Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By staringback05:
Like another said. 5.3 is a great motor....and then the government got involved

If you find one in good condition...just tune out the active fuel management
View Quote

The oil consumption issues weren't all AFM related. But GM was able to decertify those class actions as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:01:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tabraha] [#2]
AFM/DFM module is available. States it works 21-current 24.

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/parts/RA007

Range DFM Module Installation

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SNORCdriver:
I still like GM trucks over the others but had to totally abandon 1/2 tons due to the 5.3 & the AFM BS.
My 2024 silverado 3/4 tn 6.6 gasser still has a key (no stop start), no AFM and, as an added bonus, it's amazingly easy to disconnect the external antenna connection to the on-star & ECM modules
View Quote

This is where I'm at.  Just bought a 2024 2500HD mainly to avoid the fuel efficacy crap on the 1/2 tons.  Between the lifter issues and the lethargic transmission programming, I swore I'd never buy another one.  I don't give a crap about the gas mileage.  The 6.6 gasser is a great motor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Will the diablo tuner still work with these models?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:

Still have the faulty lifters after a tune.
View Quote

This. If it's like the rams, the lifters are different. You don't fix the problem with a tune
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
2015 Tahoe 260k. Put the obd afm disable on around 180k.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Update: both banks failed. No codes but when took it apart three lifters were fucked up. Replaced both banks.

Dealer said they’ve never seen it happen twice which I’d say is a lie since they said if the cam was damaged engines were one month back order.

Ordered the new Range DFM disabler.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#8]

That fixes alot. The percentage of failures falls off once you turn it off. I do agree the lifters are a problem, but I can find several items on Ford and dodge engines that have significant failure rates
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bloviator:

That only fixes part of the problem.   You need to strip the engine down to a short block, change the cam and lifters to completely fix it.

That fixes alot. The percentage of failures falls off once you turn it off. I do agree the lifters are a problem, but I can find several items on Ford and dodge engines that have significant failure rates

It fixes nothing.  The Hardware is still there waiting to break.     Why make excuses?
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I was able to put about 220k miles on my 2007 with AFM but at about 150k I bought a dongle to disable AFM as I could feel it in 4 cyl mode and didn't like it.  I used Mobil-1 exclusively so that may have helped it survive.  Honestly, motor mounts were the biggest issue in the engine compartment.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By forager:
Anything with Active fuel management is prone to the issue... not sure about the newer stuff.. but 07 and up... suspect
View Quote

Thankfully I have a 2005 6.0 that's going strong at 198k, all original drivetrain. GM has screwed the pooch. My elderly dad's 2021 Chev1500 5.3 with just 21k shit the bed in middle of nowhere stranding him and his SO a couple weeks ago in NM. Possibly a blown head gasket...from a car that gets driven like once a week to church and grocery store FFS.  I've building Buick, Pontiac, and Chev engines and driving GM products since the 80's and will now not touch a newer GM product.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
On DOD motor, swap to LS7 lifters, comp rock bearing upgrade, 7.4” push rods and a small cam and enjoy one of the best motors ever built
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top