Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, I didn't refill my 2 propane tanks I used last time. Tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Great.  I'm covering for the district manager that oversees LA/MS/AL/TN for the next 2 weeks so I'll get to deal with it no matter which way it goes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mcantu:
I got a text from them earlier saying that they are preparing and if you need electricity for life-sustaining equipment, make arraignments for alternative on-site backup
View Quote

Not sure about the googly eyes. That statement seems like something pretty reasonable.  

I have generators because I don't want food to spoil.

If I had equipment that was responsible for keeping me, or anyone else, alive; I would not have to wait for something like this to think about it.

It is sad the electric company has to even send something out like that for people to think about a backup. People R dum.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

The track takes it to the East of Galveston, so you may luck out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By skid2041:
Cool! I'll be in Galveston all week. 1st vacation in 4 yrs. Hahahaha figures.

That would be nice. We will West of Galveston at Jamaica Beach. Guess we will see. Not to worried.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By terryj:
View Quote

You're already late.  Many local stores have already run out and won't get refilled before Wednesday.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:48:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#7]
Nah, Galveston will be on the clean side. Watch guys like Reed Timmer, not the mainstream meteorologist.
It’s going to intensify and hit Lake Charles head on. No doubt.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Metonymy:

You're already late.  Many local stores have already run out and won't get refilled before Wednesday.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Metonymy:
Originally Posted By terryj:

I still have 4 30lb cylinders ready to go. I should've already refilled these but I forgot about them. I'll check to see if the local fill station has any.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh for fuck's sake. In my hood we were one of the few that didn't have a tree or three fall on the house. Lucky. But of all the unlucky ones none of them have started to rebuild. None. The insurance companies aren't paying out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Hoping for some good rain here in central AR.

Looking forward to my in laws in Houston deciding last minute that they need to prepare. After 45 years of living in Houston they’re still always “not quite ready”
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I gotta get my generator to home switch wired tomorrow.  We did mostly ok during beryl but i dont want to run a shit ton of cords everywhere again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Time for another Geissele sponsored fund raiser featuring the GBT rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 1:52:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By poisontree:
I gotta get my generator to home switch wired tomorrow.  We did mostly ok during beryl but i dont want to run a shit ton of cords everywhere again.
View Quote

I got an interlock a couple of years ago.  One cord to the outlet from the generator.  It made everything so much better without all the cords running everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

FWIW, tropical tidbits has the Euro and GFS models agreeing it's going to ruin Lake Charles's day, not ours.  GFS has it hitting 965 in the Gulf.
View Quote

I guess a good thing they finally imploded a building in the past few days that got wacked by a hurricane in 2020....

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/capital-one-tower-lake-charles-implosion-b2609045.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 2:09:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cwm1150] [#16]
Looks like it may brush by on the way to Louisiana but seems rather uncertain , moving about 5mph now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#17]
If yall can swing it , a whole house generator  is worth every penny , IMO . Of course , anything mechanical can fail . My Kohler has paid for itself 3 times over . If it went tits up tomorrow  I would replace it with another , no question .
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#18]
My home generator was to be fixed on Wednesday, needs a new stator.

Karma has been a real bitch to me this last week, my home office flooded from a faulty plumbing repair and my insurance claim for roof damage from Beryl was rejected, and it sure looks like its going to keep on screwing me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Wonder if there is a place to post bets on if there will be a new CEO at CenterPoint in a month.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I hope that track changes because SW LA - Cameron, etc - is best LA. Great people, hard workers, and they've been hammered too many times recently with Rita, Ike, and then Laura almost wiped it out a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RTX:
I hope that track changes because SW LA - Cameron, etc - is best LA. Great people, hard workers, and they've been hammered too many times recently with Rita, Ike, and then Laura almost wiped it out a few years ago.
View Quote
The storm is going to come up through Vermillion Bay. The only real question is how strong it's going to be.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Track is still shifting East
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Yep looks like it will mostly miss Texas except the east end of the coast.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Thank God I didn't buy that house on Trinity Bay.
Stay safe and have your chainsaws sharp.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Chukar:
Thank God I didn't buy that house on Trinity Bay.
Stay safe and have your chainsaws sharp.
View Quote

It depends where on Trinity Bay. If Beach City, you’re 22’ up on a bluff. If you’re on the Anahuac side then….yeah.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Prepare and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By HRJ:

It depends where on Trinity Bay. If Beach City, you’re 22’ up on a bluff. If you’re on the Anahuac side then….yeah.
View Quote

Anahuac side, SE corner
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#28]
This Hurricane Will Cause BIG Problems...
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#29]

That was the only house on Bolivar built to a category 5 level. It sustained damage as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Gonna be a nothingburger here in Houston.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Unfortunately for Louisiana it appears the storm will strengthen.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I saw this storm forecast on the GFS long range last week but the NWS didn't even recognize it a a viable system until it was already blowing up. There were 3 potential storms in the Atlantic, one of which has fizzled out, but nothing in the GOM at that time yet here we are.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By NotAFudd:
The amount and speed we are still removing standing dead shit around power lines all over the area and roads, I hope we stay on the clean side of this one.  Got the tap to run the crews 24 hours a day about 2 pm
View Quote

What power company, cnp?

