Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/28/2009 11:59:45 AM EDT
Anybody do this? No socks of course.

I'm not sure what I think about it, or if it's a faux pas.

I just don't want to always wear boots, and I like to avoid tennis shoes when not doing something athletic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoes with jeans? Sure, why not?
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Anybody do this? No socks of course.

I'm not sure what I think about it, or if it's a faux pas.

I just don't want to always wear boots, and I like to avoid tennis shoes when not doing something athletic.

I'm thinking that I last wore that combo in the 80's, when Miami Vice was still a first-run show.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Abso-fucking-lutely  And I've been doing it for 25 years now, along with most everyone else on the coast.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I haven't seen a pair of top siders out side of a marina since about 1984.

I'm wearing a pair right now.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Coincidentally, I do have a sailboat.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#7]
When I'm not wearing flip flops, its Sperry Top Siders. Have a pair in brown and a pair in blue with white sols. Usually its no socks with jeans. Unless its cold out side, then I throw on the ankle socks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Part of my wardrobe for YEARS.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Wore a pair for my buddy's tropical wedding earlier this Summer … we were both wearing linen slacks with them … I've worn them with other slacks and shorts, but not jeans. That seems like a collision of 2 completely different fashion genres.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, this is ARFcom where all the girls decide what shoes go with what outfit, so you've come to the right place.

Boat shoes went out of style with the Member's Only jacket in mid summer, 1988, but don't let that stop you.

I say fuck it, mix and match your long-dead inappropriate fashion. Just because you're hundreds of miles from the ocean & not going near a boat doesn't mean you can't dress like it, at least a little bit.

Here's how I'd roll if I were you: Pastel cotton blazer, circa Crocket & Tubbs, a big old cowboy hat, pooka shell necklace and some topsiders with no socks. Slap some Journey in the tape deck, start cruising and see what sticks to ya. I think you'll rock that look.

You're welcome.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I forgot how comfy those shoes are. I gotta get another pair.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're over 50
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That's a good point too, the ladies love a man who's comfortable and nothing is as comfortable as a pair of boxers and an old sweatshirt. Let those be the compliment to your topsiders....they'll accentuate your white legs in a way that quite frankly will have the girls wet.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wore a pair for my buddy's tropical wedding earlier this Summer … we were both wearing linen slacks with them … I've worn them with other slacks and shorts, but not jeans. That seems like a collision of 2 completely different fashion genres.

I thought the same thing at first, but I think I'm gonna try it. At least I won't be the only one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good point too, the ladies love a man who's comfortable and nothing is as comfortable as a pair of boxers and an old sweatshirt. Let those be the compliment to your topsiders....they'll accentuate your white legs in a way that quite frankly will have the girls wet.

Not everybody can pull off wearing a pair of crocs like you can.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Well, this is ARFcom where all the girls decide what shoes go with what outfit, so you've come to the right place.

Boat shoes went out of style with the Member's Only jacket in mid summer, 1988, but don't let that stop you.

I say fuck it, mix and match your long-dead inappropriate fashion. Just because you're hundreds of miles from the ocean & not going near a boat doesn't mean you can't dress like it, at least a little bit.

Here's how I'd roll if I were you: Pastel cotton blazer, circa Crocket & Tubbs, a big old cowboy hat, pooka shell necklace and some topsiders with no socks. Slap some Journey in the tape deck, start cruising and see what sticks to ya. I think you'll rock that look.

You're welcome.

Don't Stop Believin'

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Abso-fucking-lutely  And I've been doing it for 25 years now, along with most everyone else on the coast.

Thank you.  I wear Sperrys sockless in the summer with shorts and casual pants/skirts, with smartwool socks and jeans summer and winter.  I have a nicer pair of deck shoes from LL Bean or somewhere that I wear with chinos. About the only place I don't wear them is on the boat, got some of those self-bailing water shoe things for that.

They may be out of style in hyphenland, but half the people I see here in coastal Virginia dressed casually are wearing them.

Jane

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you're over 50

Uh.....I'm 52, and don't have a clue what Top Siders are

a-bare

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Abso-fucking-lutely And I've been doing it for 25 years now, along with most everyone else on the coast.

Thank you. I wear Sperrys sockless in the summer with shorts and casual pants/skirts, with smartwool socks and jeans summer and winter. I have a nicer pair of deck shoes from LL Bean or somewhere that I wear with chinos. About the only place I don't wear them is on the boat, got some of those self-bailing water shoe things for that.

Jane

It's okay for girls to do that, just like wearing sandals, etc. ...  

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Mens footwear choices should involve the following:

1 Jump boots
A classic brown
B classic black

2 combat boots
A lug sole
B modified chevron

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

This is the only believable thing I've read in GD in two weeks.
Seriously.

