User Panel

Page / 4
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
No way it fails.

I will be outside looking up though, just in case.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
This is such a disgrace.
View Quote

This

Is.

Boeing!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Where will the Boeing astronauts shelter if there’s an incident, like debris strike?
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

This

Is.

Boeing!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
This is such a disgrace.

This

Is.

Boeing!!!

Ok I laughed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this guy:

Attachment Attached File

The same as this guy?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The breakout burn allows for a faster departure from the station, said Anthony Vareha, the lead NASA space station flight director for the undocking, as well as accommodates the lack of crew on board. “Without the crew on board, able to take manual control if needed, there’s just a lot less variables that we need to account for when we do the breakout burn, and allows us to get the vehicle on a trajectory home that much sooner.”

Stich added that this trajectory puts “less stress” on reaction control system (RCS) thrusters, whose problems on approach to the station in June ultimately led to NASA’s decision to have the spacecraft return without a crew on board. “There’s a lot fewer thruster firings,” he said.
View Quote

Can someone smarter than me please explain how not having people onboard who can manually fix a problem gives LESS variables?
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GoGo:
see "Kaleidoscope" by Ray Bradbury

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 5:42:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#9]
Originally Posted By Bullwhip2006:

Can someone smarter than me please explain how not having people onboard who can manually fix a problem gives LESS variables?
View All Quotes
The breakout burn allows for a faster departure from the station, said Anthony Vareha, the lead NASA space station flight director for the undocking, as well as accommodates the lack of crew on board. “Without the crew on board, able to take manual control if needed, there’s just a lot less variables that we need to account for when we do the breakout burn, and allows us to get the vehicle on a trajectory home that much sooner.”

Stich added that this trajectory puts “less stress” on reaction control system (RCS) thrusters, whose problems on approach to the station in June ultimately led to NASA’s decision to have the spacecraft return without a crew on board. “There’s a lot fewer thruster firings,” he said.

Over/under corrections, bumping stuff, female passenger slamming door and using screen to put on makeup...
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cavedog:

LOL. You trust those bozos to upload the right version?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  It launched without the remote/autonomous mission module loaded.

Rather clearly, that has been uploaded since.

LOL. You trust those bozos to upload the right version?

Well, Boeing's hoping their Indian software engineers got the version tracking right.

But, as long as the undocking goes smoothly - and springs in the docking port itself will kick Stayliner away - Stayliner's orbit will eventually decay regardless of whether its thrusters work or not.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
Where will the Boeing astronauts shelter if there’s an incident, like debris strike?
View Quote

In the cargo area of the currently docked Dragon.

Boeing’s Starliner Spacecraft Is Ready For Its Return To Earth
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
View Quote

Outside.  Being smaller than the space station makes them less likely to get struck by debris.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 7:12:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#14]

View All Quotes

It was an overt way to say the normal slow process circles the station after it undocks and they dont trust Starliner so they are hitting the gas and getting away in a quicker straight path.

Less variable is his way of saying less risk.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I went with the 'A few glitches' vote, but in all honesty, I would not be surprised at all if it burned up or made a big hole in the ground.
Nothing about this program surprises me, it just disappoints me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
I'll be watching for chutes, the most likely failure during descent.

View Quote

Non deploy or rip?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

It launched without the remote/autonomous mission module loaded.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tstorms:  I was under the impression they didn't upload the software for them to bring back the capsule remotely.

Rather clearly, Are you sure about that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:52:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PeepEater] [#18]
How bad does this thing have to fail to impact stock prices? Burn up in atmo? Randomly explode? Go completely dead but land in recoverable shape?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By akrado:
Must be a solid chance of flaming disassembly if they aren't letting the men return.  Why not just launch it at the sun if they are that worried?

Don't want that shit missing its target and cometting down onto los alamos or some neighborhood.    

View Quote

They don't have the means of launching it at the sun.  It's coming back to Earth one way or another either now or later with or without the ISS attached to it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Have you ever noticed what direction rockets leaving Florida fly in?
View Quote

Yup, and if they overshoot, guess where I live?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tstorms:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tstorms:
Originally Posted By tstorms:  I was under the impression they didn't upload the software for them to bring back the capsule remotely.

Quite.  Now whether Boeing's DEI hires managed to load the correct version, or whether the latest version written by India's finest software engineers works the 1st time in a live environment, I guess we'll find out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:51:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#24]
Originally Posted By PeepEater: How bad does this thing have to fail to impact stock prices? Burn up in atmo? Randomly explode? Go completely dead but land in recoverable shape?
View Quote

Worst case scenarios:

1) Newly loaded software goes nuts immediately after undocking, impacting the ISS, and causing loss of pressurization in one or more modules;

2) Newly loaded autonomous software bricks the craft immediately after undocking, causing it to very slowly drift away from ISS, becoming an uncontrolled piece of very large space debris.  Orbit decays over years, resulting in an uncontrolled reentry and a smoking hole in someone's house as the batteries to operate the parachutes would have expired.

3) Total attitude thruster failure caused by a combination of thruster issues and the new software means the retro burn is badly controlled, and Stayliner lands by parachute in Russia, Iran, China, North Korea, Syria, John-in-Austin's back yard, etc.

4) Thrusters work adequately, but newly loaded autonomous software holds the wrong orientation on reentry, causing the Command Module to undergo a significant thermal event, triggering a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly during the descent.

