Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Actiondiver:
If sales tax goes up to 22%, maybe we'd go from a consumer economy to one where quality matters more,then 22% for something you're buying that's going to last way way way longer isn't such a bad deal and not having to pay property tax means you actually own your property, which is a really big deal.

Economically this would cause people to move to Texas, and that may or may not be a good deal, but it would be a big boom in business and property values would increase without coming with a burden of having to pay the government every year.
View Quote

Nothing would change unless something is done nationally. Quality won't change without some larger national standards. At the minimum, some state level standards. No one will shift to making better products for one state.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Exempt seniors (65+) from school related property taxes.

And/or :

Fund schools with a "per student" head tax/charge direct to the parents of such. You got more kids in school - you pay more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The state lottery was supposed to fix this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
And school taxes are redistributed from high property tax districts (ie “rich”) to poorer districts across the state. So there really isn’t any incentive for the schools to manage their costs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 7gentex:
Fund schools with a "per student" head tax/charge direct to the parents of such. You got more kids in school - you pay more.
View Quote

This is a great way to lower the already too-low birth rate.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
It's a longshot, but who knows if it will gain steam.  Winners: property owners.   Losers: renters, tourists and illegal aliens

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/after-historic-tax-cuts-texas-lawmakers-evaluate-eliminating-property-taxes-entirely

After historic tax cuts, Texas lawmakers evaluate eliminating property taxes entirely
by Michael AdkisonWed, September 4th 2024 at 7:04 PM

AUSTIN, Texas   Last year, after months of negotiating, the Texas legislature approved an $18 billion package of property tax cuts. Now, the Texas Senate evaluated going even further, potentially eliminating property taxes entirely.

On Wednesday, the Texas Senate Committee on Finance took testimony on what further property tax cuts would look like, particularly by cutting school district property taxes, or property taxes entirely. Some Senators on both sides of the aisle appeared skeptical of such holistic tax eliminations, but inclined to further cuts.

The Legislative Budget Board, a state agency tasked with evaluating the fiscal impacts of state legislation, testified that school district property taxes contributed some $81.5 billion to the state's funding. Eliminating the school district property tax would, effectively, carve that from state funding.

"So, how would we pay for that?" Sen. Chuy Hinojosa, D-McAllen, said, in the committee hearing, to a few moments of silence. Sen. Joan Huffman, R-Houston, who chairs the committee, then called that the "eighty-billion-dollar question."

With already no state income tax, if Texas were to eliminate property taxes entirely, that would mean the state would receive the bulk of its funding from the sales tax. Currently, at 6.25%, the Comptroller's Office testified that the sales tax would have to increase to somewhere around 22% to make up for losses, should property taxes be entirely eliminated.

"Diversity in revenue is a policy that I think we need to acknowledge as we have these conversations," Sen. Charles Perry, R-Lubbock, said on Wednesday.

Republican leaders, including Governor Greg Abbott, have called publicly to work toward eliminating the school district maintenance and operation, or M&O, property tax. As part of the interim charges for the Texas Senate Finance Committee, Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick tasked the panel to determine what level of compression and increase of the homestead exemption could benefit Texans further.

Last session, property tax cuts proved to be one of the most politically divisive issues among the legislature, sowing discord between the two chambers and their leaders, Patrick and House Speaker Dade Phelan. After the regular session and two special sessions, the two chambers approved the $18 billion package, which voters approved in November.

View Quote

@Mojo_Jojo

How do you figure that renters would lose?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

Some don’t even have jumbo video screens.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Originally Posted By SturmgeschutzIII:
Originally Posted By zukguy:
How about instead of needing to make that money up, they shrink the size of the fucking government.

Even in red states the government is so bloated it's ridiculous.

But have you heard of the sad state of affairs that is Texas high school football stadiums?

Some of them are multiple years old, and don't even seat 30,000 fans.

Some don’t even have jumbo video screens.

