Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2008 4:24:59 PM EDT
OK y'all, we've had this going for several weeks now and people seem to really enjoy them.  This week I've decided to do something a little different and rather than me deciding what kind of armor to feature, I decided to let y'all choose!

So, go ahead and pick what you want to see and discuss and if I have or can find the pics I'll post them!  Otherwise, post your own and take it in whatever direction you want!

I'll wait for some suggestions before I start posting pics........

-K
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Unimogs in combat!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Probably funnier if you've played Starcraft on a Korean server.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Amphibious armor
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
img475.imageshack.us/img475/8716/582404877go3.jpg

Probably funnier if you've played Starcraft on a Korean server.

I lol'd!!!

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Rocket artillery!

*hint* MLRS!
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
WWII, US Tank destroyers
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
A good 'ol B-17 Flying Fortress that was shot to shit over Europe but still made it home.

I want MASSIVE damage, tail shot out, engines out.

These planes were beasts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]

M163A1 Vulcan Track - Big honking Gatlin gun on it; all you rusties that served in Germany or in Desert Storm and have fond memories of these tracks. Stand up and be counted.

Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I've always thought the Chieftan main battle tank was a pretty cool looking tank.  What was the good, bad and the ugly about it?  What are some good sites that talk about all of it, not just the good stuff.

Thanks,

Al
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#10]
SAM launchers?
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A good 'ol B-17 Flying Fortress that was shot to shit over Europe but still made it home.

I want MASSIVE damage, tail shot out, engines out.

These planes were beasts.

Uhm... right.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Historic tanks ?  

Link Posted: 3/11/2008 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've always thought the Chieftan main battle tank was a pretty cool looking tank.  What was the good, bad and the ugly about it?  What are some good sites that talk about all of it, not just the good stuff.

Thanks,

Al

Leyland motor...crap
Probably had lucas electrics...so no night driving or AC or power locks
Armour good
Gun Good
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Unimogs in combat!!

You bastard.

OK, let's see what I can come up with.

Unimog chassis for Afghanistan service.

Rhodesia.

Same vehicle from the front.

South Africa.

Pakistan.

Captured by Israelis.

Ethiopian.

Another Armoured Unimog. This one Irish.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
www.armyrecognition.com/Amerique_du_nord/Etats_Unis/vehicule_artillerie/M163_AA/M163_Vulcan_Air_Defense_Armored_Vehicle_US_Army_01.jpg

M163A1 Vulcan Track - Big honking Gatlin gun on it; all you rusties that served in Germany or in Desert Storm and have fond memories of these tracks. Stand up and be counted.

Looks like an NTC pic.....MILES gear and the vismod Sheridan to T72 in the background.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.armyrecognition.com/Amerique_du_nord/Etats_Unis/vehicule_artillerie/M163_AA/M163_Vulcan_Air_Defense_Armored_Vehicle_US_Army_01.jpg

Looks like an NTC pic.....MILES gear and the vismod Sheridan to T72 in the background.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not bad, but can you ID the markings on the M163? Can you tell me what unit is it from?
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not bad, but can you ID the markings on the M163? Can you tell me what unit is it from?

I'm going to guess it's from the 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized).  en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M163_VADS.JPEG

Link Posted: 3/11/2008 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Amphibious armor

Alright!

First we have the USMC AAV-7.  THis vehicle has been the mainstay of Marine amphibious troop transport since 1972.  Having been updated throughout it's life it continues to serve with the Marine Corp even today.  It has a troop capacity of over 20 Marines and carries a 40mm Mk19 grenade machine gun and a M2 .50 cal machine gun in a small turret.  They seem to have been somewhat out of their element a bit when they were used as an IFV well inland in Iraq.  It's large size and relatively thin armor (compared to other IFV's such as the Bradley) proved a disadvantage.

Next is the USMC Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle which is slated to replace the AAV-7.  It is slated to come into service in the near future though there have been reliability problems with some systems and the production has been delayed.  It is slated to be armed with a 30mm cannon.

Next up is the BMP series of vehicles used by the Soviets and their allies from the 1960's right through today.  A very common family of vehicles that is still in production, these will be around for a very long time.  While not specifically an amphibious vehicle, they do have the ability to swim water obstacles such as small lakes and rivers.  The BMP-3 has full amphib capability and is in use by the Russian Naval Infantry.

-K
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Thanks,

Al

The Chieftan was considered to be the best tank around when it was fielded by the British Army.  It served in the BAOR for quite a long time facing Soviet tanks.  It was armed with a 120mm rifled gun that was the largest in NATO and larger also than Soviet tanks until the T-72 was introduced with the 125mm smoothbore.  In addition to having the largest gun, it was also quite thickly armored - even more so witht he Stillbrew package.  It wasn't eclipsed until the 1980's with the M1, Leopard 2, and the Challenger.

One significant weakness of the vehicle was it's engine.  It was underpowered for such a heavily armored vehicle and as a consequence it had to be ran very hard to get the tank to perform at all.  This lead to more frequent breakdowns than was really acceptable.  My understanding is that the reason for this was something to do with the desire to be able to use multiple kinds of fuels to simplify logistics in event of WW3.

