijah1: Why would you limit the free markets?
Paul: Why would government want to restrict who can buy a home in a free country except to create housing crisis and higher costs?
First, don't delude people that our centrally planned usury based economy is a free market.

The reason for regulation is the same reason that there are purity laws for food.

@JaredGrey
JaredGrey: Any corporation that owns more than 5 single family homes and isn’t headquartered in the same city as those homes should be taxed so heavily that their taxes construct an equivalent number of new single family homes per year.
That's a good start!

No residential rental property can be owned by a corporation outside of the state, or a publicly traded corporation.  Eminent domain single family rentals and auction them off to county residents.  There can be certain exceptions, and finessing of the written law.  Mortgage reform is needed, zoning policies will have to be adopted to create infill and higher density housing, criminal prosecution and punishment will have to be escalated and exempted from leftish sentimentalities, and very importantly we must halt immigration and pursue demigration.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#21]

With texas as an example: You can just do it in an unincorporated area and none of that shit applies. Pay the city to bring out water and sewer. Pay the power company to throw up transformers. Build to something vaguely resembling code. Bipity bopity boop.

View All Quotes
One guy's definition of a "starter home" is different than the next. Old-ass Sears shacks and WWII tract housing sell for millions in some spots. What's morally reprehensible is the lack of developer interest in building lower cost houses. This is historically the way "The housing problem" has been solved in the United States.

It the past, some dude would just buy up 100 acres. Slice it into 1000 Sq ft lots. Throw a million crackerboxes on it and sell them at a 50% markup.

The cost to create an improved lot is why you don't see more affordable homes being built.  Regulations, zoning, materials, labor; all that shit is more expensive than ever.  I see the building in unincorporated county every day, and those builders are not going to build KB/Lennar-style starter homes after paying $50K/acre for unimproved land.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Riply21:
View Quote

People get all tripped up on the price of phones and completely ignore the fact that avocado toast is $100k per serving.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Housing price to median income is nothing like what it was then.  I know that's inconvenient but it's a fact.  You can't have any experience with real estate if you don't know that.
View Quote

My first home had a 12% interest rate, bubba.  I refi'd to 9% years later and I thought I had died and gone to Heaven.

Tell me more about my experience.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:43:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cj3waker] [#24]
I'm 35, bought my first home at 21, and my current home is paid off.

I don't think corporations should be able to own any real property.

This will never happen but it at least feasible to consider, the rest of my whacko ideas are even farther removed from reality:

I also don't think we should recognize corporations as anything other than they are (just some words written on paper)

Property tax should be replaced by sales tax. Primary residences should not subject to sales tax. Everyone should have the ability to own their own home without it being subject to taxes, taxing anything on top of that is fair

single family residential zoning shouldn't be subject to any permitting or code
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#25]
There aren't any starter homes being built here. A starter home us 1500 Sq ft. Ranch style, simple roof. Plain counter tops. The ones being built here are nothing like that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockZen] [#26]

I think you're overestimating the average arfcommer.  If they followed it with a marketing campaign with American flags and Lee Greenwood songs, some of us would try to give them whatever money they had left while bragging about their starving children.
View Quote

Effectively Wall Street was just exploiting the loopholes, where they knew that they could park all the inflated dollars in residential housing because the Fed and the Government would bail them out.  By Wall Street, its really funds that represent ultrawealthy Americans across the USA, who have amassed fortunes in the last 20 years, and don't want to lose their money. They also increasingly represent foreign investors, who want invest in America and love real estate.

This is happening because overall Americans are poorer, and getting poorer by the day.  We may get a window of reprieve here if the real estate market continues to correct, but the Fed will never allow the 60% reset that is needed, everyone who bought housing in the last 5 years should be carrying about 30% negative equity. Because there is no real housing shortage, its been propped up by too many investors, not just wall street, but everyone who make six figures is also running an Airbnb side hustle.

