Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2010 1:18:38 PM EDT
Nickel Plating...i always try to do something different so here is something i did sort of as a "mantle piece" fully functional AR15...Nickel Plated Lower Receiver...the process is pretty intense but cool as well...any feedback would be awesome...specs are
Nickel Lower (before) Spikes Tactical
LPK - Rock River
Upper(s) - 1 picture is Sabre Defence (ps want sabre gear cheaper email me...) the other is spikes upper/bcg with Daniel Defense barrel with Troy quad rails installed and nickel plated barrel...
6 pos standard stock

i'm waiting on 3 upper receivers to be plated in nickel...they should look just as killer

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/reflectionsburn/Nickel4.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/reflectionsburn/NickelFull5.jpg

its not too overwhelming just something to stand out and be a tad bit different
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/reflectionsburn/NickelComplete4.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/reflectionsburn/NickelFull1.jpg
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats hot. ight as well do the whole thing though, IMHO.  No half-gold plated toys hung up at any of MY favorite dictators places.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you do the plating or did you send it out?

Very cool by the way. Now I want one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Not my cup of tea but it is unique !!!...................
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not my cup of tea but it is unique !!!...................

^ditto. Still cool looking though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Do the Upper
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks interesting.

Got me thinking though- I wonder how a carbon fiber wrapped lower would look...
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks more like decorative nickel plating than electroless nickel...?

Unless you polished the heck out of it before/after the plating process.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#9]
pimp my black rifle !

i kinda like it ! congrats !
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
87gn yes it was polished like a mo fo...copper first...2x then polished like hell for the nickel to come out mirrored..

i have 3 uppers next to be done...see how they look to mix one with a nickel lower and the other with a black lower...it is fully functional, just something different...should see the order that i have to do for a gentleman in florida...all hardware has to be red...to match his jordan shoes...pretty funny...but hey to each their own...price wise really wasnt too bad...about $300 to do a lower and/or upper...so really not outrageous after the process is done...
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#11]
dude...that thing looks cool please keep the pics coming with your future builds...I like it
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks bud...have most of my builds posted at www.556-tactical.com ...just a hobby for me...so the AR15 gods dont get upset...something that i am passionate about doing and truly enjoy...
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#13]
You should make matching grills!

ETA:  Not my personal favorite but it looks like a quality job for sure

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks cool. I probably would have went for NP3 Plus instead though. It would be a matte satin finish. POF and LWRC had several models like this at SHOT. The actions of each were significantly smoothed up. My guess is they would be very easy to clean also.

This bright nickel would look good on OD green furnature.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Needs some wire rims and curb feelers! J/K
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#16]
First one I have seen, cool.

GM
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Unique and appealing in a non-tactical, showpiece kind of way.

Needs wood furniture.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I was expecting something horrible, but that actually looks really good.  I like the contrast with the black upper.  I don't think a nickel upper mated to a nickel lower would look as nice though, that might be overkill.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Colt used to offer nickel plating as a factory option on the SP1, except it was matte not polished, they called it "ColtGuard."   Here's a thread with a photo of one.

ColtGuard SP1 thread
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#21]
trying do pull something off a tad different with tasteful still a factor i personally think a nickel top and bottom would look a bit much but to each their own...next will be nickel upper with black lower....should keep tastefullness and not overkill with the black accented hardware...
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I like it.  Good job on being different.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Needs wood furniture.

That would actually look really awesome with wood furniture on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Colt used to offer nickel plating as a factory option on the SP1, except it was matte not polished, they called it "ColtGuard."   Here's a thread with a photo of one.

ColtGuard SP1 thread
To this day i kick myself for passing on one of those for $500.

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#25]
thanks folks hmmm wood furniture...not me personally but i definately could see the tastefulness in that show piece, i can only say it simply as one of my clients... I LOVE THIS $HIT!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#26]
OP,
I would like to see a few pics of it near foliage to see if it blends more than it blings. Looks nice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Nickel Plating...i always try to do something different so here is something i did sort of as a "mantle piece" fully functional AR15...Nickel Plated Lower Receiver...the process is pretty intense but cool as well...any feedback would be awesome...specs are

Nickel Lower (before) Spikes Tactical

LPK - Rock River

Upper(s) - 1 picture is Sabre Defence (ps want sabre gear cheaper email me...) the other is spikes upper/bcg with Daniel Defense barrel with Troy quad rails installed and nickel plated barrel...

