Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cajun_Redneck:
Gumbo thread
https://i.imgur.com/v9nHjAP.jpeg
View Quote

Hell yeah. Damn good looking gumbo with a side of tater salad!
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 11:34:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManMan] [#2]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
Wife is from south of 10 and this is how we do it with chicken/sausage.  for us, three keys are to ROAST the chicken for added depth of flavor keeping the drippings for use; Use Savoie if you can get it, we're in NC and our Publix carries it; Add smothered okra.  That's an extra step but worth it if your planning ahead.  we make big batches of it to have on hand for gumbo.

Ingredients
Whole chicken, 5lb
1 package Savoie andouille cut into 1/2" rounds
1 larger onion chopped
1 large bell pepper chopped
~3 stalks celery chopped
Bunch green onions, whites separated and chopped.  Reserve green ends for garnish.
Optional: 1 large cup of smothered okra (okra low and slow sauteed with rotel for 2-3 hours until mushy)
1 stick butter
Flour, same weight as butter in grams (~1 cup)
1 tablespoon Tony's seasoning
~3 cups Chicken stock

Directions
Roast chicken (better than boiling)
  - scraping bottom of pan and reserving drippings, this is critical!
  - Pull meat when cooled
Make Roux
  - Melt butter in big pot, add flour
  - Stir constantly over low/med heat until chocolate milk color.  Should smell nutty.  Takes 45-60 minutes on my stove.
Stir in chopped veggies and Tony's, cook for 3 minutes or until veggies ore softened, stirring frequently
Add sausage, cook 5 minutes stirring frequently.
Stir in okra (optional)
Add ~6 cups chicken stock (be sure to use as much from roasted chicken as possible, supplement with other as needed)
Simmer lid cracked ~4 hours until thickened.
Add chicken 15 minutes before serving.
Serve over rice with remaining chopped green onions
View Quote

My only disagreement is on your Okra,  Id put it in at the end with the chicken.  Otherwise IMO it gets slimy and mushy... which is why I use plain and not smothered also
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 11:52:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gatorshooter2] [#3]
If I’m in a hurry I will use jar roux/ and rotisserie chicken. If I have plenty of time I make my own and use raw chicken. Just don’t skimp on vegetables ( no frozen ) and get quality low fat sausage (my deer sausage is what I use 70% pork butt). Still takes a few hours.  The trick is to roll boil the water roux seasoning mix the entire time I’m cutting up veggies then I brown sausage in cast iron skillet then put it in pot. Use same skillet to sauté the onion celery bell pepper mix when the white onion and  yellow videlia onions start to turn clear then add all that to pot. Add the rotisserie chicken or brown raw chicken in the sausage grease, put the cooked chicken in last after deboning and removing all the skin and fat.  Greasy gumbo sucks!
Best way is to put gumbo pot in an ice bath 2xs to cool in sink. Stir gumbo until ice melts. Drain melted ice water fill sink second time with ice water and don’t stir gumbo, let the fat rise to top and skim this off. Put in covered pot in refrigerator. Overnight the next day skim again and reheat and serve. Enjoy!

Obtw. if you like okra,  add a teaspoon of white vinegar it will cut the slime from the okra.
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 12:31:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NY12ga] [#4]
Originally Posted By fingas:
Da Fuq is wrong wit you?   Darker is better, give the gumbo that nutty flavor
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fingas:
Originally Posted By Gdirty5:
And honestly I'm always let down when I try other people's that either have too dark of a roux
Da Fuq is wrong wit you?   Darker is better, give the gumbo that nutty flavor

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Before adding the broth and shrimp:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
dam you fuckers now I gotta have gumbo today.  It begins, chicken is already cooking.

Link Posted: 10/6/2024 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ManMan:

My only disagreement is on your Okra,  Id put it in at the end with the chicken.  Otherwise IMO it gets slimy and mushy... which is why I use plain and not smothered also
View Quote

I get that.  Ours is smothered down so much that weird sliminess is gone but completely agree fresh okra should be added at the end to have a bit of tooth without the slime. The smothered is what my wife grew up wirth so that's how we do.
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ChicagoFoodie:

And I thought that File’ powder was overrated anyway, but the history was kind of cool.

You can skip it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

And I thought that File’ powder was overrated anyway, but the history was kind of cool.

