Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2008 2:10:39 AM EDT
Out of curiosity do they make them?  If you didn't own a rifle or handgun would they be useful?  Is a shotgun slug to slow/wide to take advantage of the design?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity do they make them?  If you didn't own a rifle or handgun would they be useful?  Is a shotgun slug to slow/wide to take advantage of the design?

They do make them, my brother has some on the side saddle of his mossberg.  I can take some pics when I get home if you would like.

As for usefullness, I think they would put a hurting on anything that you can hit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:16:36 AM EDT
[#2]
just google image searched "hollow point shotgun slugs" and these were on the first page-

this what you mean though?

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I'm more curious about the rifled slugs and if they would have a purpose over normal slugs or 00 shot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:32:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Several brands of sabot slugs are hollow point. Rifled Foster type slugs mostly have a depression in the tip that is referred to as a "hollow point".
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:53:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Rifled Foster type slugs do not expand well in my experience.  They are too hard.  I've seen one go through lots of meat and not expand a bit.  Lightfields on the other hand...
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:03:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Of all the slugs I've purchased the only ones that weren't hollow point were the sabots. All of the rifle slugs I've bought were hollow point
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:21:39 AM EDT
[#7]
In my experience, Foster type slugs tend to deform, rather than expand.

Here are a few pics of some sabots with HP slugs.  There are several more available.  Winchester makes a 400 gr. "Platinum Tip", which is the same style I use in my 500 S&W mag.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]
From what I understand, Foster-style slugs do not expand front-to-back the same as a handgun bullet.  They are built like a cup with a hollow in the rear, due to the all-lead construction, the rear will crush and deform towards the front when sufficient resistance is experienced, causing expansion.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Does a brick really need to be a hollow point???

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When 437.5 grains at 1900 fps is just not enough.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:42:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1900 fPS?!  what 12 gauges are shooting this?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Winchester Partition Golds are rated at 1900 fps...and that's in the 2 3/4 version...get 2000 fps (stated) out of the 3" (God have mercy on your shoulder) Magnums.

The 2 3/4 ones kick like a mule.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't know 12 gauge slugs went nearly that fast.

So for home defense if you shot someone with a 12 gauge slug it's gonna hurt like hell.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
just google image searched "hollow point shotgun slugs" and these were on the first page-

http://www.bulletswage.com/images/slugs3a.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/highres/644639.jpg

Hmmm...I wonder if the designer of the first one watched Flash Gordon as a kid?

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I used a Winchester 12ga  385 gr sabot to kill my buck this year.  From 155 m, it entered his neck and traveled through his body and almost exited his hind quarter.  Amazing penetration.  The slug was fired out of a rifled barrel, and expanded perfectly (it looked exactly like the old Winchester Black Talon round after you fired it into a jug of water).  

Be aware, that these things hurt like hell to fire out of lightweight weapon like the H&R Tracker II.  The most I fired in one day was 6, and I was DONE.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:10:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/VACaver/flashgordonshipside2.jpg

The resemblance is uncanny.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Winchester Partition Golds are rated at 1900 fps...and that's in the 2 3/4 version...get 2000 fps (stated) out of the 3" (God have mercy on your shoulder) Magnums.

The 2 3/4 ones kick like a mule.

Winchester FTW.

I use the Winchester Supreme rifle ammo and turkey loads, guess I'll add slugs to the list as well.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I used a Winchester 12ga  385 gr sabot to kill my buck this year.  From 155 m, it entered his neck and traveled through his body and almost exited his hind quarter.  Amazing penetration.  The slug was fired out of a rifled barrel, and expanded perfectly (it looked exactly like the old Winchester Black Talon round after you fired it into a jug of water).  

Be aware, that these things hurt like hell to fire out of lightweight weapon like the H&R Tracker II.  The most I fired in one day was 6, and I was DONE.

Naaaaa.  Just shoot a couple 3.5" mag turkey loads first.  The recoil from the slugs will feel soft after that.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/VACaver/flashgordonshipside2.jpg

Flash Gordon pic and a Johhny Quest Avatar?

