Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
A picture of just one of the thousands of heroes we have overseas.

Taken a few days  before he was hit in the back by a sniper in Iraq.
He's doing OK now and we're glad to have him back.
My heart goes out to the families of our soldiers that have made great sacrifices in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Official U.S. Navy photo. Photographers Mate 1st Class Arlo K. Abrahamson
Naval Special Warfare operators inspect a shipping container at Iraq's Mina Al Bakar Oil Terminal during an operation to secure the oil platform from being destroyed by Iraqi military.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Pj's

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Pj's

www.acc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/030228-F-1644L-020.jpg

If one of those PJ's were Bob Holler he would be turning points in that photo.

Now he jumps without a rig, he has the original wing suit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
viahj.com/Coppermine/albums/userpics/31.jpg

Thank you very much for your family's sacrifice.

To semi-quote Patton. "I'd rather live for my country and make the other guy die for theirs."

I heartily agree - but if one has to die, to do so while saving the lives of your friends, as many Medal of Honor recipients have, is one of the most noble and honorable things a human being can do for another human being.

I went to a museum at Camp Mabry - they had a special section dedicated to Medal of Honor recipients.  After spending forty five minutes there, I felt very, very insignificant.  The people photographed here, expecially the Medal of Honor recipients - I am not worthy to carry their luggage.  Carry on.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Some nice men out hunting.

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
yeah, .  Finished the book last night, those Men made those fuckers pay for every inch on that mountain.  I hadn't realized that Lt. Murphy was awarded the MOH until this thread.

which book?

Lone Survivor - Marcus Lutrell

He was the only SEAL Team member to survive an ambush in eastern Afghanistan  (killed his 3 immediate team mates, and another 16 killed trying to rescue them when their UH60 was shot down - including 8 additional SEAL Team memmbers, and IIRC, NightStalkers, Medic, and a PJ)

No offense, but it was a 160th CH47 that was shot down, not a hawk.

pato
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a video of a tanker destroyed by an IED.

And here is a video of a sniper in a mosque catching a rocket.

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
viahj.com/Coppermine/albums/userpics/31.jpg

Thank you very much for your family's sacrifice.

To semi-quote Patton. "I'd rather live for my country and make the other guy die for theirs."

I heartily agree - but if one has to die, to do so while saving the lives of your friends, as many Medal of Honor recipients have, is one of the most noble and honorable things a human being can do for another human being.

I went to a museum at Camp Mabry - they had a special section dedicated to Medal of Honor recipients.  After spending forty five minutes there, I felt very, very insignificant.  The people photographed here, expecially the Medal of Honor recipients - I am not worthy to carry their luggage.  Carry on.

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#10]
btt
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Can anyone reccomend any good books and or documentry DVD's. I have read Lone Survivor and seen a couple different National Geographic documentries(Inside Special Forces and Inside Green Berets) Also I've seen the BUDS class 234 show off the Discovery Channel.

Also read Marine Sniper.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Can anyone reccomend any good books and or documentry DVD's. I have read Lone Survivor and seen a couple different National Geographic documentries(Inside Special Forces and Inside Green Berets) Also I've seen the BUDS class 234 show off the Discovery Channel.

Also read Marine Sniper.

SOG, Secret Commando's, The Element of Surprise, Masters of Chaos, Good To Go, Six Silent Men, Immediate Action, One Perfect Op, Mobile Guerrilla Force: With the Special Forces in War Zone D, The Old Breed, Generation Kill, Inside Delta Force, Marine Sniper. All Awesome books of incredible acts of daring.

Film: Ken Burns WW2, Russia's War: Blood Upon The Snow
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#13]
This one is too good to let die already!
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#14]
This is an older video taken around 2004 and circulated among the troops that were there at the time.

Link Posted: 12/7/2007 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
yeah, .  Finished the book last night, those Men made those fuckers pay for every inch on that mountain.  I hadn't realized that Lt. Murphy was awarded the MOH until this thread.

which book?

He was the only SEAL Team member to survive an ambush in eastern Afghanistan  (killed his 3 immediate team mates, and another 16 killed trying to rescue them when their UH60 was shot down - including 8 additional SEAL Team memmbers, and IIRC, NightStalkers, Medic, and a PJ)

Another book to add to the library.

Thanks,
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 12/7/2007 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Not to take anything away from spec ops troopers, but the average GI on the ground (and air) taking and giving fire in Iraq and Afghanistan, are my heroes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not to take anything away from spec ops troopers, but the average GI on the ground (and air) taking and giving fire in Iraq and Afghanistan, are my heroes.

agreed..but theres something to be said about repelling down a building upside down tossing grenades in windows, and then clearing a room double tapping everything that breaths.

Link Posted: 12/7/2007 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

agreed..but theres something to be said about repelling down a building upside down tossing grenades in windows, and then clearing a room double tapping everything that breaths.

Maybe so. But the grunt work of going house to house, searching for arms and insurgents, in 120 degree heat, wearing a load out of 60 to 70 lbs, 10 to 12 hours a day isn't romantic. But our men are getting injured and killed doing it EVERY day.
God Bless them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Why don't the Special Forces or Rangers wear the Blue Infantry Cord or the Blue disks around the branch of service?

I thought they are part of the Infantry family
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

which book?

Another book to add to the library.

