User Panel

What did Sitka do? (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RePp:
Hell the guide discount they hand out like candy is 40% off.
View Quote

Tell me more
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:33:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#2]
Originally Posted By TradWoodsman:

I see just the opposite. I use Kuiu, Sitka, and Asbell Wool to hunt in. That is the only place I wear it. Hunting.

My small circle of serious hunters are the same way. Wearing Sitka out on the town would be ridiculous.

I USE those premium brands because they fill a niche' that matters to me. I spent a lifetime hunting in crappy Walmart clothes or Army surplus cotton junk.

Between October and January, I hunt about 40 days. I appreciate quality gear.
View Quote

We are definitely of the same mindset with regards to quality gear and time in the field. That just isn't what I see in this area which is mostly comprised of stand hunting whitetails which doesn't require high buck gear, but it sure is nice.

Like you, I'm in the field 40-60 days a year. Conditions from 70 degrees to 25 below for deer, yotes and pheasants. We certainly aren't the typical hunters though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Blaster7R:

how close to the new atlanta store are you?  

would not suprise me if they where pulling retailers that where within a certain distance of there new stores..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
A local retailer has Sitka on sale too, 25% off. Odd time of year for them to have anything hunting related on sale.

would not suprise me if they where pulling retailers that where within a certain distance of there new stores..

I don’t know where in Atlanta the new store is, the local place I mentioned is about 50 miles west of downtown.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

We are definitely of the same mindset with regards to quality gear and time in the field. That just isn't what I see in this area which is mostly comprised of stand hunting whitetails which doesn't require high buck gear, but it sure is nice.

Like you, I'm in the field 40-60 days a year. Conditions from 70 degrees to 25 below for deer, yotes and pheasants. We certainly aren't the typical hunters though.
View All Quotes

I see just the opposite. I use Kuiu, Sitka, and Asbell Wool to hunt in. That is the only place I wear it. Hunting.

My small circle of serious hunters are the same way. Wearing Sitka out on the town would be ridiculous.

I USE those premium brands because they fill a niche' that matters to me. I spent a lifetime hunting in crappy Walmart clothes or Army surplus cotton junk.

Along those lines.....I was in bear camp 2 weeks ago, and a guy tried poking at me because I has Sitka, Kuiu, and regular clothes all mixed together....Kuiu pants, Sitka shirt, etc. I wear whatever fits the moment. For what it's worth, I like Kuiu pants better than Sitka. I also like Kuiu camo patterns better.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I noticed that both of the local Bass pro shops have significantly downsized their Sitka displays. They almost look as if they aren't restocking Sitka anymore.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]

My fashionably un-camo Kuiu
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Most of my nicer gear is Kuiu but like you I only wear it for hunting off grid.  I often hunt out of a tent and good gear really does make a difference.  Layering with various Kuiu or similar gear just works when you aren't is a position to stop by camp or go back to the house to warm up for lunch.  I am not a fan of hiking several miles in heavy wool gear because it was 20 degrees this morning, but 60 in the afternoon.

Heck, if I decide to take my rifle for a walk on my back 40 after work for an hour before dark I usually put on my old or cheap Walmart gear.  In reality any gear will work if you are never far from your vehicle/ camp/ house.  Any gear will work even if you are well of grid, but the nicer stuff is just better.  As a teenager I hunted for a long time with hand me down wool pants/ coat, rubber boots, and white cotton socks/ waffle long underwear.  If I were to use that stuff the way I hunt now crawling into a small tent after a wet cold day would really suck.  

If one is not in a hurry to buy specific nice gear from a specific brand all you have to do is wait for a sale to pop up and you can easily save a lot of vs their regular pricing.  Sign up for the emails, have an idea of what you're looking for, and when something you want pops up grab it instead of waiting until you need it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

I have dead bird gear I wear when I’m running around town, hiking, shooting etc basically anytime I’m not hunting. Now that hunting companies are offering earth colors that I can wear out hunting double dip as normal gear doing the above things. Fuck ya I’ll use them outside of hunting.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

No shit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hobs98:
Originally Posted By Moxy:
I had to look out of curiosity and will now return to my people, the Poors.

No shit.

Does kinda make you wonder how we hunted for years in blue jeans, brown duck jacket, red checkered cap, etc, etc.

Always seemed to bag what we were after, although maybe not trophy level.

Same with my grandparents.

Imagine what they could have done with all that fancy gear / tech.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:

Does kinda make you wonder how we hunted for years in blue jeans, brown duck jacket, red checkered cap, etc, etc.

