Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2010 5:28:53 PM EDT
I'm thinking of making a girlie AR-15 for my squeeze.

I'm thinking of polishing the upper and lower receiver and chrome plate the FSB, hand guard cap and the flash compensator.

I can pic up a pink stock from the cav store (I hope).

Then I started thinking that some one here must have done the same thing, if so do tell.

Also, some pics would be nice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you can "polish" the upper receiver.  

Also remember that anything you hard chrome... is not only going to cost you a ridiculous amount probably... but will also be uber hard to keep clean.

Your best bet is to get a standard upper for your cav arms lower and have it duracoated in color.  

Also you might consider the length of pull of that cav arms lower... isn't it an A2 length stock?  Might be a bit unwieldy for a female depending on height.  

Consider possibly one of those plum crazy lowers... and a lightweight profile barrel.  The lighter it is the more likely she will be into it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
No reason why you cant polish the upper and lower recievers, they are aluminum (obviously ya gotta strip them first). There was a guy that posted a pic of a rig he built and his recievers were polished. It wasnt my cup of tea but it was nicely done.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Also remember that anything you hard chrome... is not only going to cost you a ridiculous amount probably... but will also be uber hard to keep clean.

Your best bet is to get a standard upper for your cav arms lower and have it duracoated in color.  

Also you might consider the length of pull of that cav arms lower... isn't it an A2 length stock?  Might be a bit unwieldy for a female depending on height.  

Consider possibly one of those plum crazy lowers... and a lightweight profile barrel.  The lighter it is the more likely she will be into it.

What?????? Looks like you have never cleaned a hard chromed bolt or carrier.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Noveske Lower
Geissele trigger
Daniel Defense midlength upper 1/7"
BCM Gunfighter CH
Aimpurnt
CavArms pink furniture
Krylon Pink paint

- Clint
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure she wants pink stuff on her weapon before you buy it. I was considering building my wife an AR and asked if she would like anything pink on it. She replied, "That would look gay". She now has an evl blk 12.5" Crusader barreled SBR. I'm glad she didn't want pink. Look before you leap....
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Make sure she wants pink stuff on her weapon before you buy it. I was considering building my wife an AR and asked if she would like anything pink on it. She replied, "That would look gay". She now has an evl blk 12.5" Crusader barreled SBR. I'm glad she didn't want pink. Look before you leap....

My wife loves her's but I did keep the original black furniture that came with the upper and have a few M4 stocks and A2 grips laying around if she ever changes her mind. Gunscrubber will take the pink paint off too if she wants...

- Clint

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats a good point. When I was building my wifes rig she picked out LaRue UDE furniture.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, she gos nut's went she see's pink guns
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think thats its a A1 stock, not to sure...
Also, I have no idea what it would cost to have the HG cap, FSB and the cop. chromed out.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No reason why you cant polish the upper and lower recievers, they are aluminum (obviously ya gotta strip them first). There was a guy that posted a pic of a rig he built and his recievers were polished. It wasnt my cup of tea but it was nicely done.

How do you deal with the fact that it is no longer hard coated then?  Wouldnt that bring up all sorts of issues?

Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt mean clean like that.

I meant fingerprints and the like.  Constantly having to wipe it down to keep it shiny.  

But i guess i could be wrong on this certainly... Ive never had to mess with a bright shiny rifle and oil and powder residue and such.

OP...

another option would be possibly going with SI defense and one of their color anodize options.... I use their clear anodize on my lower... its not shiny.. but it is definitely different.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you deal with the fact that it is no longer hard coated then?  Wouldnt that bring up all sorts of issues?

Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt mean clean like that.

I meant fingerprints and the like.  Constantly having to wipe it down to keep it shiny.  

But i guess i could be wrong on this certainly... Ive never had to mess with a bright shiny rifle and oil and powder residue and such.

OP...

another option would be possibly going with SI defense and one of their color anodize options.... I use their clear anodize on my lower... its not shiny.. but it is definitely different.

I've seen polish frames on bikes, they seem to be ok...I don't know about the AR.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll have to fine a light SS barrel to go with it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Very nice, I was thinking about some kitty thing on the stock too, or maybe a skull with a pink bow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2w5pzdk.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2hwp40i.jpg

Noveske Lower
Geissele trigger
BCM Gunfighter CH
Aimpurnt
CavArms pink furniture
Krylon Pink paint

- Clint

were did ya get the sling?

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Did you check with her about what she wants?

A few years ago I was going to build or buy my wife a AR, she already had a M1A and a few other guns.

I showed her a pinky one pictured here just to judge her reaction.

She said "I want a AR...but if you get me a pink one like that I'll shove it up your ass...I'm not a sissy girl."

Soooo, she has a black one, and I wasn't harmed in any way.

ETA: I didn't read down far enough before I posted.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A few years ago I was going to build or buy my wife a AR, she already had a M1A and a few other guns.

She said "I want a AR...but if you get me a pink one like that I'll shove it up your ass...I'm not a sissy girl."

lol..I'm thinking of an A1 upper, middy light barrel and A1 butt-stock.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's the rig I did for my wife a while back.  Under the tube is a Colt HBAR bbl, chopped and reprofiled down to pencil profile.  It swings nice.

The BCG, trigger, mag catch, mag release button, flash-hider, ejection port cover and rod, are all hard-chromed (from DPMS, IIRC. I got them from the 'smith I was working for at the time.).

ETA:  selector lever is also hard chrome.  BUIS mounting crossbolt is SS.  Takedown and pivot pins are just stripped down to raw colors.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Noveske Lower
Geissele trigger
BCM Gunfighter CH
Aimpurnt
CavArms pink furniture
Krylon Pink paint

- Clint

Nice guitar strap sling. LOL
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noveske Lower
Geissele trigger
BCM Gunfighter CH
Aimpurnt
CavArms pink furniture
Krylon Pink paint

- Clint

were did ya get the sling?

It was the hardest part of the project, I searched everywhere. I finally found it on E-bay... it's a guitar sling... I paid $5 for it!

- Clint
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I asked my wife if she wanted a pink AR, she asked me if I wanted to be slapped.

I said, "Yes!" one thing lead to another, now I have a 6 month old daughter. Maybe she will want a pink AR.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I asked my wife if she wanted a pink AR, she asked me if I wanted to be slapped.

I said, "Yes!" one thing lead to another, now I have a 6 month old daughter. Maybe she will want a pink AR.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4932710166_dc08959962_b.jpg

Now that was funny!
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#23]
why does an ar for a girl has to be pink or girlie??

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
why does an ar for a girl has to be pink or girlie??

It doesn't. Some women like pink guns. My wife has a pink Sig Mosquito and is anxiously awaiting her completely pink AR with a Kuromi stencil.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#25]

My wife loves the color pink.

That's her 1st anniversary gift.  Spike's lower with a Bushmaster 20" 1:7" Gov't upper and Cav Arms furniture.

She's not ready for Camp Perry just yet, but I wouldn't want to stand 100 yards down range of her.  

I went with the 20" for two primary reasons:
1) Longer handguard.  The wife is on the tall side so the extra room is nice.
2) Rifle-length gas system offers a smoother recoil impulse.

IMO, rifles also don't have quite as much 'bark' as carbines do.  For infrequent shooters, that's one less thing to have to adjust to.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Amen on that.

My 13 daughter hates pink

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Stag upper, Spikes lower, PA red dot.

I was going to do it in pink, but then I told her to go to the store and pick out whatever color krylon she wanted. She likes it, and I got another gun in my cabinet
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top