Page / 762
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 8/12/2024 4:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#2]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
Thanks for the perspectives on One Piece.

Yeah, after all the fuss about Netflix doing the live action show etc., I tried checking it out, and saw the 1xxx episodes. Long running show, for sure. Tried watching the first few episodes and they just seemed a pretty run of the mill older, younger children oriented anime (it’s older than some of the people I work with ).
View Quote

Speaking as someone who was in the same boat as you: try to at least watch the Arlong Park Arc before you throw in the towel for good.  It starts around E30 which might seem like a lot, but with One Piece that’s only about 2.5% of the series.

Like I said, I personally don’t consider One Piece a great anime (at least overall).  However, the vast majority of what I’ve seen has at least been watchable and in terms of entertainment value, 1000+ episodes of “watchable” or better anime is well worth powering through the slow parts, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Is it really worth the slog?

I think I watched the first two episodes, and thought, “What’s all the fuss about? Is it a little kid’s thing that I don’t get, like Barney?”
View Quote

It's the favorite show of my niece and she made me promise to watch it, I made it to episode 9. It was just too cartoony for me and I found myself on my phone instead of watching the show. It's crazy popular thou and om Japan the MC is the main statue of the Shonen Jump store and One Piece has it's own store as well. I've heard Hunter Hunter is similar in that it gets really good but that was another seemed much more for little kids.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Paolo from TOKYO did an episode on a Day in the Life of a Japanese Anime Director and I thought it was really interesting how hard they grind.

Day in the Life of a Japanese Anime Director

If you've missed them, he's also done a couple on Manga Ka as well.

Day in the Life of a Japanese Manga Creator

Day in the Life in a Japanese Manga Artist Shared House

Here's one on a game illustrator that works for Square
Day in the Life of a Japanese Game Illustrator

and a Cosplay worker
Day in the Life of a Typical Japanese Cosplay Worker
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By joe_sun:
Paolo from TOKYO did an episode on a Day in the Life of a Japanese Anime Director and I thought it was really interesting how hard they grind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCPZzEbhNJw

If you've missed them, he's also done a couple on Manga Ka as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3rKrTehORY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wVQxAmaEQ4

Here's one on a game illustrator that works for Square
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J33nDgS3uUY

and a Cosplay worker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O82o15Asq54
View Quote

While their younger generation is changing somewhat, the general work ethic in Asia, is quite different than the US (and even more so, the EU).

My Japanese buddy in college in the 90s, told me about things like, “Even when the job is 9-to-5, NO ONE clocks out at 5. No one wants to be the first to leave, because then you’re labeled the lazy one, or not showing loyalty:honor to the company”. WTF.

Even now, the semiconductor plant that opened in GA(?), is having issues between the Taiwanese Management, and the US workers. The Taiwanese idea of work ethic is, “Work comes 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Your life outside of work doesn’t rank in the top 3”.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]

While their younger generation is changing somewhat, the general work ethic in Asia, is quite different than the US (and even more so, the EU).

My Japanese buddy in college in the 90s, told me about things like, “Even when the job is 9-to-5, NO ONE clocks out at 5. No one wants to be the first to leave, because then you’re labeled the lazy one, or not showing loyalty:honor to the company”. WTF.

Even now, the semiconductor plant that opened in GA(?), is having issues between the Taiwanese Management, and the US workers. The Taiwanese idea of work ethic is, “Work comes 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Your life outside of work doesn’t rank in the top 3”.
View Quote

I think it's pretty common knowledge about that but in the anime industry many people aren't even employees, they are contractors. This dude is a contractor and pulled a 15 and a half hour day without breaks, unless you count a train ride.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]

It's the favorite show of my niece and she made me promise to watch it, I made it to episode 9. It was just too cartoony for me and I found myself on my phone instead of watching the show. It's crazy popular thou and om Japan the MC is the main statue of the Shonen Jump store and One Piece has it's own store as well. I've heard Hunter Hunter is similar in that it gets really good but that was another seemed much more for little kids.
View Quote

Not really.  One Piece does get less “for little kids” as it goes, but, overall, not a whole lot less.