Good luck. When I was there I would turn in the same easements to be trimmed on a regular basis. It never got done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By psychotr:

Hurricanes knock power out no matter where they hit.  Get used to it or move 100 miles inland.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By psychotr:
Originally Posted By mcantu:
I got a text from them earlier saying that they are preparing and if you need electricity for life-sustaining equipment, make arraignments for alternative on-site backup

Hurricanes knock power out no matter where they hit.  Get used to it or move 100 miles inland.

Used to Crack me up the demands from customers on life support,  oxygen , whatever.
Hey when's my power coming back on , we have someone on oxygen.  

I don't know probably a couple days.

How can you be in NEED of electricity and haven't made plans for a backup?
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:01:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: callgood] [#35]
more..............

A disturbance in the southwest Gulf is likely to soon become a tropical storm.
It's forecast to strengthen into a hurricane as it tracks toward the upper Texas and Louisiana coasts.

Hurricane, tropical storm and storm surge watches will likely be issued later today along the western Gulf Coast.

Flooding rainfall, storm surge, damaging winds and tornadoes are all threats.

A​ disturbance in the southwest Gulf of Mexico is expected to organize into a tropical storm Monday and then pose a potential hurricane threat to the far upper Texas and Louisiana coasts by midweek.

The next named storm on the list in the Atlantic Basin is Francine.

H​ere's the latest status of this system: The disturbance is located about 535 miles south of Cameron, Louisiana, and is moving north-northwest. It's currently designated as Potential Tropical Cyclone Six, which allows the National Hurricane Center to issue tropical storm and/or hurricane watches or warnings for a system that has not yet developed, but is expected to impact land areas within 48 hours.

M​ost of the rain from this system is located offshore at this time, but some bands are spreading toward South Texas.

that map doesn't mean we'll get rain in NE Alabama. Sure hope it jogs east. We sure could use the rain.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Now tropical storm Francine

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#37]

That would be nice. We will West of Galveston at Jamaica Beach. Guess we will see. Not to worried.
View All Quotes
Cool! I'll be in Galveston all week. 1st vacation in 4 yrs. Hahahaha figures.

I would imagine it's going to be windy and rainy for you.  Sorry.  I've no idea about the surge it'll cause.  

It should pass you from south to north.  Unless it zags west, ofc.  Consider how you're going to get off of Galvatraz if it does.  San Luis Pass bridge will get busy...
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Ike may not have had a lot of wind by the time it finally hit Galveston and Houston, but damn did it have a lot of surge.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Nah, Galveston will be on the clean side. Watch guys like Reed Timmer, not the mainstream meteorologist.
It’s going to intensify and hit Lake Charles head on. No doubt.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/311137/IMG_9101_jpeg-3317171.JPG
View Quote

Model tracks are shifting it to the East.

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Morning update on Tropical Storm Francine from the NHC in Miami, FL (September 9 , 2024)
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By UTex86:

Meh, the after storm response was what it should be.

Where they failed big time is in their shameful lack of maintenance. There are trees tangled up in power lines everywhere.

I travel all around Houston daily for work. It’s truly everywhere.

This perception is the result of me seeing it with my own eyes every day.
View Quote

This I agree with.  I have no idea why people and HOAs plant trees under the power lines along the street.  Best case, the trees are trimmed properly and look like shit as a result.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 545days:

This I agree with.  I have no idea why people and HOAs plant trees under the power lines along the street.  Best case, the trees are trimmed properly and look like shit as a result.
View Quote

When I was a utility contractor I'd always get amused at people that would plant Bradford stinking Pears under their power line then get snortin' mad when the utility didn't restore their power first during a storm.

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Current maps look like the storm will track the footprint of the Mississippi River.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#45]
We have been very fortunate for the most part, this year with hurricanes. I do feel for those affected by them and hope/pray for the best.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#46]

10AM CDT Surge forecast

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Harvey?
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Good luck to everyone.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#49]
The current track takes it right over my house.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Thugbuster:
The current track takes it right over my house.
View Quote

Ouch, good luck.

Looks like Texas will be missed for the most part at this point.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top