You can skip it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2024 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
Attachment Attached File

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2024 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Fresh, high quality ingredients, make your own roux, and your own stock.
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]

I mean I did use it, but didn’t really taste it at all. Look at the note on the bottom of the page, just for thickening.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#11]

I mean I did use it, but didn’t really taste it at all. Look at the note on the bottom of the page, just for thickening.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124501/IMG_4418_jpeg-3342155.JPG
View Quote

Look closer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Fried okra to garnish.
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 3:00:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#13]
Originally Posted By DrFrige:
Born in NY... moved to CA... I know SHIT about making gumbo. Wanna talk about Pizza? I'm your guy... Wanna talk about Mexican food... again, I'm your guy.

Gumbo? I LOVE it... I want to make it... I must talk to our southern friends here. You are in the know. I have basic recipes but I am sure you guys have great tips in making top notch gumbo.

I have seen it with shrimp and without, so, yes or no?

WHATCHA GOT?  
View Quote

It really isn't hard to make. I just made a great Jambalaya yesterday. The Holy Trinity is a must. You can use Chicken, Shrimp, and/or Andouille sausage. Make it brown or red, you can't go wrong. Use a dark roux. Gumbo means Oakra and originated in Africa so use it to make it right.

Creole cuisine uses tomatoes and proper Cajun food does not. That’s how you tell a Creole gumbo vs. Cajun gumbo or jambalaya.
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 3:22:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#14]
View Quote

LOL nah man, vacuum sealed for the win.  Freezer stuff stays good forever.  Zero freezer burn in there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]
It's not the preparation of the okra that offends me. It's the inclusion.
Link Posted: 10/6/2024 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
It's not the preparation of the okra that offends me. It's the inclusion.
View Quote

ok ok now I get you.  We like it, but I admire your passion!

Dinner was well received at my place despite our impass.

Link Posted: 10/7/2024 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:
I don’t get this low and slow for a roux.  Fast and hot.  Takes maybe 10 minutes max to get a dark red brown.  You want it smoking it’s so hot.  The key is to whisk constantly.  If it starts to get away from you, slide it off the burner for 15-20 seconds, but keep whisking.  When it’s done, put the trinity in it to stop it from getting much darker.  Cook the trinity for eight minutes.  It’s so easy and doesn’t take any time at all.  Never burnt a spec.

This is maybe six minutes in.

https://i.postimg.cc/HsSSBdKw/IMG-0833.jpg
View Quote

I think I learned this trick in Brennans Houston cookbook, but they say if you are capable of staying on top of it Heat the oil to smoking and drop in one quarter of the flour.  Back off on the heat a little and stir like a mofo and when it approaches your doneness drop in 25% more and run it up to your doneness.  Then drop the third quarter. Then the fourth quarter and as it reaches your level of darkness drop the heat and coast to where you want to be while stirring like the proverbial mofo.  Drop the chopped veggies and right at the end of the veggies drop the garlic and after a min drop the water or stock and spices.
It has worked for me
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#18]
We make chicken gumbo several times a year but we finally decided to make a seafood gumbo this past February. We used mostly local Maine seafood like lobster, scallops and muscles other than the not so local gulf shrimp. We also used a local and excellent andouille sausage. I got fresh picked that day lobster meet, along with super fresh other seafood ingredients.
I also decided to half smoke the scallops and shrimp before searing them to temp in the andouille fat.

We prefer a creole style gumbo with tomato and okra but you can do whichever you like better.
Came out verry good. Better than any other gumbo I have tried so far by a lot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TEXASROOTERSBROTHER:

I think I learned this trick in Brennans Houston cookbook, but they say if you are capable of staying on top of it Heat the oil to smoking and drop in one quarter of the flour.  Back off on the heat a little and stir like a mofo and when it approaches your doneness drop in 25% more and run it up to your doneness.  Then drop the third quarter. Then the fourth quarter and as it reaches your level of darkness drop the heat and coast to where you want to be while stirring like the proverbial mofo.  Drop the chopped veggies and right at the end of the veggies drop the garlic and after a min drop the water or stock and spices.
It has worked for me
View Quote

The only difference I do versus what you added is I sprinkle the flour gradually but continuously as I whisk it in.  As for the veggies (8 minute cook), garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves,  and stock, I do it as you said.  After the stock, I then add back the browned chicken thighs and sausage, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for an hour.  Then take the chicken out, debone it, while the gumbo is uncovered and on low to thicken, then add the chicken meat back in, stir and serve.
Link Posted: 10/8/2024 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BM1455:
We make chicken gumbo several times a year but we finally decided to make a seafood gumbo this past February. We used mostly local Maine seafood like lobster, scallops and muscles other than the not so local gulf shrimp. We also used a local and excellent andouille sausage. I got fresh picked that day lobster meet, along with super fresh other seafood ingredients.
I also decided to half smoke the scallops and shrimp before searing them to temp in the andouille fat.