In South Florida 30%-40% of the transactions in the last couple of years have been to investors, and that is the same in many communities, like Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Austin,.  If we believe in free markets, than we need to let the market crash, and not allow any bailout of investors or homeowners.  But I doubt it will  be allowed to happen.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Boom.  Head shot.

Example: I had a single family in Portland that I wanted to sell.  Very old home, very small, nice neighborhood.  I had a half dozen bidders in a couple days.  One bidder was a corporate entity.  They made a nice offer but got outbid by someone else - a family.  The winning bidder came in and immediately bulldozed the place and built a real nice, big craftsman style.  It benefited the entire neighborhood.  Win win.

That's how the market should work.
View Quote

Not really bro. Not the head shot you think it is. How does it benefit the neighborhood when the highest bidder ends up being the mega corp or hedge fund that then decides to rent the properties welfare gremlins for that sweet guaranteed section 8 money or rents it to 20 illegals? What happens when they buy a significant portion of homes in a neighborhood and then decide the neighborhood could use some DEI? How is that helping anything? What about a hedge fund buying the majority of the properties in an area to inflate prices to force people in the area to rent from same hedge fund at their inflated rental prices?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

It's not a high cost "thing" because some large corps came in and made it affordable for even the poorest people.  Like Apple, and Samsung.  But they're evil corporations who have monopolized the phone business.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:

Interesting thing is that it’s just basic human nature, and most of us fall for the same trap.

Given someone a million dollars and they won’t feel rich.  They’ll just change who they associate with and compare themselves to someone who has $10 million and again feel poor.

See this all the time.  People will have a boat, and feel inferior because someone else has a bigger boat.  Human nature is a pretty effed up thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Lou_Daks: You are 100% correct.  The poorest people have smart phones.  Imagine that.
View Quote
And all it took was outsourcing the industry to a self avowed Communist country which uses prisoner slave labor, and works their population so ruthlessly that it has to wrap the smart phone factories with jump suicide prevention nets.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#31]

My first home had a 12% interest rate, bubba.  I refi'd to 9% years later and I thought I had died and gone to Heaven.

View Quote

Back to the usual.  I'm not saying your experience didn't happen, I'm saying that things have changed in 40 years.  This is the same old broken record.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:

So true

I sold 8 houses to Chinese nationals, some locals put in bids on all of them but they couldn’t compete. The homes are all sitting empty now

Got my money so zfg

/s
View Quote

These people should be taxed to death.  Either live here and pay taxes or get hit with something else to make up for it.  If this is an investment I don't want China to own the US without at least paying for it...as so far they got us for cheap....
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#33]

It's not a high cost "thing" because some large corps came in and made it affordable for even the poorest people.  Like Apple, and Samsung.  But they're evil corporations who have monopolized the phone business.
View Quote
Does the government regulate who can build a phone where they can build a phone what materials are used etc? does the company need government approval to build each phone?  Because they do that with housing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Not really bro. Not the head shot you think it is. How does it benefit the neighborhood when the highest bidder ends up being the mega corp or hedge fund that then decides to rent the properties welfare gremlins for that sweet guaranteed section 8 money or rents it to 20 illegals? What happens when they buy a significant portion of homes in a neighborhood and then decide the neighborhood could use some DEI? How is that helping anything? What about a hedge fund buying the majority of the properties in an area to inflate prices to force people in the area to rent from same hedge fund at their inflated rental prices?
View Quote

I already toll u that the Top 3 housing outfits own 227,000 units COMBINED.  At most, they house about 1 million people.  It's called a FACT.  In a country of 350 MILLION people.

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#35]
The market will just create more land.
View Quote

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/southchinasea/china-artificial-islands-10312022043801.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Jkees:

Rule #2: Profit off of your fellow Americans making misguided mistakes?
View Quote

Isn't that the business model of Payday loan businesses and Furnature rental stores?

