Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2009 12:48:12 PM EDT
Can someone explain what a Prison Trustee is?  I've heard the term floating around, but what is the difference between a Trustee and a regular Prisoner?
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It usual means that they have "jobs" that they are responsible for around the prison/jail. In exchange they get certain privileges, and usually live separate from the other prisoners.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It usual means that they have "jobs" that they are responsible for around the prison/jail. In exchange they get certain privileges, and usually live separate from the other prisoners.

Yep, usually people on good behavior and their time is winding down. If you go down to your local jail you will see them mopping the intake area, cleaning patrol cars and doing the lawn. Different jurisdictions have different rules. YMMV

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

, but what is the difference between a Trustee and a regular Prisoner?

A prisoner that can be trusted, and given a job duty or responsibility.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Just don't let him get on a bus by himself of arfcom will go nuts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it usually a prisoner who has a long sentence (life or multiple life sentences) or someone who has a relatively short sentence (20 years or less) ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't you seen shawshank redemption?
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Haven't you seen shawshank redemption?

I have, but its a movie, so i thought i'd ask the Hive mind.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]
crazy how the prison system works...

trust should not be in the word trustee
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Run some searches about how prisoners are classified.

Lots of stuff goes into how they get classified.

There is more to prisons than just sticking someone in a cell.  Different levels are treated differently.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Usually non-violent offenders who pose little risk to staff and have proven themselves at behaving in the GP.  Often seen as a brown-noser by the problem cases.

They are allowed a greater degree of freedom to perform their duties.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#11]
They talk to you all nice and sweet and will even walk with you to chow hall.

Then after the cell door closes they put the screws to you and make you pay for protection and if you dont pay they will take your doughnut, by force

They said I had a purty mouth and I really thought they wanted to be my friend...

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I've worked in Detentions/Corrections for 17 years so here is my take on the definition of a trustee.  Generally, a trustee is a "short timer" with a definitive release date and lots of good time to take.  They are usually sentenced on a misd or a low level felony and are not deemed an escape risk and their charge is not considered violent or sensitive.  They standards change depending on type of prison and length of sentence.  I still have problems with the term "trustee".  Placing trust in a convict sometimes is like playing Russian roulette.  They are given jobs in the institution that allow them to go outside the perimeter and have "freedom of movement" in the institution delivering mail/canteen, etc.  Most also have huber added to their judgement of conviction which allows community access.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Mrs. Winmag works at the joint, and I asked her.  She says it is an offender that is allowed to go outside the gate.  They have certain areas that are outside the unit that need mowed and cleaned up.  The trustees are the ones that do this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Here they get "gain time" . For every three eight hour shifts they "work" they get one day off their sentence.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#15]
It is trusty or trusties. Not trustee- that would be someone who handles a trust.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here they get "gain time" . For every three eight hour shifts they "work" they get one day off their sentence.

Whats the reason for getting time off their sentence?  The whole point of being in prison is to pay your debt to society, not try to get them in and out as quick as we can. Is this to help relieve overcrowded prisons?  

IMO a better plan would be, if they work they get to eat, if not its bread and water.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Trustee should be stricken from the corrections lexicon.  I don't trust them and to use the term implies trust.  Typically they are inmate workers, doing menial chores around the prison or jail.  They are usually sentenced inmates who pose little threat to staff and are at lessened risk of escape.  Job assignment and level of staff supervision is determined by classification and length of sentence as one of the earlier posters mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats the reason for getting time off their sentence?  The whole point of being in prison is to pay your debt to society, not try to get them in and out as quick as we can. Is this to help relieve overcrowded prisons?  

IMO a better plan would be, if they work they get to eat, if not its bread and water.

Many states have some time of good behavior or work time that reduces the length of sentence in exchange for good and constructive behavior.  It is designed to help you reduce inmate behavior problems.  It provides a positive goal that can be taken away for rule violations.  Good and work time do not really help you manage your population numbers, but they do affect your average length of stay for your sentenced inmates.

ETA:  The 8th Amendment comes into play when you start with the bread and water thing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

also used as a tool to entice inmates to behave. Mis-behave and you stay longer. Can't beat them anymore (negative re-enforcement) so you use positive re-enforcement. WJ
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can someone explain what a Prison Trustee is?  I've heard the term floating around, but what is the difference between a Trustee and a regular Prisoner?

