User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The capabilities of this aircraft are so fantastic that I find it hard to believe they retired it without something even more awesome operational.

Yeah, me too. They gave up on the SR-71 without so much as a peep. When did you ever hear of any big mil system being shut down without a bunch of howling about it unless there was something replacing it?

Clinton era Air Force politics, plain and simple.  

They're called satellites.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What happened to the OOH's & AAH's & laughs this thread began as?
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A lot of differences between the SR-71 and the A-12.

www.vaq34.com/junk/sr71-a12_difference.jpg

The right one can't be an A-12.. it lacks the .. different wing/nose.. err. things.

Aside.. the a-12 was built as an interceptor to launch missiles from. like the f-14/phoenix agm-54

I think.

OK, I'll play your silly game.
Guess you better call NASA up and let them know they fucked away the caption at the bottom of their picture.

Why was it silly and why was it a game?
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why was it silly and why was it a game?

Hate to burst your bubble, but KA3B (and NASA) is correct about the A-12 on the right and the SR-71 on the left in that photo.

Notice there are no rear cockpit windows on the A-12. This is a single seater.
Also notice the width of the fuselage shadows on the ground...the SR-71 is wider than the A-12.

As someone already pointed out, the A-12 is the single-seat CIA aircraft and the YF-12 is the two-seat  interceptor variant armed with internal GAR-9 (AIM-47) Super Falcon missiles tipped with 250 kiloton warheads. (Or planned to be tipped with them...)

The YF-12 also has two ventral vertical stabilizers (one under each engine nacelle) and a large center-folding ventral stabilizer that is retractable in the center of the rear fuselage.
So yeah, the Blackbirds are just too cool!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You used a FRENCH webpage to base your facts of the J58 on?  

I never said that the J58 turbojet engine is what took the SR-71 to its high mach speeds.  
Ran what I said though the liberalizer spin translation webpage I see.

Didn't I post this or was I on drugs:  The AEROSPIKE or TRANSLATING SPIKE and it's associated systems are what takes the SR-71 to the high mach speeds.

Maybe you could stick to your delusional version of reality, or you could  read the actual discourse of information that was being discussed before you started with false presumptions of ignorance.  As for the website, it posted for more general information on the developement of the SR71, not an actual reference page on the core sections of the J58, but what ever floats your boat pal, the white part on birdshit.......
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The fucking J58 is a TURBOJET ENGINE.
A TURBOJET ENGINE powers the SR-71.

The AEROSPIKE or TRANSLATING SPIKE and it's associated systems are what takes the SR-71 to the high mach speeds.

www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/j58airflow.jpg

P&W put a fan on the J-52 and called it the JT8D turbofan.
P&W put a translating spike on the J58 and called it a.....TURBOJET.

Please, stop the ignorance.

I remember reading about an accident when a flashlight was left in one of the intakes prior to an engine test.  In just a few very noisy and exciting seconds, a couple hundred thousand dollars damage was done to the engine.  I imagine someone was in deep, deep shit for that one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for later!
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The AEROSPIKE or TRANSLATING SPIKE and it's associated systems are what takes the SR-71 to the high mach speeds.

I remember reading about an accident when a flashlight was left in one of the intakes prior to an engine test.  In just a few very noisy and exciting seconds, a couple hundred thousand dollars damage was done to the engine.  I imagine someone was in deep, deep shit for that one.

I think the SR-71 used ram jet and not turbo jet engines.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh OH!!  Welcome to the party!!!!  (psst thats what I've been saying).
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
We went back the the Museum of Flight this weekend so I took a few more pictures of the D21 drone.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never said that the J58 turbojet engine is what took the SR-71 to its high mach speeds.  

Didn't I post this or was I on drugs:  The AEROSPIKE or TRANSLATING SPIKE and it's associated systems are what takes the SR-71 to the high mach speeds.

