Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2005 1:43:55 PM EDT
Local dealer says this parts kit is not legal to own if I have a semi auto lower in my residence.
I dont see a sear in the picture and I thought anyone can own a M16 bolt (in Florida anyway).
Anyone know the facts here?
Thanks

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Perfectly legal, just throw away the fire control group (trigger, disconnector, hammer and auto-sear) THEN buy your lower.

Having the entire kit AND a lower would be illegal as it can be shown in a court that you had 'intent' to violate the NFA.

Just get rid of those 4 parts and your pefectly ok.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that thing to the right of the trigger the sear?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The part right below the hammer is the sear.

WIZZO

EDIT: My advice would be to buy it and throw those FCG and sear parts into a pond or river on your way home.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Trash teh FCG and sear, then buy some springs and detents that appear to be missing from your kit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW it looks like the fire control group parts are A1 (safe-semi-full) not A2 (safe-semi-burst). The hammer doesn't have a burst cam or burst spring, the burst disconnector isn't there and the trigger doesn't have the "bump outs" where the two disconnector springs go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The part right below the hammer is the sear.

WIZZO

EDIT: My advice would be to buy it and throw those FCG and sear parts into a pond or river on your way home.

Thats what I'll do.
Its hard to find a new Colt 1/7 Govt  barrel anyway. They want just under 900 for the whole thing. The upper with that barrel and the bolt group would cost about that anyway.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Go ahead and send the fire control group to me and I'll toss them in a pond for you!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Get rid of the sear,grind the hook off the hammer the tail off the disconector and some JB weld for the opening in the rear of the trigger then grind smoothe and you should be good with those parts or swap them to some one who will trade semi only parts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]
$895 seems a bit high, don't you think?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Its hard to find a new Colt 1/7 Govt  barrel anyway. They want just under 900 for the whole thing. The upper with that barrel and the bolt group would cost about that anyway.

... personally, that seems high to me.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Basically you're buying an upper, as stocks aren't that expensive.  $900 seems high to me as well, but it's all Colt, and if that's your bag, I'm sure you're used to overpaying!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you looked at CDNN's site? They have Colt M16A2 uppers for sale. Pick up one of thos, then get a Colt A2 stock off the EE for 40-50 bucks and a new LPK and you're good to go for a hell of alot cheaper than 900 bucks.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems high too.

Is it me or is there no bolt carrier in that kit? I see the chargeing handle but maybe its inside the top.

Also if one put in a M16 selector into a fully semi only gun would it flip back to the auto position? And would it still be legal?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]
btt
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 3:45:48 AM EDT
[#15]
i would not pay anywhere near that much for what youre showing in the pics.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Seems high too.

Is it me or is there no bolt carrier in that kit? I see the chargeing handle but maybe its inside the top.

Also if one put in a M16 selector into a fully semi only gun would it flip back to the auto position? And would it still be legal?

I was told there was a "full auto" bolt group included.
It's been a while since I've been here but 6 months ago I remember a Colt 1/7 chrome Govt profile barrel (alone) being near $300.
If that is still correct then an upper with the bolt group and that barrel would be close to $900.
Obviously I need to research this further.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Go ahead and send the fire control group to me and I'll toss them in a pond for you!

No, don't send the FCG to him, it's a waste of money, send it to me because it's legal where I live.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know coondition of that kit, but new Colt upper assy's with BG are like $7-900.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
What about the selector? Is that legal to install in a normally semi auto gun? Since it by itself wouldn't make it full auto I think yes. And more importantly would it flip back all the way just for show?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i would not pay anywhere near that much for what youre showing in the pics.

Link Posted: 10/14/2005 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#21]
send it to me for legality verification.  When I return them...everything'll be legal
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#22]
In the picture, you have the trigger above the hammer and the auto sear below, next to the trigger is the diconnector and the FA selector is beneath the rear sling mount, underneath the disconnector. Those parts should get you some good money in the E/E. (All NFA rules apply) At least enough to cover the rest of what you need.

They are correct in saying that you can't have a receiver and those parts together, without exposing yourself to felony charges. I'd get rid of the auto bolt carrier, to be safe, at least in my home state. Some people have them machined to turn them into semi configuration.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I don't know coondition of that kit, but new Colt upper assy's with BG are like $7-900.

Uhh no.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, don't send the FCG to him, it's a waste of money, send it to me because it's legal where I live.hr

OK, LRRPS, I got first dibbs!!  I'm sure I could properly dispose of it for him.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Seems high too.

Why would you want to do that? No one will notice its position anyway.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Seems high too.

Why would you want to do that? No one will notice its position anyway.

People I know would. Those that don't it doesn't really matter to me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok, so they see its in that position... Then what?
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Ok, so they see its in that position... Then what?

Unfortunately nothing. My brother went to the military and he wrote in a letter that is was fun to flip it over into the 3rd position. And when he got back he flipped the safty a couple times and looked bummed because it stopped.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I wouldn't pay $900 for that unless it was made 2001 or later with everthing matching and new.

If it has a gray receiver and used I wouldn't pay more than $500.

Link Posted: 10/14/2005 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#30]
$900 is a little steep.  Another $100-$200 and you could buy a complete Colt rifle.  

You could just Dremel the FCG into compliance.  Cut the hook off the hammer, the tail off the disconnect, cut the trigger out, and buy a new selector.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
$900 is a little steep.  Another $100-$200 and you could buy a complete Colt rifle.  

You could just Dremel the FCG into compliance.  Cut the hook off the hammer, the tail off the disconnect, cut the trigger out, and buy a new selector.

Actually, you can make the selector legal too; by grinding off the shoulder in the middle.  What you end up with is a three position semi auto piece.  The only potential problem is that. if a law enforcement person is checking your piece out, you might have to take the thing apart to prove it's semi auto in both positions.

So you're "safer" by just scrapping it and going w/a dedicated semi piece.
Link Posted: 10/15/2005 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, you can make the selector legal too; by grinding off the shoulder in the middle.  What you end up with is a three position semi auto piece.  The only potential problem is that. if a law enforcement person is checking your piece out, you might have to take the thing apart to prove it's semi auto in both positions.

So you're "safer" by just scrapping it and going w/a dedicated semi piece.

That is very rare that a LEO would do that. But I bet that one wouldn't really know what to look for if he did open it up. It would only take a second to explain it to them what the deal is and calm them down.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top