Simple enough trustee = Mule

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To save some money....here they do landscaping, wash patrol cars, paint, clean, fill the food trays for the rest of the jail, laundry. We usually have Community Service Officers supervising them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simple enough trustee = Mule

They get strip searched when they come back into the housing unit. There still has been some contraband issues.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is it usually a prisoner who has a long sentence (life or multiple life sentences)

Nope. Would you trust somebody with that kind of sentence not to haul ass if given the chance?

or someone who has a relatively short sentence (20 years or less) ?

If you think anything ove three years is short you are on crack.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#24]
i got a bunch of them on my unit.short timers  who are getting out on their cr date or lifers that have gone long enough that they are conditioned to the prison system. generally they have a job in the prison that will allow them to get hold of contraband if they really wanted tobut they have too much to lose.
yep prison is a strange place
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it usually a prisoner who has a long sentence (life or multiple life sentences)

Nope. Would you trust somebody with that kind of sentence not to haul ass if given the chance?

Agreed.  Anything over 1 year is a LONG time to watch your cornhole.  

To be a trustee here in LA you have to have less than 2 years on your sentence...

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#26]

They are the inmate workers.. we prefer not to call them "trustees" as no inmate can be "trusted"..

They hold various jobs in the facility.. do laundry, car washes, meal prep & pass, clean, mop etc...

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I`m not sure but isn`t he the one who holds the lube while the others get in line..not sure
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Trustee should be stricken from the corrections lexicon.  I don't trust them and to use the term implies trust.  Typically they are inmate workers, doing menial chores around the prison or jail.  They are usually sentenced inmates who pose little threat to staff and are at lessened risk of escape.  Job assignment and level of staff supervision is determined by classification and length of sentence as one of the earlier posters mentioned.

We call them Inmate Workers or Red Suits- they wear red and the other inmates where blue. You don't her "trusty" too much around my jail. Some of these guys are far shadier than the regular inmates. The county gives all the inmates 6 days of Gain Time for good behavior. The Workers get an additional 6 days. We do work them though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
, but what is the difference between a Trustee and a regular Prisoner?

A prisoner that can be trusted, and given a job duty or responsibility.

Ummm, sorry just because we call them trustees does not me we can trust them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#31]
What do you call an Inmate with no arms ?

Trustworthy    

Seriously: In the Facility where I work, we have  " Workers "  they can have a Work Assignment like the Kitchen, Laundry, Commissary, General Cleaning Details, New Inmate Booking Area

Some Inmates will be "Workers" only in their Housing Areas

A " Trustee " is an Inmate who gets Access outside the Jail but reamins on the " Compound "
They will work outside performing Landscaping, Cleaning Details, Delivering Food and Supplies
They will be issued a special ID Card only for the Day, Indentifying them as a " Trustee " granting them access to areas where other Inmates cannot go, regardless of that they are suppossed to be under Direct Supervision at all times

Now the County has hired " Custodians " to perform some of these jobs

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember one in Angola State Penitentiary that lived in a small cabin on one of the lakes in the prison. His job was to run trot lines jug lines, and hoop nets to catch fish for the prison. This guy had a boat with a motor, trailer and even a pickup truck that he could leave the prison in to get his supplies.

Now if you just had to go to prison, this would be the job to look for!
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Anything over 1 year is a LONG time to watch your cornhole.  

To be a trustee here in LA you have to have less than 2 years on your sentence...

I guess 20 years really isn't short, When i was thinking short in comparison to a life sentence or multiple life sentences
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#34]
We have inmate workers in PA, not trustees. I have a group of six inmates who do janitorial services beyond the secure perimeter every night. It's basically mop the floor, scrub the shitters/pissers and empty the garbage kind of stuff. These guys have a year to six months less to do on their sentences and ALL are non violent offenders. They sometimes need prodding (not physically, but verbally) to get the job done. You develop a rapport with them, but you NEVER TRUST THEM. Hell, I don't trust most of the staff I work with to cover my back, let alone the inmates.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#35]
My Dad's Department used to use Trustees, but they came from County (ie Jail timers) and not State (ie Prison).  Usually they were drunks who would get out for a while, do something and get sent back, then the county would send them back to the city where they would be a custodian around the station, adjacent fire station and  City Hall.  One of them did it so much he should probably have earned a pension.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top