Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2007 1:32:16 PM EDT
I found some mushrooms growing in amongst my plants so I just checked on line and I'm pretty sure they're magical.

They apparently grow all around here in the cow patures but I've never actually seen any before.

This isn't my pic but that's what I have growing in my garden. This picture was taken from a doper website and closely matches what is growing in my garden.

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
i dont think those are magic, but just to be sure, tell us how they taste.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Those don't look right.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
DANGER, some mushrooms will fuck your liver up so bad you will need a transplant or be dead pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i dont think those are magic, but just to be sure, tell us how they taste.

I google that pic off a doper website. Those are magic.

www.water-bongs-glass-pipes.com/

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Those don't look right.

These are more like what we used to take see.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
DANGER, some mushrooms will fuck your liver up so bad you will need a transplant or be dead pretty quickly.

Dude, I'm not going to eat them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
i'll be the first to ask, if you die...can i have your guns?
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Those look like they might be Conocybes (not necessarily magical).

Were they growing in grass or cow shit?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conocybe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conocybe_lactea
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Look, I'm not going to eat them! They showed up about 30 years too late for that.

Right now I'm having a nice cold Miller Lite, takin' the slow road to liver failure.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#10]
They look like Gnome hats.

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"Death's Head" mushrooms (toxins destroy the liver in a few hours) killed an entire Laotian (?) family in Florida about a decade or so ago.

Be careful.  Very, very careful.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ll tag this for later. I know someone who is a bit of an expert in all kinds of mushrooms. I’ll probably see him tonight and I'll ask him if he has any clue what they are.

ETA:

My friend called them “little brown mushrooms.” He said the ones in the picture sure look like psychedelic mushrooms. The problem is that there are hundreds of varieties of little brown mushrooms that look almost the same and some of them are deadly.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I found some mushrooms growing in amongst my plants so I just checked on line and I'm pretty sure they're magical.

They apparently grow all around here in the cow patures but I've never actually seen any before.

This isn't my pic but that's what I have.

www.water-bongs-glass-pipes.com/ImgGalery/Dictionary/Freshly-Picked-Shrooms.jpg

In '89, when I lived in Gainesville, my roomies used to supplement their incomes by picking, drying and selling 'shrooms.

Cow pastures where everywhere. Rye is a main mixture in cowfeed which in turn allows the fungus to produce the psylocsybin (sp.) strain of mushroom. Trippy shit!

When the 'shrooms get bigger, the caps turn golden brown. The stems will bluen after they're picked. Once dried they can be eaten in any number of ways.

My roomie's overwhelmingly preferred Kool-Aid.

HS1

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's some I found growing on cow shit!  I have no idea what they are.

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look, I'm not going to eat them! They showed up about 30 years too late for that.

Right now I'm having a nice cold Miller Lite, takin' the slow road to liver failure.

That's the way to do it.  Well, not the Miller Lite.  If you're going to kill your liver, at least kill it with something good.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Those look like they might be Conocybes (not necessarily magical).

Were they growing in grass or cow shit?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conocybe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conocybe_lactea

Under some mulch. There are cow pastures on three sides of this area.

That exact picture is on the wiki page with this caption:

A handful of freshly picked Psilocybe semilanceata, sometimes referred to as Liberty Caps.

Did you guys not read what I wrote above? I took that picture off a doper website about magic mushrooms!!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the way to do it.  Well, not the Miller Lite.  If you're going to kill your liver, at least kill it with something good.
Like a cold frosty New Castle?
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Did you guys not read what I wrote above? I took that picture off a doper website about magic mushrooms!!!

Sorry, I'm too high on mushrooms to notice.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I'm too high on mushrooms to notice.  

Noted.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I have seen those growing before as a kid. A whole patch.  I think I just started kicking them to watch them fly.

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Those are what professional mycologists refer to as LBMs or Little Brown Mushrooms.

There are hundreds of species that look similar enough that they cannot be identified by sight alone.  Some are dangerous, most are just inedible.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Those are what professional mycologists refer to as LBMs or Little Brown Mushrooms.

There are hundreds of species that look similar enough that they cannot be identified by sight alone.  Some are dangerous, most are just inedible.

Sigh.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I got dibbs, get in line behind me.

and pooby knows the laws of dz succession.

That how me and rainbo got all henry's shit
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I have some that look exactly like that picture growing amongst my lettuce.  Its all growing in bags of miracle grow soil, which had a distinct cow shit smell to it the first few times water ran through it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Sigh.

It's an interesting subject.  I've identified and eaten wild (non-hallucinogenic) mushrooms many times.

A rule of thumb is never to rely on any single source of information.  I have a couple of field guides that I use, and am still alive.  Some kinds, like puffballs and chanterelles, are very easy to identify.  You have to cut puffballs in half to make sure they aren't just the budding stage of something bad like an Amanita.  Chanterelles have only one inedible species that looks similar, and that glows under a black light.

You often need to look at the spores under a microscope to make positive IDs.

See www.mushroomexpert.com for the basics.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Woah pooby dude, keep off the shrooms.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that your taste buds have failed, why worry about your liver?  
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh.

It's an interesting subject.  I've identified and eaten wild (non-hallucinogenic) mushrooms many times.

A rule of thumb is never to rely on any single source of information.  I have a couple of field guides that I use, and am still alive.  Some kinds, like puffballs and chanterelles, are very easy to identify.  You have to cut puffballs in half to make sure they aren't just the budding stage of something bad like an Amanita.  Chanterelles have only one inedible species that looks similar, and that glows under a black light.

You often need to look at the spores under a microscope to make positive IDs.

See www.mushroomexpert.com for the basics.

I'd send you one to check out but we'd probably end up in club fed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey, those look better than having this growing in your yard....

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/12/weirdshroom.jpg

I found some of these a couple months back.

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Dude, be careful or you could die from eating mushrooms you found growing in your yard.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I swear I saw some of those last year on a hike around here.  There were flies all over it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I swear I saw some of those last year on a hike around here.  There were flies all over it.

Those are fairly common in Southern California.  They grow well in suburban lawns.  Mighty disgusting.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#35]
you have to dry those before you eat them you know.

Cool pic you took.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I shared a house in the early 70's with some experts in the drug culture. Coincidentally, Pooby, we were all skydivers...

As soon as you pluck them from the ground, break the stem in half and squeeze. If the core turns purple, you've got some good magic ones. Clean them well, then boil in water. Take the water and use it to make sun tea. Drink sparingly and don't even think about operating machinery or anything that can hurt you.

By the way, I NEVER partook in the consumption of said tea and will deny it till I die. You didn't see it and can't prove anything

Link Posted: 6/1/2007 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Uhhhh errrrrrrr never mind..........

ETA, if you take your finger nail and wound the "stalk" and they turn blue, well then you got the real deal.  From what I see they look it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#38]
So........ya gonna eat them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top