HxH, on the other hand, sheds its “for little kids” facade after the very first arc.  It also gets better after the first three episodes which, admittedly, are pretty “Saturday morning cartoon-ish.”

If you enjoy quality anime, you owe it to yourself to watch HxH.  There’s a reason it’s currently 1 of the top 6 rated anime of all time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

Not really.  One Piece does get less “for little kids” as it goes, but, overall, not a whole lot less.

HxH, on the other hand, sheds its “for little kids” facade after the very first arc.  It also gets better after the first three episodes which, admittedly, are pretty “Saturday morning cartoon-ish.”

If you enjoy quality anime, you owe it to yourself to watch HxH.  There’s a reason it’s currently 1 of the top 6 rated anime of all time.
View Quote

It's on my short list to force myself to push though the first season. I just don't have the free time I used to right now so I haven't been watching that many shows this season.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

OK, that’s a recommendation I can get behind. Haven’t watched that one either.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Just make it through the first 3-4 episodes and it starts to get better.  After the first 19 episodes, it gets significantly better, IMO.

And with 148 episodes it’s one of the extremely rare examples of an anime offering a massive amount of quantity AND quality.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 11:23:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
It's been 23 years for me

How good was the og .hack?

As a kid I could never quite had the right time to watch it because of the time it came on

This is also from someone that likes Lain and ergo prox and such.
View Quote
I hated it. MC was a complete asshole, and yet, unaccountably, all kinds of objectively better people just loved  him.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 4:31:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#13]
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
Episode 5 of Quality Assurance took an unexpected turn.
View Quote

I've lost track of the episode numbers.

Was that the...

Click To View Spoiler

or the...

Click To View Spoiler

Yeah, the...

Click To View Spoiler

ETA: OK, I've figured out which episode is which.

Yeah, it should be OK for them to sell the game in Japan because

Click To View Spoiler

But nevertheless it was a cool instance of 'breaking the fourth wall, let alone something totally out of character...

Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's a video where they are interviewing people in Japan about their favorite and least liked anime.

It's interesting how many people will say One Piece is the best but others say it's the most overrated, same with Demon Slayer and others.

What Is Your Anime Hot Take? -Japanese interview
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Ossan Adventurer's latest episode had one of the most amusing fights I've seen in a while.

Plus this gem of a comment afterward:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Commander_Keen:
Ossan Adventurer's latest episode had one of the most amusing fights I've seen in a while.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Yes, I LOL'd at that one.

In other news today...

Alya Secretly Flirts in Russian:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 4:36:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#17]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

In other news today...

Alya Secretly Flirts in Russian:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Mild spoiler
Click To View Spoiler

Bigger spoiler (don't read it if you don't want to spoil the surprise)
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

What's funny is that Rick-san isn't swarmed by horny ladies in his present condition. Or does the ever-present Elf-maid scare them off?
What's really funny is that somebody seems to have picked up a cute little admirer.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anybody else noticed that the latest few episodes of Helck have been littered with gratuitous swearing for no particular reason? Like the localizers have been told to ramp up the cursing. I've noticed it's in both the dub and sub of episode 20, at least. It's completely out of tune with the earlier episodes.

It almost reminds me of that time 20 or so years back when, within the span of about 6 months, seemingly all webcomics suddenly had primary cast gay characters appear out of nowhere.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

the opening song on that show sounds like a drunk karoke guy

it's great
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#21]
@arilulu14

Caesar Clown sounded so familiar, but I couldn’t figure out why so I looked it up.

Same VA as Kodaka from Haganai.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 1:19:32 AM EDT
[#22]
@arilulu14

Caesar Clown sounded so familiar, but I couldn’t figure out why so I looked it up.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_0623_jpeg-3294798.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_0622_jpeg-3294799.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/15/2024 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
@arilulu14

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/__9841c18cfa5d98c0dbb5be86505bf0b7-2063595.gif

Link Posted: 8/15/2024 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Thought we were in for a few chapters of misunderstanding driven moodiness in My Dressup Darling. Surprise!
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Whippet06:
Thought we were in for a few chapters of misunderstanding driven moodiness in My Dressup Darling. Surprise!
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/15/2024 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I decided to give Dagashi Kashi another try on a whim since Yofukashi no Uta is my favorite manga.