Sorry, PAEBR332, but I have a mental picture of you as a Galvin MacLeod looking gentleman in jeans, Sperrys and a reefer style blazer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You're welcome.  

Uh-oh, Looks like its time to upgrade my wardrobe.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Abso-fucking-lutely And I've been doing it for 25 years now, along with most everyone else on the coast.

Thank you. I wear Sperrys sockless in the summer with shorts and casual pants/skirts, with smartwool socks and jeans summer and winter. I have a nicer pair of deck shoes from LL Bean or somewhere that I wear with chinos. About the only place I don't wear them is on the boat, got some of those self-bailing water shoe things for that.

Jane

It's okay for girls to do that, just like wearing sandals, etc. ...  

Seeing you refer to "girls", made me think: I don't believe they're much in fashion for those under thirty.  But they're popular with men as well as women over that age where I live.  Of course, styles vary in different parts of the country.

Jane
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I am old enough and to the point in life I really dont care too much what folks think about my choice in shoes.

I got a pair, and wear them with pants in the summer, usually with khakis or shorts.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Topsiders and variants of them were all over the place over the summer. I think they're coming back into style.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

Seriously.

Sorry, PAEBR332, but I have a mental picture of you as a Galvin MacLeod looking gentleman in jeans, Sperrys and a reefer style blazer.

You guys have some history?  No one I know - and that's a fairly eclectic mix - would be caught dead in a double breasted blazer and jeans with or without the Topsiders.  

Jane  

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Obviously, you've never been to Newport, RI.

If you're talking to me, actually I've been twice for the WoodenBoat show.  Saw a bunch of deck shoes, a bunch of jeans, a few double breasted blazers.  Didn't see any of the latter two in combination.  One I clearly remember seeing was a fiftish gentleman, gay as christmas, wearing white flannels with his.  I confess though I was mostly looking at boats.

Jane

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#30]
It's OK, as long as you are within a stone's throw of a boat.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#31]
About all I wear are top siders of different brands
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Top siders are more ghey than a bag full of dicks.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I was an undergraduate in the early 60's. Guys my age were cool before most of you were born. STILL ARE!
Lived in jeans & topsiders(no socks) & docksiders (no socks) & shorts.

Didn't give a damn then ... don't now!

Bring it on ...
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.

Seriously.

You guys have some history?  No one I know - and that's a fairly eclectic mix - would be caught dead in a double breasted blazer and jeans with or without the Topsiders.  

Jane  

It wasn't intended as a slam on him...I had a few multi-millionaire owners when I was flying business jets who dressed in the whole docksiders/blazer thing.  For that matter, I didn't know people wore seer-sucker suits socially, until I had that job.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

they are coming back for the younger gen. seriously.

for an older guy who looks nothing like a boat owner, they may never be appropriate though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#36]
All the time, when I'm sailing.

Sometimes when I'm not.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Part of my wardrobe for YEARS.

Decades.

Sheesh! People wouldn't recognize me if I dressed differently.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#39]
They're called boat shoes and you're not allowed to wear them unless you're on the east coast.

Land logged folks like me are stuck with moccasins.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I wear a comfortable old pair with jeans or shorts all summer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Are you on  a dock, pier or boat?  Are you on your way to any of the aforementioned?  In not the answer is - no.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#43]
They were kinda big in GA last summer but I haven't seen anybody wearing them his summer
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Uh.....I'm 52, and don't have a clue what Top Siders are

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has no idea what the Hell is being discussed here. And I'm not 50 yet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Um.....no

unless you're on a boat

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Comebacks that wound should be narrow and targeted, plausible, at some level make sense or personally injure.

Seeing as goofy shoes were the subject of my joke (meaning, the likelihood of me actually wearing another form of silly footwear is slim to none), it makes your insult vague and juvenile.

2.5 for effort, but your landing sucked.

Further, that you've chosen to lob the insult against my tongue-in-cheek tirade against asexual boat shoes suggests that a nerve might have been touched and you are, in fact, wearing some topsiders right now.

Thanks for playing.

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

1 Jump boots
A classic brown
B classic black

2 combat boots
A lug sole
B modified chevron

If you were a sexual tyrannosaur like me, you'd be wearing green side jungle boots with Panama sole and OD green 550 cord for shoe laces.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

fucking right
try to think New Sperrys fellas. Not the plastic looking dark brown ones. It's also a nice gesture whn you climb aboard the big buck sport fishermans.

This is what I'm currently running. They're beat to shit and all salty but i love the damn things.

Not your Daddy's Top Siders
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

1 Jump boots
A classic brown
B classic black

2 combat boots
A lug sole
B modified chevron

I agree UNLESS your tied to a 300lb Marlin. :)
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Swing, i'm old and married so i honestly dont give a shit WHAT the "Ladies" like...for that matter though i stuck with the topsiders and no sucks all through the 90's..and still mamanged to keep my bed occupied most of the time
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top