Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2009 10:40:05 AM EDT
While my son and I were visiting my mom in Pittspurgh, we got a chance to visit the Flight 93 Memorial, located a couple miles from Shanksville, PA.

Very sobering experience.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Memorial Wall, located on the south side of the Memorial area:

Closeup of the Flight 93 Flag:

Looking east, Memorial Wall on right, NPS visitor center rear, benches with the Flight 93 hero's names.  My son is taking the closeup of the Flight 93 flag pic shown above.

Plaque honoring the Flight 93 hero's (closeup to follow shortly).  The small white dot on the center horizon just before the tree line is the actual crash site; the white dot is actually a USA flag.  The area is considered hollowed ground and visitor's aren't allowed in the area; this is as close as you get to the crash site.

Closeup of the plaque shown above.  Note the pins, medals etc. laid on top.  The NPS collects these items and saves them (see following pic).

NPS Tribute sign:

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
We named the post office after Mr. Burnett.  He's the one that said "Let's Roll".  (He went to the high school down the street from the post office in Bloomington, MN.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top