Maybe you could stick to your delusional version of reality, or you could  read the actual discourse of information that was being discussed before you started with false presumptions of ignorance.  As for the website, it posted for more general information on the developement of the SR71, not an actual reference page on the core sections of the J58, but what ever floats your boat pal, the white part on birdshit.......

Personal attacks and name calling always make a persons point more better.
Keep calling me names.

Me? I'll stick with what Pratt and Whitney classified the J58 as, a turbojet.

You and the rest can focus on the the part of the SR-71's powerplant system that does not include the big lump of metal inside the engine bay that is the J58 axial-flow turbojet engine.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh OH!!  Welcome to the party!!!!  (psst thats what I've been saying).

Well if that was sarcasm it was pretty good.  I did not see anyone mention the fuel was a special blend (JP-7) that had a very high flash point and could be used to extinguish a cigarette.  

Also the plane leaked fuel on the ground and would not seal up until the titanium skin had expanded due to heat.  

Oh and do not forget that the titanium was continuously being re-forged and becoming stronger with each flight due to the high heat.  Did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Found this

The SR-71 Blackbird is powered by two Pratt & Whitney J-58 turbo-ramjets, each developing 32,500 pounds of thrust with afterburning. The critical problems concerning supersonic flight with air breathing engines are concentrated in the air inlet area. The circular air intakes of the SR-71 contain a center body tipped with a conical spike. The spike is movable, forward for takeoff and climb to 30,000 feet after which, as speed builds up, it moves rearward, controlling the amount of air entering the engine. As it does so, Air Inlet Bypass Doors in the side of the nacelle close to establish the correct flow of air through the engine, holding the supersonic shock wave in it's critical position within the inlet. The engine itself operates at subsonic speed. At Mach 3+ the spike is three feet to the rear of it's takeoff position, slowing down the incoming airflow, establishing an area of pressure within the nacelle, which is now pushing the engine. This action is so powerful that it accounts for 58 percent of the total thrust, the engine providing only 17 percent, and the ejectors (surrounding the nacelle near the afterburner) is responsible for the remaining 25 percent. Should the shockwave be expelled from the inlet, a condition known as an "Unstart" occurs. Unstarts have been known to be so violent as to crack the pilots helmet from the severe yaw of the aircraft. If unchecked, the resulting yaw is described by SR-71 pilots as though the nose and tail are trying to swap ends. However, an automatic control system senses this problem and repositions the Spike in milliseconds, doing so with great accuracy even though air loads of up to fourteen tons are acting on the spike, dealing with the difficulty before the human brain becomes aware of the problem, and the Blackbird cruises on....faster than a rifle bullet.

Check this site out http://www.virtualsciencefair.org/2004/flor4a0/public_html/propulsionx43.htm

The scramjets are coming!!!!!!!

Here is another cool link if anyone cares.  http://www.aircraftenginedesign.com/custom.html4.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If the SR-71 used ramjet engines how did it get airborne?
Did it use a rocket to get airborne and get enough speed going to get the ramjet light like the German V-1 bombs did?

I am curious, please, let me know how this ramjet engine of the SR-71 worked and what got the SR-71 in the air.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
My understanding is that the SR-71 engines worked as a conventional turbofan at lower altitudes and switched to ramjet mode at higher altitudes.

Here is what I found:

Each J58 engine has 32,500 lbs. of thrust, enough to drive the largest ocean liners. They are the largest of their kind and used to be the most powerful in the world. The engine is one part of a propulsion system, which includes an inlet, and an ejector, each producing thrust. In order for the system to work properly over a long period of time, the inlet must capture the onrushing air properly. To do this, a large spike is placed in the inlet and moves forward and back as conditions change. When the air is not captured properly, an event called an unstart occurs. An unstart is best described as a violent yaw where the aircraft pulls to the side where the engine has unstarted. To correct the problem, the pilot must push the spike totally forward and adjust it to capture the air properly, this is called a manual intake. The J58 engines operate as ordinary jets at low speeds, switching to become ramjets at high speeds above 2,000 mph.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That was a damn good air show.  Too bad we fell short on numbers of people in the audience.

