Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/15/2009 6:07:26 PM EDT
It won't make a difference in a fire. Most people keep it in the house so it doesn't do anything in terms of corrosion or "preserving" your ammo. It doesn't prevent theft, in fact, if you get broken into, all you've done is packaged your ammo in convenient to carry containers to be offloaded.

––edit for clarity, now spelled out for GD level readers––

So the question is... if you got a lot of ammo, why would you want to use ammo cans for a setup like this:

When for half the price (by volume), you can have a MUCH more secure setup like this (credit goes to Winston Wolf for this pic and the idea in this thread) :

Here are the calculations:

Rigid job box: $259, 48"x24"x28" (~18 cu ft) = $14/cu ft
A 50 cal ammo can: $6, 11x5.5x7(.22 cu ft) = $27/cu ft.

I guess some people like carry their cans with them to the range. I dunno, I find it much easier and lighter to just grab only as much as I need and throwing it into a backpack.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It won't make a difference in a fire. Most people keep it in the house so it doesn't do anything in terms of corrosion or "preserving" your ammo. It doesn't prevent theft, in fact, if you get broken into, all you've done is packaged your ammo in convenient to carry containers to be offloaded.

This.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
dont worry about it
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sooooooo by your logic, I should spread the ammo loose all over the floor so it is harder to steal?

Why don't I take my TV apart too and spread the parts around the house when not using the TV? That will stop it from being stolen.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Air tight container!
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

They stack well too...
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
It could be argued that it's a convenient container for transporting ammo, and it would work good in a damp environment.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
All of my ammo is loose and hidden around the house like Easter eggs so I agree with the OP.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Now I see the error of my ways.  From now on I will line them up single file on the back porch.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah lets keep all our ammo in loaded magazines

I take my ammo cans to the range when I shoot which is often, marked easy to grab ammo cans make the task easier.

I dislike keeping loaded magazines in the house, except in the HD gun, other than that all other weapons are cleared and mags emptied before returning to the house.

Also I keep ammo in the garage where I hope in case of a fire I can remove it quickly if possible.

So how do you store your ammo?
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
so wait, an AMMO CAN is not a good can to store ammo in? wow your smart!
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I use them because I can add silica packets so its moister resistant....also my 5 ammo cans are in my safe......little harder to steal that way also last I check the paper/cardboard catches on fire a little faster than metal.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]
They're cheap, they're rugged, they're airtight.

That's all that ever motivated me. If someone would be willing to buy me some fireproof storage, I'll be happy to utilize that instead.

Any takers?
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sooooooo by your logic, I should spread the ammo loose all over the floor so it is harder to steal?

Why don't I take my TV apart too and spread the parts around the house when not using the TV? That will stop it from being stolen.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Obamalogic.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#15]
i buy bags of chips and dump the chips out and replace with ammo.  nobody will ever look in there.

oh damn
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#16]

It's the container it came in.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It won't make a difference in a fire.

Who have you heard list the cans resistance to fire as a reasons for using ammo cans?

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Why pack AMMO in AMMO cans?

This question perplexes me... I'm perplexed, completely perplexed
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Uuuummm, because they're... ammo... cans?
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Really?  They're specifically designed for the task of storing ammo, they stack/store nicely, and they're airtight.  How are they deficient?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

All of my ammo is loose and hidden around the house like Easter eggs so I agree with the OP.

Mine as well. Plus, if you happen to get a clumsy burglar he/she might slip on the loose ammo and break their neck. Loose ammo=anti-personnel defense system.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep, that's how I store all of my ammo down in the Manroom.......how do you store yours?
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not sure what you are saying, but for some reason, I agree with you...

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Also since you asked I just had my house bulldozed and ammo hidden so its harder to steal. Also no squatters to worry about either. Might have to take apart my car also, dumb car thieves wont bring tools :)

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i buy bags of chips and dump the chips out and replace with ammo.  nobody will ever look in there.

oh damn

OPSEC Man OPSEC !
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why are you so bothered by how other people store their ammo?  How do you recommend storing large quantities of ammo?

I don't see how portability is a bad thing.  If you're trying to reduce the portability of your ammo as a deterent to having your ammo stolen you should probably take another look at the rest of your security.

An ammo can will make a difference in a fire.  Fires come in all sizes.  An air tight steel can will certainly be more fire resistant than cardboard boxes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#29]

I bought a bunch of these canvas tool bags when they were on super sale for 3 dollars and change. As it turns out, 25 50-round 9mm boxes fit in them perfectly.  Convenient for carrying

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ok I made a photo question since you seam to be the smartest kid on the short bus,

What is easier to grab when your house is on fire?

Picture A (loose ammo just in case you couldn't make it out)

Picture B (Those pesky ammo cans you seam to hate)

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I've always stored my ammo in the original factory boxes. It's always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#32]
How the blue blazes you want me to do it. You don't like it, so tell me oh great one, how do I store it? I eagerly await your response and I won't sleep a wink till I hear more insightful ways that will improve my so obvious wrong way of storing my ammo.

Next you'll tell me that my gun safe is stupid too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I use them because it's easier to carry into the range area and ease of storage at home.

ETA: I keep them in my safe also.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Worry about yourself.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#36]
So the 6 ammo cans I have are some how worse to carry out than a few hundred smaller boxes?

Let alone they are water proof, stop cridder, and stackable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Really?

Congratulations.

You're the first:

Ignored...

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I dump all of my ammo into the bathtub.

I only take showers, so the tub doesn't get used.

When no one is home, and I am feeling indulgent, I climb into the tub naked and relax in an ammo bath.

It is quite invigorating, but you must be careful and get into the tub slowly.

Those 8mm Mauser rounds can be prickly on your nether regions.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Theft proofing the car could be less than fun.

"Why are you late for work?"

"Had trouble building the damn car this morning."

Anyway, back to the OP. I think  it's easier to pack the car for a range trip when the ammo is already in cans.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#40]
If you only keep one round, you don't need a can.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Yep.

That's why I keep all my ammo strew across all the rooms in my house. It also has the added benefit in case a burglar breaks in he'll probably slip on all the thousands of rounds of various ammo scattered on all the floors.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

OK, what the fuck brought this on???
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, what the fuck brought this on???

Drugs. And retardation.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm putting all of mine in margarine tubs, but I've been having a hard time getting all the margarine out. It does make the chambers easier to clean.

I've also been putting gasoline in mayonaise jars for the lawnmower, but the mayonaise keeps clogging up the carburator.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#46]
i like to line them up like a long line of dominoes, in random areas of the house -

this is so the when i hear the crash of an intruder in the middle of the night i can run through the darkness, down the line loading rounds into my magazine and slamming it into the rifle, while doing a power slide across the living room ready to shoot the unsuspecting home invader just as they are stepping into the room while simultaneously threatening my life and the innocent cans of chili, and babnanas in the kitchen.

OR

i can keep mags loaded for the HD rifle/pistol and the other rounds in Airtight, watertight, stackable, convenient, hard sided cases.
its really a toss up

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I keep my ammo in cans.  I lock up the cans in my safe.

Prior to having a safe I kept my ammo in the original boxes on the top shelf of my bedroom closet.  That was until a water pipe broke in the apartment above me and soaked everything in my closet.  I'm still pissed about that.

Now the ammo goes in cans and the cans go in the safe.

What possible benefit is their to keeping your ammo in the box?
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Soon as I get home, I'll empty all my ammo on the floor so it will be more better.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, to test your hypothesis, I set fire to my house;

and here is the result;
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When no one is home, and I am feeling indulgent, I climb into the tub naked and relax in an ammo bath.

Ammo bath FTW!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top