It's not illegal to market to stupid people.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Back to the usual.  I'm not saying your experience didn't happen, I'm saying that things have changed in 40 years.  This is the same old broken record.
View Quote

Every generation has its challenges incl. mine and yours.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Ethical? No, unless I am invested in those funds and benefiting from it, then it is perfectly ethical.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Say what you want about China, they figured out a long time ago that having billions of dirt poor peasants makes for a great economy, at least for the few that are on top.  And we're trying like hell to get there too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By thesquidliest:
The cost to create an improved lot is why you don't see more affordable homes being built.  Regulations, zoning, materials, labor; all that shit is more expensive than ever.  I see the building in unincorporated county every day, and those builders are not going to build KB/Lennar-style starter homes after paying $50K/acre for unimproved land.
View All Quotes

43560 Sq feet in an acre. Your average medium density crackbox with a one car is 1500. Include space for roads and utilities, call it an even 2000 square feet per lot. Are you telling me it's unfeasible to build a one bedroom, one bath, one car because of $2500 in land costs?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:
Dont rent from them.
View Quote

Won't matter .gov will pay the rent so illegals can live there,see how that works. Corporations buying up used homes,usually what would be considered starter homes is a big problem and why the younger generations are priced out of home ownership. They are renting these to illegals,sect 8 and others that get rent assistance that guarantees they get their rent every month.  I work with a kid that makes $20.00hr busting tires,he and his girlfriend are paying $1700.00 month for a rat hole of a 1 bedroom apt. They are both in their early twenties so no way they are going to be buying a 250k house in this town. That 250k house would have been 125k or less 5 years ago before covid and it's still a fixer upper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Isn't that the business model of Payday loan businesses and Furnature rental stores?

It's not illegal to market to stupid people.
View Quote

Does anyone remember the outfits that rented WHEELS?  lol, I do.

Billions of $ are made in the U.S. every year selling CIGARETTES and ALCOHOL.  Products that KILL its users.  And here we are, but nobody in GD whines about that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Every generation has its challenges incl. mine and yours.

View Quote

Yeah numbers are a lie that Satan tells us to test our faith.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

The median price for a single-family homes sold in the U.S. in 1981  was 68,900 that would be equivalent to around $230,000 in today's dollars the actual median new home sales price is 417,400

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I just sold a 2 bedroom house in Ferguson MO for $60000. To me that seems doable on a pretty low income. Now don’t get me wrong my family won’t be moving there anytime soon. But don’t tell me there is no affordable housing, shit a single wide down the road from me just sold for under $40000 and it comes with an acre of land.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:55:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Does anyone remember the outfits that rented WHEELS?  lol, I do.

Billions of $ are made in the U.S. every year selling CIGARETTES and ALCOHOL.  Products that KILL its users.  And here we are, but nobody in GD whines about that.
View Quote

Well hopefully the government will never regulate alcohol and tobacco.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
Any corporation that owns more than 5 single family homes and isn’t headquartered in the same city as those homes should be taxed so heavily that their taxes construct an equivalent number of new single family homes per year.
View Quote

I thought AOC said some pretty insane shit. Did you just hand her your Bud-Light before typing that out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
The market will respond to shortages.
View Quote

A free market will.

Much of the US is infected with crony capitalism and isn't remotely close to a free market.

That's what's really getting exploited here by the hedge funds.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#49]

43560 Sq feet in an acre. Your average medium density crackbox with a one car is 1500. Include space for roads and utilities, call it an even 2000 square feet per lot. Are you telling me it's unfeasible to build a one bedroom, one bath, one car because of $2500 in land costs?
View All Quotes

Neglected to mention local ordinances that require minimum one-acre lots for SFHs in my AOR.  Peeps don't think zoning do wut it does to price, but it do.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt1860] [#50]
The median price for a single-family homes sold in the U.S. in 1981  was 68,900 that would be equivalent to around $230,000 in today's dollars the actual median new home sales price is 417,400
View Quote

Sounds like somebody just needs to work harder.  That's only like 400 iphones dude.  Make some sacrifices.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top