BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
The Iowa counties make no sense at all.  Dubuque County I could maybe see, the others no.  Skips to the two college town counties completely.  That little red county in the far northwest is Lyon.  Nobody lives there.  The others are just ordinary farm country.  Whatever data base they are using is nonsense.
View Quote
It's % based, so if there's 10 adults in the county and they're all drunk, that counts more than a county with 100,000 where 50,000 are drunk.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#2]
No surprise.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JRoy:
Nothing in Nevada? I call bullshit.
View Quote

Exactly as you said,  there's nothing in Nevada.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

I remember someone here arguing that it was impossible to get a 5th DUI, or even more. Still one of the saddest e-arguments to 'win'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ayada:
Originally Posted By BCPVP:

There are reservations all throughout those areas.
https://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/files/imce/amind/First_Nations_of_Wisconsin_Map.jpg

But we are a drunk-ass state outside the res too. I still remember taking a highschool field trip for a law class to the local courthouse to observe some pre-trial pleadings and of the 3 cases we had time to observe, 2 were for 5th offense DUI.

I remember someone here arguing that it was impossible to get a 5th DUI, or even more. Still one of the saddest e-arguments to 'win'.

LOL I'm sad I missed that argument.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:

I don't think people from outside the upper midwest realize just how much booze we up here consume.  Most people I know have at least a couple of drinks EVERY night of the week, and more on weekends. I'm not even talking about alcoholics or drunks, just normal people having a few beers every single night. Always. I now fit into that category myself, and I can't even remember the last time I was drunk, maybe 3 or 4 years ago?  My parents didn't drunk much which was fairly unusual. My dad would have A beer at get together but I never saw him or my mother drunk in my life.  But most friends and family always have a drink or two at pretty much every event, and with dinner at home with family. I come from a solidly middle to upper middle class area, not a trailer park. Neighbors and family friends were teachers, mechanics, plumbers, etc. I didn't really know many alcoholics growing up, just lots of people who enjoyed a drink or two. I rarely saw any of my friends parents drunk save on friend.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

They should be.  There's a geography lesson upthread indicating the mapmakers screwed up, and Oglala county is actually is the SW of the state.  Good to know.  Zero.zero intention of ever going there.  Though lots of the rest of SD look very pretty.

Also pushing X for doubt on Montana not being represented.  I literally laughed out loud, visiting family in Missoula, and seeing at a brewery, three separate whiteboards filled with the names of different Montana breweries and distilleries.  Far exceeding the number in the Greater Houston area.  We have over 5 million people; Montana has around 3.

I don't think people from outside the upper midwest realize just how much booze we up here consume.  Most people I know have at least a couple of drinks EVERY night of the week, and more on weekends. I'm not even talking about alcoholics or drunks, just normal people having a few beers every single night. Always. I now fit into that category myself, and I can't even remember the last time I was drunk, maybe 3 or 4 years ago?  My parents didn't drunk much which was fairly unusual. My dad would have A beer at get together but I never saw him or my mother drunk in my life.  But most friends and family always have a drink or two at pretty much every event, and with dinner at home with family. I come from a solidly middle to upper middle class area, not a trailer park. Neighbors and family friends were teachers, mechanics, plumbers, etc. I didn't really know many alcoholics growing up, just lots of people who enjoyed a drink or two. I rarely saw any of my friends parents drunk save on friend.

I had a long-term project with people from Wisconsin.  Agreed.  Things got mildly heated (between them; I feel about cocktails like I feel about BBQ) about what a proper Old Fashioned was and wasn't.  Hilarious.  They do seem to drink a little...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JDennis:

NW IA county has quiet a few native Americans and has a couple colleges.

The other Iowa counties are Univ of IA, UNI/Waterloo/Cedar Falls, the one on the Mississippi is a very blue color factory county.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BB:
Invalid. Not one reservation listed.

The other Iowa counties are Univ of IA, UNI/Waterloo/Cedar Falls, the one on the Mississippi is a very blue color factory county.

Not quite, The eastern red ones are Linn (Cedar Rapids) and Delaware Counties, Greens are Winneshiek (Luther College), Dubuque (2 colleges), and Clinton counties.

