Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/13/2007 9:20:10 PM EDT
Long time lurker first time poster.

Building my first SBR and while I am waiting for the ATF to return my form 1 I am trying to decide on what I should do for a upper.  Originally going with the MRP, but as I look around I am seriously contemplating going with a regular upper and a Larue or Daniel Defense.  Especially considering the cost difference.

Can anyone give me any performance feedback on the advantages of the MRP to justify the cost difference?  Or is just a cool factor because I also have to buy the eotech, and the light, and a laser would be damn cool too.............and it adds up.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
While monolithic uppers intrigue me, I'm not thrilled with the idea that, if you damage the rail, you lose the receiver.  I prefer standard receivers with Larue rails.  I like the Larues because they have anti-rotation devices.
Link Posted: 5/13/2007 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
While monolithic uppers intrigue me, I'm not thrilled with the idea that, if you damage the rail, you lose the receiver.  I prefer standard receivers with Larue rails.  I like the Larues because they have anti-rotation devices.

+1 Im with him on this one. I like the fact i can use standard parts, barrels, rails, receivers, ect.. the mono you cant..
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

+1 Im with him on this one. I like the fact i can use standard parts, barrels, rails, receivers, ect.. the mono you cant..

+1 Standard=parts availability at good prices.
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#4]
LaRue:

Link Posted: 5/14/2007 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#5]
get a DD.
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 5/14/2007 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
While monolithic uppers intrigue me, I'm not thrilled with the idea that, if you damage the rail, you lose the receiver...

I love my MRP 10.5.  What's going to wear out first, the rail or the barrel?  I can replace/swap barrels in 5 minutes with one wrench.  Want a longer barrel?  Five minutes, a wrench and a barrel.  Like 6.8SPC?  Five minutes, a wrench, a barrel and a bolt.  My only beef is it could weigh just a bit less.
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
While monolithic uppers intrigue me, I'm not thrilled with the idea that, if you damage the rail, you lose the receiver...

I love my MRP 10.5.  What's going to wear out first, the rail or the barrel?  I can replace/swap barrels in 5 minutes with one wrench.  Want a longer barrel?  Five minutes, a wrench and a barrel.  Like 6.8SPC?  Five minutes, a wrench, a barrel and a bolt.  My only beef is it could weigh just a bit less.

I was referring to damage not wear.  What if you want to change rail length or style?
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#12]
LaRue.

DD makes a good rail too and you can't go wrong with either.  While the MRP is neat, I think it's a bit of a waste.

Mike

Link Posted: 5/14/2007 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
LaRue:

www.fototime.com/0B740556112EAD5/standard.jpg

That is damn sexy!

Love the Hk sights!
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 And the barrels are a bargain for the price. Availability doesn't seem to be an issue either.
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
LaRue or DD, you really cant go wrong with either, although I am partial to LaRue.

I am not a fan of the LMT MRP due to its using a proprietary barrel, and personally I think quick change barrel availability is over-rated. Reason being, is you will still need to re-zero your sights (optic & iron) after barrel changes. So why not have a complete spare upper assembly.

Now, the monolithic railed upper does have its benefits for mounting various optics, IR's and NV. But I dont have a need for such devices.

What would be really neat is if, say the DD locking collar for the lite rail, was an integral part of the upper reciever. This way you could put any length DD-Lite rail on it that you desire.
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 For Team LaRue

Link Posted: 5/14/2007 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a larue on my 10.5, but the main benefit of the MRP for me would be the future gas piston upgrade if it ever comes out.  When it does I will be buying a CQB MRP, and upgrading my Rifle length MRP.
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have a larue on my 10.5, but the main benefit of the MRP for me would be the future gas piston upgrade if it ever comes out.  When it does I will be buying a CQB MRP, and upgrading my Rifle length MRP.
i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/docsprague/HPIM0415.jpg

if they ever come out with one, i will definitly have one. but untill then ill stick to my standard stuff.
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was referring to damage not wear.  What if you want to change rail length or style?

Yeah, you'd have to replace it or not use the rail.  They're solid as tanks, however (see my comment on weight).
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Must

Get

Tax

stamp

Link Posted: 5/15/2007 3:16:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I do like the DD because they are LITE and WELL MADE

I love LMT but wont ever buy there MRP

I hear alot of good about Larue rails

I used a KAC RAS on my LMT M4 defender 2000

it was EASY to put on  MAIN REASON
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top