Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2006 10:03:52 AM EDT
Just picked up a 75 Chevy C10, and it's awaiting body work and paint.

Was thinking of putting on a rear roll pan, but a friend cautioned that even with the steel ones, I'd still have little protection from a rear end collision.

Does anyone know of a roll pan that is built to provide protection from rear collisions, like with a bumper inside of it or some other support?
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Roll pans offer nearly no protection, which is why they are illegal in some states.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the box is going to provide plenty of protection if you got hit hard.  If you get bumped, expect damage.

I'd use a steel one because they look MUCH better when welded in.
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Roll pans offer nearly no protection, which is why they are illegal in some states.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the box is going to provide plenty of protection if you got hit hard.  If you get bumped, expect damage.

I'd use a steel one because they look MUCH better when welded in.

+1

Don't buy a fiberglass one and have it glassed in, it'll crack after a while.
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just picked up a 75 Chevy C10, and it's awaiting body work and paint.

Was thinking of putting on a rear roll pan, but a friend cautioned that even with the steel ones, I'd still have little protection from a rear end collision.

Does anyone know of a roll pan that is built to provide protection from rear collisions, like with a bumper inside of it or some other support?

The steel rear bumper on trucks is bolted to a steel frame, there are no absorbers.  Whether you are struck from the rear and it hits the frame, or it hits a steel rear bumper makes no difference.

The only difference will be in a very minor accident, the heavier gauge steel of a bumper would probably show no damage whereas a sheetmetal painted rollpan would.

Get your roll pan from Sir Michaels if they make one for your truck, best quality out there.  And get a metal roll pan, not fiberglass or urethane.

ETA: Gratuitous truck pics

Link Posted: 11/17/2006 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#4]
i just sold my baby,,1970 Chevy 4X4 with 4" lift and it had a low profile chrome bumper and it looked good,,if you ever use any body filler i reccomend ALL-METAL,,i use to get it free since i worked there(but no longer do),,we also made JB Weld ,,but the ALL-METAL is very nice and easy to work with
CAUTION: if you use ALL METAL wear a face mask,,i started to sand and got a snoot full of this shit and got an instant headache,,,as a test i put a grinder to it and it is some tough shit,,it has aluminum particles and some other ferrous metals in it and a magnet WILL stick to it,,,on a roll pan it is used strictly for looks,,so i wouldnt worry about a bumper if you want "the look" on your truck
Thank you
Bob
Link Posted: 11/17/2006 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Just for the record ohiobob, Aluminum is not a ferrous metal and a magnet will not stick to aluminum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top