Yes, lot's of blue collar factory workers and colleges, but U of I and UNI don't rank b/c to large of an overall population that brings down the overall drinking % of the county.

I'd have to stay drunk all the time if I lived in CR too
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I knew WI would be the winner.  I used to haul a lot of beer up there.  Them girls like their brandy Alexander's.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]

I had a long-term project with people from Wisconsin.  Agreed.  Things got mildly heated (between them; I feel about cocktails like I feel about BBQ) about what a proper Old Fashioned was and wasn't.  Hilarious.  They do seem to drink a little...
View Quote

Old Fashions are serious business in Wisconsin.  Very serious.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
How the Hell is Florida not included.
The Villages.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:38:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#10]
Attachment Attached File

Wisconsin was the last state to surrender to the nanny-state big-government overreach of the 'drinking age.' You can work in an establishment that serves alcohol at 16, but you have to be 18 to actually serve alcohol. With a large German population, Wisconsin was the brewery capital of America. Beer & brats are like hot dogs & apple pie, it's just classic fare for every decent household.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Old Fashions are serious business in Wisconsin.  Very serious.
View Quote

Truth. I never even heard of Korbel brandy before I moved here. Found out that Korbel sells over half its total production in this state. And there are many variations of the state cocktail, from really sweet (topping up a regular size glass with 7-Up) to pretty much sour. You ask for an old fashioned, and every bartender first asks "sweet or sour" and chances are they all do it slightly differently.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Only time WI’s drinking made sense is when visiting family back in Poland.  

First thing they did was crack open beers.  Anytime we did anything, someone brought a shit ton of beers.  City center of Warsaw I order a beer at an outside restaurant…it came in like a half gallon mug.  Every place sold beer.  

Now I understand how my Polish mother would pound a 12 pack in the evening and not even be drunk.  In WI if  theres less than 3 cases of beer in your house you are considered ‘almost out of beer’.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Times have changed, but growing up my home town had the highest beer tax revenue per capita of any town in Texas.  Eventually I went to UT - which had a bar which formerly had that title for highest per bar in the state.

That said, my town has dried out a bit.  We no longer have 12 bars servicing less than 1k population.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Thuban:
I thought that was a joke, then I looked it up. I can't verify the map, but it is probably based on reality...

Here is the ranking from drunkest to least drunk in full:

Wisconsin
North Dakota
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Illinois
Massachusetts
Alaska
Hawaii
Montana
New Hampshire
Colorado
Maine
Ohio
Wyoming
Missouri
Rhode Island
Michigan
Louisiana
Texas
Vermont
Nevada
California
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
New York
Kansas
Oregon
New Jersey
Indiana
Washington
Virginia
South Carolina
Kentucky
Florida
Connecticut
North Carolina
Delaware
Arizona
Maryland
Idaho
New Mexico
Arkansas
Georgia
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Alabama
Mississippi
West Virginia
Utah

Years ago, a friend's son got in trouble for doing something really, really stupid and got arrested for it. (And I mean stupid, not harmful. No one was hurt or in danger of being hurt, no property was damaged, no malice was intended, everyone thought it was funny.)

Anyway, I went with this friend to get her kid out of juvenile. The officer there said, "We did drug test him and he's clean, so that's good." And I said, "no it's not. Now he doesn't have an excuse." The officer laughed and said that he had thought the same thing.

Which brings me to my state and the other states at the bottom of the list. We can't blame alcohol, so, what's the deal?
View Quote

West Virginia is #2 in sobriety?  Those moonshiners must have paid-off the poll man.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Wrong.  Lyon County is the red county in NW Iowa and has a population of ~12,000.  There aren't any colleges and very few (if any?) Native Americans in Lyon County.  

Drive through the largest town (Rock Rapids) and the two small bars are half empty on Friday/Saturday night.  I have a hard time believing it makes the top 50.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#16]
New Orleans isn't included b/c we don't have counties, he have parishes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By d16man:

I visited a reservation in SD in college and ran into many, many alcoholics.  It was sad.
View Quote

A friend of mine won a construction contract at one of the reservations.

