Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2014 4:28:53 PM EDT
On May 1, 1898, US Navy forces under Commodore Dewey defeated a Spanish fleet in Manila Bay as part of the Spanish-American War.  The Americans had 1 dead, 9 wounded, and damage to one cruiser.  The Spanish surrendered after losing 77 dead, 271 wounded, and 8 ships sunk.

The Olympia, Dewey's flagship, in Manila:

Battle of Manila print:

Spanish flagship, Reina Cristina, after the battle:

"In recognition of George Dewey's leadership during the Battle of Manila Bay a special medal known as the Dewey Medal was presented to the officers and sailors under Admiral Dewey's command. Dewey was later honored with promotion to the special rank of Admiral of the Navy; a rank that no one has held before or since in the United States Navy. Building on his popularity, Dewey briefly ran for president in 1900, but withdrew and endorsed William McKinley, the incumbent, who won."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Manila_Bay_(1898)

ETA:

Added battle map:

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I forgot to mention that Admiral Dewey's flagship still exists as a museum ship.

Olympia moored in Philadelphia:

http://www.phillyseaport.org/olympia/

http://www.hnsa.org/ships/olympia.htm
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been on quite a few Navy ships and went on the Olympia on a whim.  Undoubtedly the most interesting ships I was ever on!  More interesting than the USS New Jersey that's across the Delaware.

Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny you posted this...

I just stumbled across this today... Clicky..
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny you posted this...

I just stumbled across this today... Clicky..
View Quote

Neat!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The present day Olympia is in trouble.  She needs work and Philadelphia is broke.  

BTW, during WW II her turrets and guns were scrapped for the war effort.  She was rebuilt.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The electrical contractor for Olympia was Thomas Edison.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The present day Olympia is in trouble.  She needs work and Philadelphia is broke.  

BTW, during WW II her turrets and guns were scrapped for the war effort.  She was rebuilt.
View Quote

That was the fate of the USS Oregon (BB-3). She was scrapped to her deck, and her  hull was used as an explosives barge and later scrapped completely in Japan after the war.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:29:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That was the fate of the USS Oregon (BB-3). She was scrapped to her deck, and her  hull was used as an explosives barge and later scrapped completely in Japan after the war.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was actually converted into an Auxiliary Crane Ship.  At one point she was commissioned in California's Naval Militia (as a battleship).
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

She was actually converted into an Auxiliary Crane Ship.  At one point she was commissioned in California's Naval Militia (as a battleship).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An auxillary crane ship?  That wasn`t mentioned in "McKinley`s Bulldog"
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you were right, I was thinking of the Kearsarge.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This past weekend a group of teenagers were collecting donations for the Olympia in front of my local A&P. They had some nice pictures of the Olympia, and what looked like either the USS Texas or USS New York in their WW II configuration.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I forgot to mention that Admiral Dewey's flagship still exists as a museum ship.

Olympia moored in Philadelphia:

http://www.hnsa.org/ships/img/olympia2.jpg

http://www.phillyseaport.org/olympia/

http://www.hnsa.org/ships/olympia.htm
View Quote

HOLY CRAP!!! I stayed in the Hyatt up the river from that for 6 weeks back in Jan and Feb. I ran past it just about every day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top