Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2012 4:38:41 PM EDT
hey guys,

Ive been thinking about getting a plate carrier or chest rig recently. Currently our cruisers are set up with a rifle in an overhead rack on the cage and we have a 511 bail out bag with a few mags inside.

My idea is that having the plate carrier/ rig sitting on the seat is easy to grab and slip on quickly. It would have any number of AR mags already attached and several handgun mags as well. I feel that having the mags right there on your chest clearly makes mag changes and over all use much easier than having the bag moving all over and trying to fish out a magazine from the bag, especially if the zipper is closed.

So, is anyone running something like this? What's your experiences?

Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a low-profile, small chest rig set up for use with my patrol rifle. Carries 3 AR mags, a BOK, a small dumper, and also has an admin pouch with a few lightsticks, Sharpie, spare 123s, etc. I considered something slightly more substantial, like the Eagle line of chest rigs, but I wanted to stay as small, light, and compatible with a Class A uniform and duty belt as possible. Having used it recently at a patrol rifle course/requal and a 3-gun match, it works fairly well.

SOP requires us to carry our rifles in the trunk until deployed, so I leave the chest rig in there with it. If I were going to a hot call, the rifle and rig would likely get thrown in the front seat.

I agree with you about the bag. I had a 5.11 Bail Out Bag before, and it was way too floppy and bulky. Going prone was also a bitch.

Here's my rig. Sorry the pic is upside down:
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a low-profile, small chest rig set up for use with my patrol rifle. Carries 3 AR mags, a BOK, a small dumper, and also has an admin pouch with a few lightsticks, Sharpie, spare 123s, etc. I considered something slightly more substantial, like the Eagle line of chest rigs, but I wanted to stay as small, light, and compatible with a Class A uniform and duty belt as possible. Having used it recently at a patrol rifle course/requal and a 3-gun match, it works fairly well.

SOP requires us to carry our rifles in the trunk until deployed, so I leave the chest rig in there with it. If I were going to a hot call, the rifle and rig would likely get thrown in the front seat.

I agree with you about the bag. I had a 5.11 Bail Out Bag before, and it was way too floppy and bulky. Going prone was also a bitch.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/jasonpharez/IMAG0138-1.jpg

Rehosting the right way.  

-Sleeper
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/jasonpharez/IMAG0138-1.jpg

Rehosting the right way.  
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad311/arfcomcache/IMAG0138-1.jpg
-Sleeper

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#4]
i wear two 20s on my outer carrier, if i need more than the 30 in the rifle and the 40 on my vest, then i've got a shit load in the front seat and trunk but 70 rifle rounds oughta take care of business.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
EDITED to add a picture of my rig.

I have a CONDOR compact plate carrier with level IV plates front and back.  POLICE in big reflective letters front and back too since it covers my badge and nameplate.

4 AR magazines, 2 extra pistol mags, extra flashlight, CAT tournicate, and a pouch with a couple chem lights, extra knife, quickclot dressing, and paracord (comes in handy for all kinds of stuff).  3 sets of flexcuffs on the back hanging in the MOLLE straps.

This vest is for a rapid active shooter response.  It sits right next to my patrol rifle in the trunk.  I've practiced with it and can have it on and be moving with my rifle in less than 10 seconds from popping the trunk.  I've actually worn it on a few calls where we knew the subject we were looking for was armed with a long gun.

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Can't find the last plate carrier thread we had where I posted these , so I'll put them up again

Inside of the cars set up as:

Do what works for you. Do some research and build up as your budget allows. If you have to buy piecemeal and not all at once, plan ahead and spend your money wisely so that you don't have a lot of needless repetition and constant replacement of gear that you find doesn't quite "suit" you. Also, buy quality. "Cry once, buy once".
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice AS rig, tossinsparks. I like how clean and low profile it is. Where did you get those "POLICE" patches from? I need one that says "SHERIFF" in about that same size...reflective or not doesn't matter.

Tc556guy, I have that same shotgun rack in my new cruiser. I greatly prefer it over the old in-between-the-seats mount I had previously.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice AS rig, tossinsparks. I like how clean and low profile it is. Where did you get those "POLICE" patches from? I need one that says "SHERIFF" in about that same size...reflective or not doesn't matter.

Tc556guy, I have that same shotgun rack in my new cruiser. I greatly prefer it over the old in-between-the-seats mount I had previously.

Thanks its not THAT low profile but it isn't huge.  Its basically a level 4 plate 1 AR mag and 1 pistol mag stacked on top of each other in terms of thickness at its thickest point.

The police platch on the front is a BLACKHAWK! patch.  Just google it and you'll find it, they make one that says sheriff too.  The one on the back I think is an Uncle Mike's patch, I aquired it from one of our K9 guys, its like 4" by 12".  I wanted it BIG on my back in case someone sees me from behind lol.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks its not THAT low profile but it isn't huge.  Its basically a level 4 plate 1 AR mag and 1 pistol mag stacked on top of each other in terms of thickness at its thickest point.

The police platch on the front is a BLACKHAWK! patch.  Just google it and you'll find it, they make one that says sheriff too.  The one on the back I think is an Uncle Mike's patch, I aquired it from one of our K9 guys, its like 4" by 12".  I wanted it BIG on my back in case someone sees me from behind lol.

Cool! Thanks, I'll look into it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I am currently running the black hawk quick release rig but honestly after seeing my coworkers condor rig for less than half the price...I over paid.

I am running lvl 4 plates and the weight is substantial. I will get some pics up of both rigs tomorrow if I can for you to compare.
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Sat in my tahoe every day. Used it while I was on a bomb dog just in case I got called up. Used it as my active shooter rig after Ft Hood and Ft Bliss shootings in its current set up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up getting a banshee carrier and some plates from dsgarms. Should have everything by tomorrow. So far keeping it simple with 3 Ar mags and 3 glock mags across the front
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Inside of the cars set up as:

Who makes that console?  My department is so cheap I had to make one out of wood.  I would like to buy something that works a little better.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 3:47:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who makes that console?  My department is so cheap I had to make one out of wood.  I would like to buy something that works a little better.

The printer? I don't recall the manufacturer....I'll look when I go into work tonite.
We are dumping them for printers that install up against the headliner.
Don't know what we'll be doing with the old ones.

edit:
printer base from Lund Industries
303 Messner Dr
Wheeling IL 60090
847-459-1460

Part is listed as a

PPJ Heavy Duty Armrest
Model PPJ-HDARM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top