Holy shit, the Gundam references. I didn't have any idea what I was looking at the first time since it was before I got into Gundam. Well, anyway, I'm strapped in now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 9:24:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#27]
Originally Posted By Whippet06:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Yeah, that was a sudden shift in the mood.

Caught somebody completely off guard.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 7:16:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog-meat] [#30]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
The deer show is my kind of weird. Just watched the first episode and I lol’d.
View Quote

I swapped the audio for these 2 scenes: #bakihanma #mydeerfriendnokotan #??????????????
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#32]

It's painting with a broad brush, but if you go digging through past news reports and videos on social media, you can find anecdotal examples to back it up.

They get a bit extreme with their portrayal of US gun owners, as well.  In one of the short stories from the A Certain Magical Index author, the better hotels in California (of all places) have gunsmiths on staff and provide gun cleaning services along with their other standard services for their guests.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JPN:

It's painting with a broad brush, but if you go digging through past news reports and videos on social media, you can find anecdotal examples to back it up.

They get a bit extreme with their portrayal of US gun owners, as well.  In one of the short stories from the A Certain Magical Index author, the better hotels in California (of all places) have gunsmiths on staff and provide gun cleaning services along with their other standard services for their guests.
View All Quotes

I’d like to check into a hotel with a Sommelier like the one in John Wick 2
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

The John Wick model.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

The show had a big booth/space at Anime Matsuri last weekend, so wife and I watched a couple of episodes. Kinda WTF, but enough of a fun trainwreck that we'll probably finish it out
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Watched this:

Summer 2024 Anime In A Nutshell

Wistoria: Wand and Sword is pretty bangin'.

First two episodes have more action than the whole Demonslayer Swordsmith arc.

Watching it with my daughter, we like it so far.

Alya sometimes hides her feelings in Russian has been a pretty fun watch so far.  Thumbs up!

Link Posted: 8/16/2024 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#37]

So anime is realistic? Based.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

We are definitely enjoying it. 🤣🤣🤣

Very Azumanga/Nichijou.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Deku finally made it to the big boy fight.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Deku finally made it to the big boy fight.
View Quote

My son watched it yesterday on this gaming rig and he's been begging me to watch it since. The home theater has been being used in a Harry Potter marathon with my daughter and I refuse to watch it on an inferior setup.

Can't wait to watch it! Probably tomorrow at lunch when the kids are back in school.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
It's been 23 years for me

How good was the og .hack?

As a kid I could never quite had the right time to watch it because of the time it came on

This is also from someone that likes Lain and ergo prox and such.
View Quote

For me the story was good, and it one of the earlier stories that I watched
that had that story type.

I am a bit of a computer nerd in those days - and it just clicked.  Not sure if
that would be true today...   I did watch the follow up series - but don't remember much of the
details.

Link Posted: 8/20/2024 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Do you like Frieren?

I mean, do you really like Frieren?

? Our First Anime PC Collaboration! ? Starforge X Frieren Beyond Journey End

https://starforgesystems.com/products/frieren-pc-bundle

Link Posted: 8/20/2024 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#44]
milk truck just arrive
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Unfortunately, dogshit endings to series are not as rare as they should be, in Japan.

View All Quotes

It doesn’t appear as if that opinion is super rare.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/IMG_0500_jpeg-3289015.JPG

Unfortunately, dogshit endings to series are not as rare as they should be, in Japan.

Maybe they studied at the Stephen King school of writing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#46]

I'm a couple of episodes in, it's holding my interest so far.

Just finished Shimoneta, it's gloriously absurd.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SC4eyes:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 8/21/2024 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#48]

That reminds me of my official Whitmer masks from four years ago.
One said "Stretchin' Gretchen" on it, the other was labeled "Heil Whitler!"

Mask du Pants showed me the way.

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#49]
@arilulu14

View Quote

One of the greatest past times is hearing someone in a new anime and desperately tryna figure out who the fuck they spund like untill concededing and looking it up....... wait just me ? Lmao
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 762
Who watches Anime? (Page 760 of 762)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top