Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Job #1. Full time gig.  They are very happy of the 3% raise we just got.  But I got a $3 pay cut earlier in the year.  So yea.   It kinda sucks.  

Job #2.  Part time gig.  Doing bail bonds recovery at my best friends place.   Had safety issues that made me walk away from my best friend.  Powder related.

Job #3. Watching my coworker get absolutely fucked over by management.  She got hurt on the job and spent days on the ICU.  Management is now building a case against her. For no reason.  They are interviewing people about her and sharing her medical info with us.

Management is really fucking stupid at all jobs.  Kinda wish I could walk away from the workforce for a bit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolomite] [#2]
It's pretty fucked right now.  

Company's fer sale - 4th generation owners  - thier kids need bmw's.

It's not just fucking Stellantis (everyday the outsourcing of pcb board design and software to India is costing them millions upon millions in mistakes). GM & Ford also over committed to the near future of EV.

At least the union operators still continue to shine with beaming optimism - and that hard work ethic which they totally embrace.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerHammer] [#3]
The economy seems to have hit the brakes again recently and we’re having trouble keeping crews busy enough to retain them. We’ve lost several in the last two months. Last month saw a sharp drop in sales nationwide. Potential customers are hanging onto their money they might previously have used for discretionary spending. Now the lack of manpower is starting to cause extra stress for the rest of the company, and it’s going to get worse when the lull in new work hits once we burn through the remaining backlog.

I think that, at least in part, people (corporations) are waiting to see how the election turns out before spending any extra money.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Pay could be better, all I'm saying
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m guessing many are tired of the price of groceries doubling or tripling but pay remaining relatively unchanged in the last few years. I know that is my issue. I went from what I thought was a great job to one that just keeps my family afloat in the course of a few years. Hard to stay positive..
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:08:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anesvick] [#6]
I have my dream job nearly, no hate here.

The price of everything is not helping people's attitudes though, I have a feeling if the wicked witch of the west gets elected it's gonna get ugly.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shoe3:
I’m guessing many are tired of the price of groceries doubling or tripling but pay remaining relatively unchanged in the last few years. I know that is my issue. I went from what I thought was a great job to one that just keeps my family afloat in the course of a few years. Hard to stay positive..
View Quote

Same here, bud. Milk is $6 a gallon here right now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The work itself is good and I work with a great bunch of guys. Problems are coming from middle management attempting to micromanage and fix what ain't broke, and it sent morale into the toilet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Shazbat:
I swear no one even works anymore.

I worked from home for a LONG time before the covid nonsense, I loved being able to go to stores during the week and they’d be empty.

Now, Costco is a freaking madhouse open to close every day.
View Quote

Covid disrupted the grind that many took for granted as necessary or a way of life. More people got used to coasting where possible. Young workers are entering into that environment, and fewer are seeing what real hustle looks like.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Durham68:

Covid disrupted the grind that many took for granted as necessary or a way of life. More people got used to coasting where possible. Young workers are entering into that environment, and fewer are seeing what real hustle looks like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I worked from home for a LONG time before the covid nonsense, I loved being able to go to stores during the week and they’d be empty.

Not inaccurate. There's always still hungry dudes out there trying to get it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
It's the inflation.  Everything costs so much more that unless you got a huge raise, your job does, in fact, suck.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
It's the inflation.  Everything costs so much more that unless you got a huge raise, your job does, in fact, suck.
View Quote

Markets find a way. It does suck and we should abolish the Federal Reserve and charge them with crimes, but the beauty is we adapt. The negative is also that we adapt. We adapt to being oppressed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my job, but I hate that it helps support this farce we still call "America".  Little nagging feeling in my head all the time telling me the clock's ticking on all this bullshit charade.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I had an awesome job as far as jobs go.

Now, I'm biding my time, treading water.. it could be even worse at any moment and I am just thankful it isn't.

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MedmanKS:
Used to love my job.
Used to…
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

That’s very true, it’s made it very easy to excel with just putting in a normal day too.

I’ve taken stuff over from “IT”’that took weeks, and my team does it in minutes, I should probably have my team slow down a bit so we can have it in reserve when needed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#17]
My job is finally over the  original stress it was 2 years ago. I also reached my 20 years point. They can't fire me they have to retire me.
Also the people in my small group are helpful and don't set me up for failure. First group seemed to wait for the right time to stick a knife in my back. Also with my work the more I complete the programs on computer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I actually like my job, but it is kind of a unicorn in the field I work in. The position I have in is one that I'm unlikely to find again, and certainly not close enough to where I live.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Everyone is waiting for the election results.

T$ wins and there's hope.
But dems win, and cuts will be everywhere as companies slash costs to try to get through the next 4 years.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#20]
My job is actually one of the few bright spots in my life right now.
Pay is decent, my boss respects me, and I've got a good crew working for me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Job #1. Full time gig.  They are very happy of the 3% raise we just got.  But I got a $3 pay cut earlier in the year.  So yea.   It kinda sucks.  

Job #2.  Part time gig.  Doing bail bonds recovery at my best friends place.   Had safety issues that made me walk away from my best friend.  Powder related.

Job #3. Watching my coworker get absolutely fucked over by management.  She got hurt on the job and spent days on the ICU.  Management is now building a case against her. For no reason.  They are interviewing people about her and sharing her medical info with us.

