Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2010 4:32:38 PM EDT
Anyone know what the little plates are made of? Look less than a 1/4" thick. Was just a fragmentation vest that would also stop some pistol loads IIRC, can't find what the model names are. Top two look similar to the Doron plates in the M-1951 vests and the lower vest's are metal.

The plates and the panel behind looks thicker than the CRIST target.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
damn im glad i got issued my interceptor after seeing that
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
In Russia, armor use you for bullet resistance.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Tops ones look like some kind of resin impregnated aramid.  Bottom ones look ceramic of maybe metal.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Ohh nifty.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, looks like we don't have anything to fear from Russian body armor technology for another 30 years...
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Slows down the bullet to protect the guy behind you who is waiting to pick up your rifle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Slows down the bullet to protect the guy behind you who is waiting to pick up your rifle.

lol
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty sure they two were designed with similar goals the US M1951 and that other vest w/ aluminum right after WW2(forgot the name). Mosty for fragmentation protection and subgun rounds.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I know the Russians used titanium plates in some of their vests, not sure if they are still used.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The top ones look like some sort of fiberglass.  Much like the material that some hardhats are made out of (around here the type or hard hats that are very popular with iron workers).
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know the Russians used titanium plates in some of their vests, not sure if they are still used.

Yea, I remember reading that's what lead to the CRIST target being a 1.6mm titanium plate in front of a 20 layer Kevlar panel. Not sure if it was like other 'Nato targets' that were used for comparison of the penetration of various rounds or if it was designed to simulate a specific vest at the time.

Quoted:
Where did you get it?

It's not mine, someone is selling the two on Ebay. They were the auction page pics. Thats why they have the little camera icon in the lower right IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]
The top is like Micarta or G10.

A composite resin with some sort of fabric.

Bottom.. who knows.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've found a few sets of Russian body armor for sale; standard kevlar usually, sometimes nylon, with a steel or titanium plate. Kevlar helmets are rare in Russian issue, they mostly issue titanium helmets or old-school steelpots.

Some of their chest rigs have a pocket for inserting a steel plate.

Body armor used by Soviet troops in WWII

Modern Russian soldier with body armor and- notably- kevlar helmet.

Russian body armor, late 90's issue.

Spetsnaz in body armor

Spetsnaz with steel ballistic helmets, rated to stop 9mm Makarov, 7.62 Tokarev, and 5.45x18mm pistol calibers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top