Prolly because there had just been a big airshow at Mather last month. Bad timing/planning.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#17]
The J85 is a turbojet.

See this picture?
It's a picture of a PW J58 turbojet engine.

My last word on the subject, it comes from Pratt and Whitney.
www.pratt-whitney.com/about_history_classic_j58.asp
J58, A *****turbojet engine*****, in the 30,000-pound thrust-class, powering Mach 3 aircraft.

Please direct the rest of your comments to Pratt and Whitney at: [email protected]

The J58 turbojet / ramjet debate portion of the thread is done.

Please remain seated until the ride has stopped.

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]
UAVs are the way to go from now on, IMO.

Good thread, btw.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#19]
From Wikipedia

Air inlets
A critical design feature to allow Mach 3.0+ cruising speeds, yet provide subsonic air flow into the turbojet engines were the air inlets. At the front of each inlet was a sharp, pointed moveable cone called a "spike" that was locked in the full forward position on the ground or when in subsonic flight. During acceleration to high speed cruise, the spike would unlock at Mach 1.6 and then begin a mechanical (internal jack screw powered) travel to the rear up to a maximum of 26 inches (66 cm). The original air inlet computer was an analog design which, based on pitot-static, pitch, roll, yaw, angle-of-attack inputs, would determine how much movement was required. By moving, the spike tip would withdraw the shockwave riding on it into the inlet body where reflections of the shockwave from the inlet cowl to the spike and back to the cowl would cause a loss of energy and slow it down until a Mach 1.0 shockwave was formed, the backside of which was subsonic air for ingestion into the engine compressor. This capture of the shockwave within the inlet was called "Starting the Inlet". Tremendous pressures would be built up inside the inlet and in front of the compressor face. Bleed holes and bypass doors were designed into the inlet and engine nacelles to handle some of this pressure and allow the inlet to remain "started". So significant was this inlet pressure build-up (pushing against the inlet structure) that at Mach 3.2 cruise, it was estimated that 58% of the available thrust was being provided by the inlet, 17% by the compressor and the remaining 25% by the afterburner. Ben Rich, the Lockheed Skunkworks designer of the inlets, often referred to the engine compressors as "pumps to keep the inlets alive" and sized the inlets for Mach 3.2 cruise (where the aircraft was at its most efficient design point).[1] (Presumably he was being somewhat facetious, as inlets don't use propellant and thus don't create net thrust, otherwise the SR-71 would have been built with more inlets... in fact the compressor and afterburner make up for the inlet compressors aerodynamic losses and add further thrust.)

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
From Wikipedia
<snip>

Enough already.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What happened to the OOH's & AAH's & laughs this thread began as?

What he said. I mean for fuck's sake what is wrong with some of you guys anyway?
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was a damn good air show.  Too bad we fell short on numbers of people in the audience.

Prolly because there had just been a big airshow at Mather last month. Bad timing/planning.

Actually, it was because of a lack of sufficient advertising.  Besides, all Mather had was the Blue Angels.  We had the Thunderbirds and the Golden Knights.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From Wikipedia
<snip>

Enough already.  

Ok finished.  I was actually just trying to be helpful.  

I will not make any remarks about my post count either.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it was because of a lack of sufficient advertising.  Besides, all Mather had was the Blue Angels.  We had the Thunderbirds and the Golden Knights.

Agreed. I did not hear about it at all UNTIL THE NIGHT BEFORE...
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#25]
The BB is a bad mother to be sure, but I have always liked the B-58 Hustler. I was there at WPAFB at the "museum runway" when the one on display landed. And there when "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" landed, and many others. Growing up within eyesight of the place has it's benefits.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The BB is a bad mother to be sure, but I have always liked the B-58 Hustler. I was there at WPAFB at the "museum runway" when the one on display landed. And there when "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" landed, and many others. Growing up within eyesight of the place has it's benefits.

