Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2009 11:39:40 AM EDT
I picked up a first generation MGI quick change upper.  It was really an impulsive buy with me justifying to myself that it was worth it since I wouldn't have to buy all the parts (including hand guard) to assemble an upper for my project pistol AR, just need a barrel and flash suppressor...maybe a front sight.

I did a quick search before I bought it, and I didn't turn up anything negative about it.  But what says the collective brain trust here?

Is it a good product?

Would you use it?

What's (if any) is problematic with it?

The first gen looks and functions just like this version, without the lever guard: (from what I know)

http://www.mgimilitary.com/qcb.htm

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I think every time you remove the barrel you will need to adjust the sights or scope.
For the same price of that 1 QCB upper i could get 2 uppers with DD hanguards.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually didn't buy the new one. I bought a used one.  Other than potential resighting...anyone else care to chime in?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know about these?
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one of the earlier ones.  POI shift was claimed to be less than 1 MOA.  I never got to test it for accuracy, I don't care if it makes itty bitty groups, they are for up close stuff for me.  

I thought it was cool for a while, but a friend thought it was cooler and wanted it bad so I sold it to him.  

The earlier ones were a bit on the rough side, I stripped a screw or two.  You adjusted tension by bending the levers which seemed cheesy.  

I kind of miss it, but the cost of one is roughly the same cost as a complete normal upper and it did not justify is cost to me.  IF you have multiple calibers that you shoot it would be an advantage.

There is the oft overlooked "James Bond" factor.  It was pretty slick to be able to tear down a gun and pack it in a back pack.  I think the barrel assembly ends up being like 18" if it is a 16" barrel, so it fit in a daypack or briefcase nice.

It was a good product.  If I had gone through with my .458 socom plans it would have saved me bank.  Just a new barrel and bolt and done.

Link Posted: 5/30/2009 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I've heard the quality of the first ones are just as good as the second version, but it just doesn't look as cool, hehe. I have the second version and like it a lot, it is a solid product. And yeah i can fit a 16" rifle into my Pelican laptop case with ease. Point of impact doesn't change that much even when using different calibers. I love it's flexibility since i have a ton of AR parts. Another reason i got was because after a full-auto beta-c dump with my RDIAS the barrel gets really hot, so with this upper i can just swap out the barrel, with gloves of course, and i'm ready for more shooting
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
There is very, very little shift in POI, about the same if you were shooting in different weather conditions or at a different elevation.  Mine has never shifted more than quarter MOA at 200 yards.  Cleaning is a snap too-you can really clean out the nooks and crannies when disassembled.

SAR had a nice write up on it about two years ago.  They do cost some bank, but remember that an upper will typically cost you around $125 and FF hand-guards about $225 and up; so you are going to pay approximately twice as much for the integrated MGI piece.

But the coolness of caliber change capabilities, ease of swapping out barrels, compact storage, etc. may make it worth it for you.  I like my 2nd gen unit a bunch.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the newer railed upper.

The POI shift is so small that I dope out my sites/optics to each barrel, shift is less than my ability to detect.  Under 2 moa could easily be under 1 moa.

I haven't needed to adjust my "dope" book since I started it 2 years ago and I've swapped barrels around dozens of times.

I've got a little over 3k in it in parts.

I can use AR or non-modified AK magazines.
I have A2, CAR, and M4 stocks as well as whats pictured
Its the only rail system that lets me swap between CAR ans Rifle length rails with no more than an allen wrench.

In the pic are 16" 5.56 and 7.62x39 barrels and a shaved A2.

I have 5 distinct AR's for that 3K

That's $600 a rifle.

I can change calibers for about $300 a pop when figuring that between the 5.56 bolt and the 7.62x39 bolt will fit almost all other calibers offered in the AR15.

My next buys are:

Voltor upper with FAL side charging handle by ASA.

Grease Gun Magwell and 45acp DI barrel and bolt.  $750 total

5.45 Barrel and Magwell.  $500 total

6.8 Barrel $200

And a SBR tax stamp $200

The more calibers I add the cheaper it gets.  Toss on a SBR stamp and later a DIAS and I have everything from a 50 Beowolf to 22LR in full auto in whatever barrel length I feel like.

And if the Ares AAR ever gets the Shrike belt feed I can have a belt fed LMG to.

The only thing I haven't figured out is if the POI shift is small enough for a true precision/DMR rig in 6.5 Grendel.  If not I'll just set up a dedicated upper.

I'll also add the MGI is great for making 6.8 brass.

Shoot up some brass cased 7.62x39 or pick some up at a range or if you have to, pay for it.

Prep case and size neck to 6.8, reload as if it is 6.8 but case volume is less so reduction of load may be needed.

Load the 6.8x39 in AK47 mags.  Attach your 6.8 barrel to the upper and leave your AK magwell on the lower.

Shoot 6.8x39 and each shell that ejects is fire formed 6.8 brass.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:22:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies guys.  Nice setup, "SOC!"

I  bought the MGI for about what an upper, rail, nuts, etc...would have cost me (minus barrel). So guess I'll give it a go.  I just ordered a 7" Kitty Kat barrel from Spikes to build a pistol with the QCB upper.  If the pistol works well, I'll start adding parts to for other configurations....and maybe work toward what "SOC" has.

The finish on the MGI isn't great.  I may have it stripped and coated at some point, but for now I'm after function.  

Thanks again guys....hopefully I have something to report back with when the Spikes oder comes in.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys.  Nice setup, "SOC!"

I  bought the MGI for about what an upper, rail, nuts, etc...would have cost me (minus barrel). So guess I'll give it a go.  I just ordered a 7" Kitty Kat barrel from Spikes to build a pistol with the QCB upper.  If the pistol works well, I'll start adding parts to for other configurations....and maybe work toward what "SOC" has.

The finish on the MGI isn't great.  I may have it stripped and coated at some point, but for now I'm after function.  

Thanks again guys....hopefully I have something to report back with when the Spikes oder comes in.

I plan to have mine stripped and coated in DiamondBlack.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thought I'd update this with a few pictures.

I started with a 7" Kitty Kat barrel but will probably add at least one more 5.56 barrel.

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]

That is a nice setup.  I can't wait for my SBR paperwork to get approved.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top