My understanding is that it actually did OK against Iraqi tanks when the Kuwaitis attempted to defend their homeland.  It also saw service against Iraqi tanks in Iranian service.  Somewhere there are pics of Chieftans rotting away in Iraqi motor pools that were captured from the Iranians.  Hopefully someone can find and post them.

These next two show the later turret armor add on package known as "Stillbrew".  The one with the goofy camo is showing the pattern used in Berlin.  It was found to be an extremely effective camo pattern for operating in urban environments.

-K
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll see if I can take care of a few more requests tomorrow!

-K
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#23]
... Pilot

... Co-pilot gunner

... Our Warfighters love it!
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Pic I took of one passing by while we were waiting for the M88 to haul our broke ass out of the area.  This was in pinion canyon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
... Pilot
www.janes.com/defence/air_forces/news/jawa/jawa001013_1_p2.jpg

... Co-pilot gunner
www.janes.com/defence/air_forces/news/jawa/jawa001013_1_p4.jpg

Helcopters <> Armor...

You can bring down an Apache with an AK47 if you (a) know where to shoot, or (b) are a lucky bastard...
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
... Pilot

... Co-pilot gunner

AH-64 Apache Instrument panels; nice, but this is an ARMOR thread, not a helicopter thread; you guys had yours already. Yes, it was a 24th ID vehicle, namely one from A Co. 11th ADA. We had our share of F-ed up vehicles during my time with the 24th ID, namely our M901A1s, which were well maintained, but there was always that one track that gave us a headache.

Ours were painted tan and had the V on the sides, plus the squares in them. Mondays was the worst day of the week for us; stuck int he motor pool all morning until chow time; but it was fun to throw a few TOW-2B missiles downrange through both the M901 and the M220A1 lunchers we had.

Fun days.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... Pilot

... Co-pilot gunner

AH-64 Apache Instrument panels; nice, but this is an ARMOR thread, not a helicopter thread; you guys had yours already

... you FAIL

... that's EXACTLY what is portrayed in the photos: ARMOR

The main-damn reason pilots (and their wives) love us (not ordnance as many would believe)
... That is ARMOR, son (Silicon carbide & Kevlar™ to be exact)
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 3:29:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

Al

The Chieftan was considered to be the best tank around when it was fielded by the British Army.  It served in the BAOR for quite a long time facing Soviet tanks.  It was armed with a 120mm rifled gun that was the largest in NATO and larger also than Soviet tanks until the T-72 was introduced with the 125mm smoothbore.  In addition to having the largest gun, it was also quite thickly armored - even more so witht he Stillbrew package.  It wasn't eclipsed until the 1980's with the M1, Leopard 2, and the Challenger.

One significant weakness of the vehicle was it's engine.  It was underpowered for such a heavily armored vehicle and as a consequence it had to be ran very hard to get the tank to perform at all.  This lead to more frequent breakdowns than was really acceptable.  My understanding is that the reason for this was something to do with the desire to be able to use multiple kinds of fuels to simplify logistics in event of WW3.

My understanding is that it actually did OK against Iraqi tanks when the Kuwaitis attempted to defend their homeland.  It also saw service against Iraqi tanks in Iranian service.  Somewhere there are pics of Chieftans rotting away in Iraqi motor pools that were captured from the Iranians.  Hopefully someone can find and post them.

i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii28/Special-K65/Armor/Meduim/Chieftan2.jpg
i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii28/Special-K65/Armor/Meduim/Cheiftan.jpg

These next two show the later turret armor add on package known as "Stillbrew".  The one with the goofy camo is showing the pattern used in Berlin.  It was found to be an extremely effective camo pattern for operating in urban environments.

i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii28/Special-K65/Armor/Meduim/chief_with_stillbrew_armour.jpg
i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii28/Special-K65/Armor/Meduim/chieftain-17.jpg

-K

Thanks man!

Link Posted: 3/12/2008 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Rocket artillery!

*hint* MLRS!

MLRS

BM-21

-K
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#30]
nice
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Just tagging in.

I remember Duckhunters well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Armor Recon:  Rooikat.  A capable device.

Just plain old & ugly: The Ontos. Hell of a six-shooter though...

Lem  
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
... Pilot

... Co-pilot gunner

AH-64 Apache Instrument panels; nice, but this is an ARMOR thread, not a helicopter thread; you guys had yours already

... you FAIL

... that's EXACTLY what is portrayed in the photos: ARMOR

The main-damn reason pilots (and their wives) love us (not ordnance as many would believe)
... That is ARMOR, son (Silicon carbide & Kevlar™ to be exact)

Oh... Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuusa me! Did not mean to ruffle your delicate feathers.

Now, back to the topic at hand...

M109A2 SPH

M992A2 FAASV

... And before that.

M548 Cargo Carrier

M730 Chaparral Missile Launcher (another oldie for you US Army farts)

And another, M728 CEV.

And for the last oldie of the night, I give you...

The M548 Tracked launcher for the MIM-23 HAWK Missile System.

Good night.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
WWII, US Tank destroyers

M-10

M-36

M-18 Hellcat

-K
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Smerch
i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii28/Special-K65/Armor/ARTY/smerch1.jpg

-K

Smerch = Tornado (in Russian)

Comes from the word smert', which means death.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top