6 pos standard stock

i'm waiting on 3 upper receivers to be plated in nickel...they should look just as killer

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/reflectionsburn/Nickel4.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/reflectionsburn/NickelFull5.jpg

its not too overwhelming just something to stand out and be a tad bit different

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/reflectionsburn/NickelComplete4.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/reflectionsburn/NickelFull1.jpg

That is absolutely fuckin' SICK!  

Thoroughly impressed, would love to see what it looks like when you get the uppers and everything back from nickel plating.

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#28]
i actually did not know that you could nickel plate aluminum,good to know. i have one of the kimber CDPs with the aluminum frame that i basically quit shooting after 4000 rds, because i was afraid the rails was goona wear too badly. this might be worth looking into.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#29]
thanks much folks i thought so too...like i said really wasnt too pricey...and looks killer...
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

thanks much folks i thought so too...like i said really wasnt too pricey...and looks killer...

How much was it? I might be interested in this

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#31]
BLING, BLING!  it's like Lil' Wayne joining the military. i think you'll definitely stand out. soulja boy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#32]
you may or may not have NRD, nickled rifle disease.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
thanks folks hmmm wood furniture...not me personally but i definately could see the tastefulness in that show piece, i can only say it simply as one of my clients... I LOVE THIS $HIT!!!!!!

There was a post with wood furniture. I thought it looked nice Maybe someone with better search skills than I can find it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a post with wood furniture. I thought it looked nice Maybe someone with better search skills than I can find it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://theartofbradsmith.com/WoodAR.jpg

That thing really needs a rifle length forearm. Maybe a wooden FF tube.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Needs wood furniture.

Yes! red/black cocobolo. In that case the barrel would have to be done in nickel too. A stainless barrel will not match the slightly yellowish nickel. Small parts all matte black. Not a truck gun!

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Screw wood, get some mother of pearl.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#38]
my eyes!! its burning my eyes!!!

i didnt know aluminum could take nickel, neat
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#39]
wow that wood work would look amazing that i can picture...umm as far as cost...really not bad just tedious as hell to do and trying to keep it fair he charged me like $300 for lower about $125 for 16" barrels, he has 3 uppers now which i think should fall around the $300 price...that is of course not the cost of the lower/upper/barrel themselves just the plating...i provided the gear...which i ordered in what the manufacturers call "in the white"...the guy that does it is one of those jewels unheard of...granted he does work primarily on wind istruments...finishing trombones/trumpets and the other type of brass instrument...his clientele goes literally from singapore to cairo, and i mean the towns in the country dont google cairo and find some town of 12 in texas, lol...he knows his $hit...just lives in bfe even for me...i drive him my parts so i can watch him work on stuff...pretty wicked job...
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

wow that wood work would look amazing that i can picture...umm as far as cost...really not bad just tedious as hell to do and trying to keep it fair he charged me like $300 for lower about $125 for 16" barrels, he has 3 uppers now which i think should fall around the $300 price...that is of course not the cost of the lower/upper/barrel themselves just the plating...i provided the gear...which i ordered in what the manufacturers call "in the white"...the guy that does it is one of those jewels unheard of...granted he does work primarily on wind istruments...finishing trombones/trumpets and the other type of brass instrument...his clientele goes literally from singapore to cairo, and i mean the towns in the country dont google cairo and find some town of 12 in texas, lol...he knows his $hit...just lives in bfe even for me...i drive him my parts so i can watch him work on stuff...pretty wicked job...

Aww Damn. I thought he might have had an FFL so I could send him something to finish. Oh well still cool, post pics once you get the whole gun finished. And +1 on the mother of pearl stock setup, that would be killer for sure.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 5:35:41 AM EDT
[#41]
can ship to me if wanted and i can have him do whatever...
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#43]
We say, you can do anything with an AR. This proves it.
Do you actually shoot that stick?
Are you afraid of scratching the finish?

That is truly a....SHO-GUN!
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like a space gun
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#45]
havent shot it yet...wifey is about to pop anytime now with our little girl and range is about 30mins out, trying to stay somewhat close
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#46]

what is that finish?? looks like a spikes lower

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

what is that finish?? looks like a spikes lower

something from the fun show. They had several different ARs and AR pistols with the chrome plating.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

can ship to me if wanted and i can have him do whatever...

Thats alright, I got your PM. I appreciate the offer though!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top