Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2009 8:38:34 AM EDT
I'm sure some people here have encountered their door to door sales tactics... well here is my AAR:

A beached whale and a semi-hot chick walked into the office and I immediately recognized that they were solicitors.  Our receptionist was on the phone, so I said, "can I help you guys?"

They beelined to my office and before they could make it in the door, beached whale starts his pitch.  He sounded professional enough, but I heard "blah blah blah office supplies blah blah blah"
so I replied, "we're good, no thanks"

That wasn't good enough for them.  They continued on to ask me who makes the buying decisions, and I covered for my boss and said well the buyer is with a client right now, but we are good.

Still no dice.  Semi-hottie asks if they could come back later today, and I said "no, that will not be necessary or welcome.  We don't take solicitations."

They persist... At this point all I hear is my head steaming and blah blah blah so I pound my fist on the desk, look semi-hottie square in the eyes and say:

"LOOK, I'm trying to be nice here.  I don't want to buy your SHIT, I don't want to hear your PITCH, I don't want you come back, and GET OUT RIGHT NOW!"

Beached whale tried to take one of my cards and I gave a quick command like I do to my dog - "HEY! NO!" and wagged my finger, and said, "you don't need that!"

And they promptly left.  Office erupts in laughter, full of "atta boy!"

I felt sorta bad for them.  I googled "quill office supplies" and got a ton of stories about their door to door antics, and their shady employment practices, and now I feel really bad for the beached whale and semi-hottie.  I don't feel bad for what I said or how I acted, but I do feel sorry for people who get suckered into jobs like that.  There is nothing worse to do than door to door sales and the constant rejection.  Especially if you are semi hot.  The fatty is used to it.

Rip off report about quill

the door to door salesman from hell
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
There is nothing worse to do than door to door sales and the constant rejection.  Especially if you are semi hot.  The fatty is used to it.

Rant was a 7/10 until then. Now it's a 10.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I work for Quill (IT department, not sales!)

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Your company ought to end the door-to-door sales pronto.  It is disrespectful to your potential clients.  I did not seek out their solicitation, and their visit was unwelcome.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Get the tar and feathers!  
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#5]
When I had a small engineering company a few years ago, I would just point to the door while moving toward the solicitors. Never said a word. They got the message.

The worst were the ones selling "art". They required special attention. Our office was on the 6th floor, right next to a stairwell. Sometimes the "art" would be removed to the stairwell.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I had a small engineering company a few years ago, I would just point to the door while moving toward the solicitors. Never said a word. They got the message.

The worst were the ones selling "art". They required special attention. Our office was on the 6th floor, right next to a stairwell. Sometimes the "art" would be removed to the stairwell.

I wish I had a direct view of the door as people walked in, but I have to assume they are clients first, listen to the first sentence, and then decide how to act.  I'm also the only "alpha" person in the office (even my boss is a laydown) so I am usually the one who pushes the eject button on solicitors.

The worst solicitor I've ever had was a guy who was selling a cleaning product.  He shook my hand and CRUSHED my fingers.  I wear a ring with my initials on it and I thought he bent my ring.  I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose.  ASSHOLES.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your company ought to end the door-to-door sales pronto.  It is disrespectful to your potential clients.  I did not seek out their solicitation, and their visit was unwelcome.

and explain to them what a "no soliciting" sign on the front door means, they really have no clue....

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

and explain to them what a "no soliciting" sign on the front door means, they really have no clue....

they are often taught to ignore such signs or claim they didn't notice and appologize, and ask for an appt with the buyer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

they are often taught to ignore such signs or claim they didn't notice and appologize, and ask for an appt with the buyer.

Some people say that those are the ones you really want to solicit.  They put the sign up because someone in that place will buy if you go in there and they don't want to give you the chance.  I'm not saying that's true, but that's what some people say.  That probably applies more to houses with housewives at home, but also at offices.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sure outside sales is handled by third party.  The sales people you're seeing and hearing about are actually employees of companies that are contracted to do it.  I may take the links you posted over to the director of sales and see what he says.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to have an employee/sales guy that treated these encounters like sport.  He would never really listen to them but always try to hook up w/ the hotter chicky.  It was informative & fun to watch.

A few years later we had a cool employee/sales guy that was border line flaming queen.  He would absolutely ignore the crap out of the pitch & hit on the dude .  If it was a two man sales team he would play one over the other.  But if it was a male female sales team he would hit on the dude while trashing the chicks outfit.  Again entertaining to watch.

If the sales pitch made it past the front guys then they had to deal w/ my Pop...King of the Old Fart ornery club tell it like it is.  Again good fun to watch.

7mm
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure outside sales is handled by third party.  The sales people you're seeing and hearing about are actually employees of companies that are contracted to do it.  I may take the links you posted over to the director of sales and see what he says.

contracted by a third party that uses "quill" in their pitch, thereby making your company's image piss poor.  Don't mean to sock you in the face, but dor to door sales is desperation imo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top