Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2011 7:15:01 PM EDT
Getting a DD m4 - trying to decide on whether to purchase the mod with the iron sights or go slick.

Will purchase an EoTech optic for the weapon as well.

Are the iron sights suggested or is that a personal preference?

Any reason why I should or should NOT get the mod with the iron sights?

All opinions welcome.

Thank You in advance for your time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It's completely personal preference.

I used to think a FSB with a red dot was dumb but I've come to prefer it. With magnified optics I prefer no FSB.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I am waiting on my DD M4 #3, all LPGB. I like the gas block protected under the rail. I wouldn't mind the FSP though, will eventually get one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Getting a DD m4 - trying to decide on whether to purchase the mod with the iron sights or go slick.

All opinions welcome.

Thank You in advance for your time.

Personal preference. Decide what the mission of the AR will be & that will dictate how you set it up obviously.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer not having a fixed front sight.  When viewing a target through an RDS, the view is less cluttered when that FSB is not there.

Of course, if the RDS dies, I'll have to take time to deploy the front and rear sights.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I prefer not having a fixed front sight.  When viewing a target through an RDS, the view is less cluttered when that FSB is not there.

Of course, if the RDS dies, I'll have to take time to deploy the front and rear sights.

this is the trade off for me. I like to use DD fixed Irons, with aimpoint t-1s. sure, there is a little bit of noise in the view, but not to much for me.

the aforementioned point about taking time to deploy the sights is enough for me to compromise. As it were, the last situation I would want to be in is really needing irons on a two way range and having to stop and deploy them. seconds count and all that.

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can't shoot with irons, you don't know how to use an AR properly. Get folding sights.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you're sighting with the red dot properly then the FSB doesn't clutter anything.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

IMHO split the difference and get a good set of folding sights.

I was in the Army for 11 years and used an AR platform weapon all over the world in real life situations.

I wish I had this issued to me.
l
l
l
V

It is my DD M4 V7 w/ EOTech

What style iron sights a weapon has on them now is all personal preference. We live in a great time with lots of fantastic choices, find some different ones and try them out. The plastic Magpul sights I have work great, I’m glad I got them. I don’t like fixed iron sights because I like to have the freedom and flexibility to do what I want. Folding sights give me that. I love the EOTech with folding front and rear back up sights and like I said earlier I wish I could have had this weapon, in this exact configuration issued to me while I was in the military.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO split the difference and get a good set of folding sights.

I was in the Army for 11 years and used an AR platform weapon all over the world in real life situations.

I wish I had this issued to me.
l
l
l
V
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/turboculture/DD_V7.jpg

It is my DD M4 V7 w/ EOTech

What style iron sights a weapon has on them now is all personal preference. We live in a great time with lots of fantastic choices, find some different ones and try them out. The plastic Magpul sights I have work great, I’m glad I got them. I don’t like fixed iron sights because I like to have the freedom and flexibility to do what I want. Folding sights give me that. I love the EOTech with folding front and rear back up sights and like I said earlier I wish I could have had this weapon, in this exact configuration issued to me while I was in the military.

Hope this helps.

Very Helpful.  Thank You.

Can you share the link to the magpul sights you refer to above?  I can't seem to locate it on the Magpul website.

In general, appreciate everyone's time and assistance.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can you share the link to the magpul sights you refer to above?  I can't seem to locate it on the Magpul website.

Here

and

Here (But you can find them all over the web.)

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I got the v5 so I prefer slick...that way I can concentrate on my preferred sight which is an optic. BUIS are back ups for me, even though I enjoy shooting irons.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#12]
It depends on use.  For a range rifle i would go with flippers.  For a duty or HD rifle I go with fixed, my patrol rifle wear a FSB, DD 1.5 rear, and an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't use back up sights at all.  With todays optics I am never going to be in a situation where I am going to need them.  That is just me, maybe not for you.  I also use traditional riflescopes that don't take batteries.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you can't shoot with irons, you don't know how to use an AR properly. Get folding sights.

There are more than a few people who go into harms way every day without back up irons.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I went from this

To this

I personally like the weapon mounted light in the 12 o'clock position, I had no problem out of the Troy flip ups, but I like the DD fixed sights better.  The more I shoot, the more I like fixed better, and I plan on getting DD fixed rear sights for my other carbines in the future.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top