Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2010 1:57:00 PM EDT
Quick question about my M&P15....The receiver I have is not marked as far as caliber...So I wondering if its able to be used with other calibers other than .223/5.56? (of course a new upper would be needed)

Also I am in Commifornia if that matters
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as federal regulations are concerned, you can use any caliber that works with your lower on an AR.  The regulation requires the maker to mark the gun with a caliber-all the MP15s I've seen have "CAL 5.56MM" marked on the lower above the trigger pin.  In any case, that marking is moot; there's no federal regulation requiring the user to keep to the caliber marked on an AR lower.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#2]
here a pic to sorta clear things....

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As far as federal regulations are concerned, you can use any caliber that works with your lower on an AR.  The regulation requires the maker to mark the gun with a caliber-all the MP15s I've seen have "CAL 5.56MM" marked on the lower above the trigger pin.  In any case, that marking is moot; there's no federal regulation requiring the user to keep to the caliber marked on an AR lower.

I'd have to go pull it out of the safe, but I'm pretty sure that I have an M&P that's marked CAL "5.45 X 39" but I'm not positive. I also think I've seen other receivers (various manufacturers) marked in 7.62 X 39 as well as 6.8 SPC and possibly .50 BEO on the Beowulf complete rifles.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a S&W lower at the fun show, was born just as a lower, not off a rifle..... it has no caliber markings on it either
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 5 S&W ARs, not polymer 22LR models, and 1 of them, the oldest, is marked 5.56mm on the lower receiver. The rest are devoid of caliber marking.

The one that is marked 5.56, is from the initial production of S&W M&P-15s that were produced by Stag Arms under contract for S&W.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top