Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2012 10:46:20 AM EDT
Who makes the best large charging handle latch?

Just the latch. No overpriced charging handle assembly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
"Best" is extremely relative.  

What style are you looking for?  

The cheapest is just an extended standard latch - you can get them for $11.99 shipped on eBay.  

More expensive options in several different styles exist.  

For all intents and purposes, they're relatively simple parts, and any and all breakage I've heard of has been associated with the charging handle, not the latch - though I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a photo of a broken latch.  

I prefer flat extended latches personally, versus the Badger type with the big, wide, vertical "pad."  

My personal favorite is the PRI latch that's on their GasBuster charging handles, because it's low snag, but increases functionality.  Nevertheless, it's an opinion thing as far as style of extended latch goes.

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the black rain one.  I put it on my scoped upper and it grabs well and doesn't seem to flex the charging handle like my badger ordenance.

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I like my PRI combat latch.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I like the black rain one.  I put it on my scoped upper and it grabs well and doesn't seem to flex the charging handle like my badger ordenance.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x282/balloo932/DSCN0189.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x282/balloo932/IMG_2747.jpg

Wow! That looks really nice/just what I am looking for.

Good price too.

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Best is subjective.
The BCM Gunfighter is reinforced behind the latch and cost about the same as buying a standard CH and adding a tactical latch.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Best is subjective.
The BCM Gunfighter is reinforced behind the latch and cost about the same as buying a standard CH and adding a tactical latch.

I like the BCM way more than my normal CH. I'd rather buy a complete BCM assembly than just buy the latch for a reg handle, IMO its definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Best is subjective.

the BCM is the best CH you can get
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
For a few bucks more you can also get the Core15 Ver2 CH.  They give a "free shipping" deal every now and then and that is when I picked up two.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best is subjective.

This!
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
ditto the BCM; currently $37.99 at brownells.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best is subjective.

This!

Yup...Same here,stronger and better.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best is subjective.

This!

Yup...Same here,stronger and better.

Agreed
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#13]
What large latch does the BCM use?
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What large latch does the BCM use?

AR-15/M16 BCM GUNFIGHTER CHARGING HANDLE
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate the link but, I meant is there anywhere I can buy the Large latch they use? I can't find any info on which one they use or where to get it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I do not believe they sell just the latch seperately since it is designed purposely for their handle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]
The large is way too large in my opinion. Like the BCM med.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Depends on what optic you are using in my opinion.  The large gunfighter works well with  magnified scopes with large eye boxes.  Other than that I like the med.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I favor the badger gen 1 latches.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the mod 4. It is just what I am looking for. But don't need a charging handle assembly.

I will just get the black rain latch.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like the mod 4. It is just what I am looking for. But don't need a charging handle assembly.

I will just get the black rain latch.
Quoted:

I understand that you say you don't need a charging handle assembly but I would still strongly consider picking up a BCM handle sometime.  Read up about them and what they have done to fix the issues with the old handles and you will see why it is superior in every way, just my .02
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 4:02:03 AM EDT
[#23]
This is one of those cases where it's worth spending the little bit extra to get the right part.

If the difference between $15 and $37 is whether or not you have groceries this week, you might wanna re-prioritize.

Get the BCM.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I picked up the Badger Ordnance Gen 2 tac latch. I note that my CH does still flex when I try to pull it back from just the latch side. I'm not sure if that's related to my CH or to the latch or what.

I like its length but wish it were taller. I think the BCM medium CH is perfect, but I was looking for just the latch, not the whole assembly.

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#25]
For years I upgraded all of my charging handles to the PRI Big Latch and loved it, until I broke a charging handle doing drills at the range. At the time, the BCM CH was new and not that many people had tried it yet, so I replaced my broken CH and drove on. A couple of months later I saw a thread here where people were raving about them, so I bought all three sizes and decided to see for myself. Long story short, I'm a convert-the BCM CH is reinforced exactly where I broke mine, so I've been slowly upgrading my training and defensive ARs to the BCM CH with the medium latch (mod 4 I think it is). It's worth the money, and it truly is an excellent product. I'm not much of an early adopter, nor do I care about the latest trends or "fashion" accessories for the AR. Heck, the Surefire M500 forends that I favor have been obsolete since 2004 That said, I consider the BCM CH with medium latch to be standard equipment on any AR that is used for more than punching paper on a square range.

Try one, you won't be sorry. If you decide that you don't like it I'll buy it from you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I have the Badger Tac latch. Great price and does exactly what I need it to do. I have never had, nor have I seen, a charging handle latch break. That said, I'm sure they do break, but if they did with any regularity a fix would have been made long ago.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#27]
we have broken more than one charging handle with the badger latches after sticking a case in the chamber.... the leverage is not pulling backwards, but sideways....
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For years I upgraded all of my charging handles to the PRI Big Latch and loved it, until I broke a charging handle doing drills at the range. At the time, the BCM CH was new and not that many people had tried it yet, so I replaced my broken CH and drove on. A couple of months later I saw a thread here where people were raving about them, so I bought all three sizes and decided to see for myself. Long story short, I'm a convert-the BCM CH is reinforced exactly where I broke mine, so I've been slowly upgrading my training and defensive ARs to the BCM CH with the medium latch (mod 4 I think it is). It's worth the money, and it truly is an excellent product. I'm not much of an early adopter, nor do I care about the latest trends or "fashion" accessories for the AR. Heck, the Surefire M500 forends that I favor have been obsolete since 2004 That said, I consider the BCM CH with medium latch to be standard equipment on any AR that is used for more than punching paper on a square range.

Try one, you won't be sorry. If you decide that you don't like it I'll buy it from you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I will echo the same sentiment..

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
ditto the BCM; currently $37.99 at brownells.

Thank you, that's $10 off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best is subjective.

+1

Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Agree with the others, BCM all the way.  I've tried a few, and wont bother with any others now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best is subjective.

+1000
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 4:22:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on what optic you are using in my opinion.  The large gunfighter works well with  magnified scopes with large eye boxes.  Other than that I like the med.

Ok, I get that. I guess I don't run anything other than red dots right now, so the large does seem big. Might try the large if I run something bigger.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I picked up the Badger Ordnance Gen 2 tac latch. I note that my CH does still flex when I try to pull it back from just the latch side. I'm not sure if that's related to my CH or to the latch or what.

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/2-BO24920.jpg

I like its length but wish it were taller. I think the BCM medium CH is perfect, but I was looking for just the latch, not the whole assembly.

Pic on the rifle

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top