Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2007 12:45:32 PM EDT
Anyone have expeirence with one of these? I need it to be 100% secure we have a 5yo boy and twin girls that are 8. I need something that only the Mrs and i can open

This isn't it but I'm thinking of going with The Gunvault Biometric safe I've seen them online for anywhere between $350------$300
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats about the same thing I use for mine, except that I have mine mouted under the bed.

The model I have has a warning LED that flashes if someone enters a wrong code. Lets me know if anyone has been messing with it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a cheaper safe for my night stand - it might have been worth the price paid (it is cheep and was cheep), but I have seriously considered the one you are pointing to afterwards - interested to hear other user's views.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been wondering about the same thing.  Do they make 'top loading' ones as opposed to that front loading one pictured?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I have that - it's a Gunvault, right?  Mine is the smaller one without the shelf.  I have it standing on end between my bed and the nightstand, so I can reach down and hit the buttons while lying in bed.  It's attached to the bedframe with a steel cable.

I can say that there's no way a kid is going to get into it with anything short of a prybar, a hammer, and a serious amount of determination.  It will lock out if a certain number of incorrect combinations are tried.  However, it's easy to open in about a second (literally) if you use the right combination.  I bought mine when I had my first child 8 years ago and it's still on the same set of batteries (of course, I don't open it twice a day to finger-fuck my pistol).  

I think they're great.  Great way to have a pistol immediately available yet secure.

Quoted:
I've been wondering about the same thing.  Do they make 'top loading' ones as opposed to that front loading one pictured?

I don't know if Gunvault makes one like that, but I know they're out there.  I think I saw them in a Cheaper than Dirt or Sportsman's Guide catalog.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#5]
They're vulnerable to the Bic pen circular lock trick.

I have one, I'm not worried about it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They're vulnerable to the Bic pen circular lock trick.

I have one, I'm not worried about it.

I'm gonna try that when I get home.  Forgot about that trick.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the exact brand and have bolted it to the floor joists next to the bed.  It can hold two or three guns.  It is very easy and quick to get into.  I truly believe that it would be secure from any small child's curiosity.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a GunVault and have had zero problems with it.

It's not a "safe" per se in that you could get into it relatively easy with a pry bar.

On the other hand there's no way a little kid could get into it.

Ed
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have that one, but this is what I have...

I have it bolted to the top of an innexpensive nightstand.  It is not a great safe by any means but it is only really there to keep the nightstand gun locked up so the kids can't get to it.  I know a thief could break apart the nightstand and walk off with the safe and get the Glock 21 I keep in there but they need to do so with the alarm going off and the dog chewing on their leg.

I keep our valuables in "other safe places" that nobody is going to just pick them up and walk off with them.  

For me, I just need/want a safe that will make it tough for them to get the gun if they came in when we were not home and it secures the Glock when the kids might be about.  I think most any small safe would do that.

EDIT TO ADD:

The keys on the safe I have...

First Key: Allows entry of a combination.  Without that key, the keypad does not work
Second Key:  Master key that opens the safe w/o needing to enter a combination
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used (and still use) a Gunvault Minivault for over 10 years.  I really like the ergonomics and protection.  I can access my loaded Glock in 1-2 seconds (even in the dark by feel), but my 3 kids 6 and under cannot get to it.  The door is spring loaded so when the correct code is entered, it pops open and I have a loaded gun in hand.

My only complaints are minor: this model's opening is a little small for my hand and it runs on 8 AAs, which I occasionally forget to change out and have to use the back up key to gain entry.  I lost the key once, but luckily had the lock number and Gunvault quickly sent me another for a nominal fee (been a while but as I recall the CS was great).  As far as the size of the opening, I understand the design as the mounting options would be extremely limited if the door is on top and the spring loaded door should be as small as possible to work reliably.

The only thing I can think would be better are the biometric safes that need a single fingerprint to open.  Last time I checked, these are much more expensive than the Minivault for not that much more speed.  I think I have seen Minivaults at Academy for $90-$100.  Small price to pay for the insurance of a securely locked firearm that is also quickly accesible.

I personally would stay away from anything that uses a key as a primary point of entry or anything that looks like it might take 2 hands to operate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't have that one, but this is what I have...

ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/413NJ21JXXL._AA280_.jpg

I have it bolted to the top of an innexpensive nightstand.  It is not a great safe by any means but it is only really there to keep the nightstand gun locked up so the kids can't get to it.  I know a thief could break apart the nightstand and walk off with the safe and get the Glock 21 I keep in there but they need to do so with the alarm going off and the dog chewing on their leg.

I keep our valuables in "other safe places" that nobody is going to just pick them up and walk off with them.  

For me, I just need/want a safe that will make it tough for them to get the gun if they came in when we were not home and it secures the Glock when the kids might be about.  I think most any small safe would do that.

EDIT TO ADD:

The keys on the safe I have...

First Key: Allows entry of a combination.  Without that key, the keypad does not work
Second Key:  Master key that opens the safe w/o needing to enter a combination

Just a note.
Many safes of those types are lined with wet clay to protect your documents during a fire.
If so, it may play hell with your pistol.
Just a thought
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just a note.
Many safes of those types are lined with wet clay to protect your documents during a fire.
If so, it may play hell with your pistol.
Just a thought

It's a Glock...  It can handle a little wet clay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top