EXCELLENT  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Rifled slugs are constructed like a badminton shuttlecock. It needs to have a weight forward design to be stable. I'd imaging a large cavity for a hollow point wouldn't help with accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:18:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1900 fPS?!  what 12 gauges are shooting this?

The ones shooting those slugs.  [>:/]

ETA:  Why the heck does that little smiley not show up?  

ETA AGAIN:  Looks like the plain editor doesn't do some smilies correctly.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#22]
The Remington Buckhammers are pretty bad-ass as well.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Naaaaa.  Just shoot a couple 3.5" mag turkey loads first.  The recoil from the slugs will feel soft after that.  

I need to do something.  I've never felt such a sharp, painful recoil in my life-despite a thick recoil pad.  True, the Tracker II is really light, but firing those rounds was quite the experience.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to do something.  I've never felt such a sharp, painful recoil in my life-despite a thick recoil pad.  True, the Tracker II is really light, but firing those rounds was quite the experience.  

Yeah, you need to shoot different slugs!  I stopped using those things!  (handloaded some buckhammer-type sabots)

Or get one of the heavy-barreled H&R Ultra Slug Hunters...weight takes some away...
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#25]
These are the Sabots I used this season.

Entrance wound on the 4-pointer. The hole was about the size of a quater and well pronounced all the way into the chest cavity. Exit wound was a bloody mess about 2.5 inches wide, the picture didn't turn out. The shot went in the front shoulder and out between the 2nd and 3rd last ribs.

12ga 3in Federal Premium Sabots with Barnes eXpander and plastic tip. $10 a box at Fleet Farm.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#27]
So sabots require a threaded barrel while shot and slugs require a smooth bore?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#29]
They're made, but a  12 ga, 1 oz slug @ 1680 fps = .73 caliber, 438gr projectile with 2500+ lbs muzzle energy.

You're going to blow a 3/4 inch hole in whatever you hit, I don't think expansion is going to be an issue.  There are much more technologically advanced slugs, but an ounce of lead at mach 1.5+ kills shit dead.

12ga.Shotgun slug vs gallon of water- super slow motion

Winchester Super-X Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1 oz Rifled Slug Box of 5

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Question:  what chokes are used with what.  I'm unsure about using a slug out of the 'most-closed' (improved?) choke.  

Anyone with a basic run-down?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll add Lightfield to the list of "That's Gonna Hurt". From the box of their Commander IDS: 465ga, 1,800 f\sec, Muzzle energy is 3346 FT/LB.
Nice clover leaf at 100yds out of my Pardner Tracker II Plus.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So sabots require a threaded barrel while shot and slugs require a smooth bore?

Sabots require a rifled barrel.  Rifled slugs work fine in a rifled barrel or a smooth.  I have a Mossberg 695 bolt action rifled barrel 12 ga that I have sent over 100 rifled lead slugs through without cleaning and the barrel is not coated in lead and the sucker is very accurate.

In before a bunch of people that have never done it, but heard other people say rifled slugs in a rifled barrel causes bad leading, tell me I am full of shit.

I have done it. Remington Sluggers rifled slugs. Over 100 lugs without cleaning. The barrel is fine, and its accuracy is great.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I will never ever volunteer to be shot with one.

I imagine getting shot with one of those will ruin your day.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#34]
The current issue of American Hunter has some info about slug guns.  They were basically saying in that article that a 20ga rifled slug has about the same energy as a 30-30.  Most are equivalent or more than the 45-70.  I'm just regurgitating what I remember from the article here.  Those are not my words.  

I have shot 2 deer with slugs and both dropped in their tracks with big vent holes and liquid innards as a result.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you need to shoot different slugs!  I stopped using those things!  (handloaded some buckhammer-type sabots)

Or get one of the heavy-barreled H&R Ultra Slug Hunters...weight takes some away...

