Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2010 7:08:21 PM EDT
I have an A2 rifle build in the works.  It is going to be exactly like a Gov't issue A2 rifle except for one thing (I think), the barrel is going to be 18" instead of 20".  The only real reason for this is that I own an 18" barrel and hav nothing else to do with it, and want to build a lock-stock-and barrel (no pun intended) A2 rifle.  I am a little concerned that my rifle is going to look a little weird, disproportioned.  Does anybody have any pics of what I am talking about?  Again this will be completely "stock", including the A2 butt stock, handguard, flash hider, one-piece A2 upper w/ integral carry handle, everything.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]

This is the 18" from CMMG. I would imagine yours would look similar except the butt stock.

Looks fine to me.

ETA: Where did you find a gov't profile 18" barrel?  have I been looking in the wrong place?
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be more concerned about function than with looks. I will function just fine.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the Bushmaster Dissipator rifle looks like that. (perhaps they have a different gas system though?) Here's a link––->http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3S16D.asp
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would be more concerned about function than with looks. I will function just fine.

People buy/acquire/build guns for a multitude of reasons.  There's nothing wrong with going for a certain look.  I have built plenty of guns where function was the only criteria.  What I am looking for is an A2 appearance.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
it will look cool IMO.  In between an a2 and a dissipator.  It *may* look a little off balance, but i think an a1 stock would fix that if youd be willing to branch away with that.  Looks close enough that most people wont notice, but it *might* look better and probably funtion better.  A2 is WAY too long for anything IMO.  Its not terrible for prone, but still too long for good NTCH shooting.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you care how it looked?  If it's what you want.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I can supply 1/2 the picture......

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#8]
18 inch full length radius, its a thing of beauty. Soft shooting and easy to point. A little front heavy with 6pos stock. I'd recommend a rifle length buffer for this setup just to complete the aesthetics and round out its function as an a2 clone. what's the shortest LOP (length of pull) fixed stock that uses a rifle buffer?
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

People buy/acquire/build guns for a multitude of reasons.  There's nothing wrong with going for a certain look.  I have built plenty of guns where function was the only criteria.  What I am looking for is an A2 appearance.[/quote

I think it would balance  and look fine.  

But thats taste

BTW is it a hbar?
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why would you care how it looked?  If it's what you want.

He wants to see pics of a A2 with 18inch tube

Not a big deal
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 1:16:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Inbetween these two...lol

Sorry wish i had an 18"er to show ya!

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I dunno...think I'm leaning towards getting a 20" gov't profile barrel.  Not that there is anything wrong with the 18's I saw in this thread, they all look good, it's just that the difference in length between 20 and 18 is more noticeable than I thought.  I want to wind up with a true rifleman's weapon (not that the 18's aren't weapons either!).  

Now the question is, where do I get a 20" gov't profile lapped barrel...

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd suggest Bravo or CMMG.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/CMMG-18-inch-SPR-MedCon-Rifle1235-2539.jpg

This is the 18" from CMMG. I would imagine yours would look similar except the butt stock.

Looks fine to me.

ETA: Where did you find a gov't profile 18" barrel? have I been looking in the wrong place?

I have one of those and although I haven't done much with it yet, I really like it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top