KAC gas block
KAC Front BUIS
KAC FF RAS
KAC Bipod mount
Bushmaster upper
Bushmaster Bolt/Car
KAC 300m BUIS
Badger gen I latch

Sits on Bushy lower w/ A1 & KAC trigger.

This is my new favorite upper. Quick handling & precision in one. Will be topped w/ Larue "SPR" mount & the new Leup 1.5-5. -Justin
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Here's mine

Bushmaster flat-top upper
Bushmaster Dissipator Barrel (light weight conversion by KKF)
LMT Fixed Rear Sight
Aimpoint Comp-M in ARMS 22M68 mount with cantilever spacer
YHM 2 piece handguards
Tango Down rail covers

Bushmaster lower
Vltor standard stock
Tango Down pistol grip
MagPul trigger guard

More pics here

Link Posted: 1/22/2005 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
That Dissy is BADASS!
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Lancelot, gotta be honest here, I’ve always thought that a dissy or 20-inch arf with a collapsible stock is about the gayest thing I’ve ever seen. I had not seen yours yet though; your rifle is completely righteous, it looks great.

I clicked on your link and took a look at your other pics, pretty cool.

Is this the work KKF did for you?

Link Posted: 1/22/2005 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My dissi type thing.....

LMT 16" M4 upper
DD 12.0
Pri Gas Block
Pri Gas Buster CH
YHM Front sight
ARMS 40L
Compact ACOG 3x Red Triangle in Larue Mount
Mega Lower w/Vltor Colaspable Stock

-sc
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lancelot, gotta be honest here, I’ve always thought that a dissy or 20-inch arf with a collapsible stock is about the gayest thing I’ve ever seen. I had not seen yours yet though; your rifle is completely righteous, it looks great.

I clicked on your link and took a look at your other pics, pretty cool.

Is this the work KKF did for you?

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/50_bm_a2_bc.sized.jpg

No actually that is my 20" barrel. It was a Bushmaster HBAR that I had turned down to an A2 profile. That was done by a board member here named "Circuits" aka Richard Stone. He just put 20K or so into a new lathe and I was one of his first barrel customers.

The end near the FSB is not quite correct for the A2 provile. The taper should be about 1/2" long and on this one eneded up only being about a 1/4 inch long.

KKF did my M4. It was a Bushmaster 16" HBAR before he turned it down.

I am the second owner of this particular dissipator barrel. It started life as an HBAR and KKF did a lightweight conversion on it. (For the first owner) He basically tapers the barrel to an A2 profile under the handguards removing as much as he can to lighten it up. The dissy is nose heavy with that extra gas block / front sight base out there.

KKF can take a standard 20" and make it a dissy bypassing all those issues. In fact "Troy" has one I believe.

And I agree I was never a reall dissy fan, but the more I modify this one, the more I like it. Someday maybe I'll get it right!

Link Posted: 1/22/2005 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
My next build may be a dissy. I like the looks of the full length handguards and stuff but I really don't want a 20''. I may build a dissy with A2 carrying handle, stock, and pistol grip ect. Or maybe a midlength...not sure yet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Cruise through some of the rifles Wes at MSTN has built. Lots of 16" barrels with 20 tubes or handguards or whatever. He has one with a 16 inch barrel and a LaRue 12.0 float tube that is really cool. All the benefits of a dissy without the weight of the extra gas block.
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The 16/Dissipator is a popular configuration for MRPs:
 [ link to LARGER image ]
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Not the greatest picture but I just finished getting this one put together a few weeks ago.  Most of the parts were bought from the equipment exchange or other vendors that post on this forum that have their own websites.  I'm very happy with how it turned out.  Its the most accurate AR I own.

Link Posted: 1/22/2005 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Zeruel-
Beautiful build.  Just what I'm aiming for!  Tell me about your barrel, PLEASE.
Is it 14.5" with a perm comp/suppressor?  
Is it CAR or Mid/Length?
Is the FSB gas port functional? (or does the gas tube stop under the handguards)?  
What gas block did you go with?  
Are the rails YHM Lightweight Rifle length?  
It just looks great!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 5:12:46 AM EDT
[#12]
sed6...

All dissipators are 16". They have to be to get the front sight base in the same place as on the 20" rifle. After all it is the rifle length sight radius they aim to duplicate.

This one has the gas block under the handguards. You can see it through the holes in the forearm. That would mean that the front sight tower is not the gas block. So it is a CAR gas system. The stock dissy gas block will fit under the YHM handguards.