I love the hustler too, I think the SR-71, B-58, and XB-70 form the trifecta of coolest large aircraft of their era.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love the hustler too, I think the SR-71, B-58, and XB-70 form the trifecta of coolest large aircraft of their era.  

Yep, have to agree 100%.

The XB-70 sitting out front of the museum is my mental image every time I think of the place, though it is not there now. Ohhh, and the silver tires, the bird nests in every nook and cranny, and of course the bird crap all over that irreplaceable piece of history.

The Valkyrie showing up there predates me though. But my Dad was there when it landed and has super 8 footage of it. He was a civvie' employee of WPAFB back then.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Shhhh,
Everyone stop yer bitchin and watch the movie...

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-6-5_SR71-Record-Flight.wmv
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Shhhh,
Everyone stop yer bitchin and watch the movie...

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-6-5_SR71-Record-Flight.wmv

www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-6-5_SR71-Record-Flight.wmv

Link Posted: 6/19/2006 6:16:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
When I was a kid my dad took me to a local Air show where we were lucky enough to see one fly.The one thing I remembered when it flew was how LOUD that sucker was.It was twice as loud as the regular military jets.Also when it flew it did a few passes for the crowd and at the end it did a full after burner run and pulled straight up into the sky until we couldnt see it no more.The commentator said he was off to catch a tanker and after that we never did get to see one fly again.This was back in 1984-85 I think.

I might have been at that same air show.....Point Magu Naval Air Station in Ventura County??  Really neat to see that sucker fly by!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey sorry to go off the real subject, But i just happened to be thinking of the Google Earth thing I saw the blackbirds on the ramp there a few weeks back , now they are gone? I read this today.

ANY COINCIDENCE?

A North Korean state television broadcast, monitored in Seoul, said nothing about whether the North intended to test-launch a long-range missile. But the report cited a Russian editorial on the subject and said the North "has the due right to have a missile that can immediately halt the United States' reckless aerial espionage activity."

The North has repeatedly complained in recent weeks about alleged U.S. spy planes watching its activities
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hey sorry to go off the real subject, But i just happened to be thinking of the Google Earth thing I saw the blackbirds on the ramp there a few weeks back , now they are gone? I read this today.

ANY COINCIDENCE?

A North Korean state television broadcast, monitored in Seoul, said nothing about whether the North intended to test-launch a long-range missile. But the report cited a Russian editorial on the subject and said the North "has the due right to have a missile that can immediately halt the United States' reckless aerial espionage activity."

The North has repeatedly complained in recent weeks about alleged U.S. spy planes watching its activities

I think they're referring to the RC-135 (or whatever they're called) flights.    Several news stories have referred to them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANY COINCIDENCE?

I think they're referring to the RC-135 (or whatever they're called) flights.    Several news stories have referred to them.

Hmm, i dont think those could be considered reckless flights unless something came over their countrys airspace and they had to take reckless shots at it.

No One finds it interesting that the First squad of Raptors went to Alaska to train:

The 27th FS, the first operational Raptor squadron, brought an additional six jets into town May 24 and 25, making it a dozen F-22s that will nest here for the next six weeks.

The 12 Raptors, 18 pilots, 174 maintainers -- as well as other Raptor support personnel -- will participate in Northern Edge, Alaskan Command’s joint exercise June 5 to 16.

“We know that we will be working closely together in the near future, so this is an excellent opportunity to get to know some of the people and processes that we will encounter as we bring F-22s to Alaska,” said Col. Randy Roberts, 3rd Operations Group commander.

After participating in Northern Edge, the 27th FS will remain here through June. Colonel Tolliver said his squadron’s goal is to get as much training in as possible.
________________________________________________________________________________

The activity in North Korea came as the United States on Monday began a major set of exercises off its Pacific territory of Guam. The five-day maneuvers, called "Valiant Shield," involve 30 ships — including three aircraft carriers — 22,000 troops and 280 aircraft.