Thanks,
BigDozer66

Frank Miller's Autobiography is one of the best books you can read, IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Headed to Iran to fix Carter's mess.

Link Posted: 12/7/2007 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/innocent_bystander/deltaIran.jpg

I remember that very well.  Goes to prove that a micromanaging dem president always results in a cluster fuck.  We lost some good people that day.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Simply awesome thread, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Also read Marine Sniper.

Read Elemant of Surpise, by Darryl Young. He was a SEAL during VIetnam, good book.
Bot your typical SEAL book.
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

which book?

He was the only SEAL Team member to survive an ambush in eastern Afghanistan  (killed his 3 immediate team mates, and another 16 killed trying to rescue them when their UH60 CH47 was shot down - including 8 additional SEAL Team memmbers, and IIRC, NightStalkers, Medic, and a PJ)

No offense, but it was a 160th CH47 that was shot down, not a hawk.

pato

Thanks, pato. None taken, and you are absolutely right...........my mistake.

U.S. Navy SEAL, Lt. Michael P. Murphy posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor

Link Posted: 12/8/2007 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also read Marine Sniper.

Read Elemant of Surpise, by Darryl Young. He was a SEAL during VIetnam, good book.
Bot your typical SEAL book.

I started on Hill 488 today, I'll check that one out soon.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#31]
FIXED
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 12/17/2007 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's a couple of MEU(SOC) pics:

USS BELLEAU WOOD, OFF THE COAST OF OKINAWA, Japan (Aug. 12, 1999) -- A 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) Marine fires his MP-5 machine gun with pinpoint accuracy during weapons handling drills on the hangar deck elevator. The Marines and Sailors of the 31st MEU will be training in Amphibious Ready Group Exercises (ARGEX) and Special Operations Capable qualification Exercises (SOCEX) during August. (Official USMC photo by Sgt. Art Geahr)

U.S. NAVAL ACTIVITIES, Guam (June 14, 1999) -- Corporal Nyamekye C. Anderson from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit's direct action platoon fires his MP-5 machine gun with surgical precision during the weapons qualification portion of Training in an Urban Environment Exercise (TRUEX) 99-2. The training is conducted to prepare 31st MEU Marines on the unique situations encountered when operating in urban environments and performing missions including non-combatant evacuations, humanitarian assistance and show-of-force operations. (Official USMC photo by Sgt. Art Geahr)
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/innocent_bystander/deltaIran.jpg

I remember that very well.  Goes to prove that a micromanaging dem president always results in a cluster fuck.  We lost some good people that day.

How is Carter responsible for a helicopters failing/crashing at Desert One?
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Pics of these heroes deserves a bump.
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Not SF, but a 3 war veteran with 6 purple hearts, 2 Silver Stars (VN and Korea), 6 purple hearts, and more.  My great uncle;

MICHIENZI, JAMES A.
Citation:
The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to James A. Michienzi, Lieutenant Colonel (Infantry), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 2d Infantry, 1st Infantry Division. Lieutenant Colonel Michienzi distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous actions during the period 23 to 25 May 1969 while serving as battalion commander of operations in An Loc District, Binh Long Province. During three days of intense combat, Lieutenant Colonel Michienzi led his forces to three major victories over the North Vietnamese. In each hard-fought engagement, he was at the forefront of the battle directing his forces, adjusting artillery fire and air strikes, personally engaging and killing the enemy and destroying hostile bunkers with hand grenades. He charged enemy fortifications, eliminated machine gun emplacements and killed an enemy battalion commander. Several times he braved the communist fusillade to render first aid to wounded men and to evacuate them to a secured position. Through his leadership and skillful deployment of troops, over two hundred North Vietnamese were slain, and large quantities of enemy arms, ammunition, and documents were captured. Lieutenant Colonel Michienzi's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
Headquarters, US Army, Vietnam, General Orders No. 2552 (July 14, 1969)

Link Posted: 1/24/2008 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Fucken Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#39]
A couple week later bump
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
www.mattaxelson.com/album/afghanistan/images/SPMAJSML.jpg

Doesn't get much more hardcore then these guys.

Story?
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Gratuitous self promotion :

If you ever wondered what the view is while sitting on the tailgate of a pickup, racing towards contact with the enemy....

Patrol:

Combat outpost (Me far right):

AQI:

Walking point in the Souk of Fallujkah:

Link Posted: 2/15/2008 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.mattaxelson.com/album/afghanistan/images/SPMAJSML.jpg

Doesn't get much more hardcore then these guys.

Story?

They look like the four SEALS who were ambushed in Afghanistan last year. Three of them died as well as a helicopter full of reinforcements.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#45]

j/k

Link Posted: 2/15/2008 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/gamekeeper55/pat_tillman.gif

a victim of friendly fire....

If you watch the Mil. Channel they had a whole show about him.

He was gunned down by a .50 cal on top of a humvee... Him and one other person.

Edit for spelling.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#47]
rsm palmer
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

He was gunned down my a .50 cal on top of a humvee... Him and one other person.

By YOUR .50????
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/gamekeeper55/pat_tillman.gif

a victim of friendly fire....

If you watch the Mil. Channel they had a whole show about him.

He was gunned down my a .50 cal on top of a humvee... Him and one other person.

Why did reports then say that he had 3 5.56mm entry wounds to the head?
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Don't hijack this with Tillman's story. It's already on the site, do a search.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top