View Quote

I hunted in jeans etc growing up. It sucked and was sketchy af compared to using the gear we have now. If I was sitting in a blind, tree stand all day ya I could do it in coveralls etc and don’t need anything fancy. Out west in the mountains for over a week at a time it makes a world of difference.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#11]

View Quote

When I started duck hunting, I just wore layer and layers of mismatched stuff. When the wind cut through those layers, I just toughed it out. I'm too old and have the money now to not be miserable on those cold and windy days.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Peak outdoor duck hunting gear was the late 90s Browning Goose Down w Gore Tex exterior.  That wader jacket was a 4 in 1 and was awesome.  I would buy it new today if anyone sold one as good.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Along those lines.....I was in bear camp 2 weeks ago, and a guy tried poking at me because I has Sitka, Kuiu, and regular clothes all mixed together....Kuiu pants, Sitka shirt, etc. I wear whatever fits the moment. For what it's worth, I like Kuiu pants better than Sitka. I also like Kuiu camo patterns better.

View Quote

Sounds like he is more concerned about fashion than function.

Like you, I couldn't care less about matching, let the conditions dictate the gear. Very few things I wear are in the same pattern and I don't perceive any disadvantage there. I also can't do any regulated species hunting without orange on which also dictates some choices.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]
If it’s true direct to consumer would be the way to go free up cash in shelf space.  As for their own stores idk if I would do that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FedDC:
Peak outdoor duck hunting gear was the late 90s Browning Goose Down w Gore Tex exterior.  That wader jacket was a 4 in 1 and was awesome.  I would buy it new today if anyone sold one as good.  

View Quote

The Duck Oven is my favorite waterfowl hunting jacket. Very warm and comfortable. Well made and durable. I've worn it in the teens with 40 mph gusts and just sat there comfortably.

The only piece of gear I need to figure out is something for my feet. Even with heavy duty wool buffalo socks and 600g wader boot, I start to feel the chill after several hours. I may have to try out those heated soles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Like you, I couldn't care less about matching, let the conditions dictate the gear. Very few things I wear are in the same pattern and I don't perceive any disadvantage there. I also can't do any regulated species hunting without orange on which also dictates some choices.
View All Quotes

I mix and match as well.  None of my gear is consistent other than I have a few more items in the kuiu verde than anything else.  I could care less and use which bit of gear is going to work best for me given the conditions.  I have several different brands and patterns or solid colors probably because I have only shopped closeouts and sales for the past decade.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Seph:
If you see anything referencing "Stakeholders" know it's a Woke DEI commie bullshit
View Quote

this man is correct

preach it

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I did all that and it fucking sucked hunting elk on public land where your ass might be 10 miles from camp on foot at noon.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Toker_:

The Duck Oven is my favorite waterfowl hunting jacket. Very warm and comfortable. Well made and durable. I've worn it in the teens with 40 mph gusts and just sat there comfortably.

The only piece of gear I need to figure out is something for my feet. Even with heavy duty wool buffalo socks and 600g wader boot, I start to feel the chill after several hours. I may have to try out those heated soles.
View All Quotes

Try thinner socks. Merino wool. Give your feet some space
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 1:34:24 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Dude we killed all the dumb blind animals alredy..    it is natural selection in action 😆
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 9:02:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#21]

View All Quotes

This and also try a different boot.  Shank material/ construction can really have an affect how warm your feet stay.  Do you know if they have a metal shank in them?
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Announcements like this are strange.  Why not tell us exactly what the issue with Sitka is? If Eurooptic is going to bring it up, then the consumer should know what their position is on whatever the issue is....or just don't say anything.  FWIW, Eurooptic is great, and I have a ton of 10 yr old Sikta gear still going strong.  Used their warranty recently and they replaced the zipper on an 8 year old jacket totally free.  Took a long time, but still.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#23]

I don’t know where in Atlanta the new store is, the local place I mentioned is about 50 miles west of downtown.
View All Quotes
A local retailer has Sitka on sale too, 25% off. Odd time of year for them to have anything hunting related on sale.

The new Sitka store is located in The Battery Atlanta,  https://www.batteryatl.com

I imagine that is a spendy place to open a retail store.

Link Posted: 9/13/2024 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#24]
A low dollar cart with the Eurooptic liquidation was within a stones throw of Sitka pricing on their site...perhaps they're undercuting their own dealers, charging them too much wholesale?
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I still hunt in 80's era BDU's.   My wife keeps buying me new fancy/ trendy shit to hunt in, and I just don't see the need.

Link Posted: 9/13/2024 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
What did Sitka do? (Page 4 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top