Big time.  I killed my deer with my friends Ultra Slug rifle.  In fact, I fired from the prone with bare elbows resting on lava rock.  No abbrasions, though.  The wieght of nine pounds makes a big difference.  You gotta love those 10ga barrel blanks.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big time.  I killed my deer with my friends Ultra Slug rifle.  In fact, I fired from the prone with bare elbows resting on lava rock.  No abbrasions, though.  The wieght of nine pounds makes a big difference.  You gotta love those 10ga barrel blanks.  

H&R got themselves a good idea there...I would have one if I could justify the difference...shooting it 1 or 2 times a year.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

H&R got themselves a good idea there...I would have one if I could justify the difference...shooting it 1 or 2 times a year.  

I really, really recommend it if you can.  I paid $200.00 for the Tracker II.  It's open sights only, and light to carry.  If you only shoot it once, it'll be fine.

But that Ultra Slug Gun is the cat's ass.  I didn't mind carrying it at all.  I wish it had iron sights, but still, there's something attractive about it just the same.  I bet you wouldn't pay any more than $250.00 for one.  I'm getting one because where I hunt is short-range weapons only (slug, bow, sharp sticks, ect..).  Most everybody around here sees that in the regs and thinks "No way, I need my 7mm Mag with my 3X9 'scope", and head off to the hills with the other 87,000,000 slobs.  I go where the people aren't.  That's why I love that thing.  Good to at least 200 m.  I'll keep the Tracker II as a loaner, but that 10 ga barrel blank soaks up alot of recoil.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used a Winchester 12ga 385 gr sabot to kill my buck this year. From 155 m, it entered his neck and traveled through his body and almost exited his hind quarter. Amazing penetration. The slug was fired out of a rifled barrel, and expanded perfectly (it looked exactly like the old Winchester Black Talon round after you fired it into a jug of water).

Be aware, that these things hurt like hell to fire out of lightweight weapon like the H&R Tracker II. The most I fired in one day was 6, and I was DONE.

Naaaaa. Just shoot a couple 3.5" mag turkey loads first. The recoil from the slugs will feel soft after that.

That's what I shot to test out the recoil reduction system on my Berretta Extrema.  Eh, yeah, sure.  That was my post in the "Worst recoil you've experienced" thread last week.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#39]
So...shotgun is the way to go for a grizzly then, is that what this thread is telling me?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Of the 5 or 6 brands I tested for accuracy in my 1187, the Winchester Supreme Partition Golds had the worst recoil by far.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#41]
H&R Ultra slug is the way to go IMHO.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a 20ga H&R Tracker I - smoothbore with rifle sights.  I shoot the cheap Foster-type rifled slugs and get a tennis-ball sized group at 50 yards.  I probably wouldn't shoot past 100 yards with it.  I have only hunted with it a few times and never had the good fortune to see a legal buck while carrying it.  It is a nice lightweight thing to carry.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Question:  what chokes are used with what.  I'm unsure about using a slug out of the 'most-closed' (improved?) choke...

You SHOULD be ok, even with an improved choke. Supposedly, they make the slugs undersized to fit with closed chokes in. I'd open it up though. You could get a rifled choke, or a bore (i think, it might be called barrel) choke.

I've never shot slugs out of a bbl with a choke in it*, but some guys I hunt with do. I've never seen anyone blow out their choke doing so.

*ETA: Don't fire a slug or anything our of your bbl without a choke in if your bbl will take a choke. This will ruin the threading.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
H&R Ultra slug is the way to go IMHO.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z248/19Black19/DSC00519.jpg

Very nice buck Black19.  He looks pretty plump-nice rack too.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Improved cylinder is actually the "most open" readily available choke.  It's what most rifled slugs are shot through.

Quoted:
Question:  what chokes are used with what.  I'm unsure about using a slug out of the 'most-closed' (improved?) choke.  

Anyone with a basic run-down?

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#47]
i've fired about a billion slugs through a full choked 870.  you're not gonna hurt the gun by doing it, if that's what your asking (although i wouldn't try it in a extra full/Turkey choke).  I think you just gotta experiment to find what slugs will work best with your bbl/choke combo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top