The flash hider is a Phantom. I have one for mine, just haven't put it on yet. 2nd best for flash reduction but it does add length. No need to make it permanent on a 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 1/23/2005 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#13]
You guys have changed my opinion of dissipators completely. I always thought they looked ridiculous until I saw yours with quadrails. It changes the look completely. I am just going to have to get one now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Man, you guys have me going on the next build I'm going to do.  Can you take a 20" bbl and cut it to 16" and make it a dissy?  Are there gas issues?  I just don't want the extra weight of the second GB.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, kewl.
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Zeruel-
Beautiful build.  Just what I'm aiming for!  Tell me about your barrel, PLEASE.
Is it 14.5" with a perm comp/suppressor?  
Is it CAR or Mid/Length?
Is the FSB gas port functional? (or does the gas tube stop under the handguards)?  
What gas block did you go with?  
Are the rails YHM Lightweight Rifle length?  
It just looks great!!!

Quoted:
sed6...

All dissipators are 16". They have to be to get the front sight base in the same place as on the 20" rifle. After all it is the rifle length sight radius they aim to duplicate.

This one has the gas block under the handguards. You can see it through the holes in the forearm. That would mean that the front sight tower is not the gas block. So it is a CAR gas system. The stock dissy gas block will fit under the YHM handguards.

The flash hider is a Phantom. I have one for mine, just haven't put it on yet. 2nd best for flash reduction but it does add length. No need to make it permanent on a 16" barrel.

Lancelot knows what he is talking about.  Here's the run down of the parts in my build:

Bushmaster M4 dissipator barrel assembly (I had it within 10 days of ordering it in December, which surprised me since I've read about others waiting months for uppers / barrels / rifles.  I'm guessing they have the M4 dissipator barrel assemblies separate from the other M4 barrel assemblies which must be ordered less frequently?).  It uses a carbine gas system and has a 16" barrel.

RRA upper receiver with RRA bolt assembly
RRA lower parts kit
RRA 6 position M4 stock w/ spring and buffer
LMT rear sight

(all of the above parts from Legal Transfers in the Equipment Exchange)

YHM lightweight rifle length railed FF tube
YHM FF end cap

(from Bravo Company USA)

Magpul rail covers
Magpul enhanced trigger guard
Phantom 5C2 flash hider

(from GTS)

Daniel Defense CAR Burnsed Loop
Assembly of complete upper receiver

(from ADCO)

Hogue grip
RRA stripped Lower receiver

(from gun show)

TDI vertical foregrip
(from tdi website)

This is one of the cheapest builds I've ever had, yet its also the highest quality parts I've ever used and the most accurate AR I own.  I am very happy with it and recommend the above listed vendors as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Would there be a noticeable weight increase if I replace the standard handguards with a yhm lightweight 4 rail tube?   Is the barrell lightening treatment worth it?  I have a colt hbar that I had cut down to a 16 inch dissipator and have been considering lightening it.  About how much does it cost?
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Not to Hyjack this thread, but I though dissapators have full lenght gas systems with 18" barrels... but the barrels available at Mod1 have carbine length gas systems...

So is my understanding wrong, or are the Mod1 barrels not true dissapators?
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#20]

I'm probably going to gunkote this one olive drab, install my magpul trigger guard and redi-mag, and then get an ARMS mount to put my red/green dot on top of the scope.
Photoshopped out my living room because it's dirty.
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the Bushy Dissies have carbine gas system with a shaved FSB, then another intact FSB is moved to the front to give a longer sight radius
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Here's mine

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/dissy_yhm_002.sized.jpg

LMT Fixed Rear Sight
YHM 2 piece handguards
Tango Down rail covers

Bushmaster lower
Vltor standard stock
Tango Down pistol grip
MagPul trigger guard

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/dissy_yhm_diag_closed_jpg.sized.jpg

More pics here

Great pix, Lancelot.

I'm sure there is a story or two behind those 'in-vehicle' pix, huh?

Nice hardware as well. Nice work!
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Not as fancy as some, but it is a dissy.

YHM FF Handguard
CLE 2 stage trigger
RRA collapsable stock
G27 grip
Busshy upper
Armalite lower
Burris Speed Dot optic
Arms #40 BUIS
3 prong FS to be replaced w/Vortex or Phantom
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Would there be a noticeable weight increase if I replace the standard handguards with a yhm lightweight 4 rail tube?   Is the barrell lightening treatment worth it?  I have a colt hbar that I had cut down to a 16 inch dissipator and have been considering lightening it.  About how much does it cost?