Management is really fucking stupid at all jobs.  Kinda wish I could walk away from the workforce for a bit.
View Quote

Sounds like she's never going to have to work again.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#22]
My job itself is easy. Its the company that sucks and doesnt give jack shit for raises anymore. in before the YoUrE fReE tO lEaVe durrrr. well most companies these days fucking suck so theres that
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#23]
covid telework finally tapped into that final boss of work laziness is what happened. and its spiraled from there, from an enabler of antisocial shit point of view. "what you mean youre gonna force me to interact with humans again? and live? gtf here". it was like the last antisocial ultimate laziness gene was unleased.

more to come 2027
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Danus_ex] [#24]
Hard to have life in your eyes when you're urgently aware you could be the next head to roll.

I think the heart of today's problem is that current crop of business leaders:

A. Wasn't properly mentored in leadership or management by the previous generation.

B. Came of (business) age during the heady 90s and yearns to recreate those times.

C. Has been dealt a wild ass set of market circumstances, including rare shit like a pandemic and the end of a societal cycle (Bretton Wood/Pax Americana), even unprecedented circumstances like the beginning of demographic decline.

Nobody in charge knows what they're doing, and you almost can't blame them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Right now??

Working has absolutely sucked since I was 16.

48 now....
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
job market is favoring employers

employers turn into fucking assholes because they have no worry about retaining/replacing staff

View Quote

Wrong. My biggest issue is employees. I pay at the top of the scale for the industry, no mandatory overtime, no night, no weekends. I don’t yell, I work everyday at the same tasks as the employees, and I provide lunch everyday. I can’t even find people who want to work 5 days a week.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Bosses have lost their fucking minds.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#28]
No but I own my businesses so I don’t do 9-5 and don’t have to deal with a boss. Tomorrow my wife and I are taking an impromptu road trip to a cabin, just because we can.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

This. Every store I go in, from early morning to afternoon to later is always far too busy. No way these people work. Yet they obviously have $.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Nope. They don't have chains on me. I'm free to leave whenever I want to. I never forget where I came from.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:
I've literally lost count of how many "my job sucks so fucking bad anymore" conversations that various people have started with me over the past few months.  It has become a VERY common topic of conversation.  FWIW, my job sucks ass lately as well.

I also know several DECENT, hardworking, and experienced people who've recently lost their jobs.

What's going on out there?
View Quote

hate being chained to a computer all freakin day - Im pretty close turning into Peter man - just waiting for my meeting with the Bobs
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I think lots of good people got out during Covid and incompetent managers are in place now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I loved my job.

I will be back.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Here in Sweden, they have tradition of fikas, which are 30 minute coffee breaks during the day.  Employees get together for coffee and some snacks and shoot the shit. There's no work talk. It's intended to help bond teams together.

Even my wife, who works for the US embassy, partakes with the embassy staff, Americans and Swedes.  They love it.

Supposedly, firms that have fikas have 12% turnover vs 40% that don't have it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Corporate America sucks balls
Inflation sucks

Executive leadership is out of touch and hates you
Customers are entitled
RTO is retarded
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I fly corporate jets. I fucking love my job!
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
I like my job, but I hate that it helps support this farce we still call "America".  Little nagging feeling in my head all the time telling me the clock's ticking on all this bullshit charade.
View Quote

You're not alone. A company here recently started putting obnoxious American flag wraps on their equipment and it just feels like a forced, hollow gesture because most of us know things are anything but fine.

I wonder if it felt like this in the USSR in the late 80s.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
Originally Posted By 20229mm:

That’s how I see it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Add me to the list, hated it so much that I quit a month ago.

Personally I think the problem is the lack of compensation for the rising living costs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m with you. I’m just getting tired of being tie to my phone all day and time away from home.

“I I’m tired Boss….”
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#41]
I like mine. I work with great people and once in a while, a patient comes in to the ER that actually needs to be in the ER.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I’m seeing increased worker dissatisfaction due to workers being cut and the workload increasing on the remainder.  That works for a little bit, but eventually burnout sets in and people check out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:31:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Smitty908] [#43]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
Lots of bad management out there now. I could write a book.
View Quote

Lots of bad management that can't evolve beyond boomer values.  Lots of younger workers realizing they will never have their parents lifestyle.  They are now in DILLIGAF mode.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#45]
I’m incredibly fortunate to have my job.  It’s a very niche industry, it’s challenging, and it’s fulfilling.  I want to stay here until I retire, and that’s about a decade away.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:32:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Caboose314] [#46]
Mines going great.  I cashed in a decade worth of hard earned favors to get myself moved cross country to the place I wanted to be.  Cost of living is down, net income is up.  I also went from managing a team of nerds to just doing the nerd stuff I enjoy.  More fun, less stress.

Not working overtime (after years of 60 hour weeks).  Finally using my weekends for hobbies and PTO to travel.

Life is good.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:36:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prijador] [#47]
I often think of what Drew Carey said:
“You hate your job?  There’s a support group for that:  it’s called Everybody, and we meet at the bar.”
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

People quit managers, not jobs. MBAs are the soul sucking force of our economy.

Would you like to make widgets? I think I could make widgets! Could you work (schedule)? Sure I could work that schedule!

Men tend to find fulfillment in work, whether you're painting cars or fixing pipes or manning artillery. People are being trained to shun that, "personnel is your #1 expense" and other such nonsense. MBAs can measure every metric except humanity. And adopt every shitty Japanese flow theory they just read a book on. But they can't be bothered to ask you what your job entails, what's easy, and what's difficult.

This disconnect in how work is actually completed, how people are fulfilled, how profits are made, and how customers are retained, is the single biggest force making people miserable.
View Quote
I swear that clueless management is a requirement for getting your MBA. Corporate mgmt will step over $20 to save a nickle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Corporate America sucks balls
Inflation sucks

Executive leadership is out of touch and hates you
Customers are entitled
RTO is retarded
View Quote
TPMFNI
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Cost of living > income =
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top