Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2009 4:53:52 PM EDT
Hi everyone. I was promoted to Lieutenant this past week and have a question about proper wear of the Lt. collar brass. I know the appropriate way to wear the brass is at 45 degrees to the point of the collar. The problem is that my uniform shirts have built in collar stays that I can not remove. The Lt. bar is the only insignia that I would run into this problem with as the other ranks have their posts that stradle the collar stays.

I have seen people put Lt. bars side to side straddling the collar stay but I am thinking that is not correct. What is the next best way to wear the Lt. bars? Anyone wanting to post pictures would be great, any feedback would be great as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If not on the collar then how about on the shoulder epillette (spelling)? That is how they are worn at my place.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Push the butter bars through the collar stays. It is easier to push through if you use something like a block of soft wood behind the stays.

Several agencies down wear their collar brass parallel to the edge of the collar, sort of flat against the edge.

ETA: Congrats on the promotion. Administration is a whole different world.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Typical Lt...doesn't even know how to dress.  Congrats
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Typical Lt...doesn't even know how to dress.  Congrats

Hey Hey Hey, no a typical Lt would not care and do what he wants anyway. That is why I ask because I believe the other Lts in my department are wearing it incorrectly, that's why I ask.

At any rate I went ahead and poked it through the collar stay, no problem and looks great.

Thanks for the feedback and congrats.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats... I second the "push em through" recommendation.  Just use firm pressure so the pins do not bend.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Several agencies down wear their collar brass parallel to the edge of the collar, sort of flat against the edge.

I prefer the military way myself, but everyone in my PD wears them as above.  Take notice to PD's around you or in photos and you'll probably find most wear it along or near the edge.  Trust me you are going to blow out a lot of bars pushing them through all the time.  Those back pins are weak.  

Would think it better for you to wear it like the other Lt's in your department, and more importantly however the Chief wants.

Link Posted: 2/15/2009 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
push em through the stays like stated above. I would only add ( and I do this on my collar brass) is that I heat up the pin first with a lighter before I push it through. It goes through easier, seals the material of the collar (likley polyester) and makes a nice hole in the stay and collar material that you can always hit when you put the brass back after laundering your shirts. Just make sure that they are going where they need to before pushing them through hot.

Hope this helps,
J-
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer the military way myself, but everyone in my PD wears them as above.  Take notice to PD's around you or in photos and you'll probably find most wear it along or near the edge.  Trust me you are going to blow out a lot of bars pushing them through all the time.  Those back pins are weak.  

Would think it better for you to wear it like the other Lt's in your department, and more importantly however the Chief wants.

Depends on what you call the 'military way'. The Army always wore their insignia parallel with the collar edge (pointing sideways) on the BDU/DCU. The Marines and Navy wore theirs diagonal. Can't remember how the USAF did it on BDU's, but IIRC it was the same as the Army. So, you've got 50% worn 'flat', and 50% worn diagonal.

Link Posted: 2/15/2009 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Our's are parallel with the front collar edge.
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Does your dept. have written uniform policy? Ours does. All those little details are spelled out for us.
Rank insignia is worn on the shoulders. "SD" pins are worn on the collar.
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]
The collar stays are mostly plastic. Lay your shirt out on a table and like stated above, put a small block of wood under it so it won't bend or break the pin. You do not want to have your finger behind it or you'll find out why they call the little keepers on the back "Dammits"! As you rotate out uniforms the little holes can be seen and reused all the time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The collar stays are mostly plastic. Lay your shirt out on a table and like stated above, put a small block of wood under it so it won't bend or break the pin. You do not want to have your finger behind it or you'll find out why they call the little keepers on the back "Dammits"! As you rotate out uniforms the little holes can be seen and reused all the time.

DAMMIT  why'd you have to go and tell him....Jeeze  

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Does your department have a policy and uniform manual?  Look in there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#14]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[span]

Depends on what you call the 'military way'. The Army always wore their insignia parallel with the collar edge (pointing sideways) on the BDU/DCU. The Marines and Navy wore theirs diagonal. Can't remember how the USAF did it on BDU's, but IIRC it was the same as the Army. So, you've got 50% worn 'flat', and 50% worn diagonal.

50% Right (MARINES) 50%wrong(all the rest)
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does your department have a policy and uniform manual?  Look in there.

Our current policy for this type of thing does not go that in depth as to how the bar will be worn. The flip side is we are currently undergoing a new policy manual adoption/switch over. Now is a perfect time for me to include these types of things in the new manual.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Ours are stitched on above the shoulders.  Dress uni's are the same but with the metal bars.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats on the promotion.  I hope to make Corporal soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

FD Here and this is how ours are done, my bars have a threaded center post to go in the hole sewn in the shirts and a pin at one end to keep the bars from spinning keep the pit to the top and they dont hit the collar stays. But ours are 3/4 " in from the edge and parallel to it our Captains are as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top