There is a weight increase, but not to much. I haven't weighed it. It is noticeable, but lighter then an HBAR.

The light weight conversion is worth every penny. But it might be cheaper to have a 20" cut down. And then it would be lighter too. Mine was done by Kurt at KKF. He has a forum here in the Industry Forums. Post him a note and he'll quote you a price. You colt barrel with that done would be lighter then a "standard" dissy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not to Hyjack this thread, but I though dissapators have full lenght gas systems with 18" barrels... but the barrels available at Mod1 have carbine length gas systems...

So is my understanding wrong, or are the Mod1 barrels not true dissapators?

Dissipator is a model name that refers to Bushmaster rifles. Others copy the design and there may be variations. All "authentic" dissy's are 16" barrels with teh carbine gas system. At least the ones sold by Bushmaster.

Link Posted: 1/23/2005 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's mine

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/dissy_yhm_002.sized.jpg

LMT Fixed Rear Sight
YHM 2 piece handguards
Tango Down rail covers

Bushmaster lower
Vltor standard stock
Tango Down pistol grip
MagPul trigger guard

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/dissy_yhm_diag_closed_jpg.sized.jpg

More pics here

Great pix, Lancelot.

I'm sure there is a story or two behind those 'in-vehicle' pix, huh?

Nice hardware as well. Nice work!

I do executive protection details. The pics aren't mine, but were taken on a detail. I can neither confirm nor deny the existance of pictures of the war wagon in my gallery.

Link Posted: 1/23/2005 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Kind of a Dissy...

Link Posted: 1/23/2005 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Zeruel- Thanks for the run down on your parts!  I am planning my fist build and hope to buy it all through EE (and some vendors there).

Lancelot (or anyone)- Wouldn't a mid-length gas system work just as well (or better) as a CAR gas system?  My (limited) understanding is that the mid-length provides for smoother cycling, and I've read the distance from the breach face to the gas port then to the crown is some really optimum ratio, especially when compared to a CAR system.  If that's the case then the only concern is that the front of a 4-rail system completely cover the gas block.  Does anyone know if they would?

Appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Capn_Crunch

I like that look.  Can you tell me about your barrel?
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Lancelot-
I looked at the Bushmaster barrels, the appear to have a taper at the very end which I don't notice on yours.  Looks to go from about .75 to .71 the last half inch.  Is this where it's threaded?  If so can I count on the threading going all the way to the .75 dia part of the barrel?  I don't like the look of any 'step' in the barrel in front of the FSB.  Thanks!

Don't mean to post too much, just crave lots of info so I can make the best choice :)
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#31]
look what I have started
maybe its time to do a 20 incher since everyone wants to do the dissy now
hahahaha
or an SPR
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 2:45:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Zeruel- Thanks for the run down on your parts!  I am planning my fist build and hope to buy it all through EE (and some vendors there).

Lancelot (or anyone)- Wouldn't a mid-length gas system work just as well (or better) as a CAR gas system?  My (limited) understanding is that the mid-length provides for smoother cycling, and I've read the distance from the breach face to the gas port then to the crown is some really optimum ratio, especially when compared to a CAR system.  If that's the case then the only concern is that the front of a 4-rail system completely cover the gas block.  Does anyone know if they would?

Appreciate any input.

The dissipator is an older design. The mid-length is newer. My understanding is tha the gas system on a mid length is superior to the carbine system. I suppose you could take a midlength and build a dissy clone, but you'd have to either have someone mount the extra front sight base in the right place, or, go with a rifle length ff tube and mount the front sight on the top rail.

If I were to do this, it would be a mid length gas system with a LaRue 12.0 over a LaRue gas block with a Troy folding front. (Just my opnion.) This would give you the dissy look, lots of rail space, and the advantage of the rifle length sight radius, without the added weight.
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 2:48:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Lancelot-
I looked at the Bushmaster barrels, the appear to have a taper at the very end which I don't notice on yours.  Looks to go from about .75 to .71 the last half inch.  Is this where it's threaded?  If so can I count on the threading going all the way to the .75 dia part of the barrel?  I don't like the look of any 'step' in the barrel in front of the FSB.  Thanks!