What about muh seats of Rich Corinthian Leather?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember when lottery ticket sales profits were going to fund the schools...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By isaidme:
How much tax revenue are other states making off Marijuana? Just throwing it out there.
View Quote

Doesn't matter.  It'll never be enough!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By callgood:
simple, higher sales tax!
rat bastards here want 10%. Ten bloody percent!
4% state
1% county
5% local
View Quote

I'd be glad to pay 10% sales tax if it meant I didn't have to pay any property tax including local school tax. I sent both my kids to private school from Pre-K through 12:00 and still had to pay the majority of my property tax to the local schools that are failures.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By chupacabras:
And school taxes are redistributed from high property tax districts (ie “rich”) to poorer districts across the state. So there really isn’t any incentive for the schools to manage their costs.
View Quote

And there is zero accountability for how the redistributed funds are spent.

If you look at the spending per student (corrected for redistribution) and the academic performance there is no correlation.  In fact the top 50 districts for 2023 spent less per student (in 2022 which was the last year I had data when I looked) than the average district.

Probably the best path forward for the property taxes would be for the price you bought the house for to be the baseline and then the value inflated by inflation each year.

Also, I don't see how the property taxes aren't now an unconstitutional (Texas) tax on unrealized capital gains after the constitutional amendment passed this last election.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
Consumption tax.

I like it, everyone pays.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
4% state
1% county
5% local
Consumption tax.

I like it, everyone pays.

LOL, 122% behind that deal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Texas high schools need billion dollar football stadiums and soft tracks.  West Texas stadiums need lots of irrigation.

On the other hand 22% sales tax will keep Californians out.

View Quote

Homeschooling kids don’t need a stadium
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:

@Mojo_Jojo

View Quote
I'm assuming(!) that landlords wouldn't reduce rent significantly, resulting in renters paying the same amount of rent AND new sales taxes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Sales tax around where I live is around 9.6%, we have stiff property taxes, and the government still comes up with all manner of various fees, and ways to soak as much money out of citizens as they can.  Special fees for mass transit and higher fees for car tags around Seattle and tolls for bridges and some lane use on the freeways...it seems like every time I turn around they are trying to wring more money out of me.  When I lived in Oregon, there was no sales tax, but they did have income tax and property tax.  Oregon didn't feel as money hungry as Washington state.

Money is to a politician as heroin is to a junky...they always want more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:43:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nightstalker] [#16]
Originally Posted By TheDogSaysBark:
I don't buy the 22% figure. Does that account for all the illegals coming through and buying things? suddenly they're paying! Does it account for the hundreds of millions of dollars of property tax enforcement across the state that would be saved? I paid my property off years ago, but still have never owned it. that needs to stop now. And yes, it is a wealth tax based on the value of my property as assigned by a backwards asshat.
View Quote
UK VAT is 20% on some things
https://www.thevatcalculator.co.uk

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Landlords think this would be a good deal but it would actually collapse rents.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TheKill:
If I was king for a day, it would be eliminating property taxes but only for childless taxpayers and retirees.

Put the burden for paying for schools, buses, and etc. on the people who create that burden - parents.  Watch them start caring about what their kids' school spends.
View Quote

You'll also see a decrease in child births, which means two things:

1) More immigration, from poorer countries.

2) An aging population, which means less taxes for social services and businesses expanding or moving to countries with a lower population.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Also this would be crushing to property values in many places as well as tax bases. In suburban places where there isn’t much economic activity but good schools, the schools will go bankrupt, so will the city, while the poors who live near the malls and big box stores will have endless tax dollars.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#20]
They need to, I’m staying optimistic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#21]

But have you heard of the sad state of affairs that is Texas high school football stadiums?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zukguy:
How about instead of needing to make that money up, they shrink the size of the fucking government.

Even in red states the government is so bloated it's ridiculous.

