Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2010 9:01:27 AM EDT
ok, up here in the frozen tundra we get ice / snow on the roof which i have read can plug the vent for a toilet and cause it not to drain / flush

can this cause the same problem on a bath tub also ?

everything else works fine. the tub was draining until yesterday just fine. this morning.... no drain at all. ive owned this house for almost 3 years without any problems with the tub

i cant get a drain snake into the tubs plumbing at all, very shitty setup from when the old owner replaced all the plumbing.

ive tried the plunger ALOT with no luck either.

i am off to go buy a couple jugs of DRAINO and see if that helps...

but i am curious if this could be a vent issue on the roof from snow / ice

thanks !
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Same problem once with my tub and it was the vent, the screen cover had come off the vent and it had a bird nest in it. I would start with that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
do you shave your back in the shower? that might be the issue
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.

MOST of the bathroom drainage problems I've experienced have been due to hair.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Had to clear my tub drain yesterday. The Tip-Toe type has a stopper that unscrews and pulls off. The "usual suspects" clogged the strainer: hair and gunk; plus a piece of bar soap had slipped in completing the plug.

< 5 min.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Had to clear my tub drain yesterday. The Tip-Toe type has a stopper that unscrews and pulls off. The "usual suspects" clogged the strainer: hair and gunk; plus a piece of bar soap had slipped in completing the plug.

< 5 min.  

This.

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have a wife or daughters?  Almost guarantee that its hair and/or gunk.  Check for a small snake at the hardware store and if your trying with a plunger, make sure that the overflow drain is also plugged.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#8]
i pulled the part off that you flip up / down that blocks the drain so you can fill the tub- i cant seem to get a drain snake down that part even

i bought some really heavy duty drain cleaner- has a plastic bag over the bottle

ill try the drain snake a few more times and see if i can get it into the plumbing but i dont think thatll work...
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This...even if you're bald.

You need to do a drain abortion on it.

Take a hooked coat-hangar or a very small snake to the drain...you will pull out all sorts of nasty shit, and your drain will be super fast after that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it possible the drain line is frozen? does it run down an outside wall?
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Might very well be the vent. Had a bathroom sink that would not drain, snaked it 25 feet. plumber came over & pulled a dead critter out of the
vent. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This...even if you're bald.

You need to do a drain abortion on it.

Take a hooked coat-hangar or a very small snake to the drain...you will pull out all sorts of nasty shit, and your drain will be super fast after that.

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is it possible the drain line is frozen? does it run down an outside wall?

no
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i pulled the part off that you flip up / down that blocks the drain so you can fill the tub- i cant seem to get a drain snake down that part even

i bought some really heavy duty drain cleaner- has a plastic bag over the bottle

ill try the drain snake a few more times and see if i can get it into the plumbing but i dont think thatll work...

That stuff is a life saver if you have women in the house.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#17]
if it is the vent on top of the roof, would the toilet in the same bathroom and sink in the same bathroom still drain properly while the tub wont ?

i opened up the biggest PVC section where the shitter drains into the sewer expecting that to be backed up, and its not at all...
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a similar incident here. Draino and the likes did nothing. The way the drain was set up you couldn't get a snake in it because of this metal "crosshair" like piece in drain. It was looking a little crusty so I took a pair of snips to it and now the drain snake can be used. Got the snake in and worked it for a couple of minutes. Out came this thing that looked like an old dead hippy rat. It was gross and covered in soap scum. Tub drain just fine now, and the stopper works as it should without the "crosshairs".

Got to find a way to use the snake.......
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]
This happened when I was sleeping in the tub with my dog and rifle. The dog hair kept clogging up the drain.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a similar incident here. Draino and the likes did nothing. The way the drain was set up you couldn't get a snake in it because of this metal "crosshair" like piece in drain. It was looking a little crusty so I took a pair of snips to it and now the drain snake can be used. Got the snake in and worked it for a couple of minutes. Out came this thing that looked like an old dead hippy rat. It was gross and covered in soap scum. Tub drain just fine now, and the stopper works as it should without the "crosshairs".

i got my drain snake past that cross piece.... thought i was going to get to the problem, when the tip of the drain snake popped out of the top of the tub where i removed that "stopper" that plugs the tub so you can fill the bath

draino hasnt worked yet either
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Use a plunger––several inches of water, an assistant to hold a rubber seal (we use one of those round rubber things used to open tight lids on jars), and a vigorous plunge will often send things on down the line.

this just makes water blow out the top hole where the drain lever is in top of the tub
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#24]
vents on the roof are clear...

my buddy just called me back, he's a plumber so hopefully we can figure this shit out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#25]
plunger and a rag over the overflow worked!

thanks everyone !!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Get some of the two part Draino , that shit works damn good. Comes in a gray bottle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i got my drain snake past that cross piece.... thought i was going to get to the problem, when the tip of the drain snake popped out of the top of the tub where i removed that "stopper" that plugs the tub so you can fill the bath

draino hasnt worked yet either

In the future, if you want to use the snake, go in from the top where you removed the stopper..  You get a more direct shot to getting to the trap.

You mention a bad install by the previous owner.  Can you see the plumbing to see if its a P-trap like the one pictured or an old drum trap?
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Just stuff an Old School cherry bomb down the drain and coverr the drain with a piece of rubber and a brick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top