5) Thrusters work adequately, holding the correct orientation during reentry, but the newly loaded software fails to trigger the parachute subroutine, resulting in a smoking hole in White Sands.

Any variation on those 5 would likely negatively effect Boeing's stock price.  None are likely to happen.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#25]

In the cargo area of the currently docked Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_AaXav5wFg
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
It would take an insane amount of propellant to hit the sun along with several gravity assists from other planetary bodies.  It’s going down, not up.
View Quote

Twirling, Twirling, Twirling Towards Freedom! (The Simpsons)
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Getting close to undock, NASA stream link added to OP.

NASA’s Boeing Crew Flight Test Undocking
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I sure I'm hoping for the best.

Our country needs good news
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 49north:
I sure I'm hoping for the best.

Our country needs good news
View Quote
I'm afraid that this year is the year of bad news.

Has been for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:58:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dorobuta] [#30]

If they have enough Delta V to deorbit under power, they have enough Delta V to raise it to a higher orbit.

They don't have the Delta V to yeet from the Solar System, and it's damn difficult to crash into the sun.  You have to significantly lower your orbital velocity to fall into the sun.
View Quote

Edit to fix a misconception I had - you do literally have to speed up to de-orbit.

Show the math, because I believe you are wrong.

It is harder to reacher higher orbits - takes more fuel and more velocity. (The shuttle was not capable of high earth orbits and is one of the reasons the ISS is not in a higher orbit)

De-orbiting involves slowing down, Speeding up (but in the right direction) climbing in orbit does require more energy, as does de-orbiting from a higher orbit

Falling into the Sun, literally involves reaching escape velocity, leaving earth's orbit and being captured by the sun's gravity well. (there's a bunch of avoiding falling into the gravity wells of Venus and Mercury kinds of stuff, as well as being headed in the right direction when you leave earth orbit, but lowering your orbital velocity to fall into the sun isn't one of them. Unless you are confusing lowering the orbital velocity of a PLANET causing it to fall into the Sun's gravity well, with the trajectory of a spacecraft)

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Oof.  They just called the next Crew Dragon the "orbital Uber!"
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:00:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#32]
Beat.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder if there's any delay on the feed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#34]
undocked.  They gonna send someone out to shut the sunroof?

Heard that the entry port closure will be around 6:42pm
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Is this the 10th Stayliner thread or the 13th?  I've lost track.

OP didn't bother searching for shit.
View Quote

Who gives a shit.  No person who doesn’t live on GD 24/7 is going to go balls deep in those long purse swinging threads to look for new info.  Usually won’t find it anyway as most threads turn into internet dick measuring after 3 pages.

New info, new thread.  That’s my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#36]
NASA will start the live streaming of the re-entry and landing at 10:50pm EDT.

NASA's Boeing Crew Flight Test Re-entry and Landing
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:

Edit to fix a misconception I had - you do literally have to speed up to de-orbit.

It is harder to reacher higher orbits - takes more fuel and more velocity. (The shuttle was not capable of high earth orbits and is one of the reasons the ISS is not in a higher orbit)

De-orbiting involves slowing down, Speeding up (but in the right direction) climbing in orbit does require more energy, as does de-orbiting from a higher orbit
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dorobuta:
Originally Posted By backbencher: If they have enough Delta V to deorbit under power, they have enough Delta V to raise it to a higher orbit.

They don't have the Delta V to yeet from the Solar System, and it's damn difficult to crash into the sun.  You have to significantly lower your orbital velocity to fall into the sun.

Speeding up in the right direction?

No, I'm not doing orbital mechanics equations for you.  Go play some KSP and get back to me.

If you have the DeltaV to deorbit in a contolled manner, you have the DeltaV to raise your orbit.  All orbital changes require DeltaV or atmospheric drag.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
I think it will make it back, but with issues that would have killed the passengers.
View Quote

If so, I doubt we'd heard about it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I've got my popcorn.
It needs to hit the Trinity obelisk or I'll be severely disappointed.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:21:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Malhass] [#40]
These 2 astronauts are going to sue the shit out of Boeing and NASA if they make it back..what a nightmare.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Malhass:
These 2 astronauts are going to sue the shit out of Boeing and NASA if they make it back..
View Quote

Pretty sure they signed a stack of paperwork three feet high that included an agreement not to sue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#42]
If you get stuck at the space station, do you get overtime?

I am thinking the first 8 hrs of the day strait time, second 8 hours time and a half, and the third 8 hours double time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#43]
The Joe Biden of spacecraft.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#44]
So, I guess everything must be in place to fake the safe return if Stayliner undocked.

A night return makes it easier I'm sure.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Little less than 2 hours for the hard touch down.

those thruster thingys looked like they were working. Most of them anyway. When do they close the hatch?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Kihn:
Little less than 2 hours for the hard touch down.

those thruster thingys looked like they were working. Most of them anyway. When do they close the hatch?
View Quote

Whenever HAL decides it needs closing...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Have you ever noticed what direction rockets leaving Florida fly in?
View Quote
Straight up?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By fingas:

Straight up?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Have you ever noticed what direction rockets leaving Florida fly in?

Straight up?

Try again...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:32:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#49]

Try again...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Have you ever noticed what direction rockets leaving Florida fly in?

Straight up?

Try again...

I've waited for GD to answer, and now my tism is twitching.

Numerical heading will depend on the desired orbit, but generally east to get the 450ish m/s boost from earth's rotation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Try again...
View All Quotes

Straight up?

Try again...

In the direction of outer space duh...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top