Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/23/2009 7:15:11 AM EDT
Last night a guy asks me if Georgia had police gold cards.

I was like what?

He is from Jersey and claimed if you are a family member of a police officer you can get a gold card

that gets you out of trouble like DUI.  Just flash the card and all your problems go away.

I took a photo of his card, let me post it soon.  Anyone know about this?  Sounds like a scam.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You dont have one..???
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a thing called "Courtesy Cards" but they will hardly get you out of much.

Getting out of a DUI  waving your badge won't even get you out of that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LOL

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#5]
My best friend is from NY, he's told me several stories about using some kind of sticker or card that his Dad gave him when he was in the NY State Police.  I have no reason to doubt his word in any way, so it must be true in some places.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]
30 years ago in NJ I had some kind of card that a LEO gave me.

Was told to be very careful about using it.  It was like a "friend of LE" card.

I have no idea where it ever went.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the one in the Monopoly deck.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw a pretty fiesty bumper sticker on a pick-up truck the other day.

Officer, will this sticker saying
SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT
keep you from writing me a ticket?
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]
They were talking about this on the local radio station a few morning ago.  Said they are available at Spencer's.  Maybe they used to be "real", but now they are just a novelty item.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#13]
There was some Commercial truck driver bitching about the 1000's of dollars the DOT fined him that day. He said it was totally not fair cause he spent big money on all those pro LEO stickers that people put on their bumpers after donating to so and so fund.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Discretion.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#16]
IIRC, some LEOs here have posted that they will cut a lot of slack to Veteran/Purple Heart/Bronze Star, etc. plate holders.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#17]
My step brother is the sheriff of the county that I live in and my brother is a narcotics detective here. None of that has helped me worth a damn as far as tickets go.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I did a few ride-alongs with a buddy of mine. On one of those ride-alongs he pulled over a car that turned out to be the family of one of the guys he worked with. Surprisingly enough, they weren't even given a warning.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I come from a family full of LEOs. There may be some sort of ID for family members depending on the department, but good luck getting out of a DUI. The stickers dont mean much anymore because people started using them once the found out what they meant.

ETA- If I screw up, i deserve what I get. Officer DISCRETION is what it comes down to. Good luck flashing your card expecting to get away with stuff.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm in New york, and I have friends that have them, and they do work around here. A DUI or something I don't know about.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#21]
FOP cards and license plate emblems are prevelant up here in the northeast.

If you are an immediate family member you might get a break on a ticket.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#22]
No...........mine is Platinum. LOL. Yeah, this is a surefire way to get your career light button pushed. Heck, the other day, a very nice lady who just bought an old gas station west of town offered me a

50% discount when I went in to purchase some Gatorade. I told her that my office specifically prohibits deputies from taking ANY gratuities. I was very nice and thankful about it. She stated she lived

in Georgia her whole life before moving out here. She stated that its pretty much a way of life there that police get 50% discounts on purchases as thanks for what we do and for patronizing stores. I

was gobsmacked! Never heard of such a thing out here. Any Georgia LEOs have input?
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Around here, police family vehicles will have either the FOP license plate, and/or badge on the plate, that ensures they won't get pulled over.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#25]
In the 80's I was close friends with the brother of a Cleveland cop.

He gave me what was titled a "courtesy card".  When I got pulled over I'd hand over the card - LEO would take it & let me go.  Was accepted w/o question in Cleveland and the surrounding ‘burbs.

Card would then go back to my friend's brother (had his name) and he would decide if he would give it back to me.  Ended up having it for years.

Thought is was great back then.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh, I love when I pull over a vetearan and they throw out the "I'm a veteran" card. I say, "Really, thank you for your service, how long were you in?" I usually get an answer like, "Four years". I then

reply, "That's terrific, I served 25". They don't say much after that. Our state has veteran, National Guard, and service ribbon plates (MOH, SS, BS, etc.) Those I deal with on a case by case

basis. My goal is to leave the contactee knowing why they got a citation and I get a "Thank you" more often than not, even when they're cited.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#27]
They exist in NY. I doubt you'll get out of a DUI, but I have been in a car where it worked on a speeding ticket. Girl's dad died in the line of duty. It has the supporting officer's name on it and a year.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#28]
it's not what you show, it's who you blow.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My step brother is the sheriff of the county that I live in and my brother is a narcotics detective here. None of that has helped me worth a damn as far as tickets go.

Most cops hate dope cops..............as you learned.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Around here, police family vehicles will have either the FOP license plate, and/or badge on the plate, that ensures they won't get pulled over.

VA is known for not giving breaks. I know many officers that have been written for minor traffic violations while visiting or driving through.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#32]
A friend I used to run around with when I was younger used "Do you know officer XXXX? He's my brother" to pretty good effect on a few occasions.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I know of several depts around here that have those, and they MAY get you off of a small infraction(tint, 5 over ect) but nothing like a DUI
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Getting out of a DUI
waving your badge won't even get you out of that.

It will in CT

Lots of troopers here write a "please extend your courtesy" note on the back of their buisness cards with a phone number to call. Those get accepted without question most of the time as long as it isn't a DUI stop.

Lots of people also put those "Thin blue line" stickers on their cars. It works for the most part.

My dad was a LEO in CT, but he worked with some shady people.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#35]
The metal cards are for real, my BIL got them for all the family members. I highly doubt any card will get you out of a DUI.  Probably help with any other infraction though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I have used my brothers card NUMEROUS times to get out of tickets.....

1 time I was in uniform on my way to drill so cthat was a factor as well.....

Other times thay have said "thats nice" and given me tickets....

However I havent gotten a ticket in years..
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw a pretty fiesty bumper sticker on a pick-up truck the other day.