We prefer a creole style gumbo with tomato and okra but you can do whichever you like better.
Came out verry good. Better than any other gumbo I have tried so far by a lot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196710/seafood_gumbo_jpg-3343200.JPG
View Quote

I would absolutely demolish that.  Looks fantastic.  The prep sounds incredible.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#21]
What are good alternatives for Tony Chachere's Creole Gumbo Base? There are a few different ones available, but Amazon doesn't have the Tony C version (by that name, at least), and MN is not going to have any kind of selection locally.

m

Link Posted: 10/9/2024 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By warp_foo:
What are good alternatives for Tony Chachere's Creole Gumbo Base? There are a few different ones available, but Amazon doesn't have the Tony C version (by that name, at least), and MN is not going to have any kind of selection locally.

m

View Quote

You can order ingredients on Amazon, I did because I didn’t want to walk around NOLA carrying them from the school.

Also, this is seriously good gumbo, maybe I’m partial because I made it during the class. But it’s better than any restaurant I’ve been to.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 4:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#23]

You can order ingredients on Amazon, I did because I didn't want to walk around NOLA carrying them from the school.

Also, this is seriously good gumbo, maybe I'm partial because I made it during the class. But it's better than any restaurant I've been to.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124501/IMG_4418_jpeg-3344894.JPG
View Quote

I've always done it the opposite way, make the roux in the pot, and brown the meats in a skillet.  And adding the veggies in 2 separate portions just seems weird and unnecessary.

ETA and that's a shitload of garlic for the number of servings that will make.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

I've always done it the opposite way, make the roux in the pot, and brown the meats in a skillet.  And adding the veggies in 2 separate portions just seems weird and unnecessary.

View Quote

We thought it was fine and added a tad more towards the end!

Probably going to make some Gumbo is a week or, as we are traveling next week for work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Flamicane:

Texans always think they know gumbo better than Louisiana. Just like they think they know how to cook pork.

Cajuns don’t typically put okra in their gumbo.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
Can’t make gumbo without okra .  https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/Seafood-and-Okra-Gumbo-b.jpg

Texans always think they know gumbo better than Louisiana. Just like they think they know how to cook pork.

@Flamicane

I will tend to agree with you, for the most part.  My wife is from Bayou Lafourche and they did not typically use okra in their gumbo....when FIL made seafood gumbo, he would use okra some time.

Now move north to what some may call the real Cajun Louisiana, Simmesport/Marksville area and okra is usually used.  My grandmother made chicken, sausage and okra gumbo and it was fantastic.  

I am not real crazy about okra unless it is made well, also, I always add a lot of file' to my gumbo regardless of what type.  Not to thicken it, but for the flavor.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 7:32:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#26]

View Quote

I season, then brown the thighs for four minutes a side in the gumbo pot in a little bacon fat or duck fat.  Remove them to a plate, then brown the sausage coins in the same pot for two minutes a side, remove to a bowl.  Then make the roux and the gumbo in the same pot with the fond in it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Shit.

Now I want to make some gumbo.

Thanks, OP
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ColdSmoke:
@DrFrige

OP there is a lot of garbage on the internet when it comes to cajun/creole food and if you didn't grow up with it, it can be hard to tell what authentic and what's not. Here is a video made by the tourism board of New Iberia. The video features multiple people making different styles of gumbo but I want you to watch the first guy in the video. The guy in the video is a 10x championship gumbo cookoff winner and he covers the whole process step by step. He also gives out a ton of secrets that take your gumbo to the next level. If you follow what he does you will make a superb gumbo that it that is better than most gumbos you will find in Louisiana.

Unfortunately, they removed the original video from the internet but luckily, I have a copy which I have uploaded to YouTube for you. It is listed as unlisted which mean you will have to use the link in this comment in order to access it (they remove the video every I try and make it public). Good luck!
https://youtu.be/nDKMgXgN-IA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDKMgXgN-IA
View Quote

Can't believe that guy didn't use garlic.  Only thing I dont put garlic in is Christmas Turkey!
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 9:45:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#29]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
Can’t make gumbo without okra .  https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/Seafood-and-Okra-Gumbo-b.jpg

My in-laws in LA traditionally do, because they always grow okra in the garden.  They’re (mostly) not Cajun though… just backwoods LA people.  With them it’s mostly always chicken (because they all have chickens) and sausage (most have smokehouses).

This Texas boy is about 50/50 on okra in gumbo. I like it, but it’s not a necessity.

