Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: Today 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll never match my hoarding of VHS and BetaMax tapes, OP.
Link Posted: Today 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
LEDs are better in every way. Why?

More efficient
Run cooler
Use less juice
Variety of shades and colors

View Quote
They're way better at RFI, too.  
Link Posted: Today 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:
Eyes are sensitive like my feelings and they blind me like your fucking truck headlights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

More efficient
Run cooler
Use less juice

Eyes are sensitive like my feelings and they blind me like your fucking truck headlights.

You can get LED in several different color temperatures.  I replaced some old fixtures in the basement by LED panels.  Wife was initially complaining about them being "too white".  I made them more yellowish by chewing their settings and ended up going back to daylight, which is the temperature she likes most.   I like better the pure white because helps me seeing colors better.

On top of that, my house electricity bill also went down after I replaced all incandescent and fluorescent by LEDs.

Link Posted: Today 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
All you LED losers should go in the LED buttsecks room.  

You are poor.  I get it and heat of that soft incandescent glow really hurts your sensitive skin.  

Quality light over cheap LED fake photons.  Everyone has opinions just like assholes.
Link Posted: Today 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: Today 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: Today 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
The "bug" with many LED lights, is actually my favorite feature - the ability to have 5500-6500K light when and where I want it. In my case, I prefer all of my kitchen and garage/shop lighting to approximate daylight. Middle of the day, not a cloud in the sky, daylight. It's a place where I REALLY want to be able to see, with lots of detail. It's bright in there.

In the rest of the house (dining room, living room, hallways, bedrooms, bathrooms), I prefer 2700k - kind of an incandescent glow. It just "feels" right, probably because that's what I grew up with.
View Quote

You nailed my mix and reasons, and I love being able to adjust it all to suit.
Link Posted: Today 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: Today 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GlocksareGood:

Pretty sure I have a couple cases of 60, 75 and 100w he reveals.
View Quote
Reveals are where it's at. Some of those in my stash as well.
Link Posted: Today 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Paul:

They make dimmers that correctly function with an LED.
View Quote
Sort of... they work fine with the bulbs, but the dimming range is not as linear and does not go as low level as incandescent bulbs.
Link Posted: Today 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Fiber.  

Are you a follower and cant handle that my soft white incandescent bulb energy usage cost doesn't matter but only to poors?
View Quote

Why would someone using old outdated technology think that people not using said tech is poor?  Are you too poor to afford the best lighting technology in your home, or are you stuck using late 1800s era tech?

I like to use newer higher tech stuff in general, because my income allows me such luxuries, and dealing with old outdated junk in general isn't very pleasant.

Link Posted: Today 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Literally it is mentioned, the soft glow.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
Fine, fine, fine....I'll bite.

Tell the class why you would hoard incandescent light bulbs.
Literally it is mentioned, the soft glow.

You can buy "soft glow" LED's that look just like incandescent bulbs........
Link Posted: Today 2:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#13]
Link Posted: Today 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#14]
The "for the poors" arguments in a thread like this (and many others, really) do get kind of irksome. It's a weird and played-out thing that middle class people do on the Internet, and it gets old.

Incandescent bulbs are cheap. So are LEDs. So is the electricity to operate either one of them. Even if every bulb in your house is an "energy inefficient" incandescent bulb, I can almost promise that it's not even 20% of your monthly energy costs. Having a preference for either one isn't a flex. It's a fuckin' preference, and it's not that remarkable.
View Quote

I'm undergoing a whole house renovation after a fire. We're putting in a couple dozen new LED wafer lights from ARB. They're programmable to follow a circadian light cycle. Bright white in the daytime, and a warmer more amber color starts taking over at sunset. Those middle of the night sleep upsets are going to be a lot kinder on the eyes.  I love the .lux feature on my computer monitor, it'll be much like that.

Can't really do that with incandescent.
Link Posted: Today 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have about 100 GE 40 watt bulbs in the attic.  When the damn spiral bulbs came out my local Walmart clearanced GE 4 bulb packs for $1.

I bought two shopping carts full.  I hated those damn garish spiral bulbs.

I went through all the 60, 75, and 100 watt bulbs, but then LED's came out and I use those now, so the 40 watt are just collecting dust.
Link Posted: Today 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Nostalgia

Incandescent were desirable back when all the LED bulbs sucked.  They wouldn’t work if cold (like outdoor lighting), emitted EMF that would interfere with radio signals like garage door openers, etc.

But now LEDs rock.  OP is welcome to have at all the old bulbs.
View Quote

This.  Power costs keep going up, the last thing I want are more energy suckers.
Link Posted: Today 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Hoarding incandescent bulbs made sense for a short while when the only real replacement was those terrible, squiggly CFL bulbs. Now that high quality LED bulbs are common and cheap, I don’t understand why you would use a standard incandescent light.
Link Posted: Today 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Ehh. Most all of my house, inside and outside, is Philips Hue. LEDs are great.
Link Posted: Today 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#19]
4 100 watt incandescent lightbulbs in a room put out around 1361 BTU's of heat per hour so if used in the  winter, while they cost more as far as light goes, it does get made up somewhat by their heat output.

In the summer though, it's more heat your A/C has to transfer outside.
Link Posted: Today 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#20]

More efficient
Run cooler
Use less juice

View Quote

Stupid mindset. If they are so much better in every way, why ban incandescent?  Shouldn’t everyone want the LED’s?  Shouldn’t the market take care of this?

LED’s don’t put out heat. Some people need incandescent for the heat.

I ordered a pallet of incandescent ones before the stupid ban. This shit is costing me money.
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Aguas:
In this thread we learn that boomers dont know anything about light temperature or led dimmer switches.  

View Quote
another mindless "boomer" post in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with age groups.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#22]
The "bug" with many LED lights, is actually my favorite feature - the ability to have 5500-6500K light when and where I want it. In my case, I prefer all of my kitchen and garage/shop lighting to approximate daylight. Middle of the day, not a cloud in the sky, daylight. It's a place where I REALLY want to be able to see, with lots of detail. It's bright in there.

In the rest of the house (dining room, living room, hallways, bedrooms, bathrooms), I prefer 2700k - kind of an incandescent glow. It just "feels" right, probably because that's what I grew up with.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rossi:

More efficient
Run cooler
Use less juice

You can get LED in several different color temperatures.  I replaced some old fixtures in the basement by LED panels.  Wife was initially complaining about them being "too white".  I made them more yellowish by chewing their settings and ended up going back to daylight, which is the temperature she likes most.   I like better the pure white because helps me seeing colors better.

On top of that, my house electricity bill also went down after I replaced all incandescent and fluorescent by LEDs.

Yep.  It's the great thing about LEDs.  We can adjust based on preference and tasks.   I don't see myself going back to incandescent or fluorescent.

Link Posted: 10/18/2024 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I like incandescent.  Much softer.  Easier on the eyes.  Much nicer to look at too.

Seems to light better too.  LED makes a bright spot with a hard edge and I can't see anything outside of that bright spot.  The soft spill from incandescent lights up a road, or room, better.  

LED lighting looks terrible in photos and on video.  LED has ruined photography / videography.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top