Officer, will this sticker saying
SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT
keep you from writing me a ticket?

No.

Do people really believe this shit?
LOL!

It was obviously meant as a joke.  A humorous commentary on all the people who put the real suport stickers on their car.   I laughed at it and so did you.  So it worked.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Getting out of a DUI waving your badge won't even get you out of that.

It will in CT

Lots of troopers here write a "please extend your courtesy" note on the back of their buisness cards with a phone number to call. Those get accepted without question most of the time as long as it isn't a DUI stop.

Lots of people also put those "Thin blue line" stickers on their cars. It works for the most part.

My dad was a LEO in CT, but he worked with some shady people.

DUI aren't taken lightly around here.  mayors, police chiefs, fellow officers, and councilmen all have been locked up for DUIs.

I use to have the FOP emblem on my plate.  never got me out of anything other than tint.  tint has since been removed due to the stops however.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#40]
I can tell you from experience that Cub Scout leader uniforms get some professional courtesy too.

"Running late to the campout?"

Exactly!
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Coworker has a PA State Police patch in his back window.  Supposedly they are handed out by State Police to people they like/trust.  He knows several cops one of which is a State Trooper.  I think it's BS (his story) but he hasn't been pulled over yet to let me know how it works.

Something tells me it doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#42]
No such thing in Iowa and the Des Moines Register would have a cow if there was.  

On top of which,  being related to LEO does not cure stupid.  Hell, being an LEO doesn't always help.  DOT Enforcement Lt got popped for DUI about a month ago.  He may save his job but its going to be tough.
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:40:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I can tell you from experience that Cub Scout leader uniforms get some professional courtesy too.

Exactly!

Maybe they just feel bad writing a ticket to a man wearing a neck-kerchief
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly!

Maybe they just feel bad writing a ticket to a man wearing a neck-kerchief

That's not part of the leader uniform.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'm in New york, and I have friends that have them, and they do work around here. A DUI or something I don't know about.

I grew up in New York, my dad is retired off the job. I always carried a similar card in my wallet, my mother had a miniature copy of my dad's badge, they were referred to as "courtesy shields"  My card has gotten me out of traffic tickets and it got me out of a DUI once  (as much as I hate to admit it). FWIW, I don't really drink anymore, much less drive afterwards.

This was about 10 years ago when I was back in town visiting family. I was returning from a night out with friends and foolishly decided to drive the 3 blocks from the bar to the house I was staying at. Got pulled over at ~4am for an illegal U turn. Handed the officer my DL, paperwork for the rental car and my card.

He asked me who in my family was on the job, I told him my dad was retired. He looked at my license again and recognized the name (my dad and I have the same name, first and last). He asked me how my dad was doing, how my grandmother was and where I was staying. I pointed to the house next to where I was stopped. He handed me my documents back and wished me a good night.

I no longer carry that card as it does me no good at all where I currently live.

Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#46]
After you've broken rule #1, which is "Don't invite the man into your life" by getting caught speeding, be damn sure NOT to break rule #2, which is "Don't piss off the nice police officer while he's deciding whether or not to write you a ticket or let you off with a warning".
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#47]
I use mine to rape women and children.  I also have 18 murders that were overlooked due to my PLATINUM card.  You just gotta know the people who run your town...

<no, not really>
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No...........mine is Platinum. LOL. Yeah, this is a surefire way to get your career light button pushed. Heck, the other day, a very nice lady who just bought an old gas station west of town offered me a

50% discount when I went in to purchase some Gatorade. I told her that my office specifically prohibits deputies from taking ANY gratuities. I was very nice and thankful about it. She stated she lived

in Georgia her whole life before moving out here. She stated that its pretty much a way of life there that police get 50% discounts on purchases as thanks for what we do and for patronizing stores. I

was gobsmacked! Never heard of such a thing out here. Any Georgia LEOs have input?

Not an LEO, but used to work armed security in Georgia in a convenience store, it's pretty common for convenience stores and some restaurants to let uniformed officers have free coffee and fountain drinks as an encouragement for them to stop in regularly, same for meal discounts (when I was in ROTC, the Arby's near campus gave a military/LE discount of 10-15%).
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Ugh.  I'm nauseated whenever I see a car on the road that has about 7 "FOP Supporter" stickers in the window - one for each of the past 7 years - like they expect it to get them out of trouble.

Nausea goes to disgust when those stickers are on the rear driver's side window instead of the rear window

God I can only hope it goes like this:

"A ticket?  For speeding!?  But I donate to the FOP!"
"And I clocked you going 43 MPH in a 25 MPH zone."
"That does it!  I'm not donating next year!"
"Doesn't bother me - the fine for the ticket is more than three times the amount to get the sticker.  Have a nice day."

$10 says that these very same people later detest officers as being "corrupt", despite that they're pissed off about the officer NOT being corrupt.

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/23/2009 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There's a thing called "Courtesy Cards" but they will hardly get you out of much.

Getting out of a DUI  waving your badge won't even get you out of that.

Fellow officer/coworker was pulled over, Officer that called me to come get him or he was going to jail, you got 10 minutes to get here or we are off to jail with him. He showed the officer he was a cop, so he allowed him to get out of jail that night, so he was damm lucky..Being a cop can get you out of jail, But expect an ass chewing as that officer was fucken pissed teaching him lesson he didnt forget, he stopped drinking after that knwoing he could have lost his job and all he worked for being a fairly new to the Dept (under 1 year.)

Now my brother Got a DUI wrecked his (unmarked take home) arrested, then released later that morning..Went home got his duty weapon and killed himself.

Some people get breaks and many do not..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top