As for pork, I’ll take the pepsi challenge any time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#33]

I season, then brown the thighs for four minutes a side in the gumbo pot in a little bacon fat or duck fat.  Remove them to a plate, then brown the sausage coins in the same pot for two minutes a side, remove to a bowl.  Then make the roux and the gumbo in the same pot with the fond in it.
View Quote

I like the efficiency of that, but the fond always makes me worry that I've burnt the roux, so I do them separately.  Still, it's nice to incorporate of the rendered fat from the chicken and andouille into the roux.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By warp_foo:

m

View Quote

I use the zatarains and love it. Add my own trinity, and brown sausage and chicken thighs

https://www.walmart.com/ip/10293287

It’s cheap at Walmart and stupid easy to make
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#36]

I like the efficiency of that, but the fond always makes me worry that I've burnt the roux, so I do them separately.  Still, it's nice to incorporate of the rendered fat from the chicken and andouille into the roux.
View All Quotes

This, I’ve seen several recipes where they brown sausage and chicken and then make a roux in the same pot. I don’t see how that doesn’t give it a burnt flavor. Also those who use butter to make a roux cannot get it dark enough for my taste before the butter scorches.

Link Posted: 10/10/2024 11:55:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuhndog] [#37]
Personally I like chicken and sausage gumbo only. Cajuns down here do not really measure things out… they just add until the souls of their ancestors say shah.

I do a one cup gumbo: brown your sausage 1 lb and get about 1.5lb chicken, once cooked pull out and retain for later. Then add 1 cup oil, 1 to 1 1/4cup flour… you will constantly stir the flour and oil until it gets to a chocolate color key is not to burn it so keep it moving. Once you get the color you like (the color is hotly debated by area of Louisiana) you add: 1 cup of each chopped celery, bell pepper, onion (the trinity) and one thing of garlic minced (one section of a clove) this can be a key part that will burn the roux when you add it so have a 1/4cup of water handy… you will stir this until the trinity has cooked down. You then add 2 quarts of chicken or beef broth and add the chicken and sausage in. Bring to a boil and simmer for at least 25-30 minutes. Add some Worcestershire sauce as a flavor enhancer (2-3 ounces).

Serve over rice with some potatoe salad. Others will be along to say how they do it I’m sure. Or cheat and buy some oak grove gumbo season kit and follow the directions on the bag… just don’t get the one with the rice already in it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 1:57:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blueheeler426] [#38]
Originally Posted By ManMan:
View Quote

I fry the cut ends of the okra before adding near the end.
A friend of mine has a variation of seafood gumbo where he adds just enough brown sugar and fresh lemon juice about 5 minutes before ready to serve. Just enough to tell that it's in there. He got a lot of bs over it. He made two pots; one with, one without.  Both great. Funny, the pot with brown sugar was empty first.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Willz:

This, I’ve seen several recipes where they brown sausage and chicken and then make a roux in the same pot. I don’t see how that doesn’t give it a burnt flavor. Also those who use butter to make a roux cannot get it dark enough for my taste before the butter scorches.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Willz:

I’ve never had one spec of burnt in my gumbo.  I brown the meats in a couple of Tbsp of fat over medium.  The chicken and sausage both add more rendered fat.  Only the roux is cooked on high heat.  One pot meals have been a thing for a while.
Link Posted: 10/13/2024 9:11:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NY12ga] [#40]
Ok so since I ate the last of my last batch a few weeks ago this thread motivated me to make another. 10 quarts now reside in my freezer

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#41]
So there’s a cold front coming through tomorrow morning and it should be in the 50’s!!!! That’s cold for down here!!! You know what that means!

Attachment Attached File

Everyone that cooks gumbo knows, you gotta cook it and eat it the next day. Tastes better if you let them flavors melt over night. So tomorrow’s lunch is going to be a hot bowl of gumbo!

And to piss the purists off!

Attachment Attached File

Don’t care what yall think. Sear some chicken thighs, some sausage (manda’s smoked) and some veggies (the trinity and frozen okra). And let simmer on the stove.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#42]
For a Sunday gumbo I always start it Saturday afternoon.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#44]

I’ll usually render the skin from the chicken in a chicken gumbo for the fat for the roux.  In this case, I used the skin from a duck for the duck gumbo.

https://i.postimg.cc/nLGL7RRP/IMG-5725.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cypher15:
I very much prefer making my rouxs with butter and not oil.  I should try it with teh purified bacon fat I have.

I’ll usually render the skin from the chicken in a chicken gumbo for the fat for the roux.  In this case, I used the skin from a duck for the duck gumbo.

https://i.postimg.cc/nLGL7RRP/IMG-5725.jpg

Chicken fat is muy bueno.

Duck fat is even better.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Soooo good……

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
GUMBO! (Page 3 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top