Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2009 12:05:52 PM EDT

http://www.gossipgamers.com/fallout-3-cosplay-brotherhood-of-steel-power-armor/

So...how practical is power armor in a real combat situation?
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd rather have Starship Troopers powered armor.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd rather have Adeptes Astartes power armor.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#3]
If you could keep the wearer cool and provide sufficient battery life, it'd be amazing.  Small enough to not be RPG magnets, but strong enough to not fatigue the wearer by heavy loads and to be nearly fully armored with built in comms, low light ability, air filtration, etc.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to see real power armor, the tech is in the beginning stages by now I'm sure.  All armor is a balanced trade off though, it will have gaps and limitations.  Load bearing I suspect would be its best feature.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'd like to see real power armor, the tech is in the beginning stages by now I'm sure.  All armor is a balanced trade off though, it will have gaps and limitations.  Load bearing I suspect would be its best feature.

Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ding Ding Winner. some Mark IV Luna Wolves gear definitely.

Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Some people used to make sweet kick ass armor replicas from sci-fi stuff.

I remember when they were making Halo armor replicas and MS told them to cease and desist.

They also have some stuff from Final Fantasy The Spirits Within.

Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Power armor would be good but only in niche roles...  First off the cost would make it impractical for every infantryman.  Second, it'd be big and bulky; not good for snipers or people that need to get in and out unseen or unheard.  

Third, weight and logistics...  Helo's have enough trouble moving 'unpowered' infantrymen to and from the battlefield.  Armor would only add weight.  Plus, spare parts and repair equipment would be a nightmare.  We don't know yet how much trouble theyd' be to fix in a hurry, or what parts will break faster than others, and so on and so forth.

If anything, soldiers in powered armor would be a niche infantry-MOS; likely carrying heavier weapons like machine guns, and anti-tank weapons.  Possibly comm gear and medical equipment.  Everybody else gets standard issue stuff.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
The Fallout 3 design looks particularly worthless. WH40k style armor is probably closer to what it would eventually look like. The FO3 stuff simply isn't thick enough to accomodate the load bearing stuff, the armor, AND a human being inside unless he's built like Kate Moss.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If anything, soldiers in powered armor would be a niche infantry-MOS; likely carrying heavier weapons like machine guns, and anti-tank weapons.  Possibly comm gear and medical equipment.  Everybody else gets standard issue stuff.

Again, see Adeptus Astartes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Fallout 3 design looks particularly worthless. WH40k style armor is probably closer to what it would eventually look like. The FO3 stuff simply isn't thick enough to accomodate the load bearing stuff, the armor, AND a human being inside unless he's built like Kate Moss.

As the tech gets more advanced and compact the tech will get smaller, heavy infantry that cannot maneuver where un-encumbered soldiers are forced to fight are not very useful.  Also as someone already pointed out if they are too big the they are magnets anti-armor weapons.

Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are going to wish for power armour, go for the good stuff.  A Hymn Before Battle (Posleen War Series) by John Ringo has some of the better powered infantry armour around.  This stuff would be more than a match for the armour in Starship Troopers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Cosplay... I laugh.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Starship Troopers armor has jump jets, machine guns, flamethrowers, bomb racks, missile launchers, and tactical nukes all built in. And those are grunt troops, not uber-awesome elite forces like the Space Marines.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I want one of those in my front lawn.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#16]
My vote goes to the Iron Man suit.

Link Posted: 7/4/2009 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Meh, in any role where power armor would make sense running the thing remotely makes more.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Half of that crap looks less than useful.  What purpose do the shoulderpads fulfill?  The exposed air lines are just begging to be cut by shrapnel or any adversary, the  helmet is too big in the front and has too many penetrations through the armor, the gloves are substandard and the breastplate has too many terrain features (i.e., too many places where an adversary can grab onto, a pointed weapon like sword or spear can get caught and funneled towards  the wearer, or where a blast wave can find a weakness).

I'm with Grimjaw5––Johnny Ringo put a lot of thought into the design features of powered armor and what it needs to look like, and this aint it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a fan of the halo MJOLINR armor. but I root for mecha (or gundams,armslaves,knightmare frames,power suits whatever anime you prefer) as the next gen for ground warfare.
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Go old school with Mechwarrior Elementals.

Link Posted: 7/4/2009 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Unless the suit was one which incorporates bio-mechanics which enable the wearer to maneuver with the 500 extra pounds, I'd say it isn't very practical.

They'd be better served working on force-fields for the individual troops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top