_________________________________________________________________________________

No coincidence they have missile capable of 9300 miles being fueled in N korea?
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We've got a pair of them sitting outside Plant 42 out here in Palmdale, CA.  I've also seen a few more at NASA Dryden out at Edwards AFB.  We were setting UPS units for the communications systems and you could see them in the hangers.

64-17962 SR-71A Reserve Fleet, Plant 42, Palmdale, CA
64-17968 SR-71A  Reserve Fleet, Plant 42, Palmdale, CA  
60-6937 A-12 Storage, Plant 42 (Skunk Works)  

64-17980 SR-71A  Operational, NASA Dryden FRC, Edwards AFB, CA  
64-17971 SR-71A Operational (USAF), Det 2, 9th SW, Edwards AFB, CA  
64-17967 SR-71A Operational (USAF), Det 2, 9th SW, Edwards AFB, CA
64-17956 SR-71B  Operational, NASA Dryden FRC, Edwards AFB, CA

No longer accurate.  The one and only SR-71B is on long-term/permanent loan to the Air Zoo in Portage MI.  AirZoo

I know, I work there
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Question:

Why even retire them?  

"there is something a lot better out there!"

So.

Are the SR-71's all of a sudden ineffective?
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personal attacks and name calling always make a persons point more better.
Keep calling me names.

Me? I'll stick with what Pratt and Whitney classified the J58 as, a turbojet.

You and the rest can focus on the the part of the SR-71's powerplant system that does not include the big lump of metal inside the engine bay that is the J58 axial-flow turbojet engine.

All I'm saying is an AR15 is not an M16 as much as the J58 is not just a turbojet engine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#38]
www.pw.utc.com/about_history_classic_j58.asp

On this page you will find the word "_____jet".

A.)  Turbo
B.)  Scram
C.)  Ram
D.)  Fan
E.)  Quadra

Hint:  This question is A tough one.

Sheesh!
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, have to agree 100%.

The XB-70 sitting out front of the museum is my mental image every time I think of the place, though it is not there now. Ohhh, and the silver tires, the bird nests in every nook and cranny, and of course the bird crap all over that irreplaceable piece of history.

The Valkyrie showing up there predates me though. But my Dad was there when it landed and has super 8 footage of it. He was a civvie' employee of WPAFB back then.

Here's a pic of me (in the stroller) and the XB-70 circa 1965:

Link Posted: 6/19/2006 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
All I'm saying is an AR15 is not an M16 as much as the J58 is not just a turbojet engine.

Chevy Chase: And now, as a public service to those of our viewers who have difficulty with their comprehension, I will repeat the top story of the day, aided by the Headmaster of the New York School for those with the Lack of Comprehension Skills, Garrett Morris.  

Chevy Chase: "Our top story tonight..."

Garrett Morris: "Our top story tonight...!"

Chevy Chase: "...Pratt and Whitney, the manufacturer of the SR-71 J58 engine..."

Garrett Morris: "...Pratt and Whitney, the manufacturer of the SR-71 J58 engine...!"

Chevy Chase: "...still calls the SR-71 J58 engine a turbojet engine."

Garrett Morris: "...still calls the SR-71 J58 a turbojet engine...!"

Chevy Chase: "Good night, and have a pleasant tomorrow."

Garrett Morris: Good night, and have a pleasant tomorrow...!"

From Pratt and Whitney.
www.pratt-whitney.com/about_history_classic_j58.asp
J58, A *****turbojet engine*****, in the 30,000-pound thrust-class, powering Mach 3 aircraft.

I proved you wrong.
It's finished.
Anything more that you post about the SR-71 J58 engines not being a turbojet engine is trolling.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Ouch!  "Sled Driver" *starts* at $159 and goes up from there!!

