Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2006 6:31:49 AM EDT
Looking through the shotgun news Ive seen alot of surplus guns and gear for sale.Everyone recognizes the ad in Shotgun news with the Cartoon drawings of german and US troops. I saw a few descriptions of miillitary surplus items that made me smile.

The descriptions work for sure to get you "excited" and Pumped up about the item, but you cant help but laugh at the same time.

My favorite
"Placed in the Arsenal, ready to be handed out to troops at moments notice."

another
" very rare found deep in the arsenal warehouse"  Now isn't most everything surplused warehoused indoor or out, then "found" at one time or another and later sold? LOL

and
"Issued to communist troops to defend the motherland"

You got any funny ones you read somewhere?
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Fred's column in Shotgun News has had some pretty outlandish stuff.

Not really surprising though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:45:55 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a gunshow dealer in the Southwest that sells mostly surplus items.  Not necessarily military surplus, but a lot of odd items of questionalble utility.  Most every item has a description and scenario of its possible use.

An example, placed on a box of tiny gauze bandages (seen just prior to the '94 AWB enactment):

"So, there you are in the kitchen canning vegetables, when out of the blue come blue-helmeted UN stormtroopers marching down your country lane.  They take an interest in your humble abode, and you decide without hesitation that you won't be taken alive.  Running to the closet to grab your M1a, the JBTs are already on your front lawn.  You take careful aim through the likeliest avenue of approach (the front door), and begin to express your righteous indignation by way of your trigger finger.  Sensing correctly that you are in a tactically untenable position, you bust out the rear kitchen window and make a hasty withdrawal.

On your way out the busted-out window, you might cut your finger on broken glass.  THESE GAUZE BANDAGES WOULD BE JUST THE RIGHT SIZE.  25 cents ea., or 6 for a dollar."
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is a gunshow dealer in the Southwest that sells mostly surplus items.  Not necessarily military surplus, but a lot of odd items of questionalble utility.  Most every item has a description and scenario of its possible use.

An example, placed on a box of tiny gauze bandages (seen just prior to the '94 AWB enactment):

"So, there you are in the kitchen canning vegetables, when out of the blue come blue-helmeted UN stormtroopers marching down your country lane.  They take an interest in your humble abode, and you decide without hesitation that you won't be taken alive.  Running to the closet to grab your M1a, the JBTs are already on your front lawn.  You take careful aim through the likeliest avenue of approach (the front door), and begin to express your righteous indignation by way of your trigger finger.  Sensing correctly that you are in a tactically untenable position, you bust out the rear kitchen window and make a hasty withdrawal.

On your way out the busted-out window, you might cut your finger on broken glass.  THESE GAUZE BANDAGES WOULD BE JUST THE RIGHT SIZE.  25 cents ea., or 6 for a dollar."

Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sounds like Marketing 101 to me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#5]
they should hire sheriff john bonnell to do the descriptions
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
they should hire sheriff john bonnell to do the descriptions

Link Posted: 11/27/2006 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hey, I'd buy something from him just for the entertainment value.  I know I'd spend at least five minutes in front of his table laughing my ass off at his signs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump for night crew.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to love the cartoons of the Krouts and Limeys in WW1 and WW2 regalia.  Most of the "surplus" stuff is now "recreated in meticulous detail"  The only things left are the really obscure and useless stuff.  Thanks for reminding me I need to re-up.  Those ads were entertaining.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/28/2006 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I like that guy!
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

that's beyond funny.
Worth buying just for the work.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#13]
This one is not funny, but it is one of many instances of merchants just making stuff up

What makes this specifically  a "Marine Corps" item?
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yeah, I can see that happening. I better pick up some extra gauze.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This one is not funny, but it is one of many instances of merchants just making stuff up

Everything is either "Special Forces" "Marine Corps" "Foreign SF" "Ranger" or "Navy SEAL" in the CTD and SG catologs.
If it is black it is SWAT gear.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everything is either "Special Forces" "Marine Corps" "Foreign SF" "Ranger" or "Navy SEAL" in the CTD and SG catologs.

Someone should do a word count on how often the word "tactical" comes up!
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone should do a word count on how often the word "tactical" comes up!

Cheaper Than Dirt has 5,802 ads containing the word "tactical"
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd love to see that guy's description for the Urban Sombrero (Seinfeld).
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

maybe because it has an fsn number?

Category Survival Kit
Sub-Category Survival Kit
Date 1970
FSN 4220-025-9160
This Marine Corps pilots' survival kit consisted of a distress light marker, sea dye, shark repellent and a whistle. This kit would have carried in the pockets of a flight suit or survival vest.

so the Sportsmans Guide kit is missing the shark repellent.   oh well.

what is an fsn number?

http://www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=300

i can understand the anti "tactical" stuff, but most of the generic surplus is military surplus, overruns, 2nds etc.   in other words, real thing or near enough.

does it matter if my p38 was bought by the armed forces, or just made by the same manufacturer and sold direct to some wholesaler?

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#20]
google search for "usmc life preserver kit"

seems like the real deal or near enough.

explanation of how FSN numbers became NSN numbers

fsn---> nsn
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#21]
To a very large degree, Marine Corps aviation is nothing more than "naval" aviation with "MARINES" spray painted on the side.

The question remains, "What makes this specifically a Marine Corps item?".  If it was in fact used only for Marine Corps aircrew, the authorization, direction, and the funding would have all come from the Navy.  Am I mistaken?  Possibly.  I've only been at this eighteen years...

ETA>  I'll be darn.  Looked it up on Fedlog a minute ago.

Supplier Data Response for NSN  4220-00-025-9160
Item Name: LIFE PRESERVER ACCESSORY KIT

CAGE Code: 80372    Status: A    Type: A    CAO: S2101A         ADP: HQ0338

Company Name and Address:
MARINE CORPS

NAVY ANNEX
                                                 Phone:
WASHINGTON DC  20380                                FAX:
UNITED STATES
RPLM Code:                     ASSOC Code:                     AFFIL Code:
SIZE: N      Primary Business: N      Type of Business: N      Women Owned: N
SIC Codes:
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

WASHINGTON DC  20380
UNITED STATES
RPLM Code:                     ASSOC Code:                     AFFIL Code:
SIZE: N      Primary Business: N      Type of Business: N      Women Owned: N
SIC Codes:

I wanna own a womenz!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top