Malfunction Sends Foam Bubbling From Air Base Hangar
No One Hurt During Incident
POSTED: 12:09 pm PDT July 25, 2007
UPDATED: 12:38 pm PDT July 25, 2007

OKLAHOMA CITY -- There were bubbles everywhere Wednesday near Tinker Air
Force Base in Oklahoma City.

Foam spewed from an airplane hangar after an anti-fire foam system
malfunctioned.

Bubbles could be seen coming from all openings of the building.

At one point, it appeared the foam was as high as an airplane wing.
No one was hurt in the foam release.

video.knbc.com/player/?id=133413
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'm sure the floor needed to be washed anyway
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 7/25/2007 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Better thee than me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Our washrack at Langley AFB has been set off twice due to a tape ball game gone wrong, and our corrosion control facility was set off once with a maintenance stand I believe it was.

While the hangars aren't that large it still cost aver $100,000 at wack to clean up due to environmental laws I believe was the reason we were given. I'm guessing it was more along the lines of because the government was paying for it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Fire up one of those engines, that oughta take care of it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Our washrack at Langley AFB has been set off twice due to a tape ball game gone wrong, and our corrosion control facility was set off once with a maintenance stand I believe it was.

While the hangars aren't that large it still cost aver $100,000 at wack to clean up due to environmental laws I believe was the reason we were given. I'm guessing it was more along the lines of because the government was paying for it.

The real trouble with this one is that foam is corrosive and that jet was opened up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, what a mess.  I'm sure if it was an Army hanger we'd have a shitload of Privates there trying to share 1 or 2 mops, 5 sponges, and a couple green pads.

So--I wonder how much the Air Force paid for some civvy company to clean that up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
That would make one serious GI party.
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It costs that much for civilians also.  When the testing was done for a Delta hanger at CVG, a cleanup and refill of the system ran around that price.
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't look like it malfunctioned, looks like it worked perfectly.

Ah, those jets sure are purty.
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#12]
It's happened twice at Vance AFB in Enid Oklahoma where I work.
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Our washrack at Langley AFB has been set off twice due to a tape ball game gone wrong,  

lol
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
i was gonna call dupe and say its a couple of yrs old.. blah .. blah... blah..

but .. i was wrong..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top