Holy Crap!!! Where are you seeing that? I've had that book for years!
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
www.pw.utc.com/about_history_classic_j58.asp

On this page you will find the word "_____jet".

A.)  Turbo
B.)  Scram
C.)  Ram
D.)  Fan
E.)  Quadra

Hint:  This question is A tough one.

Sheesh!

I'm sorry, I was looking for "F.) Cobra Jet".  
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I visited the Airzoo a few weeks back and I must say that although the platform that the SR-71B is on is designed to put it out of hands reach, when you're 6'8" few things remain unreachable (and the SR-71 wasn't one of them!! ) I finger-fucked it good!!   Almost made me poop 'em!
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I used to peruse the educational catalog and take courses on deployments for somethint to do. I took an officers correspondence course on jet aircraft engine. In addition to a nice section on the Allison T56 fuel control (P-3 engine) there was a sidebar note in the turbojet section about the J-58 with picture of one on a stand with labels and arrows. The engine was described as a high-bypass turbojet. At speed the burner cans are shutdown with the bypasses fully open. All combustion takes place in the afterburner section at that point. The compressor is not bypassed but effectively acts as a low pressure (compared to the air in the bypass ducts anyway.) air pump once the burner cans were shutdown.

I did a deployment to Kadena in '78 with VP-40. The Habu hangars were next to the SAC area of the line and off-limits. They had to taxi past our hangar and line to takeoff and guys were always trying to take pictures of it as it taxied by. The Air Police that accompanied it would always stop and take the film out of your camera if they saw you. Which was pretty BS when you considered the locals were just outside the fence taking pictures with the monster telephoto lenses. They could probably have told you the color of the pilots eyes. One night (probably 02 or 03 in the morning) I was working on a plane and watched the Habu taxi by from the flight station of one of our planes. I shutdown the APU and walked across the taxiway and the parking ramp on the other side to sit in the grass at the edge of the parking ramp. When they lite up the AB to take off it sounded like the plane exploded except the explosion just went on and on. When the plane passed me the afterburner flame was twice as long as the plane and started out white changing to an orange color about a 1/3 along in the length. I counted 9 blue shock diamonds in the flame. I was wearing ear plugs and a set of attenuators both and it was still absolutely deafening. Felt like someone was squeezing my body. I had serious regrets about having moved to where I was but it was quite a spectacular sight. I couldn't have been more than 50 or 60 feet away from the runway edge. Very, very impressive airplane.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#45]

955 flies in full afterburner, showing 9 shock diamonds in the left engine's exhaust and 10 in the right.  According to Donn Byrnes, co-author of Blackbird Rising, "If you want to see how good an engine you have, count the shock diamonds --- if you can get 9 or better, you have got yourself one hell of an engine." - Lockheed photo by Bill Flanagan, via John Stone
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Now I have MY book by Brian Shul on the Sled for sale. It really is an awesome book but I had no idea it was collectible.

s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y04Y4469764Y9433069/104-1212399-0770361
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

According to Donn Byrnes, co-author of Blackbird Rising, "If you want to see how good an engine you have, count the shock diamonds --- if you can get 9 or better, you have got yourself one hell of an engine." - Lockheed photo by Bill Flanagan, via John Stone

That was then, now you count how many donuts on a rope you have.

Got pictures?  
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Lockheed SR-71 and its variants are BY FAR the greatest aircraft ever built and flown!

Even if it came out TODAY, it would be lightyears ahead of its time.

I wish someday I could be a part of such a project...

Anyone else have more 6+ information/speculation? I have never heard of this before.

I agree with your sentiments exactly, I've always thought the SR-71 was/is the greatest aircraft ever.

And to think, at the time it was built it was done by engineers who only had slide-rules and drafting boards.

It is absolutely one of the greatest technological achievements of all time in my humble opinion...

I was thinking the same thing.  Consider also the timeframe they worked within and the fact that they had to fabricate their own tools to work the titanium.

Genius.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top