User Panel

Hornadys new 338ARC (Page 5 of 5)
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: Today 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

That guy is a massive tool, and he's obviously very salty about this, but I wonder if he's right about the magazine and feeding concerns with this cartridge. If he is, that's a deal killer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Why 338ARC Sucks, lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67xbJvOuQiU

That guy is a massive tool, and he's obviously very salty about this, but I wonder if he's right about the magazine and feeding concerns with this cartridge. If he is, that's a deal killer.

He’s definitely right about the magazines. I’ve been a Grendel shooter for a long time and the mags are the week point of the system.
Link Posted: Today 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not saying he's wrong about anything he said. I did check and Geissele charges $125 for a 30rd 6ARC mag.

But it's clear that 338ARC has struck a nerve with him. Take into context that the "YQ" videos are marketing videos, I'd say he has a concern about this eating into sales of the new Boom Box.
Link Posted: Today 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not saying he's wrong about anything he said. I did check and Geissele charges $125 for a 30rd 6ARC mag.

But it's clear that 338ARC has struck a nerve with him. Take into context that the "YQ" videos are marketing videos, I'd say he has a concern about this eating into sales of the new Boom Box.
View Quote

I doubt that there is much crossover in sales. I don't think he cares about the caliber as much as he is annoyed Hornady didn't continue to back the 8.6 Blackout.
Link Posted: Today 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
I wonder how much Hornady had to pay Q to make that video.  Genius marketing tactic, really.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Why 338ARC Sucks, lol
I wonder how much Hornady had to pay Q to make that video.  Genius marketing tactic, really.

When I saw that video my immediate thought was that a bunch of dudes here were going to buy a 338 Arc just because he hates it
Link Posted: Today 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

I'll say it: Anyone shooting subsonic anything at 300 yards on a big game animal is retarded.

That goes for 200 yards, too.

Even 100 is sketchy. I mean yeah with 45-70 ballistics it's feasible but really past around 125 it gets really, really hard to know the exact range and trajectory as the critters are moving, as critters do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

Quiet hunting under 300 yards on stuff too big to chance 300 blk not being enough?

I'll say it: Anyone shooting subsonic anything at 300 yards on a big game animal is retarded.

Even 100 is sketchy. I mean yeah with 45-70 ballistics it's feasible but really past around 125 it gets really, really hard to know the exact range and trajectory as the critters are moving, as critters do.

Billy Dixon would disagree
Link Posted: Today 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Why 338ARC Sucks, lol
View All Quotes
Why 338ARC Sucks, lol

Well that was very.....unfiltered!

After doing a little digging, I came across this link:
https://soldiersystems.net/2024/10/17/pws-announces-support-for-the-hornady-338-arc-rifle-cartridge/
PWS is going to make a piston 16" and 12" (11.85").

There is some serious curve to that particular mag.  Not sure if the G-money mags would be better.

I also found a Silencer Shop article discussing the caliber.
https://www.silencershop.com/blog/338-arc
There were a couple of quotes in there that track with earlier thoughts:

Hornady engineers said that subsonic hunting was at the forefront of 338 ARC development and have reportedly done a lot of testing on hunts with the cartridge. They state that the effective range of 338 ARC subsonic is about 200 yards on deer, hog, or similar animals.

The 338 ARC features subsonic and supersonic loads for maximum versatility, but the Hornady engineers tailored the round towards the subsonic performance. The 338 ARC uses a small case capacity to make subsonic ammo more consistent and they developed a special SUB-X bullet specifically for the round.

This looks to be the a subsonic 200 yard hunting caliber that happens to shoot supers.  The inverse of 350 Legend.

With that in mind, I don't think 16" barrels make a lot of sense.  If you already have a suppressor, I don't think you are concerned about rifle/SBR laws.  And with braces back on the menu, shorter barrels would be the way to go if not SBR'd.  It isn't like you lose a lot of velocity with subs, and a shorter barrel would allow for a suppressor without becoming a musket.   But until someone comes up with some high performing bullets specifically for this caliber, you may have to write off the supersonic side as just expensive FMJ's for now, especially if using a shorter barrels.

Link Posted: Today 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I really find it hard to fathom there isnt more offerings in such a tiny niche application.