He told me the culverts on the side of the roads were filled with empty beer cans up to your thighs.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to live in Milwaukee.  The whole town smelled like the morning after a frat party.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I was going to ask if they were all in Wisconsin.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:

West Virginia is #2 in sobriety?  Those moonshiners must have paid-off the poll man.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ranxerox911:
Originally Posted By Thuban:
I thought that was a joke, then I looked it up. I can't verify the map, but it is probably based on reality...

Here is the ranking from drunkest to least drunk in full:

Wisconsin
North Dakota
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Illinois
Massachusetts
Alaska
Hawaii
Montana
New Hampshire
Colorado
Maine
Ohio
Wyoming
Missouri
Rhode Island
Michigan
Louisiana
Texas
Vermont
Nevada
California
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
New York
Kansas
Oregon
New Jersey
Indiana
Washington
Virginia
South Carolina
Kentucky
Florida
Connecticut
North Carolina
Delaware
Arizona
Maryland
Idaho
New Mexico
Arkansas
Georgia
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Alabama
Mississippi
West Virginia
Utah

Years ago, a friend's son got in trouble for doing something really, really stupid and got arrested for it. (And I mean stupid, not harmful. No one was hurt or in danger of being hurt, no property was damaged, no malice was intended, everyone thought it was funny.)

Anyway, I went with this friend to get her kid out of juvenile. The officer there said, "We did drug test him and he's clean, so that's good." And I said, "no it's not. Now he doesn't have an excuse." The officer laughed and said that he had thought the same thing.

Which brings me to my state and the other states at the bottom of the list. We can't blame alcohol, so, what's the deal?

Maybe they based this off of legal alcohol sales so all the shine doesn't show up in their statistics.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Going off On Patrol Live, a lot of people in Indian river county Florida like to drive drunk.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Have you seen WI women? Makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By IDidThat:
Have you seen WI women? Makes sense.
View Quote
The bar life takes its toll.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Punisher] [#25]
WTF no Florida counties on that map. Some of the residents of The Villages are hammered at 10am.

There was a little bar called Harry’s Open Door in Lake Worth Fl. that had patrons knocking them back at 7am when I was headed to work in the morning years ago.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tazaroo] [#26]
I’m 55 years old and have lived in SE Wisconsin my whole life. Drinking is literally part of the fabric here.  Almost all public functions and family events revolve around it or are part of it.  This is the last state in American where your first DUI is just a moving violation.  Growing up in the 70’s probably through the mid 80’s, all my friends Dads (including mine) openly consumed beer during a normal drive in the car.  A family ride to “up north” usually warranted a 12 pack of Blatz, Pabst, Miller, Reinlander, Schlitz or a 750 of Brandy.  Most of the friends in my age group still ride with a “stealth roadie” for a night out or the ride home from work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Interested in their polling methods. Nearly half of our county population is college students attending what has consistently been labeled a top party school in the nation. We have businesses borrowing liquor licenses from every single adjoining county.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Way to go WI!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

Can confirm. And there is absolutely nothing to do in Hutch other than drink. I frequent Hutch because my sister lives there.
View Quote

My sister lives outside Lake Lillian.
When I visit, we drink at all appropriate opportunities...and some less than appropriate times.

It helps that her husband's family owns so much property that we can drive between all their houses and our cabin on private roads.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Papposilenus] [#30]

View Quote

When I first had an old fashioned it was in Wisconsin at a Super Club on Lake Koshkonong.

Then I moved to Kentucky for my second go at the drink. Fancy Bourbon bar walking distance from three large distilleries. The bartender was amused as all hell at my confusion.

Worlds apart, Cheesy Old Fashioneds gets you drunk real sneaky like, they should be blue and have an umbrella.  Horsy Old Fashioneds makes you feel like you should be wearing nicer pants and a hat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't see how Clark or Washoe county aren't number 1. Booze and drunks everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BB:
Invalid. Not one reservation listed.
View Quote

But are they "the US"?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Lincoln and Marathon counties are not on the list.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Strange that Racine and Kenosha are not on there ......

Makes me think data is skewed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By renegade509:
What else are they gonna do during their frigid winters?
View Quote

Screw. My family isn’t even Catholic and I have over 100
distant nieces/ nephews and cousins.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top