Don't mean to post too much, just crave lots of info so I can make the best choice :)

I can't speak to barrel diameter, but if you look at mine its using a standard A2 flash hider. All the "post ban" barrels had a slightly thinner end around the muzzle. Not much just enough to notice. I'm pretty sure that's the way they all come before threading. The post ban barrels I had, which have since all been threaded look just fine to me. You don't see that "step" down at the muzzle end.

I'll see if I have a close up of the muzzle.

Link Posted: 1/24/2005 2:50:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Kind of a Dissy...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/capcocrunchopoint/DSC09488.jpg

Hmmm... MRP goodness.
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 2:57:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I had to relieve a tad off the gas block for the RAS to fit

Link Posted: 1/24/2005 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#36]
That's what I was planning, a mid-length gas system with a lightweight YHM rifle length FF tube.  I presume there's just enough room in front of the front sight for the YHM FF end cap.  Anyone know this for sure?  A pic of your barrel end would be fine or just double check with your eyes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2005 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Is this what you're looking for?
Link Posted: 1/25/2005 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#38]
So I guess there are more dissys out there, and railed dissys at that, then we thougth possible, huh? Kinda cool....

Link Posted: 1/25/2005 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
All the "post ban" barrels had a slightly thinner end around the muzzle. Not much just enough to notice. I'm pretty sure that's the way they all come before threading. The post ban barrels I had, which have since all been threaded look just fine to me. You don't see that "step" down at the muzzle end.

It has nothing to do with the threads.  Take a look at any military A2 or M4 barrel and you'll see the same step down behind the threads.  I'm not sure but I think it is to allow military blank firing adapters to be installed.  I have no idea why Bushmater, Colt and others included the step down on their preban barrels but they did.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2005 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All the "post ban" barrels had a slightly thinner end around the muzzle. Not much just enough to notice. I'm pretty sure that's the way they all come before threading. The post ban barrels I had, which have since all been threaded look just fine to me. You don't see that "step" down at the muzzle end.

It has nothing to do with the threads.  Take a look at any military A2 or M4 barrel and you'll see the same step down behind the threads.  I'm not sure but I think it is to allow military blank firing adapters to be installed.  I have no idea why Bushmater, Colt and others included the step down on their preban barrels but they did.  

I seem to remember from my military days that the blank firing device clamped onto the flash hider. It did not touch the barrel.  If a barrel doesn't have a flash hider or threads, how does a BFD stay on?

Link Posted: 1/25/2005 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
That's what I was planning, a mid-length gas system with a lightweight YHM rifle length FF tube.  I presume there's just enough room in front of the front sight for the YHM FF end cap.  Anyone know this for sure?

I've ordered the parts last week to make just that.. I'll let you know in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2005 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I seem to remember from my military days that the blank firing device clamped onto the flash hider. It did not touch the barrel.  If a barrel doesn't have a flash hider or threads, how does a BFD stay on?

It attaches to the flash hider, but it has a U-shaped slot at the rear that the barrel must fit through.  I could be wrong about the BFA being the reason.  It may be some other device like a silencer or a NATO rifle grenade or something that that they needed to maintain compatibility with.

Whatever the reason may be, the older A1 barrels were thin enough that they didn't need a step down the heavier A2 and M4 barrels have the step.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2005 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#43]
PointlessSilly-Please do, shoot me an IM or email!

steve-oh-Yes, that's just what I was looking for.  The step doesn't look as bad as I thought , sandwiched as such between your front flip and the hider.  But you've whet my appitite, can we see the rest?

Who's front flip is that?
Link Posted: 1/29/2005 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#44]

In order from stock to muzzle:

* 6-position collapsible stock assembly
* Brownells CAR-AMBI sling mount
* TangoDown Battlegrip (currently storing AA batteries)
* Magpul trigger guard
* Daniel Defense 12.0 free-float rail system
* Magpul XT rail covers (X3)
* TangoDown Vertical Battlegrip (currently storing M3 batteries)
* Bushnell 52-0021 HOLOsight
* Ladder style rail covers (X3)
* Steamlight M3 (it’ll work for now & already had it)
* A2 flash hider

(The Dissipator’s gas block had to be shaved in order for the DD forearm to fit.)
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#45]
How accurate is a dissipator assembly? What range would you say 20" and no less?
Link Posted: 1/31/2005 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
How accurate is a dissipator assembly? What range would you say 20" and no less?

Can you please restate the question?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top