The school down the street only seats 19,400
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TruckinAR:
gee, how about billing property owners for services.

LEO and fire.

Schools can charge tuition

Rocket surgery
View Quote

My city charges for the boo boo bus.  I think it was around $800 when my mother-in-law had to go to the emergency room for low glucose levels. After insurance, it was $275.  

To be fair, that does get you a $300,000 ambulance, an $850,000 fire truck and six guys averaging $100,000/yr.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HourOfAngle:

Astroturf doesn't.

In a number of places high property taxes is what keeps the ghetto rats from invading.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HourOfAngle:
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Texas high schools need billion dollar football stadiums and soft tracks.  West Texas stadiums need lots of irrigation.

On the other hand 22% sales tax will keep Californians out.

Astroturf doesn't.

In a number of places high property taxes is what keeps the ghetto rats from invading.

It's cute that you believe that.  The landlord pays property taxes and section 8 pays the rent. Ghetto Goblins don't care If property taxes were 90%. They're not paying them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
Sales tax is high enough already in this state and it's 8.25% not 6.25. Just regulate property taxes by capping it and property values so counties can't constantly jack up property values every year with no justifications. Fuck taxes.
View Quote

Base state sales tax is 6.25%. Some cities/counties add 1%, and another 1% for mass transit
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#25]
They should charge sales tax on rent, too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DieselEngineer:
They should charge sales tax on rent, too.
View Quote

And mortgages.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#27]
We should get rid of it. The "loophole" left in place is already being abused by Harris Co.

Fuck that.

Eliminate it entirely. And time for school vouchers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ElCazadorBlanco:
That would be final blow to the auto industry in Texas. We're already paying 6.25% on new and used vehicles (minus allowances for trade ins). Imagine if that were 20%. $70k pickup jumps to $84K.
View Quote

Lol no it won't.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TruckinAR:
gee, how about billing property owners for services.

LEO and fire.

Schools can charge tuition

Rocket surgery
View Quote

School unions, blue haired teachers, and sports ball simps won't let that happen.

Gotta relive the good ol says somehow.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#30]
get rid of it.  
Figure out another way to gain the revenue.
Or figure out how to live without it.
Property taxes are a crime against humanity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Curdmugeon45:

Lol no it won't.
View Quote

22% sale taxes on automobiles would indeed be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:33:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Socio] [#32]
Currently, at 6.25%, the Comptroller's Office testified that the sales tax would have to increase to somewhere around 22% to make up for losses, should property taxes be entirely eliminated.
View Quote

22% my backside,  I would say raise it to no more than 10% and tell the comptrollers office this is all you get, it is your budget, start cutting waste, cut it right to the bone if you have too. Hell, remove property taxes and that is a large percentage of what they do that they no longer need to do, that alone should cut their need in at least half.

These departments live high on the hog, spend what they want, hire 10 people to do the job of 1 person etc...then raise taxes to augment the spending, way past time to cut them off.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Just tax the cartel problem solved
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Simple solution, Spend last money.

The schools are spending money like it grows on trees and so are most local Governments.  Here in Chattanooga they decided to go and take 4 lane roads cut them down to 2 with a turning lane and have a bicycle laying down each side.  It costs The taxpayer lots of money and and slowed traffic down to a standstill.

Then they want to raise taxes to pay for it all...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Socio:

22% my backside,  I would say raise it to no more than 10% and tell the comptrollers office this is all you get, it is your budget, start cutting waste, cut it right to the bone if you have too. Hell, remove property taxes and that is a large percentage of what they do that they no longer need to do, that alone should cut their need in at least half.

These departments live high on the hog, spend what they want, hire 10 people to do the job of 1 person etc...then raise taxes to augment the spending, way past time to cut them off.
View Quote

You’re going to transfer budgeting from the legislature to the comptroller?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By THEBOZ:
Property taxes wouldn't be that big of a deal if I wasn't sending so much money to Washington DC
View Quote
It is my property, i should not have to pay rent on it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HRJ:
I'd rather a higher sales tax than a property tax. The less I consume the less I pay. With property tax I pay regardless, and they're always trying to overvalue.