The next progression is going to a a 50bmg neutered and necked up to .75. We'll be doing cqb with sbr m82's.

Then all of a sudden we're gonna have subsonic Whitworth cannons.

I literally can't wait. So excited for the next evolution.
Link Posted: Today 11:21:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#8]
Originally Posted By panthermark:

There is some serious curve to that particular mag.  

View Quote

Curved mags are the Monkeypox of AR-15's

They need to design a mag around the ammunition and alter the magwell geometry like the Six8 or stop inventing ammunition for guns that don't exist.

Link Posted: Today 11:28:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elmidgeto] [#9]
Originally Posted By chargerkid5:
I really find it hard to fathom there isnt more offerings in such a tiny niche application.

The next progression is going to a a 50bmg neutered and necked up to .75. We'll be doing cqb with sbr m82's.

Then all of a sudden we're gonna have subsonic Whitworth cannons.

I literally can't wait. So excited for the next evolution.
View Quote

How about a 20mm Vulcan shortened and necked up to .950?

Leaf through a copy of cartridges of the world or accrel sometime. If it can be done with a self-contained metallic cartridge, it's probably been done in some shape or other. Hell, about twenty years ago a group of guys on accrel came up with a series of cartridges based on a not then existent .390" caliber. Just for something new.
Link Posted: Today 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Need one of these with a holosun thermial on it.
Link Posted: Today 11:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xxlitupxx56] [#11]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

7 and 8 twists have been working with 220/240gr bullets in 8” barrels for decades.

Once you get down to 5.5” maybe you need more twist. Never gone below 8, no handguard left to hold onto.
View Quote

Wrong, stabilization with 220s is erratic even out of a 9” with 1/7 or 1/8 twist. Does ok after about 10”
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
My concern will be getting supers to expand.  This is the problem that 338 federal ran into, most 338 projectiles are meant for high velocities
View Quote

I really loved that round, and wish it had better support.

It’s now effectively dead, and it makes me a little sad.

Also, seems like lack of velocity is why most sub 300 BO rounds suck, minus the boutique stuff.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Aside from that not being my experience, and the bullets having a stability factor of 1.6, and the original SSK twist and the SAAMI twists being 1/8 and working with 220s for decades, tell me more?
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By xxlitupxx56:
So is the 307gr  Sub going to stabilize out of a 7” with only a 1/8 twist or were they doing all their testing with 16” barrels?

Im not seeing the point if it doesn't and I doubt it will(cool though if it does). That was  the whole reason for 1/5 twist in 300blk shooting 220gr
View Quote

Barrel length makes zero difference, twist is twist.  The only time it will be an issue is if the bullet is stripping in the rifling, and at that point you have other issues to contend with other than barrel length.  1:7 in 300 BLK will stabilize any bullet on the market you can fit in it and make it chamber.  1:5 isn't necessary at all.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#15]
In other cartridges velocity can matter a bit. Huge shifts. But in a subsonic blackout the difference between 950 and 1050 fps doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By xxlitupxx56:

It’s not just sig/Q thing, it’s what you need to stabilize heavy bullets out of short barrels. Not many people shoot 300blk from 16” barrels, it ideal for for 5” to 9” barrels with the faster twist needed to reliably stabilize heavier bullets. They seem to be testing these from 16” barrels with the shortest being 12.5, which is kind of negates the purpose.

If this is not going to be made in SBR lengths there really isn't a point.
View Quote

As mentioned, in 300 BLK, that's simply not true for a few reasons.  One, the biggest factor in bullet stability vs twist is its physical length, not its weight.  Secondly, there isn't a bullet on the market that fits in 300 BLK rounds for an AR that won't stabilize well at 1:7 twist.  Lastly, barrel length doesn't matter, twist is twist.  A 7" barrel with 1:7 twist will spin a bullet the exact same RPM as a 16" barrel with 1:7 twist (assuming the bullets exit the barrels at the same velocity).  In terms of subs, then a little more twist than average is desirable since the velocities are so low, but once there, no more is needed.  Early AR's were 1:12 twist because they were shooting little 55 grainers at fast velocities.  The 1:9, 1:8 and then 1:7 only came later as longer and heavier bullets and subsonics became a thing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

This guy begs to differ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzLn5o8-LcE
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Hornadys new 338ARC (Page 5 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top