Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2008 2:06:54 AM EDT
I was shopping around on ctd the other day and saw titanium firing pins for sale. It stated that they somehow improve accuracy, or something. can anyone give me the lowdown? are they worth 30 bucks? do they really do anything for your rifle?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  Save your money, or buy a couple more mags.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 2:57:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The theory that is handed out is that  a lighter FP will move faster and the "lock time" being faster will result in better accuracy
I can see the reasoning but I believe the change in lock time is such a small percentage to make no measurable difference.

Seems to be another case of using a special metal as an advertising ploy
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 3:12:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Gimmick.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#4]
They are more prone to piercing your primer and erroding the tip vs a steel chromed firing pin than increasing accuracy.  Its only improving lock time AFTER the hammer strikes the firing pin which is like 95% of the travel into the cycle and then its only a small improvment in lock time in the last 5%... its useless for aiding accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Gimmick.

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They are more prone to piercing your primer and erroding the tip vs a steel chromed firing pin than increasing accuracy.  Its only improving lock time AFTER the hammer strikes the firing pin which is like 95% of the travel into the cycle and then its only a small improvment in lock time in the last 5%... its useless for aiding accuracy.

What he said
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Rather have a TITANIUM PIN THAN KNS
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]
the one I put in my series 70 now makes it drop proof
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:57:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Rather have a TITANIUM PIN THAN KNS
But you still want an Accuwedge for hyper accuracy!
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Look at it this way: if you get one, you can tell people at the range "I have a titanium firing pin."

Remember, "Titanium" sounds fancy!  Now who is gonna start making titanium receivers?
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Waste of money stick with standard pins
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#13]
how about durability? Does it break less than steel?
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
how about durability? Does it break less than steel?

I believe they are less durable.  You can buy a lot of standard firing pins for the price too
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#15]
You're going to hear a lot of hype from both sides of this topic.

The titanium firing pins are difficult to get nowadays, since sales to the US military for combat ops in Afghanistan and Iraq seems to be taking up a lot of the supply. Titanium is more difficult to fabricate and machine than steel so it DOES cost more. The low price for them is in the $26 range (e.g. Cheaperthandirt with member discount) when you can get them...

I use them in a couple of my ARs. After my first "doubling" incident on commercial 223 ammo (which uses light-skinned primers) I switched to Titaniums. If I am going to use normal steel firing pins I usually only chamber MIL SPEC military surplus or "tactical" type ammo which are specifically designed for MIL and LEO AR/M16 applications.

Of course, whether or not you use TI or steel pins, whenever chambering a round you should ALWAYS make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction! Using a TI pin does NOT guarantee you will never have a doubling or slamfire incident. It just lowers the chances.

BTW using steel firing pins I've experience 3 doubles/slam fires since I started shooting the Sweet 16 back in the '70s. Although I have fired far fewer rounds with TI pins, I have not yet had a single double/slam fire with a TI pin.

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Every double I have ever seen has been due to the FCG and not the firing pin.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Funny.  I just got back from the range.  My (not to be named) high, high dollar AR with a titanium firing pin started to FTE.  The spent brass was stuck in the bolt and would only come out after forcing it.  I looked at the brass the and the primer had been punched through and a piece of it was stuck in the firing pin hole, causing it to stick in the bolt.  I took the bolt apart and several tiny round pieces of previous primers fell out.  Imagine my surprise.
When I got home, I examined the tip of the firing pin under magnification, and, lo and behold, the damn thing was eroded badly.  Only a tiny speck of the tip was still there.  I'm surprised it fired at all.
Just for grins, I took a look at all my other AR firing pins, which have seen much more service than this gun.  All is well with them.  Thought I would get on ARF.com and see what was what about titanium pins and found this thread.  How bout that?  Just ordered replacement regular pins from Brownells.
Here's a pic of one of the spent brass.  Hole in the primer, small piece still attached and got stuck in the firing pin hole causing ejection problems.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The titanium firing pins are difficult to get nowadays, since sales to the US military for combat ops in Afghanistan and Iraq seems to be taking up a lot of the supply. Titanium is more difficult to fabricate and machine than steel so it DOES cost more. The low price for them is in the $26 range (e.g. Cheaperthandirt with member discount) when you can get them...

I use them in a couple of my ARs. After my first "doubling" incident on commercial 223 ammo (which uses light-skinned primers) I switched to Titaniums. If I am going to use normal steel firing pins I usually only chamber MIL SPEC military surplus or "tactical" type ammo which are specifically designed for MIL and LEO AR/M16 applications.

Of course, whether or not you use TI or steel pins, whenever chambering a round you should ALWAYS make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction! Using a TI pin does NOT guarantee you will never have a doubling or slamfire incident. It just lowers the chances.

BTW using steel firing pins I've experience 3 doubles/slam fires since I started shooting the Sweet 16 back in the '70s. Although I have fired far fewer rounds with TI pins, I have not yet had a single double/slam fire with a TI pin.

What military is buying titanium firing pins? Not the US military.

The only time I had a double (triple) tap was when I had a bad disconnector spring.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes/Tech%20Note%202,%20Titanium%20Firing%20Pins%20ArmaLite%20considers%20Gener….pdf

Good info.  And they don't seem to have changed their minds in 11 years.  I'll stick to the factory stuff.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Titanium pins will tend to erode real fast if you happen to pierce a primer - unlike stock pins that can take a little punishment.  An eroded pin is sharper / jaged and will tend to pierce more primers.  More piercings means even more erosion and it just gets worse.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The titanium firing pins are difficult to get nowadays, since sales to the US military for combat ops in Afghanistan and Iraq seems to be taking up a lot of the supply.

I'm going to run up a flag that is a first time for me on ARFCOM

Let's see some proof (Or at least so supporting info) that the U.S. Mil is buying up all these firing pins...

And for the rest of you... if you bought a Ti pin...You just made my list of All star bucketheads who have more money then sense... They rank right up there with the accuwedge...

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top