I think the math that ended up at 22% needs to be checked tho
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By amos1909:
View Quote

Then the local streets need to be tolled and you should be paying a monthly subscription for emergency services.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

And mortgages.
View Quote

That would defeat the purpose of cutting property taxes likely costing home owners more a year than the property tax.

Needs to be limited to one time sales tax on goods so everyone pays into the system.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I’d be happy if FL would ditch or reduce the education portion of my property taxes, it’s fucking 51% of the bill!

4% state
1% county
5% local
View Quote

I used to go to Foley to buy clothes, because I’m a cheap fuck, then the 10% sales tax started (or I noticed it), so I quit going to Foley.

I thought it was a Foley thing, because of the outlet, then I went to Costco in Mobile. Fuck me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Then the local streets need to be tolled and you should be paying a monthly subscription for emergency services.
View All Quotes

Everyone should not just home owners.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#42]

That would defeat the purpose of cutting property taxes likely costing home owners more a year than the property tax.

Needs to be limited to one time sales tax on goods so everyone pays into the system.

View Quote

Why do you want to collect 22% on what the dollar store sells but let the banksters acquire hundreds of thousands per transaction with no sales tax? Do you work in banking?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Homeowners pay less in property tax than multifamily owners do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#44]

You’re going to transfer budgeting from the legislature to the comptroller?
View Quote

No, they want 22% tax rate I would tell them it is going to be an additional 3.75% better figure it out how to make it work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Of COURSE this will happen. I just moved out of Texas after 59 years because of the ridiculous amount of property tax on just my 3 acres. I'm in another southern state now with income tax; but
my income is certain to go down soon when the wife lets me retire.

After taking a beating on selling our place in the middle of COVID and spending twice as much as we budgeted to build on a mountain, Texas will spite me and make it cheaper to live back there in the home we really loved.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Of COURSE this will happen. I just moved out of Texas after 59 years because of the ridiculous amount of property tax on just my 3 acres. I'm in another southern state now with income tax; but
my income is certain to go down soon when the wife lets me retire.

After taking a beating on selling our place in the middle of COVID and spending twice as much as we budgeted to build on a mountain, Texas will spite me and make it cheaper to live back there in the home we really loved.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm assuming(!) that landlords wouldn't reduce rent significantly, resulting in renters paying the same amount of rent AND new sales taxes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:

@Mojo_Jojo

That would probably happen at first, but competition and the renters' decreased buying power would have to eventually sort it
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#48]

I did the same last year. when they raised the property taxes I explained to the tenants and raised the rent. when they lowered the property taxes with the buy down, i explained to the tenant and lowered the rent.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By imagetcha:
Renters could benefit.  I'm a nice landlord.  If I have $10,000 less in property taxes per year, I'd pass some of that savings on to my tenants.

I did the same last year. when they raised the property taxes I explained to the tenants and raised the rent. when they lowered the property taxes with the buy down, i explained to the tenant and lowered the rent.

I did that too.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:
I'll take "Things Highly Unlikely to Happen in Texas" for $500 Alex...

Until the State of Texas develops serious plan to find a sustainable replacement for that revenue stream, as in perhaps either a  huge hike to State Sales Taxes & Fees and / or a Texas State Income Taxes, neither of which are likely to be approved by a majority of voters.  

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

The money that owners would have been spent on their property taxes would be spent elsewhere in the community.
It will still be taxed all the way through the system. Who knows? State total revenues could be up if every household had another grand or two every month to "stimulate" the local economy.
School districts will just have to figure it out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By chupacabras:
The state lottery was supposed to fix this.
View Quote

LOL!

Same here, throwing money at schools doesn't seem to help......at least not in these parts!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top